chapter 7

Family Vacation

 

6 months later

 

Yoobi waited impatiently for her father to arrive, though it was late and Minho suggested she’ll stay at home, she insisted on coming to the airport along with him.

When the gates opened and she saw Taemin walking toward them she let go of Minho’s hand and ran at him.

“Appa!!!” she called, huge smile on her lips.

Taemin kneeled and stretched his arms to catch her in his hug, he wrapped himself around her and buried his head at the crook of her neck “my sweet girl” he mumbled as he raised her, tears of joy sprang in his eyes, he was home now, with his family.

Minho got closer, his heart fluttered in his chest excitedly, his eyes linked with Taemin’s, made him smile “Minnie…”

Taemin smiled back, he lowered Yoobi and threw himself at him, they hugged for a long moment before they separated and looked at each other through teary eyes, they longed to kiss each other but hadn’t, their daughter didn’t know anything about their long-distance relationship, yet.  

“I missed you” Minho mumbled as he slowly let go.

“I missed you too” he said before he looked down at Yoobi who shared her gaze between them “to both of you”

Satisfied smile crossed Yoobi’s lips “we missed you too, appa”

“You must be hungry and tired” Minho said as he reached his hand to hold on Taemin’s suitcase “let’s go home”

Taemin nodded, he reached his hand to hold on Yoobi’s and they all walked out of the airport slowly.

“Appa, are you staying with us until you’ll find an apartment?” Yoobi asked unsure as they got into the car, she hoped no longer they’ll be back together, they made it clear when they came back from DisneyLand, that night she cried herself to sleep and decided she won’t think about it ever again, it was too disappointing.

Taemin glanced at Minho before he nodded “yes, sweetie”

“Would you live close to our house?”

“I don’t know yet”

“Don’t you want to ask appa how was his flight?” Minho asked their daughter as a distraction, he wanted that kind of a conversation to be at home, where both he and Taemin could give their full attention and see her reaction to their news.

Yoobi giggled “oh, yeah, how was your flight appa?”

“Well, thank you for asking” Taemin said playfully, understanding his ex-husband meaning even without him saying it clearly. He talked about his flight through the short ride, by the time they arrived Yoobi already forgot about her curious questions.

At home, Minho took care of Taemin’s suitcase, he urged him to go into the shower while he unpacked his pajama and toiletries for him, he even arranged a late night dinner with Yoobi’s help, when Taemin got out of the shower, the table was full with his favorites.

Taking a seat by Minho’s side, Taemin smiled “it looks delicious!”

“Appa made it especially for you!” Yoobi said proudly.

Taemin chuckled “thank you, Minho appa”

“Eat before it would get cold”

Taemin nodded and took a bite into his mouth, it tasted like heaven, Minho was a great cooker.

“Do you like it?” Yoobi asked.

“Very much!”

Minho and Yoobi smile at each other satisfactorily before they took a bite as well.

“Yoobi” Taemin said as he placed his cutlery aside, he glanced at Minho who nodded, agreeing it was the right time “appa and I, we...have something we want to talk to you about”  

Frowning, Yoobi asked “what is it?”

“Appa and I, we thought about it a lot for the last 6 months and... we’re going back together”

Yoobi looked at them suspiciously but also full of hope “really?”

“Yes” Minho said and reached his hand to hold on Taemin’s.

“But…what about appa’s boyfriend?” she asked confused, unready to be too excited for the good news.

“Dave and I broke up”

“Do you have anything to say, are you ok with that?” Minho asked.

Tears sprang to Yoobi’s eyes, her breath became harsh “is it for real?”

“Yes” both said.

“And...and...are you going to live with us?”

Taemin nodded.

“We’re going to be a family again” she said with a hint of a smile.

“We have always been a family” Minho said “even when appa and I weren’t together”

Tears rolled down Yoobi’s cheeks, she couldn’t believe her dream finally came true, her fathers, together, again. Jumping off of her chair she threw herself at them, Minho raised her on his lap and they both hugged her tightly, Taemin wiped her tears and her face, he smiled at her as he asked “are you crying because you’re happy?”

Yoobi nodded and buried her head in Minho’s chest, he hugged her again and rocked her slowly, Taemin tapped a loudly kiss on her top and her hair.

“Are you going to get married again?”

“We hadn’t thought about it actually” Minho said glancing at his ex-husband.

“I- I guess we could make a little ceremony, if you’ll like” Taemin said.

Yoobi raised her head and shared her gaze between her fathers “that could be nice, I haven’t been at the first one”

Both Minho and Taemin chuckled “you hadn’t born”

“I know” she said with a teary smile “if you’ll do a ceremony, I’ll be the flowers girl”

They were laughing now “of course”

“Oh, I forgot” Taemin said “I brought you a lot of presents! It’s in my suitcase”

Yoobi’s tears dried right away, she jumped from Minho’s lap and rushed at Taemin’s suitcase, she dug through his clothes and pulled all of her presents while her fathers ate their dinner, she wasn’t hungry anymore.

 

~

 

Yoobi agreed to go to bed eventually, though she was too excited to fall asleep, she took all of her presents into bed with her, surrounded by clothes, jewelries, bags, shoes and many dolls she closed her eyes and greeted her fathers for a good night.

Finally alone in bed, Minho wrapped himself around the drowsy Taemin, he nuzzled his nose to his neck, made him chuckle quietly. Taemin had tried to keep his eyes open though he was too tired, he reached his hand and cupped Minho’s cheek before he planted a small kiss on his lips.

Minho smiled and mumbled lovingly “Minnie…”  

Taemin hummed while his eyes closed.

Chuckling, he tapped a kiss on his forehead “good night, Tae, welcome back home”