Back to Work

My Inspiration
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As usual, even though classes were over for the day, I had a group of students come up to me and ask me to critique their dance. Except, it wasn't a group this time. It was a pair of girls, who always performed well in class, and were best friends. As much as I wanted to go home and let Yeri have some time with Mina, so I could have her all to myself while the kid slept, I had to see what these girls had prepared. Their names were Bora and Yoobin, and they were two of a group of seven girls that worshipped the ground that the Kpop group "Dreamcatcher" walked on. I saw the Insomnias cover Dreamcatcher's songs before, but they were always all together. 

"It's a cover that SuA and Dami did of Havana. SuA made the choreography for it, so we tried learning it, but...the video isn't always clear." Bora rubbed her arm nervously. "We were wondering if you could watch us and make sure we're doing things right, and maybe...maybe you could help decipher the video?" 

"Of course! I could probably get SuA to send me a dance practice version without all the fancy camerawork, too." I shrugged. "Oh, where are your other five?" 

"It's a cover that SuA and Dami did as a pair, so..." Bora shrugged.

"And Minji mentioned that she and Handong might cover it, too. We could edit it and play with camera angles." Dami added.

"Minji didn't tell me!" Bora whined. "Did she know that we were staying after today?" 

"I don't know." Dami shrugged. "Should I text her?"

"It'll be fine, girls. I'll send the practice video to all four of you, and you can share it amongst the whole group if you want to." I calmed them down easily enough, and they were absolutely b with excitement. 

"Okay, so, should we go for it?" Bora asked, visibly anxious. 

"If you're warmed up, yeah. If you wanna do a couple of practice rounds, then you can. I won't look during your practice rounds. In fact, I'll learn the dance myself while you two practice." I grinned and jogged over to the speaker. "What should I search for?"

"If you type in 'Dreamcatcher Havana' it should be the first result." Bora advised while Yoobin stretched. I did as she said, and clicked on the video. It was right, I think, since the two girls ran into position. The reflex to scramble into formation was adorable to me. I lazily followed SuA's part, while Mina internalized Dami's part. As soon as the chair moves came in to play, I bolted and grabbed a chair from the side of the room and put it down right behind them. After they yelled a "thanks, unnie!" to me, I went back to following SuA's part, starting to understand the moves. I could tell why they had trouble understanding the entire dance, since the camera tended to focus on the dancers' faces, and not as much on the choreography. I'd definitely have SuA and Dami send me a video. I had choreographed some songs for Dreamcatcher, and SuA, Dami, JiU, and I became close as I taught the moves to them. Siyeon was also a pleasure to teach; she and JiU's endless energy always managed to keep everyone's spirits up. After a few runs of the dance, Bora and Yoobin were ready to show me what they had gotten done so far. 

"Go for it, girls. Don't be nervous, and have fun." I clapped my hands together, and turned the music on. It felt great to have Mina at my side again. I watched Bora, and she watched Yoobin. We could work with them together, and split our time between them easily. It was also just...nice to see Mina standing next to me in the mirror. It was nice to feel her arm draped around my waist again, and it felt wonderful to breathe in her perfume. Embarrassingly enough, I got so lost in my thoughts of Mina that I barely watched Bora. When they finished, they looked to me, waiting for a critique. "One more time. There are a few things I'm not totally sure of." I lied. Mina pinched my side, knowing that I was staring at her in the mirror instead of focusing on my students. They nodded and ran through the choreography again, and I actually managed to focus on Bora this time. She was doing quite well, and I really didn't have much to critique. She was a little awkward around the sensual moves, and she had a little trouble with getting onto the ground to slide between Yoobin's legs. They looked at me again for critique, and this time I could deliver. "Bora, you seem a little awkward around sensual stuff, and you don't seem to feel comfortable on the ground. Other than that, you did quite good. I really don't have a whole lot to say." 

"Yes!" She jumped. 

"Yoobin, you're having some similar problems, but I think you're just a little stiff. Nothing a little bit of time with a mirror couldn't fix." Mina grinned and patted the younger girl's back. 

"I know you guys probably wanna go home and be girlfriends, so it's fine if you don't have time, but-" Bora started, but I cut her off. My students were like my children, even if the was miniscule. I always had time for them.

"I have time." I put my hand on Bora's shoulder. 

"I certainly don't mind." Mina smiled gently. 

"Thank you so much!" They hugged us, then we worked with them individually. Mina took Yoobin to the room next door, while Bora and I worked in the room we were in. We spent about thirty minutes picking through body rolls, the transition into the downward dog position, and the slide between Yoobin's legs. I'm sure Mina and Yoobin were working just as hard, as we heard the song playing over and over again at different speeds. No doubt, Mina was working with Yoobin on flexibility and fluidity. She was always better at more powerful dances, and had a little difficulty with fluid and feminine movements. Bora did well, very well, and easily picked up on the advice I gave her. Soon enough, Mina and Yoobin came into the room again, and the girls were ready to run the dance. They ran through the choreography, which was very much improved from the tutoring Mina and I gave them. We congratulated them on their hard work, reminded them to keep working on what they needed to; Bora needed to forget about her self-consciousness, and Yoobin needed to be more relaxed and fluid. After the two girls left, Mina and I were left to pack up our stuff. 

"Nothing like getting back to work, right?" I chuckled; she embraced me in a tight hug. "What's wrong?" I asked, worried that something happened while she was overseas, and that she lost her confidence because of it. Or maybe something happened during the day today; Yoobin wouldn't say anything rude, I'm sure of it. All of my students love Mina.

"I just missed this." She sighed happily. I breathed out a sigh of relief, and nuzzled my face into her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter