J - Prophecy

Odd Wings: Book of Lynx

"I'm going to monitor every out going and incoming deals from now on, and I will do it discreetly," says private investigator Hyuk.

Jin is sitting uncomfortably, with his heart racing faster like he's about to go crazy, but despite all that he has to remain calm and show is professionalism. He cross his leg behind his desk and rest one of his hand on the table while leaning back on his arm chair. "Thank you inspector, and if something went rather difficult just tell me, I will give you more access on my father's file," he says calmly.
"네." the inspector shove all the files from his desk and his lap to his briefcase and close it tightly then scramble the padlock. He cleans up his suit and his tie before he gets up but stops as soon as he sees Jin's worry face. "I'm sorry to ask this, but why are we investigating your father?"

It broke his thought and Jin quickly shift his concentration to the investigator one more time. He smirks. "Nothing, I'm just double checking. Make sure that I can rely on your confidentiality."

"Of course. I will not disclose anything unnecessary to anyone other than yourself, Director Kim," says the investigator as he heave himself up and button his jacket.

Jin also stands up and shake investigator Hyuk one more time before he walk to the door. Suddenly the door is open from the other side of the door, and Mr. Gyu come walking inside. Investigator Hyuk and Mr. Gyu bow to each other shortly and part way right away. Mr. Gyu walks in and sit on the chair in front of Jin's desk.

"Who was that?" ask Mr. Gyu.

"Investigator. I think I have almost enough evidence to bring it to the authority," says Jin.

"Ya, are you crazy? Although we have a lot, we're not ready. It's not enough if we want to put a stop to it." Mr. Gyu reacts in a casual manner, he's no longer Jin's consultant in that tone of voice.

Jin smiles. "Don't worry, I'm not being hasty. I just don’t want any further suspicion if we continue this too deep and just the two of us. Someone ought to find out what we're doing no matter how careful. When that time should come, I want the authority to know that we're doing this under the supervision of law and it's fully for justice rather than selfish act that could be tongue-twisted by the mass media," Jin explains very calmly as he already regain full control of his body the moment Investigator Hyuk walked out his room. His absent makes it less… real.

"Waaa, Kim Seokjin. You've grown. I didn’t expect you would think about the possible collateral damages too. Well, say, I'm impress. It seems that you really know what you're doing."

Jin knows that Gyu Shin Ho is trying to compliment him, but for some reason he feels that this situation is not something he should be praise about. Going against his own father behind his back, not to mention all of this is to bring his father down. Gloomy aura starts to take place on Jin expression as he feels even more guilt thinking about his father. But he'll feel even guiltier if he doesn’t stop it. Deep down he must convince himself that he's doing this for his father grater good before he gets sink too deep. The ringing sound from the telephone breaks the silence inside the room, Jin quickly grabs the receiver and place it on his ear.

"Hello? Right now? Okay, thank you for telling me," Jin place the receiver back. "My father is coming, he's on his way here."

"OH really? Then maybe I should go." Mr. Gyu quickly take his briefcase and heave himself.

"No. Stay. I want you to be present and maybe prevent me from saying anything I should not," Jin answer without even looking back at Mr. Gyu. "Anyway, before he gets here, why are you here? Is there something new?"

"No, I was just about to give you the rest of the document from our last meeting, maybe your investigator could double check it, there are some area that I might not be to expert at," says Mr. Gyu, handing in a clump of paper work. "You sure you trust this investigator?"

"No." Jin quickly answer. Something Mr. Gyu did not expect Jin to say. "I don’t trust anyone else, beside me."

Mr. Gyu laughs a little. "Not me too?"

"No," he giggle. "Especially not you."

Both of them laugh hearing what Jin say but shakes it off. However, Shin Ho does not know that even behind that smile, Jin is actually serious about not trusting anyone. Growing up in cooperate world makes him belief in people a little less by the day. He does not belief those people who are distant from him, let alone people who are close to him. They said keep your friends close and your enemy closer still resonate loudly in his mind. Then the door open up widely without even a single knock. It was Jin's father who is standing on the door.

"Father. Welcome," Jin greet politely and bow as Mr. Gyu did too.

"Yes, yes. Hello," his father smug face smiles across the entire nation and arrogantly take his seat on Jin's desk. Thank god that all the file regarding him has been filed shut under his hidden compartment and the rest has been taken by Investigator Hyuk.

"You're here too?" he ask Mr. Gyu upon laying eyes on him.

"Ah, yes, CEO. I'm just visiting my younger brother and keeping him out of trouble," he taps Jin's shoulder but Jin does not rapport.
"Yeah? Have you been giving him useful advice?" he ask again, which Mr. Gyu only nod politely.

CEO Kim turn toward Jin. "Son, I have good news for you. You two. Sit."

Jin and Mr. Gyu sits in front of his father where the chair is empty. "I have just made a deal with a great investor and I won a huge share from them and I'm going to give all this profit for the expansion of your business, Seokjin-a," says his father lightly, without asking his opinion, but rather a statement.

Mr. Gyu and Jin is quiet for a while. Mr. Gyu gaze toward Jin who's head is lowered down. Mr. Gyu does not answer because it's not his place to say anything. "Thank you but no, Father," Jin finally speak up.

CEO Kim smile disappear in an instance then take a deep breath as anger building up. "What did you say?"

"Don't you remember when you give me this company. You promise that if I continue your path I will have my own company with my own calling and shots without the interference of others even you, Father."

Something Jin said trigger something in CEO Kim's mind. He's boiling up and holding his anger toward his son after receiving such good news of a new project. "What?!"

Jin lift up his face with a straight expression and say, "I'm sorry, Father."

CEO Kim inhale in anger again, about to snap at Jin's response as he does not break eye contact with him. But he let out his anger through long exhale. "그래, you want to be independent. I get it. But remember this," he stands up while cleaning up his suit. "One of these days, you might actually regret keep turning down my offer."

Jin and Mr. Gyu stands up too. "Have a safe trip back, Father," says Jin bowing to him with respect, low key kicking his father out of his office as he does not wish him to be here for too long—but mostly because Jin does not want his father to be poking around and accidently find something that his father is not suppose to see. Disappointment that is written Jin's Father's face could not be deny, never for a second CEO Kim ever feel appreciated by Jin. That's because Jin never really appreciate what Father pushes him to do. The things that he does, all the lie and deceiving, it's making Jin sick by the day. But he has to hold on, just for a little bit.

His father smirk, teasing Jin. "Wow. You've grown up. You changed after all. Be careful. Before you get at the wrong side of the wrong people," CEO Kim talks sarcastically with a little threat to end his sentence. He quickly take his leave followed by his assistant and bodyguard who are waiting outside for them. The door shuts right in front of him and suddenly Jin could feel he's breathing again, not realizing that he has been holding his breath this whole time. He lowered down his head and lean to the desk with his two hands, he could feel his head about to explode from the headache. Mr. Gyu pat Jin's back softly.

"You did well, you did well," then let his body fall on the armchair due to mental exhaustion as well.

*

 

After all the fiasco and unexpected visit from his father, Jin asks his driver to take him home so he could rest. He had done all the work for today, including his investigation and now it's time for him to take a rest and be the person he is, not what he's expected to be. When he arrives, he does not waste time to actually lay around or even touch his bed. He gets into the shower and change clothes quickly, after that he goes to the kitchen and start packing leftover food from his refrigerator. Knowing his house is almost always empty, sometimes he wonders where all of these leftovers food coming from when no one is there to eat it in the first place. He sometimes think that the food is there because the maid knows Jin always take food out of the fridge and bring it with him. He was about to shove the last container of food inside his backpack when somebody walk in to surprise him.

"You're home?" Jin turn to see who's talking to him and there he sees his mother standing just behind the counter in her rob staring at Jin with a full smile. He's still skeptical whether he's mother is actually glad to meet his son once in a while or that she's just putting an act to keep on Jin's good side.

"Omma, you're home?" Jin ask his mother back. Jin being home is not a weird thing, he always comes home no matter how busy he is. But his mother or father being home is another thing, they are rarely home. So the question should be intended to his mother.

"Are you going out?" his mother approach him and touch both of cheeks with her wrinkled hand. "Ouh, our son has grown. You look more handsome now and much taller."

Jin smirk at his mother comment, he knows she means well but the way she put it really emphasize how rarely they see each other to actually say something like that. And they actually still 'share' the same house. Jin take his mother's hand and put it down. "Yes, I'm going. I'll be back."

"Stay for a bit, cant you? Have dinner with me and your father. He should be here soon."

"Father is coming home. Why?"

His mother laugh. "What do you mean why? It's home, of course he's coming back."

Yeah, right. Jin censures in his heart. But for old time sake and avoiding any future fight, he would obey his mother wish for tonight. Couple hours later his father arrive home, and full set dinner table is ready to greet him along with his son and wife waiting at the table.

"Waa, my family. You've been waiting?" his father come in with a good mood while Jin is quite agitated that he's actually quite late. He really wanted to go and see Namjoon and visit Jungkook while he can. It has been almost a week since he last saw his kids.

"Honey, you came?" says Mrs. Kim to her husband. Meanwhile Jin is maintaining his straight face, trying so hard to not look pissed but unable to fake a smile as well. His father takes his seat on the table for the head household. Jin is sitting on his left meanwhile his mother is right in front of Jin, on the right side of her husband. Without saying too much, they start eating their dinner. They were serving basic Korean dinner with bulgogi, kimchi and other side dish. As they are half way through their dinner, his father finally strike a conversation.

"How are things at your company?" he asks timidly.

"Fine," he answers as short as possible, careful to not bring any further topic.

"Have you really set your mind on my offer?" obviously Jin knows that his father was referring to the offer he mentioned earlier today. Jin start to eat slower as his appetite depletes.

"Yes, father," he answers.

His father looks at him and chew his food slowly and finally swallow. He takes the napkin on his lap and wipe his mouth with it. "Okay. As you wish. But I have other offer for you, since you rejected by other one, so you ought to accept it," he glances at his wife before talking. Jin's mother gets the signal and stops eating. Jin looks up and see both of his parents had stop eating and sit straight, so he stops as well. "A close friend of mine have a daughter. She's still in collage, but she'll soon graduate. I think she'll be a good wife for you. She's not in the business world, which I think it's a good thing as you could find balance in your household later. She's smart, just graduated from nursing major. We'll do a formal introduction and once she's graduated you'll marry her," his father closes his statement just like that and continue eating. Jin stare at his father and mother in disbelief.

"Excuse me?" he sighs.

"Marry her, son. She's a nice girl. Do as you told and marry her," his mother whimpers.

Jin is about to explode in disagreement, he had put down his silverware, almost banging it on to the table. He arch back and sigh in distress, he swallows the leftover food in his mouth and let inhale deeply. "Don't you think I have a say in who I'm marrying?" he asks, still trying to content his anger.

"Why? Why wouldn't you like this girl? She's beautiful, smart, tall. She's the ideal woman for you," his father piercing gaze can be felt by Jin who’s trying to protest. "Enough. Let's stop talking about it. It's set. Let's eat."

With that Jin's anger culminates. He couldn’t let himself pick his spoon back up and finish this godforsaken dinner that he had to endure. However, he knows better than to upset his father or mother at the same time at dinner table. He clenches his hand underneath the table and take another deep breath. He takes the napkin and his lap and dab his mouth with it. "Excuse me. I'll be going now," he says as he throws the napkin to the table and exit the room, bring his backpack with him. He walk to the front door unknowingly followed by his mother, when he puts on his shoes, his mother stopped him.
"Where are you going?" she asks. But there was no tone of remorse or warmth in her speech, so it was rather hard for Jin to fell sympathetic.

Jin stop at the door and look back to face his mother. "I'm going out. I'll be back. You should continue, mother," with that he went out without saying anything else or wait for his mother reply. He quickly run away from his house to a nearby empty road and scream at the top of his lung out of frustration. After letting it out, he bows with both of his hand place on his knee. He whimpers in sadness, cry out tears that isn't there to begin with. He gather himself together and blink couple of time to get rid of his teary eyes and heave himself. He starts walking in a rather fast pace after looking at the dark sky. If he runs, he might actually make it to the hospital for a last minute visit (or illegal ones). As soon as he gets to the mainstream, he hail a cab to take him to the hospital. When he arrives he looks at the clock and says that it's almost 9, which mean visiting time is actually over since an hour ago, but thank goodness luck was on his side. The hospital was rather empty, when he arrived at the 4th floor, nurses who are suppose to be watching the entrance weren't there (probably attending to some patient who needed their help, or telling family member to go home). He quickly walk quietly to Jungkook's ward trying to look as normal as possible. When he reaches Jungkook's door, he slide the door very slowly and quickly get inside through the small space and close it back. He takes a deep breath, relief no one caught him or stopped him on the way here. He place his backpack on the sofa, but when he reaches to the other room, he sees Taehyung is already sitting next to Jungkook who's sleeping, waiting for him.

"Taehyung-a, what are you doing here?" Jin asks. His voice startled Taehyung as he quickly turn to face Jin when he heard his voice.

"Hyung! What are you doing here? Have you been well?" Taehyung gets up from his seat and approach Jin then hug him tightly for a brief moment.

"Yeah, I'm well. Are you waiting for Jungkook tonight? Where's Suga?" asks Jin as he mentions Yoongi's stage name.

"I'm switching with Yoongi hyung for tonight. He's probably home at the moment," Taehyung explains.
"You?" Jin frowns. "Are you sure you should be here? Mom and Taemi?" his paternal extinct suddenly surfaced.

"Haha, don't worry, hyung. They are safe," Taehyung tries to convince Jin, which isn't really affective but Jin agreed anyway. He looks at Jungkook who's fast asleep on his hospital bed wearing hospital gown. "What are you doing here, hyung?"

"To visit. I want to see how he's progressing."

"He's fine. Healing really fast, of course. I'm pretty sure he wants to go back working and not bother you too, Hyung," Taehyung tries to cheer Jin who is worry with a little teasing and a smile.

Jin smiles back at Taehyung and let out a sigh, and again stare back at Jungkook.

"Is something wrong?" Taehyung concerns.

Jin does not answer immediately, instead he looks at Taehyung's concern look and it made his choke on his own spit. He giggle nervously, "Nothing. I'm just very busy."

"Still?"

Taehyung reply left him speechless. I know he's been too busy for too long, and I'm sure by this point he can’t no longer avoid the subject or lie to his kids about what he's been doing. He shakes it off and smile sincerely to assure Taehyung. "Don't worry, I'll be fine."

Taehyung inhales a really long breath and nods a little but his heart remains burden. He walk back to his seat and sit back down meanwhile Jin walk to the other side of the bed, standing. He glance at his wristwatch and realize the time, he has to go to Namjoon's place after this to give him his food, which remind him. "Have you eat yet? Here, have some kimbap," he takes out one Tupperware and hand it to Taehyung, along with pack kimchi and water bottle. Taehyung receives it with no hesitant and place it on the table. "I'm going to Namjoon's, now. Please take care of Jungkook." Satisfied after seeing Jungkook recovering well,  he takes his leave right away. Taehyung nods and let Jin turn his body around and walk towards the door.

"Hyung!" Taehyung call out to him. "You'll be back for real soon, right?" there's a slight of hesitant and worry mix together in Taehyung's tone.

Jin's stare at Taehyung right after he calls out to him. He smiles. "Yes."
"We'll be here. You have us," Taehyung assure Jin one more time before Jin actually take his leave. When he exist Jungkook's room with his backpack, he lean to the wall right outside Jungkook's ward and sigh. All his burden and worry suddenly shifted from him, to his kids. Suddenly, his arrange marriage problem doesn’t seem so big after he recalibrate his perspective after meeting Taehyung. He knows, he needs to be stronger. He has to get stronger. For them and for himself as well.