Chapter 11: The Colonel

Crimson Pride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two years passed and during that two years, Qi’An has achieved several outstanding accomplishments and was now neck and neck with Wei’Ya in terms of military capabilities and land space. Yet, no matter how strong Qi’An had become, threats continued to loom ahead for them, from both Wei’Ya and Ni’Xin. Engaged in a three-way battle, Qi’An’s sovereign knew that they needed to quickly disentangle themselves from their battles with one of the countries to pool their resources together to focus their assault on only one state, that was Wei’Ya. 

The Elite Troop, ever since the siege of the peripheral towns of Wei’Ya, have also become more involved with the main troops in war manoeuvres. The Strategist, who had pieced together and nurtured the Elite Troops, was now in joint command with her father, the Lord Commander, and Sehun, the Fourth Prince. Together, the three crafted out strategic plans for the Main and Elite Troops with the Elite Troops specialising in more complicated and unorthodox tasks such as that of the battle at the narrows passes and also the river battles. All of which were achieved because of the wise strategic manoeuvres by the Strategist, the Prince and the Lord Commander.

Seulgi, who had been a Captain two years before, was now promoted to the ranks of the Colonel, the highest rank ever achieved by a man of such tender age. This, brought to the Kang Family much glory and strengthened the family’s political clout. Since a year ago, the Kang family could not only take part in official court meetings for the discussion to regulate trade deals and plan the country’s trade routes, the family was also granted exclusive trade deals by the Crown to procure advanced military weapons from the Western world.

Meanwhile, Jongin was promoted to become the Lieutenant Colonel. Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun all became Captains of Crimson, Indigo, and Silver respectively.

Also, attributed to the numerous discussions between the Colonel, the Strategist and the Fourth Prince, each of the Companies of a different colour were further specialised in different areas.

Crimson was in charge of frontline battles, with preference in using short melee weapons, such as the sabre, sword, and axes. Led by Chanyeol, the Crimson company was the favoured one to be at the frontline in any of their assaults. Indigo too, was at the frontlines, but they were more specialised in the use of long-range weapons such as the spear or other polearms, suitable for use while riding their steeds charging at high speed. Meanwhile, the Silver Company was intended to become the support for Crimson and Indigo and were specially trained in the use of bows and the inventions and operations of war machines. The Silver Company was so highly successful in the past two years with their research in war machineries that they were granted nearly unlimited budget for them to progress with work. Everything went well within the Elite Troop.   

As for relationship matters, the Strategist and Colonel Seulgi’s romance remained underground, inconspicuous, and out of the military’s knowledge, or so they hoped. It was easier for them to have late night discussions in each other’s tent now with Seulgi’s status as the Colonel. Nobody dared raise any questions as long as they both came out of the tents looking decent enough. Joohyun was an extremely fine actress, occasionally pulling a sour face, acting as if she had a disagreement with the Colonel, other times with a self-satisfied smirk, as if she had won against an argument against Seulgi. It probably was, except that perhaps, those agreements and disagreements were nothing to do with matters of war but with matters of heart.

Matters of heart… over the two years the Colonel has been learning and failing. With Joohyun, it felt as though all her years of studying had been futile. Her lady was just too quick-witted and could see through her as easily as she did with a child. Yet, Seulgi would not give up until she could best her Strategist in this aspect. It was a competition but it was love at the same time too. The pair of lovers improved with each other as days went by. Usually, they would read in each other’s presence. This night was no exception. The Colonel had been reading a particular book about warfare until the Strategist interrupted her.

“My Colonel, is there anything about Captain Chanyeol that you need to tell me about?” The Strategist's sudden question was a troubling one but Seulgi immediately knew what she was referring to.

Recently, the camp had gained a long-time visitor, and it was none other than Princess Seungwan. Princess Seungwan being the favourite of the Emperor, the jewel of the Royal Family, had always been tasked to oversee matters from the palace. However, due to certain complications within the Royal Family, Princess Seungwan had decided to steer clear away from the rough affairs within the family and escape to the Elite Troop’s training camp instead.

Seulgi had seen the Princess in person once before. That was during the meeting for the plans to lay siege to the border towns of Wei’Ya. The Princess was pretty back then and was still beautiful. Yet, behind those smiles the Princess wore, Seulgi could sensed a certain weariness behind them. Such an observation was not made solely by herself but by the Captain of Crimson, Captain Chanyeol, as well.

As a Colonel and brother in arms with Chanyeol, Seulgi had naturally found out that something seemed to be going on between the Princess and the Captain of the Crimson Company. Captain Chanyeol seemed to be exceptionally good spirits the one time he returned from a horse riding lesson he gave to the Princess.  

It was no wonder the Strategist would have taken interest in this particular affair since it was widely known that Princess Seungwan and the Strategist had grown up together, together with the younger Prince Sehun. Seulgi gave a sidelong glance to her beautiful Joohyun but kept her silence until the Strategist could bear no longer and poked maliciously at the Colonel’s arm.

“The Princess never liked horse riding. Not even the Fourth Prince and I could convince her to join us in our races.” Joohyun jabbed the Colonel over again and again as she complained.  

Finally conceding defeat, Seulgi sighed before she shared her knowledge, “Yes, Captain Chanyeol seems pretty taken by the Princess.”

The Strategist’s raised brow and pursed lips told Seulgi that Joohyun was definitely not satisfied with the answer. There was only one way to placate the Strategist. The Colonel set down the book she was reading, tugged the Strategist towards her chest and caged the lady in her arms.

 

Joohyun gasped at her Colonel’s sudden embrace. She should have expected it because this was her Colonel’s forte, cuddling her whenever words failed. Resisting should be what the Strategist should have done but experience also told her that it was futile against the Colonel’s steel-like hold. It really boggled the Strategist’s mind how could someone like Seulgi be so strong. Those trainings that Seulgi have been through must have been extremely tough and no matter how hard and in whichever way Joohyun asked, Seulgi would always downplay her efforts in training as a child. Every time their fingers interlocked, Joohyun could feel the callouses in the Colonel’s hands and she would feel heartache but proud of Seulgi at the same time. Damn, how did she get herself so distracted.

“Don’t get the wishful thinking that a mere cuddle would work on me this time.” She slapped the Colonel’s armsande heard another pitiable sigh from the Colonel’s lips. “Tell me, did the Captain do anything to the Princess?”

That caught the attention of the Colonel.

“Anything… like?” Seulgi asked, confus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter