Seven

Eternal Love

 

They are sitting in the middle of the restaurant. Ra Eun orders a serving of pork belly and another serving of pork cutlet, while Won Sik asks for a bowl of chicken broth.

“Why are you ordering so little,” Ra Eun asks.

“I'm not hungry,” he replies.

“You didn't order anything either when we were at the coffee shop. Is it because you're low on money?”

“No. I'm simply not hungry.”

“Did you have a big breakfast?”

“No. I just don't have an appetite that's all.”

She nods her head, though she is concerned.

After the late lunch, Won Sik drives them back to Classy Clicks.

“Thank you for the late lunch,” Ra Eun says.

“You're welcome.”

They're standing in front of Classy Clicks.

“Have a safe trip back,” he tells her.

He walks back inside, and into the office.

“You're back,” Dae Hyun greets.

“Yeah. The website will be ready after we move in to our new building,” Won Sik replies.

“Great,” Sung Yeol says.

“You know what was weird though,” Won Sik asks. He sits on his chair. “She doesn't want to get paid.”

“What did she say,” Jin Young asks.

“She said she's willing to do it for free,” Won Sik says. “Because I'm her friend. Which I think is weird because I never considered her as a friend. We were just classmates for one class.”

“Maybe she likes you,” Sung Yeol comments.

“No,” Won Sik rejects. “Why would she?”

“Why wouldn't she,” Jin Young asks. “You're tall, handsome, have your own business, and even getting rich. Gosh, even I'm falling in love with you.”

“Stop it,” Won Sik says. “If she does like me, I don't want to date.”

“Then you have to tell her that yourself,” Dae Hyun says. “Don't lead her on like I told Dong Jun.”

“Speaking of the devil, did he reject Jin Hee or accept her,” Jin Young asks.

“No idea,” Sung Yeol replies.

 

After months of working, Won Sik and the guys finally launches their new product. Many of their customers come to visit and buy their new product. They were making twice as much money as they were before. After business hours, Won Sik and the guys are in the conference room.

“Everything went well,” Won Sik says. “I'm proud of you all, but we're even going to be busier. You guys know what we have to do now right?”

“Yes,” they all reply like high school students.

“We're going to move buildings,” Dong Jun says.

“We're going to be very busy, and I appreciate your patience. You're the best workers and friends I could ever ask for,” Won Sik states.

“What is this pep talk for,” Jin Young asks.

“Nothing,” Won Sik replies. “I just wanted to let you guys know.”

“You're a pretty good boss too,” Sung Yeol replies.

“Thank you.”

The moving takes another two months. They've put everything to a halt, so they can move freely.

Ra Eun comes take pictures in between. Every time she comes, she greets everyone with a smile.

Everything is going well, they are almost done moving, but everything comes to another halt when Won Sik receives a phone call.

“This is Kim Sun Ae from Sunny Shoes,” the person from the other line says. “Is this Kim Won Sik?”

“This is him,” Won Sik replies.

“Mr. Kim, I would like to inform you that you have stolen my work. Please get rid of it before I take this to court.” She hangs up.

Won Sik is stunned. He's standing in his new office, but quickly walks to the others. They are setting up the displays in the store.

“Sung Yeol,” Won Sik says with a stern face. “Follow me.” He leads them to his new office. “I want to ask you something.”

“What is it,” SungYeol asks.

“Did you steal the design you claimed you created?”

“No, why would I steal? You know I create everything on my own.”

Won Sik sighs.

“Why,” Sung Yeol asks. “Is something wrong?”

“Stay here,” Won Sik commands. He goes to the front and commands for everyone to go to the back. He tells them that they are accused of plagiarism.

“What,” Dae Hyun asks. “Who accused us?”

“Kim Sun Ae from Sunny Shoes,” Won Sik replies.

“Where,” Sung Yeol asks. “How? I would never steal other people's works.”

“Yeah, but do you think she'd believe that,” Won Sik asks.

“Did she tell you which work we ‘stole’,” Jin Young asks.

“She hung up on me before I could ask,” Won Sik replies.

“Call her back and ask. Then we can confirm,” Dong Jun says.

“I could call and ask, but I don't think she's going to let this slide,” Won Sik says. “She says we must get rid of the heels, if not, she's going to take us to court.”

“What right does she have, when we didn't do anything wrong,” Jin Young asks.

“If our design looks exactly like hers,” Won Sik tells Jin Young, “we could lose a lot.”

“Call her,” Sung Yeol says. “Ask her what type of heel we plagiarized. If she wants an explanation, tell her to call me. I'm the one who designed it.”

“I'll take care of this, so don't worry,” Won Sik assures. He calls Kim Sun Ae again.

“What,” she asks annoyed.

“This is Kim Won Sik from Classy Clicks,” Won Sik introduces.

“I know who you are, so tell me why you're calling.”

“I called to ask you a question. Which of your product do you suspect that we plagiarized?”

“Why are you asking that? You should know since you stole it.”

“I obviously don't know that's why I'm asking you.”

“My product that came out two weeks ago. You stole it, and have the guts to call and ask me? Don't you have any shame?”

“I promise you that we didn't plagiarize. It could just be a coincidence. Let me talk to my designer. After we've discussed, I'll call you again.”

“I don't want you to talk to your designer and call me back. I want you to disable that product, and then call me back.”

“I can't do that unless I've confirmed myself that we stole your product.”

“I've confirmed it. I've looked at both the products, and they look exactly the same.”

“I'll give you a call back after I've examined things from my side.”

“Don't drag this, Mr. Kim. I'm not afraid to take you to court, and let me tell you, I can sue you to a million dollars.”

“I understand.”

They hang up.

“What did she say,” Sung Yeol asks.

“The product from two weeks ago,” Won Sik replies. “Our new product looks like the one she designed two weeks ago.” Won Sik logs into his laptop and looks up the product.

Sung Yeol runs over to Won Sik’s side and stares at the laptop. Everyone else crowds around.

“She's right,” Sung Yeol says defeated. “They look exactly the same.”

“How is that possible,” Dong Jun asks.

“There's always a chance that this can happen,” Dae Hyun replies.

“We've confirmed it,” Won Sik says. “We have to call back, but first, we need to think of a plan.”

“What plan,” Jin Young asks.

“She wants us to disable the product,” Won Sik answers. “That means we must give everyone a refund. Our time and money will go down the drain.”

“This can't be happening,” Sung Yeol says disappointed. “I'm sorry, guys. I let everyone down.”

“It's not your fault,” Won Sik comforts Sung Yeol. “Either we face the problem or we ask her if we can buy the product.”

“Let's face the problem,” Sung Yeol says. “I'll let everyone know that it's my fault.”

“No,” Won Sik says. “It's my fault for not looking into the product first. I'll take the blame.”

“But,”

“I'm the boss of Classy Clicks,” Won Sik cuts Sung Yeol off. “I have to take the responsibility.”

Won Sik calls Kim Sun Ae again and apologizes. He tells her that he will disable the product and give a refund to everyone who he sold the shoes to.

Kim Sun Ae yells at Won Sik for even suspecting her to be wrong.

Won Sik apologizes about ten times making Sung Yeol hang his head.

“Everything is done,” Won Sik says. “We must give everyone a refund. Send out a message, so who ever bought it can come receive their refund.”

This goes on for weeks. Some customers are furious at them, while some customers are very understanding. They apologize to many customers, and no apologize could make them feel better.

After returning the last refund, Won Sik heads to his office. He sits down at his desk and sighs. This has taken so much toll out of him. Won Sik feels so weak.

“Won Sik,” Sung Yeol says quietly.

“Yes?” Won Sik gathers up all the energy he has left, so Sung Yeol doesn't keep feeling down. He knows that Sung Yeol has already suffered a lot.

“I'm very sorry,” Sung Yeol says. “I know I caused you and everyone else a lot of stress.”

“You don't have to keep apologizing. I know you're sorry, but you're not to blame. This happens to many people. We're not alone. I'll make sure nothing like this ever happens again.”

“I'm very sorry.”

“Stop. Go help the others finish setting the place up.”

“Okay.”

Sung Yeol slowly walks back to the front of the store. Everyone comforts Sung Yeol.

Won Sik sighs and lies back on his seat.

That night, they finish setting the place up and head home. At home, Won Sik lies in bed with so many thoughts in his head.

“What did I ever do to suffer so much?”

His mom, his business, everything just keeps replaying in his head. The negativity is taking more and more energy out of him.

The next day, Won Sik goes open the shop. As he is doing so, he receives a phone call.

“Hello,” he asks into the phone.

“Won Sik, it's me,” he hears Ra Eun say brightly. “Is there a time I can come over today?”

“Come over when you're free. I should be in the office all day.”

“Great! I'll see you at noon!”

He hangs up and walks inside. Won Sik goes to his office and sets up his work. Soon, everyone starts to arrive.

At noon, Ra Eun arrives. Jin Hee is with her.

“Welcome,” Dong Jun greets.

“Hello,” Ra Eun replies. “Won Sik is here right?”

“He's in the back.”

“Thank you.”

Ra Eun heads to the back while Jin Hee sticks around.

Awkwardness swallows them.

“Hi,” Jin Hee greets him. “Have you been well?”

“Hey,” he greets back. “Yeah. Have you?”

“Yeah.”

Awkwardness swallows them again.

“Listen,” Dong Jun starts. “About what you said.”

“You don't have to tell me,” she cuts him off. “I've been thinking about it, and I think it's better if you don't answer me.”

“But.”

“Just forget what I said.” She avoids eye contact with him.

He comes out from behind the register and makes his way over to her.

“Lets date,” he says.

She looks up at him with wide eyes,

“You're the first woman to ever ask me out,” he says.

“You're the first man I asked out,” she blurts.

He chuckles. “I like that you're bold. Do you still want to give this a try?”

She nods her head and looks at him with wide open.

“Okay,” he says with a smile. “This marks the first day we're together.”

She nods her head again.

“So,” he trails off. “When should we go on our first date?”

Jin Hee goes on her tiptoes and places her hands on his cheek. She pulls him in and closes her eyes and kisses him.

He is shocked by her actions, yet he is amazed. He closes his eyes and puts his arms around her waist and pulls her closer.

Jin Hee opens her eyes shocked, but she closes them again and wraps her arms around his neck.

Ra Eun knocks on Won Sik’s door.

Won Sik is typing away on his laptop. He hears the knock and lifts his head up. “Come in,” he says.

She walks in smiling.

“Guess what,” she asks. “I'm done!”

“With the website,” he asks.

“Yes!”

“Will you show me?”

“Of course!” She walks over to him. “I'm going to do it on your laptop. I'll give you the domain and teach you how to update it.”

She does so, and he nods his head.

“Actually,” she starts. “I want to take pictures of the building since everything is in place. I'll upload them onto the site and teach you how.”

“Sounds good.”

He stands up from his chair, and they leave to the front.

“Are you done,” Jin Hee asks. She is walking around observing the new place, while Dong Jun is back at his station.

“I'm going to take some pictures first, and then upload them to the site,” Ra Eun replies. She takes out her camera from her bag and starts taking pictures. Ra Eun also goes take a picture of the building outside. After she is done, Won Sik and her walk back to his office. There, she teaches him how to upload the pictures and how to add captions if he wanted to.

“This looks easy enough,” Won Sik says.

“It gets really easy once you get used to it,” Ra Eun replies.

“Thank you. I appreciate all the hard work you've put into this.”

“It was nothing. I enjoyed making the site. If you have any questions, just give me a call.”

He nods his head.

“I'll be leaving then,” she says.

“Have a safe trip back,” he replies.

She smiles and leaves with Jin Hee.

Afterwards, Won Sik calls everyone into his office, so he can show them the website and how it works.

“If you want to put anything or add any information that I could be missing, feel free to do so,” Won Sik says.

“That's so cool,” Jin Young chimes. “Ra Eun made this all by herself?”

“We should pay her back. Not with money of course,” Dae Hyun says.

“We can invite her to dinner,” Dong Jun replies.

“That sounds good,” Won Sik says.

“And this isn't the only good news,” Dong Jun says.

“What else is there,” Jin Young asks.

“I've decided to date Jin Hee."

“No way!” They cheer him on and give him pats on the back.

“Today is our first day together,” Dong Jun smiles.

“We definitely have to celebrate,” Dae Hyun replies.

“Plus,” Sung Yeol adds. “I'm working on another design. I'll make sure not to make the same mistake twice.”

“Show me the sketch,” Won Sik replies.

“I will after I'm done.”

“Dae Hyun, call Ra Eun and ask where she wants to go for dinner,” Won Sik commands.

“Yes, sir,” Dae Hyun replies.

Won Sik dismisses them.

A few hours past, and Dae Hyun makes the announcement that Ra Eun has agreed to dinner, and she'll be bringing Jin Hee along with her.

After work, Won Sik locks the place up. When he turns around to walk to his car, he sees that the guys are standing behind him.

“What are you guys doing,” he asks them.

“We're waiting for you, so we can go to dinner,” Jin Young says.

“You guys go on ahead. I don't feel like going to dinner tonight.”

“Oh come on,” Dae Hyun says. “Lets go. Let's celebrate for opening up a new place, and say goodbye to all the stress.”

“Please,” they plead.

Won Sik wants to say no, but they're pleading with their eyes, so Won Sik gives in.

They all drive their car to the restaurant Dae Hyun had reserved earlier.

 

“Order anything,” Sung Yeol says. “I'll be the one to pay.”

“Are you sure,” Won Sik asks.

“Yes. With the money I'm making, I can afford this.”

“Thank you,” everyone except Won Sik sings.

They all give their orders to the waitress and also hand back their menus. Pretty soon, their food arrives.

“Won Sik,” Sung Yeol says. “Is that enough for you?”

“Yeah,” Won Sik replies. “Vegetable soup is enough.”

“I've noticed that you haven't been eating a lot this month. Is something wrong?”

“Yeah. It seems you've lost weight,” Dae Hyun comments.

“Everything is fine,” Won Sik assures them. “Enjoy your dinner.”

“They're right,” Ra Eun adds. “It does look like you lost weight. Is there something bothering you? Perhaps work has overwhelmed you.”

“No,” Won Sik replies. “Please eat.”

After dinner, they all head to their own cars, but Ra Eun runs over to Sung Yeol and asks him about Won Sik.

“Is something going on,” she asks him. “He doesn't look like himself.”

“I'm not in the position to be telling his problems to you you know? Since they're not my problems,” Sung Yeol replies.

“I understand, but I'm worried about him. He didn't even finish his soup.”

“All I can say is, it's personal problems. If you want to know, you can ask him.”

“Okay. Thanks.”

 

The next day, when work hours are done, everyone has left except Won Sik. He has some work to finish, so he stays a little longer. Once he is done, he locks the store and heads to his car. In the parking lot, he sees Ra Eun waiting for him by his car.

“Hi,” she greets him.

“Is something wrong,” he asks.

“No. Nothing's wrong, however, I was wondering if you wanted to go out for dinner.”

“No thank you. I'm tired. I want to go home.” He unlocks his car and puts his laptop in his car.

“Won Sik,” Ra Eun says.

He looks at her who is standing on the other side of the car.

“I don't know what's going on,” she continues. “But whatever it is, I want to help.”

“Thank you, but I don't need your help,” he says.

He opens the door to the drivers side.

“Wait,” she says.

He stops what he is doing and feels her arms around his waist. She rests her head on his back.

“Won Sik, I like you,” she confesses.

He takes her hands off of him and gently pushes her back. Won Sik turns to face her.

“I don't like you. I don't want to date,” he says coldly.

He climbs into his car and turns the engine on before he drives off.

That night, he is restless again. Won Sik is tossing and turning in bed. He doesn't know when, but he's developed a voice inside his head, “Why are you even living? You are a mistake. You ruined your mother's life. You shouldn't even be here. You even brought stress into your own business. What are you even doing right now?”

The next day, work hours are just about to end when Ra Eun comes by with Jin Hee. She's packed dinner for everyone. Ra Eun gives one to Dong Jun, and he thanks her. She also gives one to Sung Yeol, Dae Hyun, and Jin Young. They all thank her with smiles on their faces. She visits Won Sik last. Ra Eun knocks on the door.

“Come in,” he says after seeing that it's her.

“I made you dinner,” she says.

He doesn't say anything. He keeps working.

“I don't know if it's to your liking,” she continues.

“You can take it back,” he says. “I'm not hungry.”

“You have to eat dinner, and I'm sure you haven't ate anything all day.”

“Please take it back.”

“No.” She sets the lunch box on the table. “I won't leave until I see you finish the food.”

He stops typing on his laptop and makes eye contact with her.

“It's doesn't matter if you sit here and stare at me or if you leave. I won't eat,” he says sternly.

“Why won't you eat,” she asks. “If something is wrong will you please tell me, so I can help you?”

“Why would I tell you when we're not even close?”

“What do you mean we're not close?”

“I never considered you as my friend. We were and always will be classmates. I'm grateful that you even consider me as your friend, but I don't think like you do.”

She frowns. “So we're just classmates?”

“Correct. And that's what we'll remain to be. Please take your lunch box.” He goes back to typing.

“Jerk,” she says. “Bastard!” Ra Eun turns around and storms out of the room.

Everyone hears the shout and Ra Eun storming out. She slams the door shut when she enters the front of the store.

“Is something wrong,” Jin Hee asks. She was talking with Dong Jun happily.

“I'm leaving,” Ra Eun says as she storms out the store.

Jin Hee and Dong Jun looks at each other with the same question running in their mind: what happened?

Jin Hee runs toward Ra Eun. “What's wrong,” Jin Hee asks.

Ra Eun unlocks her car door and climbs in. Jin Hee climbs in as well.

“Ra Eun, what happened,” Jin Hee asks.

Ra Eun turns the engine on. “Bastard,” Ra Eun mumbles. She zooms off.

“What happened,” the guys ask Won Sik who is still typing away.

“I rejected her,” Won Sik replies.

“Oh,” they reply.

Won Sik turns his laptop off and gives the lunch box to the guys.

“You can have that,” he says.

They're all in the front of the store.

“I'm leaving,” Won Sik says. “You guys close the store.” He leaves without another word.

“Something is happening,” Sung Yeol says. “I don't think Won Sik is fine anymore.”

“He's not himself anymore,” Jin Young says sadly.

“Maybe his relationship with his mom is getting worse,” Dong Jun adds.

“His relationship with his mom got worse when he went to visit her,” Dae Hyun says.