The Drive

A Drive Down Memory Lane

Floating.

He felt himself drifting peacefully as if on a cloud. But he was heavy, something was wrong, he kept trying to open his eyes, but he couldn't. He suddenly became aware of burning, an ache covered his body. With strength he managed to open his eyes. His ears rang with a deep thunder.

"Oh God! Oh my- oh my God!" A voice, distorted, but audible screamed, a shriek which made his soul cringe. He struggled to move his arm, electrifying pain coursed through him. He forced a groan as he opened his eyes again. Glass. There was glass everywhere, reflecting the soft orange glow of flames in the distance. Forcing himself to come to his senses, he was overwhelmed with agonizing fiery pain.

"Sir!!" he heard someone yell. He struggled to move his head, he could feel it was in a puddle of something.

Was that water? I don’t remember any rain…  

"Somebody help! Help!" A red headed woman in a white coat appeared above him. His head hit the ground, and then everything went dark. So so dark...

 


 

The sudden shrill of the phone cut the friends off mid conversation. Still smiling about his idiotic friend, a young man picked up the phone.

"Hello. Seoul’s Modern Art Gallery, how may I help you?" the young man answered with an airy tone, chuckling softly. His longtime best friend and coworker, MoonRi, sitting across from him nagging about her fiancé’s inability to stay awake for more than five minutes at a time.

"Hello? May I speak to Mr. Park please?" a deep voice asked from across the line.

"This is he, may I ask who is speaking?" Jimin replied. Resting his head on the palm of his hand, elbow propped up on the desk. The wooden desk littered with papers and photographs that had yet to be sorted, his golden locks framed his face giving him the image of an angel. Pure beauty as most called, while Jimin only thought of himself as average.

"My name is Taehyung, I am a nurse at Seoul Hospital. Are you the husband of Jeon Jeongguk?" Jimin’s world froze, Jungkook is Jimin’s husband, has been for just over two blissful years. He felt his heart sink to the pit of his stomach, why....? Why is Jeongguk at the hospital, he asked himself. Jimin fell silent, too afraid to vocalize the word out loud in fear of the reply. MoonRi noticed her friend’s sudden tense state.

"Chim?" She waved her hand in front of Jimin who quickly fell from his trance.

"Sorry, I uhm… yes, I know Jeongguk. What's wrong? Is everything alright?" there was a deep sigh on the other end.

"There has been... an accident." Tears slowly began to fill Jimin’s deep brown eyes as the man, Taehyung, continued "He was brought to us this afternoon in critical condition and has just been taken into surgery," the rest of his words fell on deaf ears his hand coming to cover his mouth in shock. "Do you know of anyone else we can contact?" Unable to reply Jimin let the phone slip from his grasp, landing with an audible bang on the cold tile.

"Jimin? What happened?" MoonRi called from across the desk, running to her friend’s side. Confusion etched itself into her facial features.

Jimin could barely muster up a response, “he.. Hospital,” leaving his friend lost, confused and equally worried. Before she could even question what he meant, Jimin had grabbed his jacket and car keys, running out his office door.


After the longest 20 minute drive of Jimin’s life, he finally made it to the hospital. Rushing through the glass doors he ran to to the tall, slender woman standing behind the desk.    

"Hello sir, how may I help you today?" She asked in a fake concerned way, she's been at this job long enough to no longer care for those individuals that walk through the door... Panting and out of breath Jimin mumbled.

"Where... Is Jeon... Jeon Jeongguk?" With a gentle smile the nurse looked down to her computer, moving through the files of current patients in her ER. She lifted her gaze, was that pity? She motioned to her right pointing to the waiting area.

"Mr. Jeon is currently in surgery, please take a seat, I can have someone come by with updates shortly. Are you a relative?" Her voice was gentle and kind. After quickly giving the woman his information he slowly dragged himself to the waiting room. It was a solemn place, people of all kinds waiting. Some sat waiting in fear of an update they never wanted to receive, Jimin joining the crowd in worry. He took a seat next to the door, so if anything were to happen he could be there with in a blink of an eye. Many thoughts traveled through Jimin’s mind but he could hardly register any of them.

​ What if he dies?

What if I never see him again?

What if...

 

Slowly, Jimin began breaking down. He was thinking only of the worst possible outcomes, thinking of all of the “What If’s" instead of saying he's fine. Jimin watched the clock on the wall, its hands of time, seeming to move slower every passing second.

 

Seconds turned to minutes...

Ten minutes...

Forty minutes...

One hour.....

Two...

 

Nothing, nothing happened in those long two hours other than a few nurses offering him drinks and one simply restating what the man on the phone had. He was hit by a car. He was in surgery. When Jimin heard the click of a door his head flew upwards. Only it wasn't the doctor, it was his best friend, MoonRi, and her fiancé trailing behind like a shadow.

"Hey Chim..." MoonRi spoke softly, as if she could pierce an eardrum if he spoke any louder. "I brought you a change of clothes..."

Jimin looked down noticing he was still in his work uniform, the crisp white shirt now wrinkled and messy. His blazer hung over the back of the chair, while his tie dangled loosely around his neck. After a long pause a tiny, broken voice broke the silence.

"Thank you...” Jimin slowly stood on wobbly legs taking the clothes, just a simple hoodie and sweats. MoonRi smiles softly in reply, her fiancé, Yoongi, still standing behind them.

"Any news? On… On how Jeongguk is?" MoonRi hesitantly asked, knowing how broken Jimin must be. He just shook his head in reply, sitting back down. Yoongi took to seat to his right, patting his back comfortingly.

Yoongi was very handsome, yet very cute. It was easy to see why MoonRi would fall for someone like him, he remembered thinking such things when he first met the lover of his best friend. According to MoonRi, he’s the sweetest person she'd ever met, even if to the outside world he came off as cold. He was quiet, unlike MoonRi who was energetic and loud. MoonRi took Jimin’s left hand rubbing comforting circles on it. The three sat in complete silence. There was nothing to be said that could cure the fear they were all experiencing.

 


 

Another full hour had passed before the clicking of the door brought Jimin away from his dreadfully depressing thoughts. He looked up at the man in the snow white lab coat, he looked at his clipboard. "Mr. Jeon?" Jimin shot up from the chair within the blink of an eye.

"Yes? Is Jeongguk alright? Is he awake?" Jimin’s voice became weaker with every question. The doctor took a deep breath,

"Mr. Jeon suffered great trauma after the accident, he received a large head and chest wound however we've managed to stop the bleeding for now. He suffered several broken ribs, and his arm is fractured..." He paused, this frightened Jimin. He felt his world come crashing down with what the doctor said next. His breath hitching in his throat "... the injuries he sustained has left him unresponsive, for now he is in a coma, the chances of him waking up are... very unlikely... I'm very sorry."

Jimin fell to his knees, Yoongi and MoonRi rushing to his side.

 

 A coma...

 Will he ever wake up....?