Chapter 17: The Spies

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Five men, she would have to choose five men for this mission. A mission where these five would possibly not return from, if she had not chosen wisely. Seulgi paced about her tent, passing instructions for her night to not be further disturbed, by anyone, and that included the Strategist.

There were too many things on her mind, too many things to be done, and too little time. These five men must not only be able to work cohesively, be smart enough to find and peer into where secrets are kept and also keep their lives all at the same time. These five candidates… in all truth it was already clear to Seulgi who they should be.

Seulgi saw her tent flap open from the corner of her eye and her hand went immediately for the hilt of the sword. How could this person enter when she had already posted sentries outside of her tent and relayed such clear instructions that nobody, not even the Strategist, could come in. Seulgi finally understood why this person had managed to enter, it was the Princess.  

“Colonel, I am sorry to intrude,” the Princess said with an apologetic smile on her face. 

Seulgi, after relaxing her grip on the hilt of her sword, then gave an equally embarrassed smile before offering the Princess a seat for she knew that the Princess was here because she had matters to discuss. Seulgi also took a seat opposite of the Princess before they began their conversation.

“I am sorry, I had not thought that the Princess might come to visit me,” Seulgi began.

Princess Seungwan put on a good-natured smile and shook her head lightly to indicate that she did not mind a single bit. “I believe Joohyun must already have told you about Crimson Pride even before the meeting.”

Seulgi nodded coolly, guessing why the Princess must have visited so late into the night.

“And we have relinquished the task of selecting men to you because we believe that you have an eye for your men,” the Princess continued, choosing her words carefully.  

Seulgi nodded again. The Princess’s expression then began to reflect her worries. It was hard to imagine that this Princess before her was the same jovial Princess that have been with them during the five-day break. It was also at this moment that it occurred to the Colonel that while Seulgi had her petty family matters to fret over, the Princess had the country’s affairs weighing down on her shoulders. Perhaps, just perhaps, Seulgi thought she might not have been in such a bad predicament after all.

“I will select the men justly.” Seulgi said.

The Princess’s eyes widened as they met Seulgi’s hard ones and her breath hitched. Moments passed as the Princess pondered over those words before shutting her eyes as if conflicted by her own duties and emotions. Then, the Princess said nothing more and just apologised to the Colonel for disturbing his night. She even wished him a good night before she stood up to leave.

Now alone, Seulgi let her own vulnerability show once more as tears emerged from her eyes. She knew why the Princess had come to her tent that night even though the Princess had not stated explicitly her purpose of visiting. It was for Chanyeol’s sake and yet, the Princess could not express it bluntly because she had her country to answer to.

Seulgi was the same too, she had her own family to answer too but she had her country to protect as well. What if she could marry the two purposes together. A reasonable request for the success of the mission… her father’s pardon… Seulgi squeezed her eyes shut tightly when a third, opposing factor came to her mind; Joohyun. It would be difficult and painful for Seulgi, for both of them, but Seulgi had to do it, which was why she called for a meeting with all soldiers with rankings of Garrison Commander and up to her own rank.

 

Jongin peered around those clueless faces at the meeting, which was called in the morning, after the meeting for Proposal Crimson Pride. Those who looked more nervous but were trying to hide it, were the Captains, his band of brothers for they knew the intent of this meeting. The Colonel had been sitting in silence at the head of the table until the official time came for the start of the meeting.

The Colonel then gave a brief outline about a certain Proposal, only enough details to highlight the dangers of the mission and the side mentioning of the attractive rewards. After he was done, the Colonel then announced something that Jongin thought was the unthinkable; the Colonel would be taking part in the mission himself.  

Jongin felt his head becoming lighter, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo too, expressed equal shock, each in their own way. Chanyeol, who seemed to be the most shocked of them all, had to clutch on to the table for support. Whilst Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had their fists tightly clenched.

“I will give you all a day to think, I will require four men to be on this mission with me. Volunteer yourselves in my tent. Dismissed.” The Colonel’s instructions were so crisp and precise.

“Oh and one thing, no other person besides all of you in this tent should know about whatever took place here. If word leaks out, all of you will be severely punished.” The Colonel warned before he exited the tent swiftly.

Even after he has left, Jongin continued staring at the seat where the Colonel had been and that was when he knew that he had already made his decision and became the first to appear in the Colonel’s tent.

**

Chanyeol was sitting on his bed, gripping the edges of the bed frame tightly when Baekhyun had paid a visit. The Captain of Crimson’s head shot up and looked ahead at the Captain of Silver.

Both had their jaws squared and nostrils slightly flared. There was animosity between them since a few days ago. A result of Chanyeol’s unwillingness to divulge where he had gone during the five-day break. Baekhyun was not a fool and had guessed that his closest friend, and brother-in-arms was out on a date with none other than the Princess.

Yet, this was a time that required them to lay down their conflict with each other and to come to a consensus on what was required of them to do.

“Will you still act responsibly to your country and to your fellow brother-in-arms despite having a woman in your life?” Baekhyun asked coldly.

Chanyeol wanted to look away, he was mad, so mad at Baekhyun’s way of words. Instead, th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter