SG - I HEARD YOU

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

Yoongi looks at the clock on his phone, 10.36 pm. There has been no new news from Jungkook since the last time he sent his message. He sees no new notification on his phone too. He lock his phone and put it on the corner of the piano. He stares at the blank music sheet in front of him and place his fingers on the keys but unable to move. He has been on a musical blockage since a few days—pressure from his colleagues for the new song has been pressuring him and frankly he has not been able to enjoy making music as much as he did few years ago. Since he's working with this indie band for the last two years, his passion for his music has been decreasing. He does not get to play or make music the way he wanted anymore. Now, all he does is make melody for some sketchy tune that the singer would sing and record on the phone. He used to be so passionate creating new songs, bringing new meaning, taking joy from every note he press. As he's now answering for other people, his hands are tighter than ever. He could not remember when was the last time he made something for his own soul, with his own style of music. He takes a deep breath and place both of his hand on his knees. He drop his head down and give up coming up with new ideas for tonight. He reaches for his phone and bring it to the bed. He throw himself onto it and start to scroll through the internet. He opens the website of an entertainment agency and go for the audition section for the millionth time. Hit Big Entertainment is still opening audition for any singer, dancer, model, producers out there around the country. No entrance fee and there will be a few stages to get accepted as their trainee. He's been thinking of submitting his work for producer spot but he has not yet found the perfect one to submit—or to be more precise he's not yet ready to submit it. As his thoughts get fill up with many scenarios of what might happen if he sign up, his phone rings.

 

Unknown: Have you eaten?

 

This number has been texting Yoongi for the last couple of months asking all sort of questions about his well being and for these last couple of months he has been ignoring them too. He let out one short breath and quickly close it after he sees it, but then it rings again.

 

Unknown: You have to eat so you can go back worrying.

 

Yoongi scrunch up his eyebrows after reading the last one. He's unsure on how to feel about that last one, because for some stranger, this person knows TOO much about his life. One time, this person texted Yoongi right after he finish his gig at an underground club and told him that he has forgotten his jacket back at the club and he should go back and get it because it was supposed to rain—and it did! Yoongi has a couple of guesses of who this person might be, or more precise only one which is his mom. Yoongi has not talked to his parents since the day he decided to live on his own to pursue his music career. Despite of his parents protest, he knows that his mom would never let him go without a proper goodbye. Yoongi knows deep down, he would never escape his mom care. He's just glad after all this years, his mom still make sure he eats well and don’t get sick, even though he's not 100 percent sure that this number belong to her. But, it’s the best that he could get right now. Right where he was about to close the window chat, suddenly he got a phone call from a different unknown number. He hesitates to answer but still press the green button anyway.

"Hello?" a voice came through from the other side. "Is this Min Yoongi?" the lady asks.

"Yes, this is he."

"Yes, hello, sorry to bother you at this hour. But your phone call is listed as emergency number for Jeon Jungkook. This is from Seoul Care Hospital and we would like to inform you that Jeon Jungkook had been in a car accident and has been brought up to our hospital."

For a second Yoongi froze. Suddenly the whole world feel its going on a slow motion. He exhales, not realizing that he had been holding his breath for quite some time now. He quickly get on his feet and grab his jacket and wallet. "Where is this hospital?" Yoongi asks with his urgency heard through his tone of voice. "Yes, okay, thank you so much. I will be right there."

Yoongi quickly gets out his apartment and run down stairs. He takes big steps and jumps so he could get down faster. As he's jumping around the staircase, when he's about to make his last turn. He bump into someone who came out from the other side of the wall. Everything happen so fast, he's push back a little bit but the other person he run into falls to the ground. Before he stumble down, he grab the corner of the wall so he wouldn’t fall as well. He sees a small female figure seated down on the floor with her stuff all over her. Yoongi quickly knell down and grab all the paper that is scattered around.

"쥐숭합니다, 쥐숭합니다!" he apologizes over and over as he picks up, what appears to be music sheet. The last thing he has to get is the guitar. As the girl stands up, Yoongi also stand up with music sheets on one hand and a brown guitar on the other. "Sorry, I was not looking where I was going." he says while he gives back the music sheet on his hand. The girl receive with her hand that has multiple bands around her wrist and a guitar pick as a pendant. He gives her guitar back, "I'm really sorry," he then quickly continue his way to the hospital. One big jump to finish off the last staircase and he quickly runs to the main road. He looks right and left for taxi and luckily one was approaching. He scream for the taxi and in a flash enter the car as it stops.

"Seoul Care Hospital please," says Yoongi to the driver. Without saying anything the driver drives away the car toward the intended destination. Yoongi sits there with his heart pumping like crazy and his breathes shorter than scented candle wick. He grabs his phone and try to call Jungkook's phone in case he's awake, but no answer. He put his hand on his temple supporting his head. He search through his contact and look for Jin's name. He dial his number and put phone near to his ear, hoping he would answer, but just the same no answer. He growl and harshly mess his hair. Before he know it, he has arrived at Seoul Care Hospital's lobby. The taxi stop right on front of the front door and pay the driver with a little money he has left then quickly exist the car. Yoongi run to the front desk of the lobby.

"A patient got into a car accident, name Jeon Jungkook. Where is he right now? I'm he's guardian." he says, panting.

"Please go to our emergency unit right down the hall. All of our patient who—"

"Thank you." Yoongi cuts the nice lady on the front desk and like blaze run towards the directed place. When he enter the emergency unit, he find the nearest nurse who just pass him and grab the nurse both shoulder. "Patient name Jeon Jungkook, car accident, where is he?"

"Ooh, he just got off ICU. He's right there." the nurse points at the bed where Jungkook is laying still, all bandage up.

Yoongi runs towards Jungkook's hospital bed. He take a good look at Jungkook's beaten up face, how he looks a mess. Not too long, a doctor approach him. "Are you Jeon Jungkook's guardian?" he asks politely.

Yoongi turn his body to face the doctor. "Yes, that's me."

"well, we did our best and did first aid surgery. Apparently he got into a hit-and-run incident so he was probably found hours after the real accident happen. There's no sign of major injury but to be sure, we might need to go under a few procedure and an MRI scan just to make sure there's no internal bleeding that might cause a grater danger. I need you to sign for this if we want to go with the procedure. Other than that, just some minor injury around his back, hand, ribs, and legs. No broken bones, but I see a slight crack in some. But there's nothing that we need to be alarmed about. I suggest he stays in the hospital for a few days so we can monitor his recovery."

Yoongi sighs in relief and frustration at the same time. Relief that Jungkook is okay for now and that nothing major seem to appear, frustrated because he's now have to think about where he should find the money for his medical bills. One thing for sure, if Jin does not answer at the first phone call, it is more likely that he's busy and he could not be bothered by anything else.

"Yes, doctor. Thank you," Yoongi answer with a tone full of tiredness and despair.

When the doctor leaves with his clipboard, Yoongi turn his head to see Jungkook closing his eyes, sound asleep. Yoongi takes the chair that's place near the bed. He takes his seat, he clasp both of his hand as he rest his elbow on his knee, leaning his body forward. He exhales. He smirks, you made me worry, punk. He says to himself on his mind. He touch Jungkook's hand lightly just for the sake of knowing that he's body is still warm as ever. Then he grabs his phone on his pocket and take it out, he then open the group chat window with the rest of the guys and type in.

 

나: Jungkook got into a car accident.
나: At emergency room right now.
나: Do not worry.

 

He closes the window chat right after he send those messages. He looks at Jungkook, is it him again or did you really get into a car accident? Yoongi mumbles to himself again. He stands up and go to the administration desk to take care of MRI permission and other paperwork. After he finished filling in all the require information needed, he takes out his ATM card and give it to the worker hesitantly, he looks at his card being swipe to the machine and let the lady punch a lot of button on her computer. Yoongi looks at the machine anxiously. He close his eyes and pray inside his head hoping that the money he save up would be enough to pay for Jungkook's bill. 10 seconds had passed then he hears the machine make a printing noise, the receipt came out! Yoongi exhales in relief knowing his money is still enough. The lady give back his ATM card and he put it back where it should be on his wallet slot. He kisses his wallet lightly showing his gratitude that he can still be the reliable hyung for Jungkook. He takes the clipboard that is given by the lady and sign inform consent of Jungkook's MRI then hand it back to her. She gives him the rest of the receipt and lower her head slightly to show respect which Yoongi reply. He takes all the files with him and walk back to Jungkook's bed. As he arrives right next to Jungkook's bed, he notice a white plastic bag is place on the side table with a little note attach to it. He takes the sticky notes, and read it.

 

Don't get sick looking after a sick person. Eat this and feel energize.

L.Y

 

After he reads the little note he takes the plastic bag on takes out what's inside one by one. Bread, banana milk, vitamin, kimbap, complete with wet tissues. He bite his lower lip, hesitate on whether he should feel happy or suspicious.

"Excuse me," says Yoongi to a nurse who's just passing by. "Did you see anyone else come here?"

"No, I'm sorry. Is there something wrong?" asks the nurse back.

"Nothing. Thank you." he answers politely. He takes out the clear straw from inside the plastic bag as the nurse walk away. He plunge the straw on the protective cover of the banana milk and drink it right away. He takes a look at the milk brand then again at the note. He tries to recall anyone he know with the same initial as it is written on the note. He looks at the back of the note, and there's another small writing.

 

민윤기 ~

 

Definitely someone I know, and someone who knows me. Yoongi mumble to himself. Suddenly his phone rings, he quickly takes it out of his pocket and check the screen who's calling him. There, he sees Jin's name written on it.

"Is Jungkook, okay?" a voice is heard from the other side of the line.

Yoongi exhales in relief knowing that Jin is still around. "Yeah, he's okay."

"I saw you called me. Sorry I didn’t pick up. I cant come around."

Yoongi chocked. "That's alright."

"Do you have enough money?" ask Jin with concern. "Jungkook must require extended medical attention right?"

"Mmm, well…"

"I'll transfer some money to pay for his medical bill. I might be out of reach for a couple of days, so please make good use of it and be conservative."

Yoongi is silent. He cant answer. As much as he wants to answer with a question on his mind.

"I'm hanging up." click.

Before Yoongi could answer or give his respond the line got cut off . A few second later after he pull his phone away from his ear, his phone vibrates. He gets a text message from the bank, notification that he just received a back transfer for a quite amount of money. Yoongi smirks. He always admire and wonder whether Jin is that selfless or that he's just a rich snob who's looking some place to throw away his money. This reminds him from his past when Yoongi just started to live on his own and thinking about buying his own place from the money he saved up. Without thinking or talking any further, Jin immediately offer to help him with his down payment if he were about to buy a house. Jin come up with some nice houses that way off Yoongi's budget. But, typical, Jin only said not to worry about the money and focus on his music career. Of course Yoongi declined it to the ground, he does not want to use Jin's money because he didn’t earn it. The conversation was almost lead to a fight because a misunderstanding from both party. Although Jin implied for a friendly helping hand, Yoongi see it as a mockery, underestimating his ability to live on his own and doubting his music skill as well. But all ended well after Namjoon came in as a mediator and solve both misunderstanding. When Yoongi is immersed in his memory suddenly he felt someone grabbing his other hand.

"Hyung…" suddenly he hears a soft voice, a voice he could never be mistaken.

"Jungkook-a," Yoongi bend down so he could hear Jungkook better. "What's wrong?"

"You came?" asks Jungkook with a little forced smile on his face. Yoongi smirk and takes his seat.

"Of course, idiot."

Jungkook smile as he closes his eyes. "How much does it cost?"

This kid. The first thing that he asks after he wakes up is how much it cost? Yoongi thought to himself. "Don't worry about it."

"I should thank Jin-hyung," he says as his smile disappear, as well as his consciousness.

Yoongi smirk. Of course he knows who paid for him. Although Yoongi paid first. But there's no way Jin would let one of us got into an accident and not help.

"Thank you too, hyung. For taking care of me," Jungkook whisper before he continue to fall asleep.

Yoongi stare at his face. His lips formed a smile. He pat Jungkook's head lightly and let Jungkook go to sleep. A little brother that he never had. Someone who always there and support his dream. Helping him through thick and thin from his early days. I should say thank you. Once again Yoongi mumbles. He looks at the empty bottle of banana milk that he threw to the bed. He takes it to his hand and grab it lovingly.

"넌 누구야? (who are you)" he says.