Date Night Shenanigans

A Drive Down Memory Lane

The heavy door clicked shut to Jimin’s apartment, an exasperated sigh left his soft lips as he tossed to key on the table. It had taken three nurses, MoonRi, and Yoongi to convince the boy it was best he go home. Yoongi had opted to drive to boy back to the apartment for he was in no shape, mentally or physically, to be driving alone.

He tossed his jacket onto the couch, groggily making his way through their shared room. Their apartment wasn’t too extravagant, but it was nice enough for the couple. It was furnished to look rather modern, a liking to Jeongguk, although Jimin had preferred the more antique furniture. With lots of whites, greys, and subtle accents of green throughout the entire apartment. Most of the walls were lined with Jimin’s art; paintings and sketches alike. There was a rather spacious living room, with one bedroom, a small but open planned kitchen, and a lovely view of the city. Although, tonight the normally bright city seemed dull and empty. The once cozy loft turned cold.

Jimin made his way to the bathroom, finally seeing himself in the mirror. The counter lay somewhat neat, only littered with Jimin’s face creams, his and Jeongguk's toothbrush, and so forth. All the items they shared. All the items he might never share again. He heaved a sigh as he saw his red eyes, full with bags under them. His blond hair now ruffled and messy.

As he stared at himself in the mirror a memory began to tug at the back of his mind,

 

Our first date…


 

The once brunette boy was frantically getting ready. While trying to tame his hair, Jimin felt his stomach tighten with butterflies. To say he was nervous would be an understatement, he was petrified. It had been well over a year since the 20 year old had a crush, let alone been on a date. He liked to believe that being 20 he was experienced, but he really wasn’t. The only person he ever “loved” turned out to be the biggest . And prior to that he had dated a girl. Coincidently, that was the period of time he had found that he was, in fact, gay.

The boy was about to go on a date with the man he had been crushing on for months, and after the incident in the park he still knew nothing about him, not even his name. Jimin’s nerves slowly took control of him and his mind was thrown into a vortex of questions:

What if he doesn’t like me?

What if he thinks I’m annoying?

Am I dressed okay?

What if I’m overdoing it?

“Hey, Chim? Why don’t you paint anymore?” MoonRi snapped Jimin out of his thoughts. In one hand she held his sketchbook while skimming through the art, glancing at a of the chalk and pencil drawings. “You don’t use color anymore…” Jimin could hear the pout in the girls’ voice, she had been there for moral support and was doing a surprisingly good job at distracting him.

“I’m not really sure… ever since I saw him… I just stopped.” The artist shrugged, he himself not knowing why he stopped, he just no longer had the need for color.

“Maybe he was the color you needed in your life” a cheeky grin tugged at her lips, the butterflies making their way back into Jimin’s stomach.

“What... What do you mean?” Embarrassment mixed with confusion as the boy tilted his head at her statement, motioning for her to continue.

The young best friend was about to give a response when the buzzing of his phone on the counter cut them off. The alarm reading “LEAVE” across the screen as the time 7:45. It was only a 5 minute walk, but Jimin wasn’t taking any chances. A soft whimper left his throat as he noticed the time. His hands quickly moving to fidget and adjust his tie.

“You look fine, he’s going to love you.” MoonRi quietly took his fidgeting hands while handing him his jacket. His anxious eyes stared back into her calm and soothing ones. “But you do have to leave now, I have to put Amelia to bed. Seokjin is leaving in about five minutes and I promised to babysit for him, or at least until Namjoon comes back,” with a tap to Jimin’s she began walking him to the door.

With one last farewell Jimin left his friend behind. Hugging his coat tightly to his body he continued on his way to the familiar park. His anxious mind busy with thought until he remembered what his friend had said, I really don’t use color anymore… It was an odd thought. Jimin was a painter. He was a painter that worked with color. More often than not, it was his manipulation of color he was more proud of than actual accuracy. He was the color I needed… Maybe she wasn’t wrong. MoonRi was a very perceptive person after all. It was as if his life was dull, bland, and he used the colors he created to fill that void. Yet here he was, taking the most colorful person to have entered his life and he tried to capture every moment without color. It was like he was waiting for a special someone that could light the flame. With this boy around, he no longer needs to fill the void, he did that for him. But what if he lost him? He could hate everything about him, truly think he was a creep for drawing him so long. He could feel his heartbeat quicken as he started thinking of every worse possible outcome, what if I lose the color in my life.

Just as his thoughts and anxieties began to build Jimin stepped into the park, his eyes catching on to a figure beside the tree. His tall, dark figure leant against the tree. With his back facing Jimin he took the time to admire him from afar. He was dressed in all black, a leather jacket hugged his thin waist, his black dress pants fitting his form perfectly.

 

Jimin slowly stepped up behind the boy, taking a quick moment to perfect his hair, his white shirt tucked into his rather tight black pants. With a gentle clearing of his throat he watched the boy perk up and spin around. He had opened his mouth to speak, but in the end no words left his lips. Jimin blushed lighted as he admired the boy. His red dress shirt was tucked in under the leather jacket, a stark contrast between the rest of his black outfit, his black hair was pushed back from his forehead.

 

“Wow…” Jeongguk breathed out before smiling a bright smile, warming Jimin’s heart.

 

He could hear his heart beating in his ears,

 

At first it felt like love,

 

But then it felt like fear…

 

Jimin stood in the living room of the new apartment, a small hand gripping at his chest. The memories seemed to be coming back more vivid and more painful, almost like that of a movie. Replaying each scene precisely. He could remember everything; the way he felt, the way his heart fluttered, the butterflies. He could remember it all. The way their date had gone, the laughs they shared, the memories they made. It may have rained but no part of them cared.

    On the date he found that the boy was in fact attending school, he was majoring in the fine arts and was planning on becoming a songwriter, he held a job at a local café. Sometime the aspiring musician played for the café on open mic nights. Music being his passion he often found himself playing in the park for some extra money. He had even begun tutoring his neighbor, teaching the boy to play guitar.

Aside from the rain, the date had gone perfectly. Mr. Jeon, as Jimin learned from the reservation, took the male to a rather fine establishment in the heart of the city. However, later that night he sheepishly admitted to knowing the owner which was the only way he could afford the place. After a stunning meal and a continuous dance around the boy's name they took off for some desserts by the river. Jimin found that the river was one of Jeons favorite places, if he wasn’t playing in the park he was writing music here. Just as the boys had finished their hot drinks, sitting hand in hand on a bench, the heavens opened. He could still remember how unbelievably cold he was, but it didn’t really matter, he was there with him.

Jimin moved to flatten himself against the white couch, letting out a sigh. He felt lost and broken, part of him still believing his love was seconds away from walking in the door and giving him a kiss.

A kiss… the boy reached up gently touching his fingertips to his bottom lip, he could still remember… he could still remember the first time there lips had touched.

 

That kiss…

 


 

The two boys made their way to the front door of Jimin’s apartment, both soaked to the bone from the storm. His brunette hair stuck to his face as his small frame shivered, fishing for his keys he smiled when he heard the younger speak.

“Tonight was… nice, thank you.” The raven haired boy leant his shoulder against the wall, just as Jimin got the door unlocked. With his hand resting on the handle Jimin gave a gentle smile to the boy.  

“Two more..” Jimin spoke up after a small pause. Being greeted with a look of confusion he continued, holding up one of the three art works in his hand. “You took three from me, this is only one.” The young lad could only smirk playfully at the elders words. Slowly leaning in he stopped a few centimeters from the boys face, his eye quick to dart down to his lips before back to his face.

“The deal was dinner, I never said that was payment for all three, now did I?” a light and airy chuckle left the college student.

Jimin snorted softly, “Oh? So what do I owe you now?” Without even receiving a reply Jimin watched the way his eyes flickered down to his lips once again. Two could play this game. “Oh no, no,” with a quick step Jimin placed his finger against the boys lips. “You think you get to kiss me after just one date?” with a click of the tongue and a shake of the head Jimin pulled away from the shocked boy. “A kiss- on the first date? Oh I am not that kind of man… Mr. Jeon. And besides, how can you expect me to kiss a man I don’t even know the first name of.” There was a playful glint in Jimin’s eyes as his tongue slipped out to wet his drying lips. “Goodnight, Mr. Jeon.” Before the younger male could speak he had slipped into his apartment closing the door behind him.

1…

2…

3…

4…

5.

Jimin stood with his back to the door for five seconds, five very short seconds. With swift movements he placed the drawing on the table before opening the door and stepping into the hall. The door shut behind him, the noise alone drawing Jeon’s attention. With a slight stutter Jimin called after him,

“You know… our date is technically over now and wow what a coincidence it is seeing you here, I didn’t thin-” Jimin's words were cut off by his own giggle as Jeon took a hold of his hips. In the time it took for him to step out into the hall the boy had taken three long strides to stand right before him. With his large hands on Jimin’s sides he had gently pressed him back against the already closed door. Within seconds Jimin found himself with his back against his front door, two warm hands on his waist, and a pair of lips against his own.

A gentle warmth spread through his body from the simple contact, his heart beating heavily against his ears. The kiss was passionate and deep, Jimin felt his lips molding perfectly with the taller males plush lips.

“Jeongguk…” it came out as a soft whisper as Jimin’s eyes snapped open as he felt the boy pull away slightly. Their foreheads were lightly pressed together. Warm breaths mingled between them, Jimin panting slightly. His eyes were full of confusion as they gazed up at the boy. “My name… it’s Jeongguk.”

“Jeongguk…?” Jimin's voice was so soft, it barely came out above a whisper. With a gentle smile Jimin raised his hands, gently cupping the boys cheeks. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Jungko-” He was once again cut off by the rather eager male. Those gentle set of lips pressing against a grinning pair. Removing his hands from the boys cheeks he slowly slid his arms around his shoulders, their bodies pressing into one another. However, just as Jimin tipped his head to the side he heard a cough.

Jimin was quick to push Jeongguk away when he heard the awkward cough. His wide and embarrassed gaze found a rather tall and handsome males tired but amused one. Water dripped off from his raincoat onto the floor, a small yellow umbrella in one hand while the other was holding onto that of a dirty young boy. He couldn’t be older than three years old.

“Oh! Jin- hey” Jimin coughed slightly as his voice cracked. This only brought an airy chuckle from the handsome man. “This- this is my neighbor Jin.” with each passing second Jimin could feel his face grow a deeper shade of red. With a polite smile and a bow Jeongguk greeted the tall male. It wasn’t long before Jeongguk's gaze met the young boys.

Jeongguk bent down to the child's level, arms resting against his knees, “and who is this little guy?” after being met with silence and an attempt to hide behind Seokjin’s leg, Jeongguk looked up to the elder male.

“Hoseok, he’s going to be staying with us from now on. Isn’t that right?” His voice was soft as he spoke about the small boy. A look of understanding flashed across Jimin’s face. Jin had been fostering kids since he had moved in across from him. Every so often a new toddler would arrive on their doorstep. Some remained for a while while some simply stayed while the court found a more permanent home for the child. “And that being said Jimin, Namjoon and I have some things we need to work out with this little guy. Do you think you can watch Mia and Minji tomorrow? We are meeting with the social worker at 10.” Jimin didn’t even hesitate.

“Of course I can, I’m working the late shift tomorrow anyway so it’ll be fine-oh, actually I will have to reschedule our lunch date- he isn’t listening.” Jimin looked down to where Jeongguk was squating. Earlier that evening they had agreed to get lunch together the following day. But Jeongguk wasn’t even listening. His focus was completely on Hoseok, who had since detached himself from Jin. The young boy had taken to playing a small little hand game with Jeongguk, who looked happy as could be.

A light snort left Jin as he stared down at the two, “do you know how long I sat in that police station trying to get him to even look at me?” despite his complaint his eyes were warm and his tone soft. It warmed his heart to see the boy taking a liking to someone so soon after what had happened to him. Jimin couldn’t help the same warm feeling bubble in his chest as he watched the way Jeongguk acted with the child. A small yawn left Hoseok and was quickly mirrored by Jeongguk.

“Well it looks like I should be getting you to bed, shouldn’t I?” Jin spoke gently to Hoseok, how simply lifted his sleepy gaze to the male. His round eyes were now drooped with ever growing exhaustion. Hoseok gently grabbed a hold of Seokjin's finger before waving at Jeongguk. Jeongguk returned the wave with a bright smile, Jimin's hand lightly giving a pat to his head.

“Well it looks like I should be getting you to bed too, shouldn't I?” Jeongguk could only smirk up at Jimin as Jin laughed softly. Jimins eyes went wide, “wait- no I didn’t mean it like that- oh stop it.” Jimin could only whine as the other two men laughed at him. Jeongguk stood up, wrapping his arms around the males waist. With a final farewell to the flustered male Jin took his leave, Jeongguk chuckling lightly as he pressed a kiss to his temple.

“So… I guess I should get going then… Walk home in this rain… all cold an-”

“Oh shut up,” Jimin's hand was quick to grab the boy by the front of his red dress shirt and pull him inside the apartment.

 

Red. Jimin always loved that color on the boy.

Jimin sighed, exhaustion taking over after a long day, he forced his body off of the couch, tossing the red blanket to over the back of the couch and dragged himself to the bedroom. He collapsed into their bed being engulfed by the blankets and the soft smell of his lover. He shivered slightly, although he was wrapped in blankets he still felt cold and alone.

Two days down…

 

How many more to go?