seven.

Peach

"Hey, dude," Jimin murmured, leaning over in a very concentrated Yoongi's direction. His index finger came to rest under the fifth question on their worksheet, which had now been ing him up for a grand total of seven minutes. "Do you know how to do this one?"

Without expecting anything, Jimin still managed to be disappointed when Yoongi was silent. The introvert continued to work through problems at lightening speed, like he was in his own dimension where time and space and other people ceased to exist.

Jimin frowned, reaching forward to tug on the sleeve of Yoongi's black jacket. It was soft and thick enough to make Jimin wonder how he wasn't burning up in this heated room. "Dude. I'm talking to you," he said.

Yoongi startled a little, turning his head around to find Jimin, waiting.

Things seemed different this time. Jimin was bothering him again, but Yoongi didn't seem bothered. He just leaned over to look at the question Jimin's little finger pointed at, and Jimin wondered - as he watched skilled eyes scan over the words in record time - if he was secretly a robot.

Soon, Yoongi spoke up, which was really what Jimin was going for in the first place. "Make an ICE table here," he directed, drawing out the setup lightly with his pencil, "Set the constant equal to this equation and solve it. Then you can do a negative log to find the pH," he explained, sketching out guided work in little steps.

It must've been the most Jimin had ever heard him speak within the span of thirty seconds.

"Damn. You should tutor people on this stuff," he mused as he admired the great Min Yoongi's work on the edge of his paper. It was equal parts messy and legible, but Jimin was mostly focused on the fact that his seat-mate was a living, breathing Google. "You're like, a secret genius."

Yoongi snorted, pushing his glasses up on his nose. "Mm, right. And Sehun's puns aren't terrible," he replied, going back to scratching down his Secret Genius math language on his paper.

That made Jimin laugh in agreement, but Sehun, who had overheard, whipped around. "Who said that?"

Jimin shot him a 'not guilty' look, pointing over at Yoongi with both of his thumbs. And Sehun looked like he was about to tell him just how impossible that was when Yoongi raised his hand without looking up, owning up to his statement.

Sehun's lips dropped open like someone had pushed a button on his back. There was just something about the thought of Yoongi doing normal, human being things that was really mind-blowing to the kids in this class. "Holy . So he did speak," the pun-machine vocalized. He was gawking by that point.

Yoongi still didn't look up, but muttered, "Yup."

Sehun looked extremely impressed, but it wasn't hard to impress Sehun. Ask his friends, or anyone that had ever given him a Christmas gift. "His first words all year, and he roasts me. You're a savage, Min Yoongi," he commented. "I guess you could say I've got my ion you," he added, winking and shooting finger guns at him.

There was a small pause.

"That...was just...terrible," Jimin slowly said after a moment, at a loss for words. "Never have children."

Yoongi's usually pouty lips tugged upwards the tiniest bit, and although it was closer to a smirk, it was the closest thing to a smile Jimin had ever seen on his face. "It's okay, Jimin," he put in, sweeping his hair out of his face. "He only makes bad chemistry jokes because all the good ones Argon."

Jimin threw his calculator at him.

, , ,

Crowds were fine. Jimin didn't really mind them, as long as they were in the right place at the right time.

To clarify, the achingly long hallways at the end of the school day was not the right place, or the right time.

The sea of students he had to swim through had been an object of his irritation for years, so it wasn't that the feeling was anything new to him.

His hatred usually reached its peak, however, when he was trying to catch up to somebody. That just so happened to be what he was doing in that moment.

How can this guy be so fast? he thought to himself, apologizing as he bumped into a girl so tall she could be a science experiment. His legs aren't long enough.

Maybe - if he could ever catch up - he'd ask him where he found that extraordinary speed in his tiny pair of legs. Jimin, as he were, didn't really know where social boundaries laid.

"Yoongi, wait up!" he called again, and miraculously, the boy with the glasses turned around, realizing that his name was being shouted (borderline obnoxiously) down the hallway.

When was Yoongi going to realize that people - Jimin - wanted to talk to him? Jimin pondered this as he was smashed against a locker for the fourth time in the past minute and a half.

"C'mere!" he cried, gesturing for Yoongi to fall back through the crowd to him.

Yoongi had made good progress towards escaping the school building, he didn't want to just ignore him. So, he stopped, shuffling backwards towards Jimin as the blonde weaved his way to him.

Soon, they were about two feet apart, and Jimin reached out past a buff, slow-walking dude to try and find something of Yoongi's to grip onto. With grabby hands and enough determination, he was eventually able to get ahold of Yoongi's backpack strap.

He made sure not to pull too hard on it. Yoongi was little, and Jimin was aware that with his own strength, if he yanked, his little friend might slip and fall. Maybe break every bone in his body, for all he knew.

Finally, they fell in next to each other, and Jimin could relax. "Jesus. That should not have been so difficult," he huffed, letting go of Yoongi's backpack strap and shaking his head.

Yoongi nodded like he was just agreeing for the sake of not disagreeing. Jimin didn't really notice, anyways. There was something much easier for him to notice, and that thing was that today, Yoongi's sleeves were short enough to show part of his upper arms.

That observation sounds pretty homoual of him until you know the part about the dark tinges of purple on Yoongi's skin, creeping along the edge of his sleeve.

Jimin quirked his eyebrows. That seemed like a weird place to have a bruise so...expansive.

"What's that from?" he asked, pointing to the puddle of violet on his arm.

Yoongi glanced down, looking for whatever was making Jimin stare like that, and he found it before long. It wasn't easy to miss. "This?" he questioned, lifting his sleeve up to show him the full affliction.

Jimin nodded with widened eyes, wondering what kind of fall you'd have to take to get something like that.

As if they weren't talking about a suspiciously large bruise, Yoongi gave him a tiny grin. "Remember when you threw your calculator at me yesterday?"

Jimin's stomach dropped a few inches, and he in a short gasp of guilt. ", seriously?" he blurted out. He couldn't help gaping. "I threw it at you that hard?"

"Guess so," Yoongi replied.

"I- Holy , I'm so sorry, dude," Jimin babbled. Damn, why did he feel so guilty? Remorse was definitely new. "I don't know how I managed that."

Yoongi laughed quietly in response, a sort of crackling sound. Jimin's lower back tingled when he heard it. "Hey, I'm messing with you," he admitted. "Somebody hit me in the same place. That's why."

A punch. Jimin couldn't help but frown. He knew he hadn't done that, and he also knew that Yoongi didn't have enough friends for that to be a friendly punch.

His thought process must have been obvious on his face, because Yoongi sighed. "Here. Punch me right there," he directed, patting an empty spot like unclaimed land just waiting for a flag to be stuck in it.

It was clear that Jimin wasn't following by the look on his face and the way he said, "What?"

Yoongi rolled his eyes in the fond way. "Just do it. Like we're friends and I just said something stupid or cheesy," he explained, tapping the spot again.

"But we are friends," Jimin said on instinct, "Right?"

Jimin wasn't sure whether or not he imagined the red dusting over Yoongi's cheeks, but he knows he didn't imagine the awkward clearing of his throat, the nervousness for the span of about three seconds.

Then, lips still clamped shut, he patted his shoulder again, just like before. Jimin had to make himself give in, scrunching up his hand in a fist so loose, his fingertips barely brushed his palm. His look was dubious, but Yoongi's nod was encouraging.

Finally giving in, Jimin reached over to bonk him on the spot with the amount of strength he'd use on his eighty year old grandmother.

Yoongi's eyebrows raised so slowly, Jimin thought he might have to call the Guinness Book of World Records. What was the opposite of breaking the sound barrier? "Seriously?" he said, "You bruised me with a goddamn calculator and now you're telling me that's all you've got?"

"You said that wasn't all me!" Jimin exclaimed in his defense. "And I don't want to hit you. You're tiny, I'm gonna hurt you."

"Oh my god, I'm sure you're not that strong. Just do it. Don't be a little ."

Jimin paused - a moment of silence for his fallen ego. "Damn. Whatever you say," he returned, having no choice but to give Yoongi the punch he'd been waiting for. One with significant power, right in that empty spot below the Godzilla bruise.

Yoongi did sport a wince that you'd miss if you blinked, and it was impressive - the way he managed to banish it in a fraction of a second. "There," he said, satisfied for some damn reason. "If that was as hard as it felt, there should be a bruise there tomorrow."

"What?" Jimin blurted out. "For real? , Yoongi, why'd you ask me to-"

"Sh, hey, don't worry about it, ," he assured him, with a clear lack of bitterness in his voice. "I'm just showing you I bruise easily."

They reached the several glass doors leading out of the school, and Jimin pushed one open, holding it for Yoongi. "That's your point?" he asked, disgruntled.

Yoongi nodded, shivering slightly when the cool wind hit him. Today would've been a good day for a jacket. "Yup," he told his friend. Apparently that's what he was now.

"Okay, but that," Jimin began to reason, pushing Yoongi's sleeve up and pointing to the monster of a bruise, "That's suspiciously dark. It looks like somebody beat you with a in' baseball bat."

Yoongi snorted. "I mean, it doesn't help that I'm see-through pale," he added, wrapping his arms around himself to try and keep warm. "People always ask me if I'm in some sort of physically abusive relationship."

Jimin's jaw dropped open. ". That's too real."

"I know. I mean, our relationship is only emotionally abusive."

"Wow. How dare you."

Yoongi actually had a reply on the tip of his tongue, ready to be fired when all of a sudden, he heard the shuffling of Jimin's feet on the sidewalk cease, and the remark was lost to his departing train of thought.

His eyes found their way to Jimin, who had stopped at the doors of Bus 93. As he picked up the muffled sounds of two girls yelling at each other over some guy named Minhyuk, Yoongi decided that he didn't miss riding the bus.

"Hey, before I get on," Jimin began, fixing his hair as the wind batted against it, "I wanted to ask you something."

Yoongi wasn't sure whether he was tricking himself into thinking that Park Jimin wanted something real from him. "Mm?"

"Do you think you could, um," Jimin muttered, starting to do something that Yoongi had no clue he was capable of doing.

Getting shy.

"Could you tutor me, I guess?" he finally asked, reaching a fidgety hand up to rub the back of his neck. "I mean, it's just that I never really get what's going on in chem, so I thought since you're a secret genius-"

Yoongi snorted, but didn't bother to correct him.

"-you could help me out," he finished, shrugging. "If you want to," he added, because no, he definitely wasn't begging for anything.

It was funny, Yoongi thought. Jimin always seemed like one of those kids who couldn't get self conscious about things. But getting self conscious was human nature. Trying to put Jimin's personality in a box would be irresponsible.

"Yeah. Let's..." Yoongi mumbled, getting goosebumps along his arms, and not just because he was cold. "Let's do that."

That was the very first time since they'd met that Jimin had ever seen Yoongi genuinely, warmly smile.

Honestly, he was pretty sure he'd never liked a guy's smile so much before.

____

a/n
s o f t