four.

Peach

Somehow, Jimin found the brainpower to come to a certain conclusion the next morning. And that conclusion was that he wasn't nearly as observant as he thought.

This occurred to him when he walked into his writing composition class at nine a.m. only to notice a certain, not-particularly-happy-looking pair of eyes lingering on him from across the room.

The grumpy eyes of a boy with black hair, thick-framed glasses, and blue earbuds.

Jimin didn't think he'd ever gulp at something non-sarcastically, but it seemed this was the second time in the past thirty seconds he was going to prove himself wrong.

The ? Since when was he in this class?

It was laughable, actually. Park Jimin was not the type to get nervous, ever. He was high enough on the imaginary high school hierarchy to forget that feelings were a thing, and most people would have to shove a copperhead in his mouth to get him to freak out.

And yet, there he was, sliding sweaty palms into his jean pockets and contemplating whether balls-to-the-wall bolting out of this room would be the preferable option to spending the next forty-five minutes in the same room as Min Yoongi. It wouldn't be the first time he'd skipped a class.

The only thing stopping him at that point was the fact that his nerves were totally and completely irrational. Yesterday, he'd proven that Yoongi was harmless, especially to someone as fit as himself. The small boy couldn't even escape Jimin's bear hug with all of his channeled willpower, let alone do anything remotely harmful.

That's right. Yoongi wouldn't hurt a fly. Or rather, he couldn't, even if he wanted to.

And so, seeing as Jimin was an idiot and their teacher for this class literally could not care less where his students sat, he decided he wasn't going to be afraid of this shrimp. It wasn't like anyone else was going to sit next to him anyways.

After going over to grab two laptops from the cart, (they were currently working on a huge research project that was going to make up percent of their grade) he weaved through the clumped-together desks to the other side of the room, muttering sorry's and my bad's whenever he'd bump or brush against someone. Their teacher really needed to rethink the organization of this classroom.

"You're welcome," he remarked as he set one of the laptops down in front of Yoongi, who only turned his head to stare at him like there was something growing out of his head other than hair.

Jimin simply plopped down in the empty seat next to him, opening his own laptop as if he hadn't noticed the look on Yoongi's face. "Something wrong?"

Yoongi paused for a moment before slowly shaking his head, almost like there actually wasn't something bugging him, but he wanted there to be.

If only Jimin could tell what the hell was going on in that head of Yoongi's all the time. Something told him there was a decent chance of finding plans for world domination in there.

"Question," he began impulsively, turning his head to the boy who now had his lazy eyes on his laptop screen. Probably typing away at his essay, which Jimin guessed was probably much better and probably twice as finished as his own.

Yoongi just glanced at him briefly to signal that he was listening, and at this point, Jimin knew that was the best he was going to get.

"What's your opinion on grape jelly beans?" he asked, typing three of his favorite words ever into the search bar on his laptop.

Yoongi just shrugged indifferently, like he always did, not even spending the effort it took to make eye contact. Jimin could be pretty laid back about a lot of things, but sometimes he wondered if Yoongi cared about anything.

Not that purple jelly beans that had been stuffed in his backpack pocket since yesterday were anything to call home about, but he could honestly imagine Yoongi finding out he'd won the lottery, and still shrugging like he'd just been asked how often he takes trips to the grocery store.

"Well, do you like them?" he tried, clicking on the top website in his search list.

Yoongi shrugged again. "Yeah," he finally responded in his low, rough voice. Jimin still couldn't get over the fact that a voice like that could even come out of someone like Yoongi. It was fascinating, like something out of a nature documentary.

Not that Jimin watched nature documentaries, of course. He definitely did not ever curl up at four in the morning on the weekend and listen to David Attenborough talk about baboons, only awake thanks to caffeine and the fact that adulthood was inevitable, so he might as well waste his time while he still can.

Shaking away flashbacks, he lifted his book-bag up from the floor and set it in his lap, ping a side pocket so he could pull out his underwhelming surprise. (Which is a terrible sentence, now that he thought about it.)

His only regret was that he didn't get Yoongi's expression on video when he set down the open bag of Starburst jelly beans in front of him. Without a doubt he would've made a gif of it. There was just nothing funnier and more surprising than seeing the guy's face actually do something.

After Jimin had already returned to clicking away at his keyboard, he heard Yoongi ask, "You don't like them, do you?"

"Hm?"

"Grape jelly beans," Yoongi clarified.

"Nope. They taste like cough medicine to me," he admitted. "Really, they shouldn't exist. There's no purple Starburst candy, so it makes no sense."

"True."

When it came down to it, Yoongi had been wondering from the beginning if Jimin was actually trying to make friends with him, or just .

See, Yoongi was the type of guy that other guys would lean towards to whisper, "She has a crush on you," pointing at some annoyed girl just to make people laugh. So when someone like Jimin came along and started to talk to him and offer him things, he had reason to be suspicious.

Either way, Jimin talking to him apparently meant that he was entitled to - if not forcibly given - his leftover candy. So that was a thing.

He wasn't complaining, though. Rejecting free sugar at nine a.m. on a school morning would make him even more of a than he gave himself credit for.

Brushing off the odd gesture, Yoongi reached his hand into the already open bag and started to snack on what he'd been given, and he knew he needed to work on his essay, but he just couldn't get himself to look back at his laptop.

"Is that...Cool Math Games?" Yoongi found that he was asking the question before even realizing he'd opened his mouth, and one of his long fingers pointed at Jimin's laptop screen.

It was a pointless question, since the answer was quite literally right in front of his face. Jimin answered nonetheless. "Yeah. This level is so hard," he griped, his own careful index finger pressing down on an arrow key.

Yoongi blinked. "You're playing Rotate and Roll."

Jimin contrasted him by not blinking at all. Yoongi had to commend him on his concentration. "Yes I am."

To be frank, Jimin was stupid. It was just a fact, a fact that Yoongi knew.

And yet, there he was, watching him play on this dumb website when they were both supposed to be working. Internally be every time Jimin popped the little ball on the side of the screen.

"You gotta move it there," he directed, reaching past the blonde to tap a little space in the virtual wooden maze.

"Okay, hold on." Jimin toyed with it, eyes completely zoned in on the screen. If someone had slapped him in the face right then, he probably wouldn't have flinched.

Nonetheless, a small sigh sounded from beside him when once again, despite his efforts, the little red ball burst.

"," he grumbled, frowning.

"You at this."

Jimin was in the middle of contemplating whether he should defend himself or agree when large, grabby hands reached over into his space - a little too close for comfort, he might add - and he tore his eyes away from the laptop in time to watch Yoongi mutter, "Let me see it."

Scooting away an inch or so, he nodded. "Knock yourself out, man."

For minutes upon minutes, they switched back and forth. Yoongi ate his purple jelly beans, and when Jimin would make really dumb mistakes, he would mumble the occasional, "," or "Smooth."

And although they never beat that awful demon level before they had to leave for their next class, Jimin found himself feeling oddly satisfied as he walked into the hallway that day, hiking his backpack up on his shoulder.

____

a/n
guys, i love rotate and roll. me and my friends used to spend so much school time playing cool math games

also idk why i keep updating this at night. like why do i do that?? i have no idea lol. hope you liked this fluff tho. innocent high school yoonmin, masters of sarcasm amirite