Chapter 11

Work of art

The following week, SinB decided to show Miss Kim her music project seeing as without her none of it would’ve been possible. The older yet smaller woman had listened with a big grin across her face. She praised SinB more than she had ever been praised before, and it left the girl a blushing, stuttering mess. Her girlfriend, however, had kept her grounded by wrapping her right arm around her waist and squeezing her hand with her left to remind her this was definitely real. After she had been praised, Miss Kim asked SinB if she’d be able to come back to the music block after school because she ‘just HAS to show Tiffany’. SinB had completely forgotten about her teacher’s friend wanting to listen to her work. If she was honest with herself, she thought the woman was just being polite when she offered to critique it. She smiled and nodded, telling the teacher she would definitely be back after school.

After school had ended, SinB nervously met Yuju who swamped her in a bear hug, planting a soft, nervous kiss on SinB’s cheek which made both girls blush. SinB could feel her skin tingle where Yuju’s lips had touched and she shivered a little, before grabbing the older girl’s hand and walking slowly toward the other side of the site where the music block was. As she reached out for the door, she felt Yuju tug her hand and let herself be pulled back into the other girl’s embrace. “It’s gonna be okay. She’s gonna love it. You don’t have to be nervous”. She whispered into her neck as she rested her head onto SinB’s shoulder.  SinB tightened her grip on Yuju’s hand, tracing her thumb across the back of the older girl’s knuckles as she reached for the door again, whispering a quiet ‘thanks’. After nervously making their way down to the teacher’s office, SinB took a few deep breaths before bracing herself to knock on the old door. Just as she was about to make contact with her knuckles, the door handle turned and SinB jumped back in surprise, straight into the embrace of her girlfriend who stood back-hugging the younger girl when Miss Taeyeon opened the door, followed by who could only be her friend. Yuju was surprised. SinB had told her that the DJ going to listen to her work was beautiful, but words could do no justice to describe how pretty she was. Yuju felt her cheeks warm and could only hope she wasn’t blushing, but the older women’s teasing smiles suggested otherwise.

Miss Kim chuckled a little before smiling warmly at her friend and saying ‘do you remember us getting caught in a similar position before our first performance?’ It was now the other woman’s turn to blush as she reached her hand out to her friend and entwined their fingers. The two students glimpsed at each other awkwardly as they unwrapped from each other, bowing deeply, and greeting the other women. Miss Tiffany held out her hand for a handshake as she introduced herself to Yuju and smiled fondly at SinB.

 

After listening to the track, Tiffany deadpanned and turned to look SinB straight in the eye. “SinB, I’ve been involved in the music industry for a long time. I’ve been in this position before with many teenagers, about your age, all wanting me to be impressed by their work, hoping that something amazing will come out of them showing me. But none of them, I repeat NONE of them…” she paused when a ring tone suddenly blasted through the room. “Sorry, just excuse me for one moment please” she picked up the phone “Hello? Speaking.” A brief pause ensued “Jesus I’m in the middle of something. Can you imbeciles not sort anything out by yourselves? What am I paying you for? Look, just… figure something out for tonight and I’ll deal with it tomorrow” with that she ended the call and took a deep breath, recomposing herself. She turned back to SinB before she continued speaking “as I was saying. No teenager before has ever impressed me with their work as much as you have. Come to think of it, I can’t think of many adults who have done that either.” She chuckled lightly. SinB felt a huge weight drop from her chest and let out the breath she’d been holding. A huge smile took over her entire face. Tiffany smiled as Taeyeon grabbed her hand and entwined their fingers, grinning proudly towards the student. Tiffany only had positive things to say about SinB’s work – how the alterations to the bass line matched perfectly with the new rhythm of the melody, and how the vocals gave the lyrics an uplift. But what she said next shook everyone in the room: “SinB, I’d like to make you a proposition that you should be very interested in” SinB’s face flushed of all colour, Yuju’s eyes opened wide with curiosity and excitement, while Miss Kim pulled on the other woman’s hand, her eyebrows knitted in confusion. “Firstly, I’d like your permission to play your song on my channel, I’ll make sure you get paid very well for it, just as any other artist would. Secondly, I’d like to offer you an internship downtown. It wouldn’t be anything glamorous to begin with, but if it all works out I can hire you and give you your own radio show. You have so much potential that it’d be terrible of me to let it go unnoticed and unappreciated by the world” SinB felt her heart racing, Yuju grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly to show the girl this wasn’t a dream.

“Miss Tiffany… wow… I ummm…. Wow… I don’t know what to say. Thank you! That’s amazing. Oh my word! Do you mind if I take a minute to think on this?” she looked longingly towards the DJ.

“Go ahead, SinB. I’ll just talk to Tiffany outside for a minute.” Miss Kim dragged the other woman out, her aura giving off vibes of mild irritation that SinB didn’t understand. SinB turned to look at her girlfriend, a massive grin tearing up her face. She whistled through her teeth

“Wow, I can’t believe it. Is this real? Did that really just happen?” Yuju’s eyes were filled with happiness as she pulled the younger girl in for a hug

“Yes, yes my little genius, it did. This is really happening. I told you you’d have nothing to worry about. This is such an amazing opportunity, I hadn’t even considered this coming out of it, but wow I’m so proud of you” she squealed into the younger girl’s neck

“Thank you. Are you sure it’s okay though?” Yuju’s brows knitted with confusion as she pulled back a little to look her girlfriend in the eye.

“Of course this is okay, this is better than okay. This is the best thing that could’ve happened to you” she wrapped her arms even tighter around the girl’s neck and pulled her ever closer, forcing SinB’s arms around her waist in the process.

“I mean, are you okay with me giving her permission to use the track? I said I wasn’t going to distribute it, so I want to make sure you’re 100% okay with this before I give it the okay.” SinB nuzzled into the older girl’s warmth. Yuju proceeded to squeeze her tighter.

“I just want you to be happy, and I believe that getting your name out there will do that. If you’re happy, I’m happy”

SinB pressed a quick kiss to Yuju’s jawline before pulling back completely and saying “Thank you so much. You’re the best girlfriend I could’ve asked for” Both girls blushed once eye contact was established.

“Aww, you’re cute, and pretty incredible yourself” Yuju entwined their fingers and pulled SinB towards the door. “Let’s go land you that internship” her eyes twinkled with excitement that mirrored SinB’s. They opened the door quietly and walked out into the corridor overhearing what seemed to be a tense discussion.

“Fany, I don’t think you get it. She’s just a kid, a really sweet and fragile kid. Do you really think she’s ready to face your world?”

“But Taeng, she’ll have me by her side! I’ll make sure that she isn’t over-worked and that she’ll get all of the credit she deserves. Don’t you remember how hard it was when I first started out? If I hadn’t had the support I did, from you, from the team, I wouldn’t have made it where I am today – I see so much of myself in SinB and I want to give her the same chance I had. I can’t let that fire burn uncontrolled, if the wrong people see what she’s capable of, she could be exploited, over-worked and under-payed. She’s safe with me, just like you are.” With that she wraps her arms around the smaller woman’s waist and plants a soft kiss to her lips. That seemed to dissipate all of the tension, Miss Kim wrapped her arms around the other woman’s neck and rested their foreheads together

“I know you’ll look after her, just like you look after me. I just worry for her. You’re kinda hot when you get all defensive like that though” she let out a gentle laugh as she pulled Tiffany’s body closer. SinB couldn’t help but blush and avert her eyes. Yuju cleared upon watching the scene in front of her. The older women broke apart in an instant, immediately blushing bright red. “Ahem. So, SinB, did you think about the offer? What do you say?” Miss Kim switched back to her teacher mode so fast that if the girls hadn’t seen their teacher up close and personal with her friend they would never have known it’d happened. Despite Taeyeon’s personality switch to professionalism, there was still an awkward air in the corridor that even the conversation couldn’t dismantle it.

“Umm… yes… yeah I did. Thank you so so much for your offer Miss Tiffany, I’d be delighted to take you up on it” the older woman’s eyes lit up at SinB’s agreement and she smiled smugly at Miss Taeyeon. “So… umm… I wanted to ask, like… what the process would be to signing on to an internship programme. Is there a contract I would have to sign, like I would for a job? Is there some kind of third party I need to go through to authorise this? Do I need to go for an interview with your boss? How does this work?” Tiffany smiled warmly at the girl’s questions.

“I like your enthusiasm. It’s a fairly straightforward process to be honest with you, seeing as I am the boss. No interview required because I have already seen what you can do and can see your potential. No third parties involved because my station would be the one organising the internship. Yes there will be a contractual agreement you need to sign, but we can sort that out on your first day, along with induction stuff. I’d also need you to sign licensing agreements for me to have the rights to play your music and for you to get payed every time I play your song, you too Miss Choi as I’ve been informed it’s your vocals on the track. And that’s about it really. If you leave me with either a phone number or an email address I can sort out dates and times with you at a later stage” she pulls a small notebook and pen out of her jacket pocket, handing both to SinB who eagerly prints her details onto the last page. She then returns the notebook to the woman and reaches for Yuju’s hand. “Right, that’s everything I need from you for now, I’ll be in touch in the next couple of days, so be sure to keep your eyes and ears open. Go enjoy the rest of your evening. Go for dinner together, or to watch a movie, or hang out in the park. Whatever it is you youngsters get up to nowadays.”

“Thank you Miss Tiffany, we will” both girls bowed to the teacher and the DJ “Thank you for everything” as they turned to make their leave, they were called back

“Before you go, I’ll leave you both with one of these” she reached into her pocket and produced two business cards with her contact details on, handing one to each of the girls with a smile “If you think of any further questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch” she smiled warmly at them before reaching for her friend’s hand. “Now go enjoy yourselves.” She waved them off.

 

The two young girls thanked the two women again before taking their leave and walking out of the school property hand in hand.

 

Author's note: Hi. I'm really sorry that this took more than 2 months to update. Two whole months! Life's been kinda hectic for me since chapter 10 went up. If you're still here, and you're still reading this I'm so glad to have you.

Little insight to what took this so long: the most ironic thing happened literally a couple days after I published chapter 10 and that was that some girl who I had kinda been crushing on told me she liked me but we agreed mutually not to officially not to label any kind of relationship (kinda like I did for SinB and Yuju) because the situation was messy and complicated. Another reason this took so long was because I decided to move 200 miles away from home, and as you can imagine that took a lot of time, energy and getting used to. 

Anyway, things are all fine on my end. You have my deepest, sincerest apologies for making you wait so long. I hope you've all been okay in my absence? I've been working hard on this chapter, particularly for the last three weeks. What do you think of it? Let me know down below. If you have any opinion on this, don't be shy I appreciate knowing how my writing is being met by an audience. I personally think the end is a bit crap, what do you think? Let me know.

Stay cool, and stay happy and healthy. Until next time :) xo