A Surprise Never Forgotten

A Drive Down Memory Lane

          Kicking the wooden door shut behind him, Jimin struggled to shrug his jacket off. His hands being taken up by the large amount of mail. Having spent nearly all his time at either the hospital or in is bed the last few weeks, Jimin never had the time to go down and check the mail.

           He tossed his jacket aside and slipped off his shoes, walking through the quiet apartment. Jimin chucked the pile of letters on his table, a sigh leaving his lips as he sat in his seat, switching on the television to add some background noise. One by one he sifted through his and Jeongguk's mail. Making a separate pile for Jeongguk.

           He went through all of the important ones, the bills, bank details. It was rather tiring and boring without Jeongguk there to help. He was an artist, he hated numbers and logic, he simply wanted to create art and forget about the world. Jeongguk was actually good with numbers, he was the one to take care of their taxes and bills and money, yet Jimin now had to figure these things out on his own. A small and dark thought tugged at the back of his mind, what if I will always have to do this. Jimin was quick to shake his head, Jeongguk would come back, he had to.

           He was glancing through the mail, throwing away what looked like nothing but ads and junk. He found a few art catalogues which he stashed down at the end of the couch, he had a small collection going. He typically used them as wish lists for birthdays or gift worthy holidays, always circling what he would like in a bright pink highlighter. Jeongguk always took a peek in a not so suspicious move to see what his husband wanted. They both always acted as if they didn’t know, but it was an easy cycle they had between them.

          Opening a few cards, Jimin glanced over the words written inside.

 

Jimin, I heard about the accident and I couldn’t be more sorry. You are welcome over at my house anytime you need, and please don’t hesitate to call me or Rei for anything. We are all here for you okay?

Lots of Love,

Lina

 

Minnie and Kookie,

Get Well Soon, I hope you don’t mind but I will be bringing you some food soon, as soon as I'm back in town im taking you out.

Best of Luck,

Auntie Mei

 

           Jimin was rather shocked to see his aunt had written to him, it had been a long while since he had last seen her. Maybe even before their wedding, all he knew was that it was a really long time. It pulled lightly in his chest, he didn’t see her for his wedding but this news alone was enough for her to reach out to him. It almost reminded him of how painful this situation actually was.

           He put the letters aside before opening another card, instead of words of consolation the card was colorful.

Minnie,

You have been invited to JunSu surprise party!

It will be held on January 15th at my apartment, don’t spoil the fun and tell! You don’t need to bring anything other than yourself (unless you want to spoil my bro who really doesn’t need anymore spoiling)

4859 Lake Vista Residence.

Don’t be late! The party starts at 5, he should be here by around 6

TaeHa

 

           He was already quite late, January 15th had already come and gone. He felt a little bad for not having checked the mail sooner, but even if he did, the boy hated parties. He rubbed his face and lightly tossed the card aside.

 

           A surprise birthday huh…


Jimin stood in the kitchen alone, the muffled sounds of loud laughs and talks from the living room could be heard. He plucked the half melted candles gingerly from the tip of the layered red velvet cake, careful of any wax that may still be hot. He bustled around the small kitchen, grabbing as many plates as he could. Just as he began to slice into the moist deliciousness when he felt two arms circle his waist from behind and a nose nuzzle against his shoulder.

“You know I hate surprises,” one of the naughty hands stretched forward to steal some icing from the cake. Jimin leant back against his boyfriend and he let out a light chuckle, his hand quick to smack at the mischievous hand.

“I know you do baby, but you always do something for my birthday, and it’s my turn! And I always feel like the worst boyfriend because every year you get me exactly what I want but you’re so hard to buy for.” A soft whine left the boys lips in protest as Jeongguk successfully took some icing from the cake.

“Oh don’t act like you don’t highlight your art catalogues with that pink highlighter. And besides, you’re all I need, what more could I want?” Jeongguk hummed gently, his lips pressing a gentle kiss to his lovers neck.

“Yes but you get to have me everyday, today I should be able to give you something you don’t have, just once I want to give you something you really want.” He smiled and slowly he turned around in his hold, his arms sliding around his neck. “How about we ditch the party? No one will even notice if we are gone.” Unlike Jeongguk, Jimin wasn’t much of a social butterfly, he wasn’t a fan of people, especially small apartments filled to the capacity with them.

“Oh I think they will,” he gave Jimins lips a kiss, a soft and gentle one, a kiss that never failed to make his heart flutter. “Come on, I’ll deal with the cake, you go have fun and stop hiding. I think MoonRi is a tad drunk, you should probably go and stop her before she makes a fool of herself.” He chuckled and let go of his whining lover. Turning his back to him as he resumed the lonely boys job of cutting up the cake.

“Fine, but you owe me one,” with a huff Jimin walked out of the kitchen into the oddly quiet living room. He immediately felt embarrassed when at least half of the rooms eyes were on him, What? Do I have cake on me? It took the man a little while to notice the banner against the wall, it no longer read:

 

Happy Birthday

Instead the bright blue sign now read:

Will You Marry Me?

 

Jimin was shocked to say the least, his eyes were wide and slowly filling with tears. For a moment time stopped, for a moment everyone in the room was gone. For just a single moment Jimin was completely and utterly caught off guard.

He was brought back to reality when he felt the familiar arms wrap around his waist, a chin hooking over his shoulder. “If you want to give me something I don’t already have but really really want, I think a yes would be the best gift I could receive.” His voice was gentle as his lips hovered behind his ear. “You mean the world to me, Jimin. Everyday I get to wake up to you and I know I want to do that for the rest of my life. Now, do I have to get down on one knee? Or will you spare me the trouble?” a soft chuckle emitted from his lips, though it sounded slightly nervous. One hand opened and inside was a small black box, Jimin was still frozen in Jeongguk's hold, his eyes moved down to look in the small box. There were two rings, one slightly larger than the other, the smaller of the two was lined with diamonds. Both rings were similar in the tow stones that lay flat within the band, one a rich sapphire while the other was a sparkling opal.

I spared him the trouble,

I said yes.


          Jimin’s fingers twisted the silver band around his finger, tears rolling down his cheeks. Yet these were not tears of pure joy, neither were they of sadness. But they were the tears only shed after memories, wishing to go back to that one moment, wishing to be able to stay in that time. Never wishing to let go or to give up, but to simply remember.

 

19 days down,

When will this pain go away?