-05-

Espresso

"Wheein-ah??" Yongsun sounded completely shocked seeing the younger girl's presence in the cafe.

"Why are you here?? You even opened the cafe..." The older girl approached Wheein who was at the counter with Seulgi and Joy ready to face the first few grumpy customers of the day.

"Do you really not want to see your best friend unnie??" "I can't believe..." Wheein pouted.

Yongsun tapped Wheein's back lightly as if comforting her while stifling a chuckle. "That's not it... It's just that you should be resting right now... I know preparations aren't easy.

"Unnie... I just want to make sure you'll be okay. I should have really convinced you to ride with me that night...."

"Wheein-ah it's not your fault okay?" Yogsun spoke softly while holding Wheein's hand. She has caused more than enough trouble and worry to the girl already- she was ashamed because she was the older one and should be more responsible but it's the other way around. "It was because I'm stubborn... I'm sorry."

"Ugh unnie... it was not your fault, it was all that bastard's fault. I SWEAR IF I SEE HIM AGAIN I'M GONNA LAND ANOTHER PUNCH IN HIS FACE UNTIL HE CAN'T STAND ANYM-"

"Yah! Jung Wheein!" A certain black haired woman entered the cafe with a clear sign of annoyance on her face.

"Hye-hyejin-ah??" "Wait ho-how did you know..."

"Unnie texted me." The woman answered with her now emotionless face.

"She has been looking for you since morning... She texted me and I found you here so i told Hyejin-ah."

"Did you not tell her you were going here? Did something happen?" Yongsun whispered to Wheein who was just standing there in confusion.

"No-no I don't remember telling her..... Oh !!" Wheein remembered something and instantly went to run to Hyejin but the latter pushed her away.

"Don't come near me...." Hyejin firmly said while holding out her hand to stop Wheein from getting close to her. She then turned to Yongsun "Thank you for telling me unnie.." She was evidently mad at her girlfriend as she walked to the cafe's door. 

"Unnie, I'm really sorry I'm gonna go after her okay? Please be safe.."

"Go ahead Wheein-ah... We'll be fine." Yongsun smiled at the girl who was silently cursing herself for forgetting such an important thing. Without a minute passing, Wheein was out of the cafe.

Yongsun was left with Seulgi and Joy her cafe's barista and cashier. The other workers would be coming in later for their shift.

Because it was still too early, there were still no customers entering the cafe. It was then that Yongsun heard her own ringtone filling the empty cafe. Someone was calling

*MoonFartnim*

Yongsun's lips pulled themselves into a smile without Yongsun knowing. Seulgi and Joy watched behind and looked at each other knowingly also making each other smile- it was like they were speaking through their eyes, which was what they did.

"Hello." Yongsun answered as calm as she could.

"Hey unnie..." Byul answered with her signature husky voice. "Did you sleep well?"

"Uhmm.. Yeah-yeah... How about you?"

"It was pretty fine... I guess.." Byul chuckled but it was not a jolly one, in fact it sounded tired and lifeless.

"Why?? I-is there something bothering you?" Yongsun asked carefully.

"Nothing... It's just that I can't wait to see you today." That was quick.

 

So this grease is my breakfast huh? .....Wait... what?

 

"Huh?? What do you mean?"

"Look outside"

And there she is. Byul was waving in front of the cafe and Yongsun can see her clearly through the glass. The girl was wearing a white long sleeved shirt tucked in her gray slacks and was carrying her gray coat on one hand. The sight of this handsome woman almost took Yongsun's breath away, but it didn't because apparently the "sight" was greasy. 

"Girls, I'm going out for a bit." Yongsun turned to Joy and Seulgi who were trying to surpress their smiles.

Yongsun couldn't help but smile at the hamster-looking woman who was still waving her hands at her. It was the first time that they met again after that night, they only really talked through the phone over the past few days but they oddly became closer that way.

"Why didn't you tell me you're coming?"

"Well.... That's not gonna be a surprise anymore unnie.."

"Ohhh.. right."

 

YOU SHOULD HAVE WORN SOMETHING MORE DECENT.... STUPID...

 

"Wow..." Yongsun was interrupted by Byul's voice. "Unnie... this is....you're really amazing..." The younger girl said while staring at the cafe.

Yongsun blushed at the younger's remarks. Thankfully the latter was still too amazed staring at her cafe. 

"Hey... come on let's go in." Yongsun had to hold Byul's wrist to snap her out of her mini trance and lead her in the cafe.

Upon entering, there were already 3 people sitting on the chairs. Byul roamed her eyes around the cafe, it had a very minimalistic design which Byul liked so much. Yongsun then introduced her to Seulgi and Joy.

"Byul, this is Seulgi and that is Joy."

"Hello Byul-ssi." The girls extended their arms which Byul respoded to by gently shaking them.

The chairs and tables were simple and the interior was accented by beautiful artworks. When Byul came closer to one of the paintings a familiar name was written on it.

Jung Wheein

"Wow!! Unnie... Are all these paintings made by Wheein?"

Yongsun followed Byul to one of the walls where a beautiful painting of a piano was mounted.

"Uh-huh." Yongsun smiled proudly.

"This is amazing..." Byul said, slightly opened in amusement.

"But there is something I want to know.."

"What is it?"

"May I play that?" Byul smiled widely. It was the first thing she noticed upon entering the place. A white baby grand piano was sitting on one of the corners of the spacious cafe.

"Oh sure." Yongsun said.

"Seulgi-ssi, may I borrow your boss for a minute?" Byul asked the girl who answered with a nod and a knowing smile on her face.

Yongsun just followed the ecstatic woman to the white piano. To her surprise, Byul patted the space beside her telling the older to sit beside.

"I think you know this..." Byul said before pressing the keys and playing a random song.

 

Of course.... That was the first song i learned how to play...

 

"I think I do..." "But I don't think I ever told you that I know how to play the piano."

"You didn't.... it was Wheein.... remember?" Byul chuckled.

 

Ohhh... she still remembered that?

 

Byul gently grasped Yongsun's hands and placed them on the keys, she then pointed to Yongsun signalling her to start playing. She was quite happy to touch the keys again after she stopped playing a few years ago because she became extremely busy taking care of her responsibilities and life in general. Yongsun became entranced by the sound her own fingers are making not knowing that the woman beside her was also entranced by the sound and by Yongsun herself. The older woman looked so ethereal and enchanting that Byul felt a chill down her spin, her entire body felt numb for a moment.

It had always been like that. She would admire and protect the older woman from afar, hoping that someday she would know that she exists. It was only in her dreams where they can be as close as this and in the past few days, Byul felt genuinely happy.

While Yongsun was focused on playing the keys, Byul decided to roll up her sleeves, showing a scar on her arm and positioned her fingers on the lower octave of the piano. Soon enough, they were having a duet. The two were so into the beautiful music they  have created that they haven't realized the amount of people slowly building up in the cafe. It was like they were speaking through every key they press hoping it would reach the other.

Seulgi and Joy smiled at each other while serving the customers in line. It was the first time they heard Yongsun play the piano. They knew their boss was good at it but never had the chance to see and hear her play the piano until now. It was soulful and hypnotizing though it was just a classical piece. And the fact that Byul was adding her own style to the song made everyone in the cafe have goosebumps.

When they ended, the two looked at each other in surprise as the customers in the cafe applauded and cheered for them. Though quite shy at the unexpected spotlight, they managed to take a bow and thank their "audience"

"Unnie... that was amazing... Wheein wasn't lying when she said you were good." Byul smirked while immediately straightening out her sleeves.

"Uhmm.. hello Byul... Are you really not aware that they were actually clapping for you."

Byul gasped in fake shock. "Ohh.. unnie... is that your version of greasy... thank you but I'm not flustered... sorry..." Byul teased earning a slap on the arm from Yongsun.

"Yah!! Are you not going to work or something?"

"Wow... you really don't like seeing me huh?" The younger woman pouted.

Yongsun hanged. Did she go overboard? 

"Just kidding.." Byul chuckled. Yongsun didn't have the time to react when Byul suddenly pulled her to a hug and she was sure that Byul whispered something like a thank you.

"I have to go now unnie.... Sorry for always shocking you. Thanks for showing me around.... I'll text you later..." With that Byul bowed to Seulgi and waved goodbye to the older girl who was still quite shocked, unable to respond.

Yongsun was pulled out of her trance when her phone beeped. It was Wheein's message.

From: Comanie ^_^

Hey unnie... Sorry for leaving you like that a while ago ㅎㅎㅎ I just had to chase after Hyejin-ah bcos I can't have her be angry at me on our anniversary.  Btw I don't think I'll be returning back to the cafe today but I have something- I mean someone to make you feel better ;) Luv u unnie <3

 

Oh... so it was their anniversary.... Yongsun chuckled. Sometimes, she can't help but feel jealous of her bestfriend's relationship because the two fit each other so well. Whenever she sees them, Yongsun would wonder when would she have someone by her side and would sigh thinking about it.

Yongsun texted her reply to the younger girl and went back to work.

Meanwhile, Byul was sitting in her car, watching over the cafe. She has been doing this for 6 years, though she was just getting used to Yongsun working the entire day at the cafe because it had just been over a week since  the older woman opened the cafe.

At first, Byul was just doing it for money. She would protect Yongsun no matter what, get herself wounded and hurt just for the money. Of course, she needed it to survive and she didn't really have any other choice back then. But Yongsun was too much of an existence for Byul not to notice- her bright smile, her sparkling eyes, her cute nose, and her gorgeous face. How can you not notice someone who possesses so much light that you can feel it piercing through you, making you instantly happy? Byul thought it was impossible. Just like how she thought Yongsun would probably never know that she exists, but here she was laughing and speaking with the woman. And now, Byul wants nothing more than to let those who has tried to do something to the woman rot in prison and to see her fine and happy. It was her job after all.

Right then, Byul's phone rang filling her car with it's sound. She saw a familiar name on the screen and answered the phone while letting her eyes stay on the cafe.

"Hey Hyuk-Oppa... How is it with Yonghee-unnie?"

"Well... she's fine. But you're really calling her unnie now huh?"

"Of course.." Byul chuckled.

Minhyuk is just like her. They basically have the same job but Minhyuk secretly looks out for Yonghee, Yongsun's elder sister. Byul has always treated him like her real brother, they were trained together by their late mentor who they treated as their own father and Minhyuk knows pretty much everything about Byul as well as Byul knowing almost everything about Minhyuk. He would invite Byul to their house to have dinners with his family and Byul always felt grateful to have Minhyuk by her side; it felt like she was, for once, a part of a family.

"Mr. Kim wants to see you now. He said he will send someone out to look out for her." Minhyuk said.

"Ok I'm on my way..."

With that, Byul started her car and drove off. She eventually arrived at the building and parked her car.

"Byuli... How is it going?" Mr. Kim asked with the same warm smile.

"Yongsun-ssi is alright now sir... Though I still have to go to Det-" Byul reported but was interrupted by the man's smooth voice.

"No..." The man chuckled. 

 

Their laughs are really similar... How cute.

 

"I was asking about you..." "How are you?"

"Ohh...I'm sorry, sir.... I'm doing good..."

"That's good then." "So, how is the case going?"

"We are really close to finding them, sir. After this, I will immediately go to Detective Park. He called me last night and told me that they got a lead. Our unit will help the police in tracking them and I assure you that they will be imprisoned in no time."

"Will all this be over by then?" Mr. Kim asked without looking up to Byul.

"I think so, sir." Byul assured the man.

"Byul-ah.... Thank you so much for everything you have risked for me and my daughters, you and Minhyuk. Thank you for not breaking my trust. Don't worry, after all this, I wouldn't let your efforts be disregarded, I want you two to work permanently for me under the company. Is that okay with you?"

"I would love to sir. Thank you."

Mr. Kim discussed a few more things about the case with Byul before the woman walked to the door of his office. Byul was stopped midway by the man's voice.

"Byul-ah... Please be careful.... I still want to repay you after this, so you better come back, okay?" Mr. Kim smiled.

"Yes sir, we'll do our best." Byul tried her best to return the warm smile the man gave her before leaving his office.

As Byul drove off the man's words echoed endlessly in her head. The silence in her car was not able to drown out the words ringing in her mind.

 

Thank you for not breaking my trust....

 

When Byul reached the station, she quickly sent a text to Yongsun before going in.

 

¤_¤

CHAP 5!!! HEY Y'ALL :) SORRY IF THIS TOOK A WHILE.. ALSO HELLO MINHYUK (YES! FROM BTOB) <3 HOPE U GUYS HAVE ENJOYED THE LAST FEW CHAPS AND PLEASE LOOK FORWARD MORE TO THIS STORY..... THANK YOU FOR THE 60+ SUBSCRIBERS AND THE COMMENTS.... THANK U FOR ALL THE LUV..... I LUV U ALL AND KEEP SMILING :)))