Chapter 1

The Gold Coin

“No, no, you don’t get it, I just want the coin?” Seulgi huffs in exasperation.

 

“You are the one who doesn’t get it, miss. It’s a package deal.” The shopkeeper replies for the nth time.

 

Seulgi sighs. She’s been at this for the past 5 minutes, and thank the gods there isn’t a queue behind her or she would have been stared to death already. She looks at the coin that the shopkeeper had handed her, and examines the… pixie? hugging the coin tightly. It’s quite cute, she thinks, apart from the rather obvious fact that the coin is hers, and that the pixie had no business whatsoever hugging it.

 

She looks back at the shopkeeper. This time, he sighs, and Seulgi thinks she’s finally going to get another coin, one without an pixie this time, when the shopkeeper launches into an explanation, “Look miss, the pixie comes with the coin. It’s just like that - you know how every pixie protects her treasure with her life? Well, the coin is this pixie’s treasure, and there’s no way you’re going to pluck it away from her, unless you are willing to kill the innocent creature. If you can, that is, you know how powerful pixie’s can be.”

 

“I thought pixie’s were human sized.” Seulgi replies stubbornly. “She’s the smallest of her kind, apparently. Told me that when I asked her one day. Look, just take her, that’s the only gold coin I have now, and you need the change.” The shopkeeper says. “Also, she’s really nice when she’s awake. Friendly, amiable, and if you look closely, she’s actually really pretty, just like you, miss.”

 

“Flattery isn’t going to get you anywhere.” Seulgi curtly replies. She stares closer at the sleeping pixie’s fece. Yes, she decides, the pixie is pretty, ridiculously so, but still….

 

“I’ll throw in one more silver coin, and that’s that.” The shopkeeper says. “Alright.” Seulgi concedes, and pockets the silver coin, still cradling the gold one in her hands as she walks out of the store. ‘Whatever am I to do with you, little pixie?’ she thinks. The pixie, apparently, doesn’t give two s about anything, and flops around on her back, lies face down on her coin, and continues snoring.

 

Seulgi sighs. This can't end well.