-06-

Espresso

Byul roamed her eyes around the station, trying to find the familiar face that she has been wanting to see. She decided to ask a policewoman who seems to have been through a lot, judging from her messy hair, pale face, dark undereyes, and loose tie. Even so, Byul still found the officer a bit too attractive for her job but that doesn’t matter now because apparently, someone else has already caught her eyes.

 

“Uhm… Excuse me Is Det-”

Byul jumped at the sudden loudness of the woman’s voice that interrupted her.

 

“What??” The woman asked irritatedly before sparing Byul a look. The woman’s expression softened when she caught Byul’s slightly shocked face.


 

Why is everyone so shocked whenever I approach them….


 

“I’m sorry ma’am I didn’t mean to… shout at you… Sorry.” The officer apologized before giving a bow.

 

“What were you asking again, ma’am? I’m really sorry I surprised you like that…”

 

“Oh.. it’s fine… I was just gonna ask if Detective Park is here.”

 

“Ohhh… Are you perhaps, Miss Moon?”

 

“Uh.. Yeah..Yes-yes.”

 

“Ohh Detective Park has been waiting for you… Please follow me.”

 

Byul followed suit. The woman lead her to what seems to be a small interrogation room that she has been too familiar with by now. The officer went out to call the man who has apparently been waiting for her.

 

“There you are.” The man said grinning slyly.

 

“By the way, this is officer Ahn Hani, she has been helping us with the case.”

 

The two women in the room introduced themselves to each other. Byul thanked the officer for helping with the case making a tinge of pink spread across her face. The blushing officer excused herself and left the room.

 

“Sorry I came a bit late, I had to check on her before going here.” Byul said after they were left alone in the room.

 

“Wow… everytime I see you… you become more and more…. how do you call that?” The man paused scratching his head as if thinking of the words to say.

 

“Ohh right… lovesick… that’s it.”

 

“Ughh… Hyunkyu-oppa please let’s just get on with this…”

 

“Hey kid stop calling me that… I’m still Detective Park here alright?”

 

“Fine.. grandpa.” Byul said earning a glare from Hyunkyu who has been her partner since she started her job with Mr. Kim. They have been working together to find the one causing all of these problems.

 

“Alright… I give up… This is gonna end soon anyways and I won’t be seeing you anymore.” The detective smiled proudly while showing his small notebook to Byul. Attached to a page was a picture.

 

“That’s him. Ok Taecyeon. He’s the head of the group. A billionaire who treats his people like and does anything to get what he wants. Turns out, he was a major stockholder of Kim Enterprises but Mr. Kim voided their contract after he knew what Mr. Ok was doing. He lost lots of money and only managed to recover by selling drugs to high-profile people. We are considering revenge as the motive for the attempted attacks on Mr. Kim’s daughters.”

 

“Have you located him?”

 

“That’s where you should thank officer Ahn…. She was the one who tracked his men. Also, she may not look like it but that woman somehow made the guy who tried to attack Ms. Yongsun the other day, confess about their group. And guess what?” Hyunkyu wriggled his eyebrows.

 

“What?”

 

“We know where they are and one of the units already planned the operation but….” The man stopped showing hesitation on his face.

 

“UGHH…. Oppa stop these dramatic pauses in between sentences please…” Byul complained, completely frustrated with the man's habit of delaying his words.

 

“Fine… Its just that it’s too dangerous for you to go there.”

 

Byul huffed “So...when did you become so concerned with me?”

 

“Yah, I’m serious. Mr. Ok has lots of men and their hideout has high security…. Well we can take care of that, the real problem is Mr. Ok himself. That selfish bastard is ruthless and he’ll do anything to get what he wants.”

 

“Then I’ll make sure that he won’t get what he wants this time. Not when someone’s life is at stake.”

 

“You’re really willing to risk your life for her aren’t you?”

 

“Oppa, it’s my job..”

 

“I know, but I’m also sure that it’s not the sole reason…. Just please be careful okay? You still have to treat me to dinner, you brat, so you better come back in one piece..”

 

“I will… I have to.”

 

“Good… then let’s see officer Lee. He will lead the operation so we’ll brief you on it.. Come on.”

 

After talking with officer Lee, Byul hurriedly went back to her car.

 

Meanwhile, Yongsun who was still too flustered with what happened a while ago, cannot focus on her job. Causing her to break a mug and ended up wounding herself.


 

...WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS KIM YONGSUN…. IT’S JUST A ING HUG!!!!


 

Yongsun sighed mentally while trying her best to finish preparing the latte in her bandaged hand.

 

After Byul left, Joy and Seulgi never stopped exchanging looks at themselves and at their boss. They even managed to exchange stifled chuckles whenever they cross paths by the counter. Yongsun was obviously out of it since Byul left and the two could smell something in the air.

 

“Unnie….unnie?” Joy called Yongsun waving her hand to her face, catching the attention of the woman who was staring at nothing while filling up the mug in her hands with coffee.

 

“Huhh… Wha-What is it?” Yongsun asked disorientedly.

 

“I think that’s enough coffee for one serving….” Joy chuckled.

 

“Ohh… Yeah, right…. Thank you Joy-ah…” She said while staring at the brim-filled cup in her hands.

 

“Something bothering you unnie?”

 

“No-no I’m fine thanks for asking..”

 

The truth is she isn’t, not a bit. Something in her chest has been uneasy since a while ago when a certain someone left the cafe. She received a text a while ago from the woman causing her to break the mug and wounded her hand.

 

From: MoonFartnim

Aigoo… this stubborn unnie… WHY DID YOU NOT BRING YOUR CAR AGAIN?? Ughhh… You have no choice. I’ll fetch you later okay?? Just text me when you’re done at the cafe..

 

From: MoonFartnim

P.S. Don’t you think about going home alone okay??? I’ll call you later ;)

 

These past few days have been more than confusing for Yongsun. Sure, she’s been attracted to someone before and have been in a couple of relationships then, but never with a woman. She was trying so hard to convince herself that she just likes a certain someone as a friend because she is fun and kind, and the woman saved her life. But everytime they talk or see each other, Yongsun would notice the smallest details about the girl - from her cute nose, to her annoying smile, to her cute habits, her sparkling eyes, her smooth and low voice, her grease, and her cute lips. And realising this made her heart flutter but also scared.

 

Yongsun had always supported love beyond any type of boundary including gender. It’s just that she didn’t plan on falling for a woman herself. She does not know how things will work out for them. But she still wasn’t so sure of her feelings right? ….. Or is she but she’s just too scared to accept it? She starts to think of the things people would say, or if she will ever be accepted by her own family. But in the end, would it really matter? Or is it too early to think of what they have as something more than friendship?

 

Yongsun’s thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang. It was her sister, Yonghee.

 

“Joy-ah can you please finish this latte for me. I’ll take this call first. Thank you.”

 

Yongsun answered the phone and went to her mini office at the back part of the cafe.

 

“Yongsun-ah… How’s it at the cafe??” Yonghee asked rather cutely.

 

“Woah unnie… What’s with you???”

 

“Yah…. I’m just asking you…”

 

Yongsun chuckled. “Kidding… It's fine unnie… Not too busy.... And you?”

 

“Well…. almost fine… if only mom didn’t pressure me to bring a plus one for the event… I think I’m gonna go crazy because of her… ” Yonghee groaned from the other line.

 

“You don’t have to be stressed by that unnie… You know mom likes to tease us…”

 

“I know but she’s really persistent and I don’t want to disappoint her, you know. Also, I kinda wanna freak her out by bringing a guy with me to the event. I have someone on mind though.” Her sister chuckled.

 

“There goes the best daughter award…” Yongsun sniffed while wiping the fake tears that are invisible to her sister on the phone.

 

“Oh please, sweety….” “But enough about me…. How about you though, aren’t you gonna bring anyone?”

 

“Unnie do you even need to ask? You know what I’ll say already.”

 

“Yah! That’s unfair!! You better bring one too. We're going to play mom's game.”

 

“Nope unnie you can have the award to yourself… I’m not gonna let mom fool me.” Yongsun laughed devilishly.

 

“Yah!! Atleast just bring a friend or someone… You’re no fun… Boo.”

 

“Atleast I’m not gullible…”

 

“Yah!! Fine..that’s it I give up. Go back to work, brat. I’ll call you again later okay?”

 

“Hmm.. Bye unnie.” Yongsun chuckled..


 

Should I just bring someone? But who?


 

[Meanwhile, at Wheein and Hyejin’s anniversary date]

 

“I’m still angry at you just so you know.” Hyejin pouted as she sat by the bench beside Wheein.

 

“How are you angry when you’re holding my hand.” Wheein chuckled while staring at their hands. They were now at the park by the cafe.

 

Hyejin became a bit embarassed when she realized that what Wheein said was true.

 

“Ugh I still hate you though.” Hyejin said without letting go of the other woman’s hand.

 

“Really?”

 

“Fine okay... okay” Hyejin blushed.

 

“So…. Are we okay now?”

 

“Just don’t forget it next time please...”

 

“I never did actually…” Wheein smiled widely while looking at her girlfriend who was utterly confused.

 

Wheein lead her to the car and drove off somewhere. The whole drive was basically just Hyejin asking Wheein where they are going and Wheein just responding with “You’ll know soon.”

 

Hyejin was so lost in her thoughts that she didn’t realize that the car had stopped and thet they have arrived. Wheein opened the passenger’s door and woke Hyejin from her trance. The view of the ocean and the cool breeze welcomed them. The sand felt warm on their feet as they heard the sound of waves crashing to each other.

 

“Hey… let’s remove our shoes..” Wheein said. After they did so, Hyejin stopped her girlfriend from walking and hugged her.

 

“So… you’re not mad anymore??” Wheein chuckled. Hyejin shook her head as she bilnked her eyes rapidly to prevent tears from falling.

 

“Thank you Wheein-ah..”

 

Wheein knew just how much Hyejin loved the beach and even if she wasn’t such a fan of it, she decided to go here for their anniversary.

 

“Aren’t I the best?” Wheein smiled proudly and Hyejin responded with a peck on her lips.

 

“There you go again…”

 

“Why?? You don't like it?" Hyejin raised her eyebrow.

"I'll like this better." Wheein caught the other woman's lips and kissed her deeply, not caring about anything at the moment. Moments later they broke the kiss.

"It's not done though there's something i wanna show you."

When they were near the location, Wheein told Hyejin to close her eyes as she guided her to the place.

"Open your eyes now."

In front of her was a little set up of a table for two by the beach view. There were candles and petals everywhere and Hyejin swore that she felt her heart almost jumping out of her chest because of joy. Without her knowing, tears started to fall from Hyejin's eyes, she was too overwhelmed with gratefulness and love for the woman behind her who was know backhugging her.

"You like it??" Wheein whispered.

Hyejin hummed. "A little bit too much that it made me cry, I think." Wheein chuckled while breaking the hug to go in front of Hyejin to wipe her tears.

"Let's sit shall we?" Wheein said guiding Hyejin to the table. When they were seated Hyejin spoke first.

"So when did you plan all this?" Hyejin asked while sipping her wine.

"Well... I've been planning for a week..."

"Ohh... Then why did you..."

"Well... I kinda forgot that I had this reservation and went straight to the cafe to just prepare a cake for you but then you came and I remembered that I already set all this up." Wheein chuckled. "That was why I kinda panicked a while ago... Sorry for leaving so early, I just wanted to surprise you."

"Aigoo... this grandma." Hyejin grinned. "But this is unfair... I left my gift for you at home..." Her grin turned to a cute pout in a matter of seconds.

"It's okay... I like it anyways..."

"Hey!! You didn't even see it yet."

"But it's from you so I know I'll like it."

"Yah... you puppy!!"

"What?"

"I love you."

"The puppy loves you too."

They spent the whole day eating, walking by the shore, laughing, and talking. It was one of the best days for both of them and they wish for an infinite more. All the tears shed and the words shared have been happy ones that were filled with love and pure joy. They were happy in each other's arms and couldn't ask for more.

"By the way...Wheein-ah, what did you tell Yongsun-unnie? I kinda feel bad for leaving her like that.."

"Ohhhh... don't worry about her... I know she'll enjoy today."

"Huh?" "Did you set her up with someone?"

"Kinda."

 

 

Byul was now holding her phone in her hand as she waited for Yongsun to finish closing the cafe. She closed pretty early today because there weren't that much costumers and she wanted to rest after a certain girl drained all her energy by just thinking of her. But now that she has seen her again, she weirdly felt recharged.

"Byul-ah!!!" Yongsun shouted as came closer to the younger woman.

"Did you wait long?"

"No..." Byul said a hint of disappointment grazing her face.

"Look...I'm sorry...I'm really that forgetful so please just remind me next time okay?"

Byul folded her arms while still staring at her unnie.

 

This unnie, really.... What am I gonna do with you?

 

"Okay, okay.... But promise me that you'll call me or Wheein if you forgot to bring your car, okay? I can't afford to get you hurt..."

"Huh?? And why?"

 

Byul's eyes widened when she realized what she said.

 

....Moonbyuli what did you just say?? You idiot.

 

"Well...Be-because you're special to me unnie... you're more than a friend. Mo-more like a.... sister. Just like how you are to Wheein."

Every word she said stung her tongue like poison. 

Yongsun was surprised at the younger woman's answer but managed to smile at the girl.

"Ok fine... I'm sorry." "How about we go somewhere as my gift to you? I haven't even paid you back properly for saving my life..."

"Unnie...didn't I tell you... You don't need to pay me back for what I did. But if that's what you want, then I'll tag along." Yongsun's shy smile made Byul feel weak as she tried to contain her happiness.

Yongsun told Byul where to go, getting them lost at some point but they eventually got there. It was a small theme park. There weren't a lot of people so it was a good time to go there. Yongsun bought two tickets and immediately went to one of the extreme rides in the park. 

The scene was the same for all the rides with Yongsun screaming at the top of her lungs and Byul covering her head and ears while constantly squeezing Yongsun's hand to make sure she was still concious and hasn't yet lost her spirit.

"Unnie... are you okay? Can you walk properly?" Byul chuckled.

"Yah!! That ride was too scary for me... Stop laughing you hamster!"

Both were shocked at Yongsun's words.

"Did-did you just call me a hamster?"

"Ye-yes and why?" Yongsun said trying to sound like she wasn't embarassed.

"Nothing... I like it.." Byul winked leaving a blushing Yongsun behind.

While walking Yongsun suddenly asked.

"So how did you know that I didn't bring my car?"

"We-well, I saw Wheein running out of the cafe in the morning. She was in a hurry though, but she gave me your plate number and told me to look for your car and said that if I can't find it then I have to take you home..."

"Wow... That kid..." "She's like my mom.."

Byul felt a little envious of Wheein because she was close to Yongsun and can openly protect her and show her love for her, unlike a certain someone she knows. But she was thankful, atleast Yongsun knows that she is worth protecting. Byul made a mental note to thank Wheein properly someday.

The night was unexpectedly cold and Yongsun only wore one layer of clothing - her thin sweater paired with her black jeans. Byul saw Yongsun slightly shivering as she rubbed her palms together to warm herself. She quickly removed her coat and put it on the older woman's shoulders she told her to wait at the bench because she was going to buy something.

Byul quickly returned with a bag of heat packs in her hands. She gave one to Yongsun and fixed the coat on her shoulders.

"Thank you Byul-ah but aren't you cold?"

"I'm fine unnie... I'm quite used to this. Besides I'm wearing double layers."

"But i-"

"I'm okay unnie, I promise."

They continued to roam around the park, buying souvenirs and food, taking pictures, and enjoying the rides. They were genuinely happy like that, something Byul hasn't felt for so long. The older woman always said how grateful she was to Byul for saving her life without her knowing that she has also saved the younger woman and brought back warmth to her life. She has been the reason why she wakes up and lives. But she doesn't know that.... she doesn't need to know..... she can't.

"Byul-ah... I wanna go somewhere.."

 

¤_¤

HI GUYS!! I'M RLLY SORRY FOR UPDATING QUITE LATE.... ANYWAYS, I TRIED TO MAKE THIS LONG SO I CAN MAKE IT UP TO U :))) AS ALWAYS, THANK U FOR GIVING THIS FIC MUCH LOVE.... LEAVE UR FEEDBACKS BELOW AND I'LL READ THEM ALL. THANK U FOR THE SUBSCRIBERS, UPVOTERS, AND READERS... MUCH LOVE FOR YOU ALL... PLS WAIT A BIT FOR THE NEXT CHAP... LUV U ALL AND KEEP SMILING <3

 

P.S. SO APPARENTLY THE GIRLS ARE HAVING THEIR COMEBACK ON MARCH AND I'M SO STOKED.... 

LET'S ALL DO OUR BEST FOR THIS CB RADISHES!!!