After a while 한참 지나서

That I Was Once By Your Side 내가 너의 곁에 잠시 살았다는 걸 [Oneshot][Completed]

Kyunghoon, I want you to return all the gifts I have given you.

Can we meet?

-Heechul

 

With a start, Heechul realizes what an idiot he is sending that text. Deep in his heart, he knows that he isn’t pulling through with this because he wants the gifts back. This is the slight chance he has left to try to get Kyunghoon to meet him. He continuously tells himself that this isn’t necessary and he is just being a loser but the thought of Kyunghoon being with someone else doesn’t sit well with him.

 

It was his entire fault that they ended their relationship but he cannot let Kyunghoon go. Not when he realized how compatible they are and that he will probably not find someone else like Kyunghoon.

 

With a twist of pain in his chest, he lets out a heavy breath he didn’t know he was holding. What if Kyunghoon threw everything he has given him away? Then there is no more excuse to meet each other. He wants to cling into the thought that Kyunghoon wouldn’t do something like that but he was such an to the younger that he would not be surprised if Kyunghoon did trash everything.

 

Suddenly his phone vibrates and his heart beats rapidly as he opens the text message.

 

I didn’t think you’re that type of person. I keep being wrong about you.

When and where do you want to meet?

-Kyunghoon

 

I can go to your house or you can come to my dorm. All the members went home…

-Heechul

 

I’ll bring everything to your dorm tonight then.

-Kyunghoon

 

Okay ^^ be careful on your way.

-Heechul

 

Heechul doesn’t expect to see another text from Kyunghoon and he is right. Kyunghoon does seem very upset but a part of him feels happy that Kyunghoon didn’t discard all the gifts from him. Does that mean Kyunghoon still has feelings for him? It’s a ridiculous thought considering Kyunghoon has a new boyfriend right now and he’s being this pathetic but love really makes people do crazy things.

 

--

 

When the doorbell rings, Heechul rushes to it and opens the door. He faces Kyunghoon with a huge box in his hand as he pushes it to Heechul’s chest. As Kyunghoon turns to leave, Heechul drops the box on the floor. He settles for an alternative as he holds Kyunghoon’s wrist, not letting the other go. He pulls Kyunghoon into the dorm as he shuts the door.

 

Kyunghoon’s eyes that is always filled with kindness for him has turn into darkness and despair. “What are you doing? I returned all the stuff you have given me from the last 2 years. Let go of my wrist.” Kyunghoon’s piercing eyes makes Heechul nervous for once, he has never seen Kyunghoon so angry before. Kyunghoon is always really calm and the brothers all mentioned how easy it is to because he doesn’t get mad, this is the first Heechul has seem him so agitated.

 

It feels like a new experience and Heechul fear changes. “Why are you so angry? I just wanted to see your face.”

 

Kyunghoon being angry would be an understatement. His eyes were upset but there’s also a hint of sadness in them. Kyunghoon is never good at acting and he’s often teased for it, and this time his feelings were very easy to read. “See my face for what? To ask for everything you gifted me back? It’s so cheap of you and I should’ve thrown it away when you left me for someone else.”

 

“You think I did this because I wanted the stuff back? If anything I would want you to cherish them forever but I only resulted to this because it was the only thing I could’ve done to see you again. I knew you would never meet up with me so this is my last resort. I really miss you Min Kyunghoon and I wanted to see your face so much. God you have no idea how much I miss you. Your face and your whole presence is all I think about and so this is the only option I could come up with to see you again.”

 

However, Kyunghoon’s expression doesn’t change, he shakes off any lingering feelings and pulls his wrist from Heechul’s hold. “I have a boyfriend so please stop this. You didn’t think about me once when you were with Sohee and now you’re suddenly spurting all this nonsense just because the two of you broke up. I am not a rebound. I waited for you to change your mind but you were so cold, I thought of everything wrong about me for you to just leave me like that without turning back.”

 

“I know Kyunghoon! I was wrong and I am so sorry for everything.”

 

Kyunghoon shakes his head and clutches his chest. “You were bored of me, you’re only thinking about me now because you and Sohee broke up. I made you unhappy and tired and that’s why you ended it with me, you said so yourself that you have zero feelings left for me and made me stop showing up in front of you.”

 

Tears gathers in Heechul’s eyes as he looks at Kyunghoon. So this is how Kyunghoon felt before and he was too busy thinking about himself to notice it. “I was very stupid Kyunghoon but I really really love you. You are my longest relationship and that’s because I was truly in love with you.”

 

Kyunghoon bites his lips and his throat feels like sandpaper. It takes him every ounce of willpower not to just fall back into Heechul’s arms. “You don’t love me hyung because if you did, you would have never left me for someone else. It’s getting dark, I should go home.”

 

“Let me drive you.” Heechul offers and before Kyunghoon could reject, Heechul pulls him into the car. They sit together and Kyunghoon wraps himself with his hoodie, pulling the hood over his head and looking out the window.

 

Kyunghoon’s house is an hour away but right now Heechul wish it were even further just to spend more time with the other. By the time the sun has been gone from the sky a while, the darkness feels a bit more romantic. “Hoonie, do you see the moon? It’s a crescent moon too, your favorite.”

 

Kyunghoon looks up to the sky and admires the beauty of it. For some reason the night sky is so beautiful tonight. He doesn’t say a word but Heechul knows that Kyunghoon is falling in love with the beautiful sky. Instead of taking Kyunghoon home, Heechul wants to take him to see a nice scenery.

 

The road going to a higher ground makes Kyunghoon confuse as he turns to Heechul. “I thought you were taking me home. Where are we going?”

 

“You told me you love to look at the night sky because it calms you down. I want to watch the sky together.”

 

“I should be going home. Please just drive me home.”

 

It hurts to hear Kyunghoon say those words but Heechul continues driving. Sighing, he says in a whisper, “Hoonie, just let me spend a little more time with you. I’m sure after this you wouldn’t want me to bother you anymore and I have no more excuse to meet up with you.”

 

Kyunghoon looks reluctant and doesn’t reply.

 

When they get to the destination on top of a hill, Heechul stops the car. He unbuckles his seatbelt and grabs Kyunghoon’s hands, startling the other. “For goodness sake, I cannot do this anymore Kyunghoon. I feel an intense desire to be with you and protect you at all costs and I know I ed up my chances but I am selfish and I don’t want to lose my opportunity to be with the best person.”

 

It was quick but the ambition is growing out of control. He moves towards the passenger seat and holds Kyunghoon’s face in his hands. He locks lips with the younger like they used to kiss but this kiss feels a lot different- Heechul misses this feeling. The opposed Kyunghoon tries to make an effort to push Heechul away, but the other doesn’t budge. The kiss gets more intense and before Kyunghoon realize it, he kisses Heechul back.

 

Kissing Kyunghoon is a lot different than kissing Sohee because kissing Kyunghoon signals some unspoken boundary that has been crossed and brings his heart to beat more rapidly.

 

Heechul doesn’t stop until Kyunghoon really pushes him off. He catches his breath and Heechul could see the seething annoyance on Kyunghoon’s face. “I-I shouldn’t have kissed you back. I have a boyfriend.” Kyunghoon bites his lip in worry.

 

“From the way you kissed me back, I know you still love me Hoonie. Why do you keep denying it?”
 

“Because I don’t want to set myself up to get hurt again. I left everything behind because of you. I’m tired and I worry that it will be a repetition. I don’t want to give my heart to someone that I know might step all over me again. I was so hurt and I lost my members and everyone around me, then I come to you and find out you were so happy with someone else and don’t want to see me. I felt like a burden and now I found someone that truly loves me.”

 

“I was such a jerk but Kyunghoon do you truly love him? Do you want me to kneel down and beg for you to come back because I will…”

 

Heechul is stubborn and the both of them know it well. Kyunghoon’s eyes flickers back and forth between Heechul and the leather seat of the car, for once in his life, he needs to have a backbone as he sigh to himself. “Let me think about it.”

 

--

 

Heechul isn’t sure how long Kyunghoon needs to think because he’s dying with every seconds passing. He even contacted the Buzz members to explain it was his fault Kyunghoon quit everything and got lectured by them.

 

He is stupid and he gets it, he’s been told countless times from his own members as well. He didn’t think a mere relationship with someone he used to have feelings for would be this bad. At least a lesson he got from this is that he has completely gotten over Sohee.

 

During the third week of filming Knowing Brother, he enters as late as usual but once he reaches his waiting room, he hears laughing in Soogeun’s room. Deciding to be nosy about what all the commotion is about, he enters the waiting room to see all the members standing there in a circle, surrounding someone he treasures so much.

 

“Heechul, Kyunghoon is back!” Sangmin screams excitedly, for someone who keeps his emotion to himself, Heechul hasn’t seen him this excited before. Sangmin’s expression is like him finally paying off all his debts.

 

Kyunghoon looks up at Heechul and gives him a soft smile. Heechul walks closer to him and he places a gentle hand on Kyunghoon’s face to make sure he isn’t dreaming.

 

“Hyung, are you okay?” The soft voice has been no more than a whisper, but the sound reaches his ears like a drum and tears away his thoughts.

 

Before Kyunghoon could say anymore, Heechul pulls him in for a hug. “Kyunghoonie, you are really back.” His voice cracks at the end and he tries his best to hold in his tears.

 

Soogeun motions everyone to leave the room to let the two talk in peace. They probably have a lot of catching up to do.

 

Once everyone is gone, Kyunghoon tries to break a smile. “Hyung why are you crying?”

 

“Why wouldn’t I cry? I thought I wouldn’t see your face again because you would avoid me for the rest of your life.”

 

“I did think about avoiding you for good but in the end I decided I didn’t want to run from my problems any longer. I will start the show again and I hope we will move slower…start as being friends again.”

 

Even though Heechul would rather have Kyunghoon back as his boyfriend, that would also be moving too fast considering how much he hurt the younger. It didn’t take a long time to agree with such decision because the last thing he wanted was for Kyunghoon to feel awkward and leave again.

 

Still there is this lingering question in the back of his mind that he is afraid to ask, but with his blunt personality, he decided to just go for it. “Hoonie, are you still with that guy?”

 

It did catch Kyunghoon off guard but he sigh and slumps his shoulder. The sight of Heechul isn’t a pleasant one but one of absolute fear regarding his answer. “Taewoo hyung let me end the relationship because he wants me to be happy, doing what I was doing before. H-He also said he will keep an eye on you, and will stalk you like a sasaeng fan if you hurt me.”

 

A feeling of pleasure washes over Heechul’s face and he smiles brightly. “I am fine with being friends until you are comfortable with me again. If I hurt you, Taewoo can chop me up to pieces.”

 

“Hyung, don’t say things like that.” Kyunghoon suddenly pouts and Heechul pinches his cheeks. Kyunghoon’s natural aegyo is his weakness.

 

Before Kyunghoon could say another word, there is a knock on the door with Hodong screaming. “We have to shoot soon. You two can do whatever you want after we finish filming. We have to clear up a lot of mess because of Ssamja.”

 

Kyunghoon giggles and screams out, “Hodong you are one of the top MCs. You should clear up my mess like you did with your tax evasion.”

 

Hodong bursts in the door but before he could grab Kyunghoon, Heechul steps in between them. “Hyungg not now. Leave Kyunghoon alone.”

 

Hodong makes a motion that he will see Kyunghoon later and Kyunghoon sticks his tongue out.

 

“Before, I did really miss Kyunghoon when he wasn’t here. But now I feel like you two will torment me even more.” Hodong walks out of the room and Kyunghoon and Heechul laughs. They follow the eldest hyung and both couldn’t stop looking at each other. There was a strange sensation in the both of them as they were somehow always meant to connect with each other, that no matter what problems are thrown at them, they always find a way back to each other.

 

“I missed you a lot.” Heechul says before they enter the filming room. The confession hangs between him, thick and heavy. There’s still a doubt in his mind that Kyunghoon would want him back but Kyunghoon’s expression begs a differ.

 

Kyunghoon smiles, “I missed you too hyung.”

 

In just a matter of seconds, the warmth camaraderie between them and Heechul throws all his doubts away. They will definitely make it work again.

 

-The End-

 

--

 

A/N: Thank you everyone for supporting me on this story that took me forever to finish TT (this is why I stick to one shots.) I hope you enjoy it and also always support Heehoon/Kyungchul couple <3