Chapter 2

The Gold Coin

“Who are you?” The pixie asks, having waken up from her full day slumber.

 

“Your new owner, apparently.” Seulgi replies.

 

The pixie sits up, and stares at Seulgi in curiosity. “I don’t think I’ll like you too much.” The pixie says. Seulgi groans internally and rolls her eyes, “This is my coin, pixie. And believe me, I’m using it the first opportunity I get.”

 

——————————————————————

 

She doesn’t. She keeps the coin, tucked safely away into the deepest recesses of her pouch, determined to never spend it. As much as Seulgi is loathed to admit, the pixie is really nice to have around. It might be (okay, it mainly is) because of the lack of companionship she's suffered since forever - a job as a wandering traveller never got her many long term friends - and she might also have gotten a little, just a little, soft for the pixie.

 

The first time the pixie and her talked, she introduced herself as Irene. A beautiful name, Seulgi thought, but she kept that to herself. Best the pixie not think she was weird. 

 

Irene told her that she was, just like the shopkeeper said, the smallest pixie of her kind, and her treasure was that one gold coin Seulgi had received. So bonded were the two that Irene would never let anyone take the coin out of her sight. The loyalty was commendable, Seulgi thought, and cute in an pixieish way. She knew of other pixie's who just left their treasure in search of greater ones, and there was no doubt there was better treasure than the gold coin Irene currently held tightly against her chest. Heck, there was better treasure in her purse right now. Of course, Seulgi didn't say that out. She had grown a slight liking to Irene, and was certain so had the pixie, from the way her eyes lit up when Seulgi gently called her name to inform her dinner was ready, to the way she snuggled into Seulgi so readily when she was sleepy. It might have warmed her heart a little, and Seulgi was happy to have her.

 

—————————————————————

 

It was Christmas. Christmas was, normally, not a holiday Seulgi would celebrate - after all, who was she to celebrate it with? Wandering travellers had no friends. But this year, she had Irene. And she was planning a surprise for the small pixie - so maybe she had grown much closer with the pixie and found her antics adorable - but it was mainly out of the goodness of her heart, and nothing else. 

 

Apparently, during one of their many late night talks, Irene had said she craved red velvet cake. There wasn't any in the town they were in, or the next town they visited, and Irene was getting more and more pouty and whiny with each passing day. Not that Seulgi was complaining, of course, pouty Irene was literally the cutest thing she had ever seen and made her heart beat in a thousand different ways at the same time. 

 

But it still hurt Seulgi each time she saw Irene's dejected face when the cake shop claimed "Nope, no red velvet cake here." Finally, at the 6th cake shop, Seulgi had grabbed some cake mix and red velvet flavouring from the store when Irene was snuggled into her jacket pocket, all comfy and tired after eating 3 different chocolate cakes ("But I still want red velvet..." She had whined, and Seulgi decided that it was time for her to play Santa Claus.).

 

To make it even better, Wendy, the best baker in the world, lived at the next town they were visiting, and she could borrow her baking tools. Seulgi smiled to herself. It was going to be perfect.

 

As per usual, Irene didn't give two s about how Seulgi felt, and she flopped over on her coin, mumbled some gibberish, and continued sleeping.

 

Seulgi wondered how she slept so much and was still so short.