Of Late-Nights and Explanations (pt.1)

The Wu Brothers (and Junmyeon)

WARNING

Mentions of PTSD like symptoms


Junmyeon had never entirely witnessed any of Sehun’s nightmares and Yifan wanted to keep it that way.

Sehun never was left over at the smaller male’s home overnight. Yifan always made sure to pick him up before Sehun was able to fall into a deep slumber. Reason being, he didn’t know how to explain these terrors to Junmyeon and they were unpredictable. Explaining would lead to talking about their past and how they came to live in Korea and he wasn’t ready to reopen those wounds just yet. Adding onto that, they happened whenever they felt like happening with no way of them being scheduled. For now, he’ll just worry about getting back to the apartments on time.

He really didn’t know how he got so caught up in a stupid report when his baby brother is most likely worried sick about him. Yifan glances at the time on the dashboard and lets out a string of curses. Sehun usually starts feeling sleepy around 7pm.

Its 6:55pm.

Yifan suddenly doesn’t know the laws of the road.

“And they lived happily every after.” Junmyeon finished with a soft smile upon his lips.

Sehun had started to nod off so instead of keeping him awake and messing up his sleeping patterns (he’ll mess it up himself once his teens hit), Junmyeon took it upon himself to give up his bed to the child. It wasn’t like Yifan wasn’t on his way here and he most likely just got caught up with work but Junmyeon was still prepared to tell him off. Sehun had been waiting for him for a while and seeing the child sadly fall asleep still waiting for his guardian upset Junmyeon greatly. The older man could have at least let him know he would be late but the smaller’s phone was dry with absolutely no messages nor calls.

Looking over at the child, Junmyeon placed a kiss on his temple before quietly walking out of the room, turning the light off and leaving the door cracked just a little. He was planning on setting up shop in living room as he waited; maybe get in a few words for the next article.

Beating traffic was like hell but Yifan did it.

Running through the halls of the apartment complex just to make it to Junmyeon’s door at exactly 7:15pm, he hoped that Sehun was at least nodding off right about not. The taller stood there for a moment, trying to catch his breath, before he gave the door a few knocks.

What he expected to see was Junmyeon greeting him with a smile with Sehun sitting on the couch waiting but what he got was the complete opposite. Immediately he was greeted with an angry looking Junmyeon and no Sehun.

Nervously he tried to collect his thoughts under the heated gaze, “Uh um w-where is Sehun?”

“Sleep. After waiting for you.” Junmyeon retorted ignoring the slowly devouring look of fear on Yifan’s face. “You’re over an hour late, hyung. Do you know how irresponsible that is? You didnt even call me to –”

“Look, Myeonie,” Junmyeon tried so hard to force down the blush at the nickname, “I’m really sorry but can you please let me in? Sehun-ah needs to –”

“Yes,” Junmyeon interrupted him with a sigh, “I know he needs to sleep but he is.” Walking out of the way, he led Yifan to his room, “I let him nap in he – ”

A chocked sob broke them from their thoughts. Junmyeon froze on the spot, dread and fear instantly taking over while Yifan dashed in the direction of the noise. Once collected, Junmyeon made his way to the room only to be greeted with Yifan cradling Sehun as if he was a newborn child; delicate and fragile. He could hear words in a language not of his own being whispered to the boy who was now left whimpering and shivering as if cold.

There was nothing he could do was watch as the two brothers held each other until the later was coaxed back to sleep. With a sigh, Yifan gathered the boy in his arms with the same amount of care he had when he held him; cradling him in his arms as he hummed a tune that sounded a lot like a Chinese lullaby he heard once.

Junmyeon swallowed down a jumble of emotions in his throat as he made eye contact with Yifan, “I-I’ll walk you out.”

And he did. Not expecting an explanation until both brothers were ready.