chapter 1

Family Vacation

Minho waited at the airport for Yoobi to arrive, he had to admit he was a little nervous though he hired an attendant to take care of her through the flight, it was the first time she was on a plane without him.

The gates opened and an 8 years old girl rushed out, followed by a small suitcase and a tired attendant.

“Appa!”

Minho smiled at his daughter and kneeled to her height, he stretched his arms to catch her in his hug when she threw herself at him “Yoobi!”

They hugged for a long moment before Minho got back on his feet and thanked the attendant, he bowed his head, urging Yoobi to do the same.

“Thank you, attendant Hwang” Yoobi said sweetly.

The attendant smiled and greeted back before she went on her way.

Making their way out of the airport, Minho rolled Yoobi’s suitcase toward his car “how was your flight?”

“It was too long”

“Did attendant Hwang took care of you well?”

Yoobi smiled “yeah, she’s funny”

Minho smiled, relieved “did you had fun with Taemin appa?”

Yoobi’s smile grew bigger “yeah!”

“What did you two did?”

“A lot of things” she said, gesturing with her little hands “we went to see the b-b-uck-ham”

“Buckingham palace?”

“Yes!” she giggled “it’s very different than the palace we have in Seoul, the guards wearing this big furry hat”

Minho smiled “what else did you do?”

“We went to see the Big Ben, and then appa took me on a cruise at the Thames river in a big boat, and we went to Madame Tussaud museum, I took a picture with Harry from one direction” she said proudly, ‘one direction’ was her first boy band crush “and then we went to Hyde park and I fed the squirrels, you should have seen that appa, one of them climbed up my leg! And then we met Dave for lunch, I ate fish and chips, it tasted good, and-”

“Who’s Dave?” Minho interrupted her story.

“Appa’s boyfriend” she said casually, he wasn’t important enough to talk about “and then appa took me for shopping and he bought me princess’ dress, and sparkling shoes, and he bought me this beautiful necklace” she said pointing at her neck “and we even went to- Appa! are you listening?”

Minho looked down at his daughter “of course” he said, though he had stopped listening after she said the word ‘boyfriend’. It’s been 3 years since he and Taemin divorced, it was stupid to believe a beautiful boy like his ex-husband would stay single forever, he himself had dated, but it was never too serious as ‘boyfriend’.

“Appa, can we go to McDonald’s?”

“Hmmm?”

“I’m hungry…”

“Oh, yeah sure, sweetie” Minho said and pulled his car keys from his pocket, they reached the car and he helped his daughter to fasten her seatbelt, he placed her suitcase in the trunk before he took the seat behind the wheel, his phone vibrated at the moment he did, a message from Taemin.

*Has she landed yet?*

*Yes* Minho typed shortly, somehow, knowing his ex-husband has a new relationship turned him cold.

*How was her flight?*

Impatient, Yoobi said “come’on appa, let’s go already...”

Fastening his own seatbelt, Minho tossed his phone aside on the seat next to him, he ignored Taemin’s message as he woke the engine to life and drove out of the airport.

 

~

 

Taemin stared at his phone for a long moment before he placed it aside, Minho hadn’t answered, so he tried to concentrate on his paperwork, however, he had been distracted by the doorbell. Getting up from his desk he reached the door and opened it, he was surprised to see Dave standing at the entrance.

“Please don’t tell me we set for dinner and I forgot”

Dave, average British guy, tall with blue eyes and a puppy face, they met at the hospital 6 months ago during his night shift, he came to the ER with a bleeding hand after he cut himself with a kitchen knife when he tried to cook, Taemin bandaged his hand and gave him an antibacterial injection while he flirted him, he asked him on a “date” and they went for a coffee at the hospital’s cafeteria. They been together since then, it wasn’t a passionate kind of relationship but a comfortable one, Taemin felt lonely ever since he came to London for his internship and Dave was a nice way to spend his time, they had few things in common and the was nice, they never really talked about love and he knew it won’t last forever.

“I was in the neighborhood, so I thought I should drop by for a kiss” Dave charmingly said as he invited himself in.

Not in a mood for visitors, Taemin chuckled unamused as he closed the door behind him.

“Busy?”

“I have a lot of paperwork to do”

“Can it wait for later?” Dave asked, he placed his hands on his waist and pulled him to his body suggestively.

“I have to work” Taemin said and freed himself.

“Come’on babe” Dave said and caught him again, his hands slid underneath his clothes as he fumbled for his lips “it’s been too long. You had many night shifts lately and then I had to share you with Yobi-”

“-Yoobi” Taemin corrected as he placed his hands on his chest, prevented him from kissing him.  

“Yes, yes, Yoobi…” Dave mumbled and pushed Taemin to lean on the door behind him, locked him against it with his body, his lips crushed on his mouth roughly, kissed him with what he probably thought was passion.

Taemin closed his eyes while Dave’s tongue pushed into his mouth, his eager hand felt too rough on his skin, made him whimper with discomfort when he pulled him in his arms and carried him to the bedroom.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

2 days since she had landed, and yet Yoobi still suffered from a jet lag. This morning, Minho received a call from her teacher, saying she fell asleep during class, he found it amusing, unlike her teacher, of course.

Now, as they sat to the table for dinner, Yoobi had her eyes closed and wide open, her head rested on her palm and threatened to fall backward, Minho couldn’t help it but smile.  

“So…” he said loudly enough to awake her.

Yoobi opened her eyes and looked at her father confused, she raised her head from her palm and hummed at him.

“How was at school today?” he asked, knowing she won’t tell him she’d feel asleep at class.

“Mr. Kim gave us a lot of homework” she mumbled into a yawn.

“Do you need help?”

She shook her head as she grabbed her chopsticks in hand, she pushed it into her plate and grabbed a big amount of noodles into , her eyes slowly closed again as she chewed.

“Yoobi…” Minho called.

“I’m awake” she declared and opened her eyes “appa…”

“Hmmm?”

“You know, summer vacation is coming…”

“And?”

“And all of my friends are going on a family vacation”

“I see, do you want to go on a vacation as well?”

She nodded.

“Well, I’ll see if I could take a few days off from work, and we’ll go somewhere nice” Minho said as he took a bite into his mouth.

“I was thinking... maybe we can go to…”

“To?” Minho raised an eyebrow.

“...DisneyLand”

“DisneyLand?”  

Yoobi nodded, suddenly, she was fully awake.

“Well, ah-”

“Please, appa!” she begged.

”I-I guess that’s possible” Minho said hesitatingly.

Big smile crossed Yoobi’s lips as she jumped of her chair excitedly.

“Now, now, before you-”

“We’re going to DisneyLand! It’s gonna be the best family vacation ever, all of us together!”   

“All of-?” Minho mumbled confused, he placed his hands on his bouncy daughter’s shoulder and stopped her.

Yoobi tilted her head, can’t understand her father’s frown “yes, you, me and Taemin appa”  

“Tae-? Sweetie, I don’t think Taemin appa could join us”

Yoobi’s expression turned into a worried one “why not? He likes Mickey Mouse”

Minho sighed and pulled his daughter to his lap, it was one of those moments she couldn't understand her fathers’ divorcement. She was 5 years old when they separated, and Taemin always been around, but now, when he’s in London, things had changed.

“I think Taemin appa is too busy with his internship”

“But, can’t he take few days off like you?”

“I don’t know”

“Would you ask him?”

Minho looked at his daughter for a long moment before he nodded, just so he could see her smiling again.

“Thanks, appa” she said sweetly.

“Now, let’s finish dinner so you could do your homework”

Yoobi nodded, she jumped off of his lap and sat back to her own chair to finish her dinner, when she did, she turned to do her homework as promised.  

When Yoobi showered, Minho glanced at the clock, it was already too late to call his ex-husband, he texted him instead, asked him to call him when he’s free. Taemin called him almost immediately.

“Minho…” his sweet voice filled the line.

“Did I wake you?”

“No, I’m having a night shift. Is everything alright?”

“Yes, yes…”

“How’s Yoobi?”

Minho could hear the smile in Taemin’s voice when he asked about their daughter “she’s in the shower, getting ready for bed”

“My sweet girl” Taemin mumbled “I haven't talked with her since she’s been her”

Minho wondered if it was because he was too busy with that ‘Dave’.

“I had a double shift yesterday” Taemin said tiredly “and a lot of paperwork to do”

“How’s work?”

“Hard. Luckily, the people are nice, so it helps”

“Hmmm”

“What’s wrong?” Taemin asked, noticing something bothering his ex-husband.

“Minnie...” Minho said quietly, though they were divorced, he never stopped calling him sweet names “Yoobi wants to go on a summer vacation, all of us together”

Taemin became quiet, and for a moment, Minho thought he hang up the call.

“Tae?”

“I’m...not sure I can”

“It’s ok, I’m just informing”

“Minho?”

“It’s ok, I already told her you’re too busy with your internship, so don’t feel bad about it. I’ll take her anyway”

“It’s not about that” Taemin said, referring the fact that their daughter couldn’t understand the meaning of their divorcement yet.

“I know, I guess she’s just still young to understand”

“Hmmm”

“Don’t bother yourself, like I was saying, I’m just informing”

“Appa” Yoobi’s voice made Minho turn, his daughter stood in front of him with a big towel around her body and wet the floor “are you talking with Taemin appa?”

“Yes-”

“Let me speak with him! Let me speak with him!” she called and grabbed the phone from his hand “appa!”

“Yoobi” Taemin’s voice turned cheerly “how are you, sweetie?”

Yoobi turned from the kitchen and went to her room so she could talk with her father privately. Curious as he was, Minho hadn’t followed.

 

~    

 

Taemin played with the food on his plate, he wasn’t hungry, and yet, Dave persuaded him to go for a breakfast after his shift.

“How was your shift” he asked in between bites, when he noticed Taemin was daydreaming, he coughed his throat for attention.  

Raising questioning eyes, Taemin hummed.

“Are you listening?”

“Yeah, sure” he wasn’t.

“No you’re not” Dave accused with a smile “you’re playing with your food, don’t you like it?”

“It’s good” Taemin said and forced himself to push a bite into his mouth.

“What’s going on?”

“Nothing”

Dave eyed him for a long moment, made him uncomfortable in his own skin.

“I’m just tired” he mumbled “I had a tiring shift”

“Finish your breakfast and we’ll go, I got to get to the office anyway”

Taemin nodded, he smiled and placed his hand on Dave’s, patted it fondly before he placed another bite into his mouth.

“Dave…?”

“Hmmm?”

“I was thinking…”

“About?”

“A vacation”

A sassy smile crossed Dave’s lips “oh, do you wanna go somewhere nice together?”

Taemin inhaled deeply, he couldn’t stop thinking how he’ll tell Dave about his conversation with Minho last night, about Yoobi’s wish to go on a family vacation.

“No. Alone”

Dave frowned “by yourself?”

Taemin moved uncomfortably in his chair “with my daughter”

“She has just been here”

“I know, however, I’m talking about summer vacation, Yoobi want’s to have a family vacation-”

“Family?!” Dave snapped, he knew that family meant Taemin’s ex-husband as well. Inho? whatever his name was, he never met the man and yet saw him as a threat, many times before he has heard them talking over the phone, though he couldn’t understand Korean, he heard the tone of their conversations, all giggles and smiles.

Few people at the cafe turned to look at them, embarrassed, Taemin kicked Dave’s leg underneath the table.

“What you’re trying to tell me is that you want to  go on a vacation with your ex-husband?!”

“And our daughter”

Dave shook his head in disbelief “she’s not even yours”

Taemin’s face changed with anger “what?” he hissed in between gritted teeth “I can’t believe you just said that, Yoobi is my daughter as much as she's Minho’s”

“She’s his daughter, you just been there when she was born, played ‘mommy and daddy’ for few years”

“Wha-? You don’t even know what we’ve been through just to have her!”

Dave knew he had crossed the line, and yet, couldn’t bring himself to say ‘sorry’, motivated by his jealousy, he crossed his arms over his chest.

“I can’t believe you” Taemin said offended, tears of anger sprang to his eyes “no wonder Yoobi didn’t like you”

“She didn’t like me-?” Dave asked surprised, he had tried to be nice to Taemin’s daughter when they met, sure, she couldn’t understand English, but he tried his best and used Taemin as an interpreter.

Taemin pushed his plate from him and got up from the chair ready to leave “in a matter of fact, I don’t even like you right now”


~

 

Yoobi sat on the couch with Minho’s phone attached to her ear, big smile on her lips, Minho had no idea what Taemin had said that made her so enthusiastic.

“YES!” she called all of a sudden and jumped from the couch, rushing her little feet toward Minho, she handed him the phone “Taemin appa wants to talk to you”

Frowning, Minho took the phone from her hand, he asked her to be quiet before he placed it to his ear but Yoobi just jumped around excitedly.

“Hello?”

Taemin chuckled into the line when he said ‘hello’, amused by his daughter reaction.

“What’s going on- Yoobi! be quiet, I can’t hear anything”

“I told her we’re going to DisneyLand”

“We are?”

“Hmmm”

“Are you su-Yoobi!” Minho scolded his daughter once again “be quiet!”  

“You see how excited she is?”

“Yes, she’s jumping all over”

Taemin chuckled again “then, I guess we’re going on a family vacation”

Minho looked at his jumping daughter with a smile “are you sure?”

“Absolutely”