J/NJ - Old Friend Visits

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

Jin standing near his bed, turning his head slightly to the left to see the clock on his bed side table. The time shows that it's almost 9 in the morning. He's wearing his white shirt and blue navy cardigan with jeans. He takes his phone that lays on the cabinet, he receives notification from Namjoon.

 

남준: Come now

 

Without opening the notification, he shoves his phone into his jeans and walk towards the door. He gets out of his bedroom and walk toward the kitchen. He opens the refrigerator door and check for any leftovers that he can take with him to Namjoon's place. He takes a plastic bag from one of the drawers and start putting containers of food to the plastic bag. Eggs, milk, butter, kimchi, bread, and any other homemade cooking that was made by the family maid. Suddenly he hears a footstep approaching.

"Is it for your friends again?" the maid has stand right behind the refrigerator door with cloths on her hand.

Jin smiles and nods politely. "Should I make some meat as well for them?" the maid asks softly while starting to take out some ingredients from the refrigerator.

"No, it's okay. I'll just take this leftovers for them. I'm going now, anyways." Jin tie up the plastic bag and place it on the counter. He sigh, unsure whether he should ask the next question. "Mom or dad?" he asks.

The maid looks at Jin's slowly and stare at Jin's blank eyes for a while then shakes her head a little. "I see." Jin answers.

He takes the plastic bag with him and immediately run to the front door. He puts on his shoes with no time to spare and run outside right after. He takes his heavy steps on the road, trying to forget about what he regrets to asked a few minutes ago. It's a rather peaceful morning, the sun shining shyly on the sidelines of the clouds. He looks up and shade his eyes from the sun that goes directly to his eyes. He takes a really deep breath and continue his steps. Before he knows it, he's standing right in front of  a crossing train tracks. The bell that rings reminding pedestrian to stop before the train bar. Across the train track he sees a woman standing alone carrying many book on her embrace. He notices the sweat on the woman forehead, wetting her baby hair. For a rather cloudy day, this girl sweat quite a lot. A few seconds later the train bar lifts up, allowing pedestrian to continue their walk. He walks slowly across the train track meanwhile the woman on the other side run as fast as she can without even noticing him. He tilts his head a little and let her disappear on the corner of his eyes.

He takes out his phone and check what time it is, 9.43 on Wednesday morning. Although his house and Namjoon's almost 1 hours walking distance, but it does not feel like it because of how many time he visit him. As he arrives at the apartment building, he looks up before going up the stairs. He sees the figure that is so familiar on the rooftop standing while smoke coming out of his mouth. He smirk and take the first step to the rooftop. When he reaches the rooftop, he walks toward Namjoon who is sitting on a bamboo platform. Jin stands next to Namjoon and place the plastic bag next to him.

"Breakfast." says Jin lightly.

Namjoon exhales his last smoke and put his cigarettes down . Namjoon peak inside the plastic bag and take out the banana milk. He puts the straw in and starts drinking it without hesitation. "Taehyung called." says Namjoon.

Jin froze a little bit while staring blankly forward. He clasp both of his hand together and starts rubbing it against each other—he inhales and exhales. "And?"

"You know, the usual," answers Namjoon lightly.

Of course Jin knows. "Where is she now?"

"She's on her way here with Taehyung." says Namjoon. He looks down to his cigarettes on the middle of his fingers and starts to spin it around. Jin looks at Namjoon's face who suddenly change melancholy, quickly Jin understands and giggle a little with concern.

Jin tap Namjoon's back. "She'll be fine. She has Taehyung and the rest of us. Especially you."

Namjoon does not answer let alone give any respond. He smirks while letting out his breath roughly, he throws his cigarette to the ground and take the plastic inside his house without saying anything. Before he could open his front door, he got a message on his phone. He takes out his phone and look at the screen. After he sees what's writen, he put his phone back to his pocket and open the door and enter his house. Jin follow him from the back, "what is it?" asks Jin.

"Nothing." answer Namjoon while sorting out the food that Jin brought him. "Thanks for the food."

Jin slip both of his hand to his jean's pocket. "No problem," he stares at Namjoon's back for a while. "I'll get going," Jin turn back toward the door but before he exist, he stops. "Ah! Don't finish all that in one day, I might not be around for a while." says Jin as Namjoon looks at him with straight face. "Oh, and… you might want to clean up the place a little."

Namjoon laughs a little. "Go," he says as he get back to sorting out the food.

"I'll be a phone call away," says Jin while he exits the small studio house that Namjoon could barely afford. As Jin is outside, he meets Taemi who just got up from the stairs. Jin smiles, "Hi, Taemi. He's inside." Jin points back with his thumb toward the small house behind him. Taemi nods a little and clasp both of her hand in front of her. "Sorry, I can't stay." says Jin as he passes her and goes down the stairs.

After he only takes a few steps, he looks up toward Taemi and stares at her swollen jaws and cut lip. It looks fresh. He sighs as the sight of her breaks his heart a little.

태형아… 힘들지? (Taehyung-a, it's hard isn't it?) He thinks to himself.

 

Namjoon looks at the window and sees the blue grayish skies and sunlight that shines trying to break through the curtain. He picks up the blanket and lay it perfectly on his bed as he let his eyes being spoiled by the view. He cleans and fluff the pillow to make it look neat. He then turn to the table and see a mountain full of finished cigarettes with ashes. As he was about to clean the ashes on the table, he hears the front doorknob is being twist slowly, even just from the way the door being open, he knows who's on the other side of the door.

"Hello," says Taemi as she enters the door and close it behind her. She takes off her shoe and line it up nicely with the rest of the shoes. She approaches Namjoon and takes the tissue on his hand and start cleaning the table. "Have you had breakfast yet?" asks Taemi.

Namjoon is still frozen and looks at everything Taemi does. She's always been kind and gentle to everyone, she never let her emotion pouring out. No matter how life's getting in her way. As Taemi cleans, although her hair almost cover her face, he can see it clearly the swollen jaw and scar on the corner of her lips. Namjoon sighs. He walks toward one of the drawers and takes out first aid kit. He sits down on the dining table that Taemi is cleaning and place the first aid kit on the table. Taemi saws the first aid kit and stops what she's doing. Taemi takes one of the chair and sits in front of Namjoon.

Awkward silent suddenly fills the room. Namjoon quickly open the first aid kit and take out an ointment and loosen the cap. He takes a little bit of ointment on the tip of his fingers and as he about to put it on Taema's lip, he caught Taemi's eyes looking straight back at him. Although it may seem empty, he knows that all of the look is just a lie—a cover up. He explore Taemi's face with his eyes. He notice a few scar has healed and some leave a mark that could not disappear. He also notice bruises on her wrists as well as her arms, all look so horrifying. Namjoon sigh and form a smile. "Did you fall on the way here and hit the asphalt?" he asks sarcastically.

Taemi caught off guard by his question. Of course she knows that he knows what happened, but she appreciates that he's trying to lose the tension. Taemi smirks, "Hmm." she agrees.

Namjoon smiles a little and his finger starts to reach the corner of  her lips. He brushes his fingers on her lips slowly and put the ointment back to the box. He then take out another cream from the first aid kit box, and reach out to her. "Here, take it. For your bruises. Use it once a day." says Namjoon calmly.

Taemi takes it from Namjoon's hand. "Thank you."

As much as Namjoon wants to pat her head to comfort her, he's being very careful not to step over the line. He would not want to add another trauma that might cause her to drift away. Her mother's boyfriend treat her and her mother abusively. Once everyday, she would get another new scar or bruises on her body from him—if she's lucky, the boyfriend would not come back one of these days for a long time. Every time this man comes back home, all he cause is terror to the house, asking for money and would get very upset if he doesn’t get what we want. He would get drunk everyday, abuse her and her mother, sometimes ually to her mother. When that time comes, Taehyung would have to be on guard 24 hours in the house in case that man would touch his family. Taehyung is no different, his body probably full of bruises and scar as well, even worse than his sister. When one of those days comes, Taehyung would place his sister with Namjoon until Taehyung finish work or ask Namjoon to her to school from a far in case she would come across that man. Namjoon has been doing this for over a year and it has become a routine for him. But little did Taehyung knows, he's actually doing Namjoon a favor too.

"Are you going to school today?" asks Namjoon while he gets up from his sit and cleans up the first aid kit.

"Yes. In a minute, Oppa says thank you and sorry for the trouble," says Taemi.

"Haha, as if he's ever sorry." Namjoon answers jokingly. "What time do you finish school today?" Namjoon tries to be subtle as he has to work his schedule around her so he could her until his shift starts.

Taemi does not answer immediately but sighs in her smile. "You don’t have to me."

Taemi caught him off guard. He did not realize that she would actually say that, he's been doing this withour her concern. "Do you really think after a year I would not notice you follow me around every time he comes back in town?" says Taemi.

"I…" Namjoon stutter not sure if any thing he says after this would help at all.

"It's okay. You don’t have to explain yourself…" Taemi finish her sentence but it sound like she has more to say. She approaches the window and upon up the curtain to let the sunlight in. She squeeze the curtain trying to gather courage. "If you… want to continue… maybe, it'll be better if…" she hesitates.

Namjoon turn his to face Taemi and cross his arms while he lean to the wall. "If we actually walk together." Taemi continues her sentence and froze right away.

Namjoon does not answer right away. The corner of his lip form a smile. "What time do you finish school?" he asks again.

"5 or 6 today." Taemi answer. Taemi takes her bag on the chair. "I think I'll get going now. I already miss, first and second period. I would want to get there by lunch." Taemi reaches for the door and exist without saying anything. Namjoon is left alone and smile as the room becomes quiet again. He takes out his phone and check for Taehyung's message. He types in his reply.

 

나: Don't worry. She'll be save.

 

And hits send.