J - Reunion

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

t's another quite and boring morning in Kim's family household. No parents to comfort the warm for his only son. No family breakfast nor dinner to start and end his day. No fantasy of having a perfect wholesome family ever in Jin's memory. This study room, a room where his father usually have his private meeting with his special advisor and client, is rarely use anymore since he became one of the richest and influential person all across nation. One of the shareholders for major group in South Korea that covers from machinery to life insurance. His father is so busy, Jin is even lucky enough to actually get a passed down message from his father through his secretary, but even that rarely happen again these days. He doesn’t know whether it is because Jin's father has grown tired to get a rejection from Jin every time he invites him, or because he's too busy to actually remember he still has a son. Jin's mother is no different, since father never spend time at home anymore and rather choose to be among his business man, mother has taken advantage of his wealth by travelling across the world with her friends. Although she still kind enough to ask Jin to come with her although he always deny and call every once in a while to make sure Jin is not in trouble and still doing his business. But deep down, Jin knows, her mother only ask that just in case if his father's company fell through, she still has Jin's business to fed on her glamourous lifestyle.

Yes, Jin is also a businessman, act as a CEO to a small company that his father provided for him for his coming of age gift. Jin was never interested in doing business with his father, he had told him so many times that he will pursue his own career on a field that he likes which is art. Right after Jin told his father about that, he freaked out and lashed on Jin by cursing him out saying that he's not his son anymore if he continues his useless and pipedream job. The only reason that Jin actually ever take interest or willing to at least participate is because his mother begged him to do so. Believe it or not, he and his mother used to be close like none other. They only had each other and spent most of their time together, but all of it change since his father stop coming home and mother started to find her own interest and life which does not include Jin. No matter how heart-breaking it must have been, Jin is grateful that when it all happened, he met Namjoon, and soon after that follows the rest to fill in his day and replace the place in his heart where family is suppose to set. The other 6 kids created a real family for Jin.

Now, he's happy to be a CEO for a rather small and insignificant but successful company of corps and goods. Also fulfilling his interest in photography as his side job and be able to meet a lot of amazing photographer and painter due to his parents connection. On top of all, he has a real little family that he's looking after for. Of course, being a CEO he never tell his kids about it, because they don’t want them to see him differently. He doesn’t seem to think that being a CEO is a big deal to be brag about, all the other 6 kids need to know that he's an independent man that could lives on his own earning and willing to help and to care for them no matter what. To top it all of, they don’t need to know what kind of other job that Jin is involve in because it may be too dangerous for them to even know about it. A case that Jin has made by himself to uncover the trust about his own family, specifically his father.

It has come to his attention, that in a span of less than 2 years, his father has turned from a small shareholder for a company to a billionaire real quick. Too quick to be true perhaps. All those secret meeting that he held in this very room must not be something about all of those businessman small talk about their domestic life to talk about their bothersome wife. Since he was told to take interest in business, of course Jin had to learn all the necessities for him to be able to dive into the business world. Moreover, his father was the one who taught him all the things he know now. There are time where Jin were told to practice by looking at his father's business plan and agreement with other parties and ask for Jin's opinion whether the plan is a smart thing to do or not. From there, his father assess whether Jin is ready to run his own company. But little did his father know that Jin knows more than what his father taught him and if he opens his mouth, he could lose all of his fortune.

"Here's all the thing that I've gather for the past month," a middle age man is seated politely right across the coffee table in front of Jin. In his well tailored suit, slim fit pants, black pantofel, and well groom hair, Jin has known him for more than 4 years now. Beginning from a small acquaintance through his father's business to being his private lawyer.

Jin looks over the file that was handed to him and read all the pages one by one carefully. "So, it's true then?" he gaze at his lawyer, Mr. Gyu.

Mr. Gyu nods hesitantly as he arch forward. "I've cross-checked everything and made sure with all the parties involve myself. It was not easy, and although it may be too premature, I could say yes to a certain extent for now," he explained.

"How bad?" he asks again as he flip close the files on his hand.

"I would say he could be looking at 25 years of imprisonment and millions of won fine at best," Mr. Gyu answer as he takes a sip on his tea when Jin put down the file. Mr. Gyu takes a deep breath, "are you sure you want to do this?"

"Why?"

"Well, he IS your father."

"That does not justify anything," Jin answer firmly while leaning back on his chair. He looks at Mr. Gyu deeply to show that he is serious about what he's doing. "Thank you for your work, I will keep this under my advisement. I'm sorry to cut this short but I have to be some place else," he says wrapping up his meeting with his lawyer. He reaches out his hand to Mr. Gyu and both of them shake hands firmly. "Please talk to my assistant for your payment."

Mr. Gyu laughs in sarcastic way as he shove his hand to his pocket. "Hey, kid. Do you always have to be so formal like that? I've known you since you're still in high school. Don't be too up tight, I'm your hyung."

"In this room our relationship is strictly professional and you're my lawyer, and I'm your employer. Outside of this room and matter…"

They're both quite, as Mr. Gyu is waiting for Jin to continue, and Jin picking the right term for the situation. "Your hyung?" Mr. Gyu insisted the term.

Jin is quite for a second but then smile. "Yes, you are my hyung. Thank you, Hyung."

Mr. Gyu laughs looking at how flustered Jin is, he always know Jin as these mature type sometime he's worry for Jin that he youth has been robbed by all of the cooperate world—but of course, he doesn’t know about his 6 kids that provide that just fine for him. Mr. Gyu takes his briefcase and straighten his suit then stand up. "Then, Director Kim, I'll get going," Mr. Gyu bows to Jin to show respect.

Jin stands up to to pay respect. "Thank you, Lawyer Gyu." Mr. Gyu smirk a little hearing his formal and uptight respond then take his way out of the room. After the door closes, Jin plump himself into the sofa one more time with a heavy sigh. He massages his temple with his thumb and his index finger. He takes a peak at the files that is place on top of the coffee table. He force himself to get up and take the file into his hand one more time but don’t dare to open the first page. He sighs one more time then take the file to his safe bank behind one of the bookshelf that his father does not know about. He had it instilled when his father and mother where away for a really long time, he needs a save place to put his business stuff in. He enter the passcode and the door opens. He put the file nicely and close it then lock it perfectly. After he's done he cover the safe with a few books like it used to, then he looks the clock on the wall. It's almost time for him to visit Jungkook at the hospital. He takes his wallet and phone on the table and bring himself out of the house then quickly walk to the main road to talk the taxi so he'll arrive quickly.

After a few minute inside the taxi, he finally arrive at the hospital. He takes himself to the 4th floor using the elevator and as soon as he arrives in front of Jungkook's door, he knocks on the door then opens it. Soon after he opens the door, a warm welcome was thrown to him by the 6 kids inside.

"Jin-hyung!" all of them scream together right after Jin enters the room.

Jin laughs a little. "You guys all here," he says as he sees all of them complete in the room. He approach the person who's lying on the bed first before the rest. "Jungkook, how are you? Are you being taken care of nicely?" he asks.

"Of course, Hyung! It's all because of you, thank you so much," says Jungkook with his sweet and warming smile although scared a little here and there.

"Jin-hyung, how are you? It's been a long time." Jimin approach him and put his hand around Jin's shoulder.

"I know. You got chubbier," he pinch Jimin's cheek with his fingers causing him to groan. The rest of them laugh seeing this little reunion. They can't remember when was the last time that all of them are gathered like this in a same room.

"Suga how are you?" he turn to Suga who's leaning his body near the window crossing his arm. "Of course."

"Thank you for taking care of Jungkook," he thanked Suga. Suga only reply with a small hand gesture showing that he should not say thank you.

"You got here late, Hyung," says Taehyung.

"Hey, V," Jin greet him with Taehyung alter ego's name.

"Ey, hyung. Don’t call me with that name." Taehyung protests.

"Haha, okay, I wont."

"Okay so now, Jin hyung is here. What exactly happened to you Jungkook?" Jimin asks after he lets go of his hug to Jin. All eyes are now directed to Jungkook, waiting for his explanation that has not been given because not all of them were there yet.

Jungkook look around his hyung and look hesitant to start but do so anyway. "It was not a long story to be honest, I was just on my way to Suga-hyung's house then I heard footsteps following me then some guy stopped me near and alley. They beat me up because I don’t have their money, so I ran away. Then as I was escaping I got hit by a car. That's it."

"Wait, so you were beat up too?" Namjoon quickly jumps in with a question that everyone wants to know too, including Suga. Jungkook does not open his mouth but nod instead. All of them look baffled after hearing what happened and unsure what to say after this.

Jin open his mouth, "Jungkook, if you need help with your dad's debt—"

"No, hyung. I'll take care of it myself," Jungkook cuts Jin right away before Jin could actually offer what he was about to offer.

"You have 6 hyung here. You've been beaten up for something you didn't do, it is bad enough we cannot stop that from happening to Taehyung, but now at least we can do something to stop it from happening to you," Yoongi opens up his mouth, shocked everyone in the room because they did not expect HIM out of all people to say something right away. It really caught them off guard especially for both Taehyung and Jungkook.

Jungkook is silent for a moment. "I know but it's not about that, Hyung."

"Don’t be selfish," Yoongi continues. "You think hyung is not tired taking care of you getting beat up everyday? You think hyung don’t have enough on his mind? Why are you so selfish? Is it pride that you held so high?" Yoongi starts to blurred out his thoughts but still in normal tone although the intensity has rise.

"Hyung…" Jungkook call out to him with a little pain that can be heard from his voice.

"You can eat your pride when you die." with that last Yoongi end his rant and exit the room and slam the door shut. The rest of them are baffled even more. After all these time it is true that Yoongi has not said anything or even comment about what happened to Jungkook even when Jin offer multiple time to help Jungkook. He would stay quite and takes care of Jungkook whenever he's beaten up or got thrown out by his father. It has always been Yoongi who's right next to Jungkook above anyone else. This is the first time all of them hear something like that coming out of Yoongi. Everyone is quite and look at each other in the eye before dare to look at Jungkook. Then Jimin follow Yoongi outside and call out to him. After he exits, his voice could only be heard faintly that he's calling out to Yoongi. The atmosphere has not yet loosen. Jin takes the first initiative to talk so the awkwardness would go away.

He taps on Jungkook's shoulder. "Don't take it to heart. I think Yoongi is just having a hard time comprehending what happened to you this time." says Jin trying to comfort Jungkook. Jungkook form a half smile, he's seated right up and clasp both of his hand in front of him showing how guilty he feels about what just happened.

"Lets not be too serious about this, all that matter right now is Jungkook getting himself recover." says Hoseok trying to lighten up the mood.

For old time sake, they start to talk about how it was back them for all of them. Although it may not be too different from how it is now, but they spend most of their time together. No matter if it was after school or classes, or on the weekends. They would spend most of their times together not worrying about other welfare except for their own. They wouldn’t have to think about their mother at home or their siblings, or even debt that piling up, or where they are going to work next so they can continue living. It was much more easier back then when they actually have each other. When life suddenly happened and barged in, they start to split up one by one into a smaller group, and Jin is the only one who has life on his own without the rest of them really knowing what's going on—but of course it does not make the other's business less important than him. After a awhile Yoongi and Jimin rejoined the group and Yoongi apologize for his sudden out burst but he explained that he was just worried for Jungkook safety, one of these day, he's convinced that he will get worst than just a beat up or car accident.

"Did you see who drove the car though? Or did you recognize the license plate?" asks Jimin after the situation is less tense right after Yoongi's apology.

"No, it was dark and I'm quite convinced it was one of them anyway," Jungkook answer.

"We should report to the police—" says Namjoon.

"For what? Sue them? If anything, they can sue me and my dad." Jungkook cuts in before Namjoon could finish.

"We know, but I think it is worth considering." Jin tries to balance the conversation.

"No, hyung. Please drop it. I don’t want anything to do with them even if they are at wrong. I would rather just get better and let it pass and forget all of these things behind us." says Jungkook with his voice so soft that tiredness can be heard. Once again the whole room becomes quiet, uncertain what to say next. But fortunately, the awkward silence is cut sort when a nurse knock on the door and walk inside.

"Excuse me, but did anyone order food?" says the nurse politely as she walks in.

"Oh, I did. Thank you so much." Jin answer and approach the door. The delivery man walks inside the room with his food container, he takes out 6 bowls of black bean noodle and 2 bowls of stir fry pork, then Jin pays him with a decent amount of tip for the delivery guy. Jin takes all the bowl in his hand and bring it to the boys. "Since we are all here, it is only right—" says Jin while he hands out all the black bean noodle out.

"Waaa!" the boys shouts as  they receive their free food in their hand. Jin place the stir fry pork on Jungkook's table so everyone could enjoy and take some.

"Wait, you're not eating?" Hoseok asks when he notices that there are only 6 bowls of jajjangmyeon.

Jin turn to see Hoseok and mumbles. "Aah… I'm not eating."

"Why?" says all of them almost at the same time.

"I… actually have to go and be somewhere else." says Jin.

Everyone stops what their doing for a second and look at each other. "To where?" Yoongi asks.

"Just… some business."

Again, everybody look at each other. They draw back awkwardly and divert their attention as they know what that means. They awkwardly open their bowl of jajjangmyeon as they also try to avoid eye contact with not just Jin but also with each other. Jin looks at everyone who shows a very uncomfortable body gesture, Jin smile with a little of sigh. "많이 먹거. 형이 먼저 갈게. (eat a lot, I'm going first)." says Jin as he points the door. Everyone just mumble to answer Jin, still unsure whether they should ask no matter how curious they are. They thank Jin for the meal and let him go on his way. Jin gets out from Jungkook's ward and walk to the elevator, not too long after he takes a few steps he hears the door behind him being slide open and footsteps coming towards him.

"Hyung!" he hears someone call out to him from behind, he stops and turn his body to see that Namjoon tries to catch up to him. "Where are you going?"

Jin smiles. "Somewhere."

"Are you going to do the thing that you told me about?" Namjoon asks Jin straight to the point, didn't realise that he would still remember what he told Namjoon months ago.

Jin caught off guard but remain calm to answer his question. "For now… I need you to take care of the rest, okay? Can you do that in my absence?" he puts his hand on Namjoon shoulder which Namjoon quickly brush off.

"Are you?" he asks again, but this time with firmer voice and a way more serious expression demanding for answer. Jin thinks about what to answer.

"I wouldn’t say this to the rest, but I think at least one of you should know, so… yes. I am doing it. Therefore, you need to take care of them in my absence."

"You're not going to leave like last time right?" Namjoon becomes more concern.

"No, so don't worry." he assures Namjoon, althought I doesn’t sound very reassuring. Namjoon has nothing more to say, he just put his head down and place on of his hand on his hips busy with his own thoughts. Namjoon looks at Jin in the eyes one more time.

"Okay. Be careful." he says as the last thing he could give as a warning.

Jin smile and nods. He then walk away from Namjoon to go on on his way. He takes his steps closer to the elevator and away from Namjoon, when he turn the corner his smile disappear. Worry start to fills in his mind, anxiety feed up on his body, and guilt greeting his heart. All of these failed scenario starts to build up in his mind, thinking what if everything is a mistake and become a failed attempt. What's the worst that could happen to his dad? What's the worst that could happen to his mom? To himself? But most importantly, if he fails what's going to happen to them?

 

Write's note: can you all guess what might happened next? We're getting there so hold on to your seats ;)