Eyes Can't Lie

Grotesque: Legend of Monsters

Eyes told stories; so many stories that sometimes it spills out. 

Byun Baekhyun's eyes were like walking through a Siberian forest barefooted. 

It was cold and empty. 


Smell of death. 

Something was off and I could feel it in the air the force of unusal power. 

I knew the smell all too well but this couldn't be right. 

Blood Hunters.  

They were getting closer and this time it was coming from all sides. I needed to run. I have been running away for almost my entire life. I wasn't strong enough yet. I still needed more time to figure out my own power and its limit. 

I got up from my seat and walked out from my math class, ignoring the shocked glances and incomprehensible murmurs from teachers and my classmates. It was a small high school located in the outskirts of Daegu. I ran towrad my small apartment and grabbed my already packed duffel bag. 

Early December wind greeted me once again as I made my way toward the bus stop. 

Where would I hide this time? I have always stayed in small towns and dark run down places but they all lasted no more than three months each time. Maybe that was the problem. I was hiding in predictable spots. They expected me to keep a low profile and in small towns, no one would eve notice if I went missing one day. There was no human eyes watching them from all sides. This time I would run for crowded city. If they wanted to play hide and seek with me, I'll make sure I make this hell of a game. 

As the bus slowed down, I got on the crowded bus heading to Seoul. 

TIme stopped. 

"How long do you think you can hide from them?" I couldn't move my body. I wanted to turn around and look at the owner of the voice but my body stayed frozen. 

"They'll find you and they will kill you. You have to kill them first and I know you can. I know you very well, Byun Baekhyun. You're more than capable of killing the Monsters, even the strongest of them all. We need you and you'll need us." He whisphered in my ears and his voice carried coldness that could freeze anything if he wanted to. As quick as the strange voice appeared and rooted me in place, I was now free. I looked around the bus frantically but nobody was here expect for the bus driver who tapped his fingers against the steering wheels. 

The only thing the voice left behind was a white card with location written on it: Seoul High School, Music Class 220. 11:23 p.m. 

When I looked up from the car, I realized the bus has stopped in front of the Seoul High School. I looked at my watch and the time read 11:11 p.m. but just few minutes ago it was barely turning 5 p.m. 

Smell of death hit me once againg and I felt intense fire burning within me. Light began to form slowly at the tip of my fingers. 

It has been more than ten years since I last felt the unusual power growing inisde me. I saw the light glowing brighter as anger and the smell of death urged me on. Soon the light would engulf me and turn everything into ashes, like 13 years ago. 

Fire.  

With a crashing sound, one of the classroom in the 2nd floor was envloped in fire. Fire that has started out of nowhere quickly distinguished and left the room charcoal black. I looked down at my hands and there was not a single trace of light left. With fire gone just like that, the smell of death disappeared. 

"I know you. 13 years ago. You're that little kid who turned all of the Blood Hunters into ashes. But want to hear something funny? Monsters don't die. Nobody can kill the Monsters, but you did." He was tall and had a deep voice filled with hatred. I couldn't move but this time it was because the tall guy's calloused hands were wrapped around my neck. I couldn't breathe and the mysterious guy standing in front of me pushed me against the closed school gate and something about his eyes shouted danger. It was burning with rage. His hands that were wraped around my neck slowly turned into fire and I could feel pain burning through my neck. 

"Park Chanyeol. Remeber that name and don't ever get in my sight again. Next time, I will kill you." 

But his eyes shifted just slightly, so minimal that other people wouldn't have noticed, but I did. 

Eyes can't lie but Park Chanyeol was. 

Boom 

Another crash and fire. Shadow envloped the entire school area and when I could see again, he was no longer there and in front of me stood two guys with familiar scent.