Chapter 7

Lovesick Fools

 

Wendy ends up not making a move that night, and neither does Joy.

 

Call her a coward, but Wendy is terrified to ruin things with Joy. However, she really should’ve seen this coming.

 

Not even two weeks after the night Nayoung and Sejeong get together, Wendy finds herself stuck in an elevator with Joy. It’s the elevator at Yerin’s apartment, so Wendy suspected it to be SinB’s meddling, but when she called the younger girl, SinB had been genuinely worried to hear that Wendy and Joy are stuck in an elevator.

 

After a short phone call and a quick promise to get them out, Wendy finds herself trapped in a small space with Joy. Normally, Joy is the first person Wendy would choose to be stuck somewhere with, but today Wendy and Joy were stopping by Yerin’s after Joy dragged Wendy out for a run. That’s right, Wendy is stuck in an elevator with Joy, who’s wearing tight shorts and a tank top with a messy ponytail and a sheen of sweat over her skin. Basically, Wendy is too gay for this, and the small space is not helping.

 

“Hey, are you okay?”

 

Wendy snaps out of her thoughts and realizes Joy has stepped closer to her out concern. She gulps nervously and quickly nods her head.

 

“Yeah, just wondering how long until we get out,” Wendy replies with an awkward laugh.

 

Joy smiles at her, and Wendy has to wonder what kind of lab made someone so beautiful.

 

“I’m sure not too long,” Joy tells her, “especially since SinB knows we’re stuck already.”

 

“That’s true,” Wendy nods then adds without thinking, “It’s a good thing she didn’t plan this.”

 

Joy tilts her head curiously and asks, “Why would SinB plan this?”

 

Realizing what she’s done, Wendy goes into full panic mode and stammers, “O-oh w-well, you know SinB! She’s always such a prankster!” Wendy forces a laugh and then wants to hit herself for how uncomfortable she sounds.

 

“That’s true,” Joy says.

 

Wendy thinks she’s in the clear, until Joy walks closer to her. She thinks she’s going to just about faint when Joy is barely a foot away from her, placing a warm hand to Wendy’s forehead.

 

“W-whatcha doing?” Wendy asks.

 

“You look flushed,” Joy explains. “Making sure you weren’t sick.” She regards Wendy for a long moment then says, “Can I ask you a question, Seungwan?”

 

Startled by the use of her first name, Wendy just nods.

 

“Are you mad at me?”

 

Wendy immediately balks at the question. Almost tripping over herself, she quickly says, “What? No! Of course not. Why would I be?”

 

“I… don’t know,” Joy says, frowning slightly. “You’ve just felt distant lately.”

 

Wendy doesn’t say anything, not when Joy is right. Ever since that night Nayoung and Sejeong got together, Wendy has very subtly avoided Joy. To an outsider’s point of view, namely SinB and Nayoung, it would look like Wendy still spent a lot of time with Joy, but Wendy had slowly and deliberately been spending less time with Joy. Wendy figures if they aren’t as close when Joy decides to date soemone, it’ll hurt less.

 

“Are you sure I haven’t done anything?”

 

Joy sounds so worried that Wendy almost doesn’t notice the fact that Joy now has both hands on her shoulders. Almost.

 

“I’ve just been busy,” Wendy lies.

 

Joy, who is no idiot, doesn’t believe her and replies, “Try again.”

 

“It’s just a personal problem,” Wendy says, purposely being vague.

 

However this does nothing but encourage Joy to say, “I want to help.”

 

“You can’t.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“You can’t help me.”

 

“I can’t help you if you don’t tell me. Why can’t I help?”

 

“Because it’s you!” Wendy shouts, losing her patience. She immediately regrets her words when Joy recoils, stumbling back a few steps. “Wait, Joy.” Wendy reaches out, but Joy turns away.

 

“Telling me to get lost would’ve been a nicer way to say you don’t want to be friends anymore,” Joy says icily.

 

“No, Joy, it isn’t like that,” Wendy tells her, chancing a hand on her shoulder. Wendy barely manages to hold back her flinch when Joy turns to her with a glare harsh enough to make Wendy feel like she’s staring at the gate to hell. “Joy, I just–”

 

“Hate me? Think I’m annoying?” Joy cuts her off ruthlessly. “Just say it, Wendy. Tell me how you really feel.”

 

“I love you, you idiot!” Wendy yells in frustration.

 

For possibly the first time in their entire friendship, Wendy sees Joy knocked off balance. Joy stares at her with wide eyes, mouth slightly open.

 

“I love you,” Wendy repeats, softer this time. “I’ve loved you, but I was so scared–”

 

Wendy is cut off by Joy again, but this time it’s by Joy’s lips on her own. She immediately melts into the kiss, hands going to hold Joy’s hips to ground herself. Wendy feels dizzy and warm as she kisses Joy. Joy pulls away slightly, but Wendy pulls her back in, only to jump away by a sharp wolf whistle.

 

Wendy stumbles away from her, turning to the now open elevator doors. SinB, Yerin, Nayoung, and Sejeong all stare at them with wide grins on their face.

 

Before Wendy can even think of an excuse, SinB turns to Nayoung and says, “You owe coffee every day for two weeks.”

 

Nayoung playfully glares at Wendy and says, “You really couldn’t have waited two more weeks?”

 

Wendy laughs breathlessly and can’t help the way her smile grows when Joy presses a soft kiss to the side of her head.

 

“I’ll pay for one week,” Wendy tells Nayoung.

 

“Wow, am I an awesome matchmaker or what?” SinB brags.

 

“You’re alright,” Joy replies with a smirk.

 

“You hear that, Wendy?” SinB says. “Your girlfriend says I’m alright.”

 

“You’re all pretty alright,” Wendy amends, laughing when everyone starts talking over each other about how they’re better than pretty alright. She steps off the elevator with Joy and joins the group, finally feeling at ease.

 


A/N: This is the end for this story! Sorry for the somewhat abrupt ending, but I really had no idea where this story was going, so I figured it'd be better to end it sooner than later. Thanks to everyone for supporting. Please keep an eye out for my future stories with these ships.