The Perfect Donor

THE EYE

Flashes of red lights can be seen in one of the street in Seoul as a car speed over all cars in the highway. The group in the car was in a hurry as siren keeps ringing in the air. They we’re radioed that an accident happens in one of the lone street that early morning. When they arrive in the scene the local police already cordon the area. Nothing is amidst in the area except for a pool of blood in one part of the road and body of a young man whose neck and arms are twisted lying in that pool of blood. It’s not a pleasant sight to see especially after waking up that early morning and you’ll definitely lost your appetite for the rest of the day not to mention how scary that scene is. Only one of the local newspapers reported the event. The body is brought into one of the old hospital and so far no relative visited the body.

 

Junghyun is in a hurry going so far as passing the speed limit in the highway luckily no patrol spotted him so far. As his getting nearer to his destination his nerve finally calm down as well as his car speed though the excitement of delivering the news to his beloved friend never subside. He arrive in the hospital just after lunch hour and went directly to his friend’s doctor’s office were the CEO of Woolim and one of the manager can be seen anxiously waiting. The group has lots of discussion, results are shared and papers are pass around. The group finally come to an agreement and went directly to the patient room to deliver the great news.

 

Sunggyu is sitting in his bed while listening to the drama on the TV since he has nothing else to do aside for his daily check up. A knock disturb his routine and the people outside didn’t wait for his permission as they enter the place which surprise Sunggyu since he never expected this many guest which include his CEO.

 

“Gyu, the doctor has a good news for you,” said Junghyun as he immediately went to gyu’s left side and hold his hand. Even though he can’t see them he can feel and hear the excitement in their greetings.

 

“Kim Sunggyu your one lucky person, it’s not even a week since I told you the good news of a cornea transplant and we already have a donor courtesy of your friend here, Mr. Yong,” the doctor announce.

 

A gasp is the first reaction Sunggyu made then followed by a trembling hand, “Jung…..you’re not planning of giving me your eyes right?... I can’t…”, tears already accumulated in gyu’s eyes.

 

“Silly gyugyu, of course I’m not, my eyes is as much important to me as my voice,” Junghyun just pinch gyu’s nose for his silly assumption and Sunggyu just whine while he utter “Sorry.”

 

“Hahaha sorry, my bad. Let me rephrase it, your friend Mr. Yong found you a donor.”

 

Tears now cascade in gyu’s cheek and his hand continue to shake.

 

“Gyu what’s wrong?,” it is now his CEO turn to hold gyu’s trembling hand.

 

“I….*sobs*….my prayers are heard… Hyung *sobs* please tell me this is not a dream?... *sobs*”

 

“No gyu, this is real. You finally got the chance to see again,” the CEO assured with a squeeze of his hand.

 

“I don’t wannabe the damper of this great news. But having a donor is one thing, we still have the transplant but I assure you we have the best group here in Seoul and lastly if your body will fully accept your eyes. There is no 100% assurance that you’ll be able to see Mr. Kim but will do our best to help you and you need to be strong and prepared for all possible outcome,” the doctor intervene their cry of happiness and excitement.

 

“It’s ok doc, I’m already blind as it is, what else could go wrong?”, gyu’s hope is high now and will never falter. At last he can see a light of hope in his dark world even if how dim it will be he will grab it. He’ll do anything to have his sight back. Although he love his eyeballs and will dearly miss it but It’s dead and badly needed to be replace to have his life back so be it.

 

The news spread faster than anticipated. The hospital is crowded that evening and the following days as families, members, relatives, dear friends and colleagues visits to say their congrats, thank God and goodluck. Fellow patients and hospital staffs visit too. Kwang-su, gyu’s hospital buddy, visit too although that kid only visit when no one is around. The anticipated day finally arrive. The members are not around since they have a show to film except for Nam Woohyun who whine nonstop and make threats so that he will be allowed to stay. He even went so far as naming their CEO as a “cruel CEO who has nothing but ice as his heart” which the CEO replies “that even if he wanted to he can’t since it’s already been plan since a month ago and the show is already anticipating their appearance and it will be bad in their part to cancel it and they have to be professional about it and act like an adult should be and not like a child that Woohyun is currently acting”. The dispute is finally solved with Woohyun as the only one who stay and the rest of the members appear in the show. Unfortunately for him Heechul and Junghyun is also around and Junghyun is boosting to Woohyun that his the one who found the donor for gyu and despite how happy he is for the donor, namu’s eye’s twitch none stop. Oh, how he wish it was Junghyun’s eyes that was donated but then again he doesn’t want any part of Junghyun’s horrible body getting near his gyu. Guess luck is on his side since the two can’t stay longer due to previous obligations so as much as they want to their visit is cut-short.

 

“Hyung, are you scared?” Woohyun asked after seeing his friend troubled expression. He and gyu are the only one in the room as the rest of the staff is busy preparing for the surgery while the CEO and gyu’s omma and appa are busy with the hospital paper works and the managers went to buy lunch. Gyu’s sister is out of the country and can only return tomorrow.

 

“Yes, hyunnie. I’m scared what if something will go wrong?”, tears can be seen in gyu’s eyes and his heart constrict.

 

“Hyung, don’t think about stuff like that. Have faith in you and the doctors. Where’s the hyung that’s always positive ha?!,” assure Woohyun.

 

“Your right, hyunnie. This is a big chance for me to see again. I should be prepared and be strong for me and the people who love me.”

 

“Yes hyung, we love you. I love you!”, exclaim namu.

 

Sunggyu heart beat fast this time not because of the surgery but because of his dongsaeng’s word. Oh how he wish it meant more and not just a friend’s love. Yes, Sunggyu love Woohyun more than a friend or a colleague and his harboring that unrequited love according to him since debut days. The blinding smile of Namu as he calls it is the first thing that caught our hamster eyes. Oh! That smile is definitely the first thing he wanted to see when his sight is restored. Before his heart will explode from his dongsaeng’s word and proximity; the CEO, gyu’s parents and the managers arrives in successions. Not even an hour after their lunch the hospital staff arrives to wheel Sunggyu to the operating room.

 

“Hyung, fighting!! I’ll be here waiting for you,” Woohyun assure.

 

“Gyu, my baby! Your omma and appa will always be here for you. Fighting my son, We love you!”, Gyu’s omma said while tears cascade on her face while gyu’s appa can only hug his wife and squeeze gyu’s hand while saying, “Love you son!”

 

“Sunggyu, We’ll pray for you so be strong, okay?”, Hyoan said then Jungyeop add, ”We have high hope for this gyu so have faith.” The three stays at the waiting area and just outside the door of the operating room Geonam said his “goodluck and I’ll also pray for you”.