Chapter 3 - Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

One More Night

Youngjae thought about it that night.

 Who was it?

Youngjae had been talking about Jinyoung, the entire time.

He had almost wanted him to notice.

Wanted him to realize, to apologize, to hug it out.

But they had danced around it, both playing this game of cat and mouse to see who would take the bait and spill.

Niether had.

He had cried at first, yes, but then a realization struck his heart.

Jinyoung may be in love with somebody, but he did not know who. They were without a face and without a name.

So who?

It was not likely to be him, he knew.

But the words matched up, would work.

He tried to avoid reflecting on it too much.

But that night he was restless, tossing and turning.

Tommorow would be Monday, where there was work.

He could take off work, but he needed the money and it would be useless, because he would be at work.

This was not a movie where he can show up at someone’s work and be let in to see them.

Youngjae would have to wait.

Unfortunately, that was not his forte.

Eventually, he drifted off into a confused and dazed sleep, coming in and out of consciousness at random times.

When it was time to wake, he sprung out of bed, not fully rested but eager to escape the hellspace of his thoughts.

He got dressed, trying to seem as kept as possible, not to show any stress on his face.

Work went without any hiccups, just his increasing nervousness and doubt as the day went by.

What would happen if he got rejected?

He was starting to think about backing out, until someone made it impossible to.

He was stepping outside, getting ready to walk the few blocks to the apartment to talk with Jinyoung, when he spotted the familiar figure standing on the side of the road.

Youngjae didn’t stopt to think. He just ran.

He shouldn’t have attracted attention to himself. 

Jaebum noticed him with a jolt, head jerking towards him, gaze locked on his now-prey.

Meanwhile, Youngjae was panicking.

He had bolted in the opposite direction of his apartment and Jinyoung’s.

He didn’t stop, darting through the next alley onto a new street.

This one was less crowded, but he still had to dodge around people while mutteringg “Excuse me” constantly.

Jaebum came shortly after, plowing through everyone in his path with a determined glare

Youngjae kept on weaving between streets, hoping to lose him or tire him out.

But Youngjae was getting much more tired than he.

So with a regret filled glare back at Jaebum, he fished the keys out of his pocket.

Once again, he would have to interrupt Jinyoung on a hurried and frenzied note.

But while he was scrambling to open the door to the building, Jaebum caught up to him.

The hands reaching for him, one for his neck and one for his arms, breath on his back, suddenly rejestered in his head.

He grabbed Jaebum’s hand on his arm and wrenched it to the side.

”Leave me alone, you creep. I’ve already found someone, and he’s not you.” he snarled.

He ducked and spun to disloadge the hand on his neck, and ran through to door and to the stairs, leaving Jaebum behind, shocked.

Honestly, Youngjae was shocked as well.

Those words had come fromt the depths of hell and out his mouth.

Maybe they weren’t terrible, but it was the boldest thing he had done to his ex yet.

He was hoping the next would trump it.

Using the momentary lull to get ahead, he sprinted up ahead and got into the apartment by the times he could hear his footsteps on the stairs.

He stopped to take a breather and went to grab a glass of water.

Jinyoung was home; the lights were on.

After letting himself rest, he moved on to the rest of the house, finding Jinyoung reading in his bed and occasionally writing down notes.

”Jinyoung,” he whispered.

Jinyoung didn’t startle, he just looked up readily.

”Jaebum again?” He asked.

”Well.. that too, but I needed to talk to you.”

He went to go position himself on the bed. 

Jinyoung placed the book on the table after makimg sure to insert the bookmark, before folding his hands and diresting his gaze towards Youngjae.

Youngjae hesitated before speaking, knowing that once he opened his mouth, he wouldn’t be able to stop talking.

But this needed to be said.

So he said it.

”Jinyoung.... yesterday. Well, I thought about it a lot. Who was it you were talkimg about? What was it that they supported you in?”

He paused and took a breath.

”You never said a name, and neither did I. That’s what bothered me. Are we really so scared of each other now that we can’t talk? And it didn’t give is closure, either. It was like typing a knot, but not making it tight, so it just unravels and you rhave to revisit it and fix it. Maybe there were misunderstandings. Maybe there weren’t. But I know last night, that I foolishly got my hopes up. That is why I’m here. On a foolish hope that you can shatter in a few seconds. But I needed finalization. And I think you did too.”

Here he paused again. He could back out now, still.

His unsaid words hung in the air, and the knot in his throat tightened.

Jinyoung was sitting up straight now, watching him.

“It was you.”

Youngjae kept looking down at the bed. He couldn’t bare to see Jinyoung’s face right now.

”The other day, the person I was talking about? It was you. It’s been you and I think Jaebum, ironically, made me realize. He made me realize that there’s better out there and to never give up. I owe that to him, at least.”

Finally, he looked up.

Jinyoung was staring at him hard, clenching and unclenching his jaw. 

“Youngjae.”

He nodded tersely, on edge.

Jinyoung gripped his hands in his own and leaned forward.

”It is you, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.”

And their lips met.

—————

I DID IT

Y’ALL THOUGHT I COULDN’T

I DID

ONE MORE TO GO WHOOP

also im being into anoTHER fandom help mEEE

okay that’s all I have SEE YA TOMORROW KIDS

-WingedWarrior