Chapter 24: Crimson Night

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day finally came for them to carry out the assassination plans. The Crown Prince’s birthday celebration would be carried out in the main camp, in a large and lavish tent that could host hundreds of invited guests which had included the officials and ministers. Almost all of the men in camp were mobilised for this occasion, which meant that all five Prides were there as well. Guarding, patrolling, and anticipating for the moment to come.  

The occasion was an elaborate one with plays, dances, and music lined up for its guests. Seulgi, after receiving news that their plans were all in place then made the pretence of busying herself with upholding the tight security for the banquet.

Over the several days, there have been multiple assassination attempts on the Crown Prince’s. All of which were staged, arranged by the Prides, to lead their men to believe that an assassination attempt would come in the form of blades and dramatic fights when in actuality, it would be a simple and quiet ploy. No clashing of blades, only the subtle use of poison. No blood spilt, only the crippling of internal organs. No collateral damages, only one life to be claimed; the Crown Prince’s. It all went extremely well, so well that Seulgi could not help but feel that something was amiss.    

Poison, most would presume that they would be mixed in food and wine but not many would have guessed that it would be lathered on the chopsticks used by the Prince. Seulgi smiled at Joohyun and the committee’s thoughtfulness to details. The added ingenuity of this poison from Ni’Xin would be that not only was it colourless and odourless but it could only be activated upon the consumption of alcohol. Seulgi smiled as she knew the Crown Prince’s habits only too well. No event attended by Crown Prince was without alcohol.

Seulgi had stationed herself near the mouth of the tent, her eyes appearing hawk-like poising to catch any assassins that dared an assasination attempt on this fine day. The Colonel would question any stray personnel who got too close to the main tent. It was all but an act, an act so polished that she could almost fool herself into believing that it was genuine. Yet, there would be no assassins who would dare a flamboyant attempt that night, Seulgi knew, because they were the assassins, the masked villains who would rob this country of their Strategist and crush their military abilities to smithereens.   

There were multiple contingency plans because Joohyun and the committee were dead serious about them returning alive. The Colonel closed her eyes as she prayed those plans would never get activated because that would mean that their escape would be very much more difficult and that their mission would only be half-accomplished. Seulgi would shudder to think what a failure of this final mission could result in... the Crimson Pride committee’s disappointment, a waste of the Pride’s time and efforts, and her family… The Colonel could almost smell freedom. gritted her teeth and bit back another grin, she cannot give herself away. She must not fail, they cannot afford to fail.  

 

Loud applauses from the audience sounded after the opening zither performance by none other than Wei’Ya’s top zither artist, also a spy that Baekhyun had recruited by means besides money. The Colonel had been told by Jongin that the men had not only recruited numerous male spies but also female spies who were only too willing to cede to Baekhyun’s request with both his flesh and silver as payment. Seulgi sighed at her brother’s lustful behaviour then smiled. The end of the opening performance would mean the beginning of the feast.

Her eyes caught sight of Jongin, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo, patrolling near the tents. Soon. Despite their faces being a stony mask, like how they usually were as they carried out the day’s mundane activities, Seulgi could sense their anticipation, it was so palpable, she could almost taste it.

All their attentions were on full alert when the opening speech began. As per normal the Crown Prince began his speech by thanking the ministers' audience and highlighting Wei’Ya’s military achievements in that year together with the promise that Wei’Ya would only become stronger and ultimately be the country that will unify the three other countries. Then from there, things began to take an ugly turn.

Seulgi had heard all those pompous words from the Crown Prince’s mouth countless times and therefore was extremely used to it however Jongin was not so used to it. The Garrison Commander could not stifle his disgust and rolled his eyes. This action, however, did not go unnoticed by the General who had been near enough during that time and for that, Jongin received a hard slap.

Seulgi clenched her jaws to prevent feeling anything for Jongin. Steadied by Chanyeol, the Garrison Commander had managed to reign in his temper and stopped right outside the tent, where his designated spot should have been.

The ugliness of the situation was mimicked within the tent as well when the Crown Prince had suddenly unveiled a disobedience committed by the Minister of Agriculture. The Minister whom the Crown Prince had frequently played Go with. A wise man.

“They said blood shouldn’t be splattered on birthdays but I think otherwise. I love the colour Red and so Red shall be the colour of my day,” the Prince bellowed as he drew out his sword from the scabbard and laid the blade on the shoulder of the Minister who stared back with defiant eyes as if already knowing what would be coming for him.   

“Tell me Minister, why have you gone against my orders?” The Crown Prince leered with his eyes narrowed cunningly.

“I stand by my decision to give land to the refugees of the towns who had been laid sieged to by the country of Qi’An three years ago. Those are our people as well.”

“Are they?” The Crown Prince asked contemptuously. “Where do their loyalties lie, Minister? Tell me then, why some of them are scrambling to get back to Qi’An?” The Crown Prince’s sword edged towards the Minister’s neck as everyone at the feast watched with abated breaths.

Seulgi stood and watched with impassioned eyes that did not match her feelings. Turmoil stirred within her heart, masked by the stone-cold expression she wore. The Colonel then recalled how she had been involved in the said siege and the conflicting emotions she felt back then. Who knew that there would still be repercussions from that siege three years later and its aftermath experienced in their enemy country. Seulgi nearly felt guilty. No! This is war... Seulgi quieted her mind as she looked on, her expression unwavering. 

“Those who pledge their allegiance to Qi’An are but a minority. I stand by my decision to save the others.” The Minister said again, his eyes still determined.

The Minister was a good person and he had courage. If he was under a wiser ruler, he would likely fluorish. Yet, he was not. The Colonel knew all too well where this would be headed but she did not imagine that she would underestimate the cruelty of the Crown Prince.

“General, bring them in,” the Crown Prince ordered. 

General Zitao gave Seulgi a mocking smirk before he relayed a series of instructions for his men to bring in the family of the Minister’s. It was then that the Colonel was unable to hold back her emotions and had clenched her fist to restrain herself for she knew she could not save them, any of them, they were doomed.    

There were at least thirty of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter