Later that Night

Learning Together

 

When he’s finally able to get himself moving, Minho sits on his bed and texts his friends.

Chat: The College OGs + Kyuhyun

Minho: So

Changmin: ?

Minho: I may have accidentally confessed my feelings to Kibum

Suho: WHEN WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL US SOONER

Minho: dude....it just happened....like 5 minutes ago

Suho: oh ok proceed tell us everything

Kyuhyun: you should’ve kept it quiet suho’s going to plan your wedding now

Kyuhyun: wait what do you mean accidentally

Changmin: You’re not drunk right it’s only 7:30

Minho: I talked to Hyukjae about my feelings and I needed to shave again but my wrist still isn’t up to par so I asked Kibum to help me and it just kind of came out

Changmin: youre the most unintentionally gay person i know and love you for it

Kyuhyun: OK BUT WHAT DID HE SAY

Suho: OK BUT HOW DID YOU SAY IT

Minho: I was having trouble not-looking at him and he asked why i was staring and ‘because i love you’ just kind of slipped out and then i explained that i was being truthful and he said that he likes me too and we’re supposed to talk about it over dinner when he gets out of the shower

Changmin: its a miracle that you’re functional dude your gay level is too high

Changmin: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) did ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) anything ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) happen ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) after ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Suho: So I’m at that new bar that opened up a few blocks away if i stop by will you do a live reenactment of it because i want to make sure i’m imagining it right

Kyuhyun: wait you talked to Hyukjae about it

Minho: yeah, i went to get my wrist looked at

Changmin: THAT CHEATER

Minho: ?????????

Changmin: we’ve had bets for weeks about you two and Hyuk used you to win it

Minho: !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!

Kyuhyun: Chang and I were saying Kibum would have to confess first

Suho: I said that you two would dramatically confess at the same time after one of you trip causing you two to kiss accidently

Minho: what did Hyuk/Hae say?

Changmin: they said you’d do it first

Suho: But if it wasn’t intentional....did they actually win because they said he’d work up the nerve to

Minho: -_-
Minho: I have to go eat dinner now

 

The timer goes off just as Minho comes into the kitchen. He turns it off and grabs the casserole out of the oven. Kibum comes out as he’s portioning it out.

“Oh, perfect timing.”

“I heard the timer go off and figured I should hurry.”

“I would’ve waited for you.”

The words seem to hold more weight than Minho intends and so he shyly hands Kibum his plate without another word. They sit down to eat, avoiding each other’s eyes. Though confessing should’ve been the hardest part, now that their feelings are somewhat in the open, they both find themselves shyer than ever. Minho can hear his phone going off in his room and he gets up to silence it. He’s got 30 unread messages, all in the same chat, and he doesn’t even want to know what they’re saying.

“Is there an emergency or something?” Kibum asks when he sits back down.

“Oh, no it’s nothing. Suho, Changmin, Kyuhyun, and my old roommate apparently had a bet about how long it would take for me to confess to you.”

Kibum laughs a little, taking another bite of casserole.

“So, about that...”

“About that.” Kibum echoes, putting his fork down.

“Like I said, I know it’s probably too soon to actually call it love, but I really really like you, Kibum. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt anything like this for someone. I know it’s weird, because we live together and that sort of thing, but if you think there’s a chance that we could work I’d really love to try. But if you don’t want to, I promise I’m not going to like throw you out or treat you badly or anything; I...I can put my feelings aside, just as long as you’re happy-”

“Minho.” Kibum interrupts.

There’s a soft smile on his face and it eases Minho’s embarrassment at his own rambling.

“I...I would like to try. Slowly. I’ve never really, I haven’t...this is my first time liking someone this much. My first time having someone that I feel I could learn to trust.”

“I can do slow.”

“If anyone has the patience of a saint, a kindergarten teacher would be my first guess.”

Minho smiles and they continue eating dinner. When they’re done, they wash dishes together like normal, but there’s something special this time about being so close. By accident, Minho’s arm bumps against Kibum’s. A while later, Kibum’s brushes against Minho’s. Though he tries not to read into it, there’s still a giddy feeling. They finish quicker than he’d like, and since it’s a school night they each go to their own rooms.

*

Two hours later, Minho’s laying in bed, trying to read through all 75 messages that Suho, Changmin, Kyuhyun, Hyukjae, and Donghae had sent. He laughs at Suho’s wedding plans, the way the five fight over who won the bet, and advice on where to go for a first day. It’s been thunderstorming for over an hour now, and though he doesn’t mind the noise, he has a distinctly uneasy feeling. There’s a tap on his door.

“Come in.” he says, reaching to turn on his bedside lamp.

Kibum peaks in and even from this distance Minho can see the tears running down his cheeks.

“Can I...is it ok if...”

“Come on in, Kibum, it’s alright.”

Kibum shuts the door before him and moves quickly to sit on the edge of Minho’s bed. He flinches when there’s another roll of thunder and Minho offers him his hand. Kibum goes to take it, but hesitates.

“I don’t...I don’t want to hurt your...your bad wrist.”

“Is it the thunder that’s got you all worked up or something else?”

“It’s...it’s the thunder.”

“The radar says it’s supposed to thunderstorm all night. Do you want to just share my bed again, like when you were sick? I don’t mind if it makes you feel better.”

Kibum chews his lip and looks unsure, but when there’s more lightening and thunder he nods.

“You’re gonna have to grab your pillow, okay? Or would you rather me go get it?”

“I...I can get it...should...should I grab...grab a blanket?”

“If you want to. I was a bad blanket hog when I was little but I don’t know how much of one I am now.”

Kibum nods and after a minute, when the storm quiets down ever so slightly, he runs out to his room. Minho scoots over to one side of the bed, making space for Kibum. He comes back with his blanket and pillow, clinging to them. He lays down facing Minho, back to the window. Minho reaches out his left hand and Kibum takes it in both of his.

“Will you do me a favor? I usually put two alarms on, one that plays the radio and the other that plays a recording of Changmin yelling. I don’t want the other one to freak you out, so I’m going to turn that one off. Will you make sure I get up in the morning?”

Kibum nods and Minho turns that alarm off.

“Have you always been afraid of thunder, Kibum?” Minho asks softly.

“Not always. When I was eight or so, I lost my house key and got stuck outside in a bad storm. One of the trees in the front yard got struck by lightning. I’ve been scared ever since then.”

“That makes sense. When I was little, I went to the mall with a friend and his mom. We were playing around and he went running up the escalator and fell and scraped his knee up really really bad. I was afraid of escalators for a number of years after that.”

Kibum doesn’t say anything, but seems less embarrassed. The thunder gets louder and louder again; Minho pulls his phone out and sees that they’re right in the middle of the storm. Kibum holds his hand tighter and tighter.

"If I wanted to take you on a date, on Friday, would that be going too fast?" Minho asks.

"No, that'd be nice."

"I found this place the other day, I think you'll really like it."

“I know...I know I...I said that I...that I want to...to go slow...but please...please hold me...I’m...I’m so scared.” Kibum says, crying once again.

Minho rolls so that he’s on his back and Kibum scoots closer. Minho pulls him as close as Kibum will allow; Kibum’s head is resting on his chest and Minho does his best to hold him close. Though he’s slightly more at ease, Kibum’s still tense and crying.

“Would I help if I sang again? I know I’m not the best singer but you seemed to like it last time.” Minho whispers.

“I think...I think that’d help.”

Minho pulls his phone out and puts music on. It’s all jazzy numbers and swing music, but Kibum seems to enjoy it as much as he can. He stops crying after a while, and as the thunder moves away again, he manages to drift off to sleep. Minho continues to hold him, switches to humming, making sure he’s asleep. Once he’s sure he’s asleep, he gently slides Kibum off of him, turning on his side to face him.

*

He wakes to Kibum shaking him.

“Are you awake?” Kibum whispers.

“Yeah, thanks.”

“Thanks for letting me sleep here. It really helped.”

“You’re welcome, Kibum. You’re welcome anytime, in a not creepy or predatory way.”

Kibum laughs and heads towards the door. “Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.”