eight.

Peach

i'm currently sitting on my basement couch eating snickers bars. this has been a psa on the fact that i am useless

____

Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

Yoongi's been a strong believer in that since those three years he didn't see his dad, and then the month he finally did, which consisted of yelling and tiptoeing through his own house and wanting to pull his hair out.

It's a phrase that makes sense any way you look at it, and any rare thing that makes sense in this world, he holds onto.

But this saying, however true he may find it to be, cannot be applied to Park Jimin.

If anything, it's the opposite. Yoongi tries his hardest to convince himself to be afraid of Jimin every moment that he's on his own. Staring at his bedroom ceiling and pulling his blankets around him, brushing his teeth, taking the keys out of his car, eating wimpy breakfasts off of plastic dishes.

But when they're together, he feels at home. Comforted. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, but Jimin, as always, is a mystery.

"No it wasn't," the blonde insists, picking up a fry and throwing it at Yoongi. "It was Papa's Pizzeria. I'm telling you."

The chances they'd be in line next to each other at a fast food joint within a week since their last meeting were a million to one. The chances Yoongi would let Jimin sit with him after realizing they were next to each other were even lower. Today's a day for unlikely events.

Yoongi picks up the thrown fry from its landing spot on his jacket. "We played Rotate and Roll the first time we talked in comp, and every day we had the laptops after that," he says, popping the fry in his mouth. "We played it way more."

"Ugh," groans Jimin, chewing in the most pouty way a person can chew. "Stop remembering things better than me."

"Sorry," Yoongi says, shrugging, but he can see the smile peeking out behind Jimin's glare. He can't seem to hold his sternness for long.

"Whatever," he mutters. "I still have Wii Sports and the old Mario Kart at home, so I have video game superiority."

Yoongi perks up in his seat, straightening out his slouch. "For real?" he asks with new interest, "And you have your old wii?"

"Hell yeah." Jimin smiles even wider. "If you want to come over and play sometime..."

"Yeah," is Yoongi's enthusiastic response, delivered before he can even think about it twice. Who knows if it'll actually happen? All he knows is that he kind of likes the thought of them curled up on the couch again, competitive and way too loud for the time of night.

"I'm so ing broke," Jimin elects to say a few minutes later, toying with his two napkins, waving them back and forth like flags. "I'm gonna take these napkins home and use them as paper towels," he adds after staring at them for a while.

Yoongi snorts. "Not a bad idea, honestly."

"You think I'm joking," Jimin remarks, finishing the last of his fries.

"No," Yoongi admits. He's not that far off from broke himself. "Just don't give me too many ideas. I'll turn into a lazy ."

"Turn into?" Jimin replies, his grin cheeky.

"Oh, c'mon. That's just cold."

"Sorry, I think I'm still hungry," Jimin sighs, hanging his head back dramatically. "I just can't afford to pay for more food because I'm ing broke."

Yoongi remembers that tone of voice from high school. It's one half joking and the other half serious, and he wonders what the extent of Jimin's broke-ness really is.

"Why is life so expensive?" continues Jimin, "I didn't ask to be here. It's so hard to come up with cheap things to do."

"I mean, we're at McDonald's, so that's a start," Yoongi chuckles. Then, he slides his hand over his wallet in his pocket, wondering in the back of his mind why - if Jimin's as broke as he says - the blonde bought him a meal last week. God knows, but it can't hurt to apply the Golden Rule at this Golden Opportunity.

He gives Jimin one last mildly amused look and stands up, and somehow that says everything. At least, to Jimin it does. "Wait, wait, Yoongi," he babbles, reaching to grab for his hand in a last minute attempt to stop him, "You don't have to buy me anything."

"Oh, c'mon," the elder says, quirking his eyebrows and pretending he didn't notice the way their fingers brushed, "It's gonna cost me like, negative nine cents. I'm only doing it to shut you up anyways."

"Oh, yeah?" Jimin returns, grinning. "Then I'll allow it, I guess."

"Thank you, your grace."

Jimin, eternally grateful, finishes tearing his meal to bits about seventy seconds after it's placed in front of him by Yoongi, who watches him devour it, making a disgusted face, wondering why he enjoys the company of this absolute moron. But then goofy Jimin thanks him for the twelfth time with his lips perked around his straw, and Yoongi remembers why.

"So, how'd you get that one?" Jimin asks, finally not hungry. "I've been meaning to ask."

It's unclear what he means by that until Yoongi remembers the purple mark on his forearm, existing in the general direction that Jimin is pointing his finger. "Oh yeah," he mutters, wishing for the billionth time that he had stronger blood vessels. "I slipped on ice."

"Oh...my god," Jimin tries to hold back his impending laugh, but can't. "Sorry, sorry," he says when Yoongi glares at him, "I'm just picturing it. I'm sorry."

The blonde is covering his laughing mouth with his hand now, and Yoongi, defensive, tries to fight back. "What's that, then?" he asks, pointing to a circular purple mark close to his elbow.

Jimin is still smiling, but his laughter slowly dies down, and he opts to sip his drink before he speaks. "Eh, nothing," he tells him, shrugging, pushing his sleeve up near his wrist. "I burnt myself when I was cooking."

"Since when do you cook?" Yoongi squints, dubious.

Jimin shrugs. "Since I became an adult and realized no one else is gonna do it for me."

"Fair enough."

Yoongi's seconds away from asking him what kitchen tool or appliance did that to him when he hears a ringtone that isn't his, and the table vibrates just microscopically from the buzzing of a phone.

It's the iPhone laying face down next to some napkins, and Yoongi glances at Jimin, silently asking, you gonna get that?

Jimin's look back silently answers, yeah. But I don't want to.

For some reason, the blonde makes an almost squeamish face when he takes the phone into his hands, glaring at the screen like it had done him some egregious wrong. He sends an apologetic look in Yoongi's direction before picking up.

"Hello?" he says, directing his eyes to the wall.

Yoongi bites his chapped lips. He can't hear the voice on the other line, but as the seconds pass, he wishes he could. Then he could understand why Jimin's making such an unpleasant face.

The unpleasant face gets a little worse, twisting his lips and tightening his hand around the phone. "What?" he mutters, turning his back to Yoongi a little bit. "No, I didn't."

Yoongi starts to play with his straw, trying not to eavesdrop. He tries to look in the other direction. Somehow, he manages to feel like he's intruding even though this person's not here.

"Why do you always say that?" he hears beside him, irritated and on the edge of miserable. "Just...just wait, okay?"

Disappointment creeps into his gut when that's followed by, "Yes, I'll be there in like, ten minutes. Yeah. Okay, bye."

Jimin ends the call, sets his hand palm-up on the table and lets his phone slide out bit by bit.

"Who was that?" Yoongi asks, concerned but not meaning to let him know that.

"It's my roommate," Jimin mutters, slouching in dread further and further into his seat. "He's ing nuts."

Yoongi sips his almost empty drink, hearing the ice clack around at the bottom of the cup. "What does he want?" he asks.

"He's talking about some, like, mess he thinks I made. I don't know," groans the blonde, gathering his trash to throw away. "I have to go deal with him."

Jimin tosses out his things before returning for his dark green coat, and Yoongi watches him wrap it around himself, looking disappointed to be leaving. Yoongi's disappointed too.

"Well, uh. See you soon," he says, doing his best smile for Yoongi, placing a palm on his back briefly.

Yoongi feels a tingle for the second that Jimin's palm rests there. It's warm, and he misses it when it's gone. "Yeah," he replies, nodding his head, "Let's play Wii Sports next time."

Jimin smirks, winking before turning to leave.

____

a/n
i love wii sports but our wii broke :(( o well 

hope you guys liked this! c: