After the date

Learning Together

 

They hold hands all the way back to the apartment. Though he was obviously nervous at the pottery studio, Kibum seems much more relaxed now, letting Minho hold him closer to him. When they get out of the elevator for their floor, there’s a familiar face.

“Well hello, Sunny! Enjoying some...company?” Minho exclaims.

She turns to face them, eyes narrowing. “You didn’t see me here, Choi.”

They walk past her as Siwon opens the door.

“Oh hello, Minho!” he says.

“Hey, Siwon! This is my new roommate, Kibum, the one I was telling you about.”

Siwon nods at Kibum and Kibum waves back.

“Well, we have to be going,” Sunny says quickly. “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do, you two.”

Minho turns to Kibum and whispers “That list is a lot shorter than you’d think.”

Sunny smacks his arm and they all laugh. Siwon and Sunny get into the elevator as Minho finishes opening the door.

“I guess you weren’t kidding about the two of them.” Kibum says, taking off his shoes.

“Siwon and I have lived next to each other for four years and it’s always been this way. I’m just glad Sunny realized that it was me next door. I’ve heard some things I’d rather not repeat.”

Kibum laughs and walks towards his bedroom door but stops just short.

“I had a nice time, Minho. I appreciate it.”

Minho reaches out for Kibum’s hand, mostly for the sake of just holding it a little longer.

“I did too. I’d love a second date, but I’ll leave that up to you. I’ll treat, but you pick, if you want it.”

“What about next Sunday?”

“Works for me. You may have to come wake me up if you want to do something early though.”

Kibum laughs softly, squeezing Minho’s hand. Minho brings Kibum’s hand up, softly kissing his knuckles.

“Sleep well, Kibum.”

Kibum mumbles a “you too” in amongst his blushing and quickly moves into his room. Minho walks to his own, pulling out his message laden phone.

 

Chat: The College OGs + Kyuhyun

 

Suho: Sunny just texted me saying that you and Kibum are holding hands, Minho, pls confirm

Minho: Why do you trust Sunny’s commentary?

Suho: Because I’m desperate

Changmin: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) did you hold anything else ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Minho: -_-

Kyuhyun: yeah he held back his feelings probably

Suho: holding back your feelings will get you nowhere surprise him with a rose petal laden bed and champagne

Kyuhyun: I’m not saying you have to go that far but thats far more romantic than anything Chang has ever done for me

Changmin: HEY
Changmin: i guess that’s fair

Suho: so why were you holding hands were you on a date or something?

Minho: maybe

Suho: AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME?

Kyuhyun: you should’ve asked suho first that way you could stick to his script

Minho: and have you all following us? No thanks!

Changmin: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) how’d it go ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Minho: well, I think. It could’ve gone better but it was a first for both of us so

Suho: Did you at least get a kiss at the end?
Changmin: or some d?

Minho: We literally just got back, so no.

Kyuhyun: no kiss or no d

Minho: I kissed his hand

Changmin: what kind of Victorian bull is that?

Suho: Oh god that’s peak romance I’m so proud of you even though that’s not how I had this plotted out but I’ll let it slide this once

 

Minho sighs, silencing his phone. Regardless of what the others thought of the date, it was enough for him. Sleep comes quicker than expected, setting in between thoughts of Kibum’s blushing cheeks.

 

*

 

Dreams Team luckily goes by without a hitch; though he keeps replaying the image of Kibum’s blushing face in his mind, he’s able to put it aside enough to focus on today’s softball game. The friendly competition between his and Donghae’s combine group versus Hyukjae and the newest counselor Yunho -- another teacher from the school that Changmin teaches at -- is just enough to lift the atmosphere without getting ugly. When the game ends, Donghae and Hyukjae walk part of the way home with him.

“So I heard you went on a date last night?” Hyukjae teases, elbowing Minho in the side.

“Word travels that fast?”

“Oh please, Suho is practically at the point of sending out a daily newsletter.”

“With fan fiction included!” Donghae adds.

Minho sighs. As much as he cares for Kibum, the heavy involvement and annoyance of his friends is beginning to make the whole thing off-putting. Hyukjae touches his shoulder as they stop to wait for the crosswalk.

“I’m sure it must be incredibly annoying. I promise that I’ll try to keep it all contained, at least on my end, and I’ll try to put in a word to get the others to calm down. When we started dating, it was stressful enough without so many watching eyes. I can’t imagine how gross it must be for you.”

“Thanks, I appreciate it.”

Donghae bumps his other shoulder, reaching for a hug.

“Just think. If things work out you two can get married and build a house with two gates around it to keep Suho from moving in with you.”

All three of them laugh and when the crosswalk light is illuminated they part ways. Minho walks a little quicker the rest of the way home, eager to see Kibum. Sunny is once again leaving Siwon’s apartment when he reaches the hallway and though she shoots him a warning look he ignores her.

“Kibum I’m ho-”

The words are cut off by the sight of Kibum standing in the living room, tears running down his cheeks. Minho walks over to him as Kibum tries his best to clean up his tears.

“What’s wrong? What happened?”

“It’s...it’s nothing...nothing I’m fine.”

Minho holds up a hand to Kibum’s cheek.

“Kibum, this isn’t nothing...I respect if you don’t want to talk about it, but please don’t lie to me...”

Kibum takes a deep breath and attempts a smile.

“I’m just having a bad day is all. No need to worry.”

Given how much trust Kibum has put into him by moving in and being honest in the past, Minho doesn’t push the issue. Kibum reaches up and takes Minho’s hand off his cheek but continues to hold it for a moment. Minho moves towards him a half-step, pulling him into a quick hug. He’s surprised to realize he’s kissing the top of Kibum’s forehead. When he pulls away he’s surprised to see the blush on Kibum’s tear stained cheeks.

“I obviously need to shower first, but when I’m done I’m here if you need to talk to me, alright?”

“Alright.”

 

Minho goes into his room, heaving a sigh before grabbing his phone out of his back pocket.

 

Chat: The College OGs + Kyuhyun

 

Minho: So uhh what’s a good way to figure out how to comfort someone without directly asking them?

Kyuhyun: are you asking for you or for a friend

Suho: ??? Is it for Kibum ???

Changmin: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) body language is always good ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Minho: If I tell you guys the scenario do you guys promise on Changmin’s to be chill about it?

Kyuhyun: well hell how serious is this?

Suho: why do i have to promise on that?

Changmin: you know damn well the only thing you love more than minho’s love life is so just promise so we can get some juicy deets

Minho: -_-

Suho: ok we promise please tell me you’re trying to comfort Kibum

Minho: Ok I just came home from DT and Kibum was crying when I came in the apt and he said that everything’s okay he’s just having a rough day. I gave him a hug because I know that’s what makes me feel better but he didn’t really respond to it much so I know that’s not his comfort style so how do I figure it out because I know he won’t tell me on his own. He stresses out everytime I pay for things for him, so I know it’s probably not gifts. Tips?

Kyuhyun: take him out somewhere; if he seems excited to just chill together, it’s probably time. Pick up his responsibilities a time or two; if he seems super appreciative it’s probably service. Say those nice things like they teach you to in kindergarten teacher training; if he likes it it’s probably words.

Changmin: when did you become a expert in love languages

Suho: when he started dating you and you wouldn’t talk about feelings, ya ding dong.

Minho: thanks guys

 

Chat: Third Wheelin’ Forever

Donghae: hey!! U said ur boyfriend likes art right?? There’s a sidewalk art thingy downtown this weekend!! Hyuk said u could borrow our car if u want 2 go!

Minho: thanks, that’s perfect! I’ll let you know if we’ll take you up on that

Donghae: it’s from 10-6 tomorrow

 

With a mind full of ideas, Minho finally gets in the shower.

 

*

 

“So where are we going?” Kibum asks as Minho drives the car out of the parking garage.

“The nice side of downtown. Technically we could take the buses there, but it’d be a two hour ride each way rather than ten minutes so that’s why I opted for the car.”

“Are you a safe driver?”

“I mean, at this point it doesn’t matter because you’re already my passenger, but yes. I may be gay but luckily I can also drive.”

Kibum’s quiet the rest of the ride. When Minho asked him if he wanted to go out that morning, he hadn’t divulged where they were going. It may be greedy, keeping it secret, but he wanted to see what Kibum’s face would be when they got there. The drive is quick, though it takes them quite a while to park. There’s a fair number of people at the festival even though it’s a Sunday. When they finally get up to the entrance, Kibum perks up.

“Oh it’s an art festival??”

“Yeah. Donghae told me about it. You seemed down yesterday so I thought it might be nice to get you out and about and this seemed perfect.”

Their teacher I.D.s get them in free and Minho’s heart skips a beat when Kibum takes his hand and pulls him along.

“I haven’t been to an art festival since I graduated. I could never find the time or put up the money to go.”

“I’ve been to a few of the school art competitions to support old students of mine but I haven’t been to a proper art event since I graduated high school.”

“Well, luckily you have me to guide you around.”

Kibum reaches up and kisses Minho’s cheek. They both stand there for a moment, looking surprisedly at each other, before turning away with blushing cheeks.

“So...left or right?” Minho asks after a moment, gesturing at the fork in front of them.

“Uhh...left.”

They walk around the festival most of the day. Though he’s never particularly had an interest in art, Minho does his best to keep up with Kibum’s explanations and learn the terminology he repeats most often. They snack on little samples and small plates most of the day; they even buy a few tiny prints from some of the artists for their apartment. By the time the festival closes at 6 they’re both pleasantly tired. Minho drives them back to their apartment; Hyukjae had said they could return the car keys the next day as they were out on a date. When they get in, they both plop down on the little loveseat in the living room. Kibum once again takes Minho’s hand.

“Thanks for taking me out, Minho. It was really nice and I really appreciate it.”

“Oh, no problem. Like I said, you just seemed like you could use a little something to lift your spirits.”

“Sorry about kissing your cheek earlier, I should’ve asked I don’t know what came over me. I-”

“Kibum,” Minho cuts him off softly, cupping his cheek. “There’s no need to be sorry. I...it was nice. I...I liked it.”

Minho feels butterflies in his stomach when Kibum gives him that shy smile. He finds himself mindlessly Kibum’s cheek with his thumb. As they start glancing at each other’s lips and leaning closer and closer, his heart feels like it might beat out of his chest. Before he can finish closing the distance they’re interrupted by the sound of someone beating at the door followed by the sound of keys in the lock. They separate just as Donghae and Hyukjae come barreling in through the door with duffle bags.

“Sorry to crash your party but you weren’t answering your phone and long story short we’re crashing with you for a week because our apartment is unsafe.”