Chapter 4

Lovesick Fools

 

SinB convinces them to go to a bar.

 

It doesn’t take nearly as much persuasion as she’d expected because Yerin and Joy love going out, and when they both want something, it’s hard to tell them no. Sejeong, Wendy, and Nayoung put up a good fight, complaining and whining about being tired, but then they lose Wendy when Joy whispers something to her. It becomes a four-to-two situation with SinB happily calling up two cabs for everyone.

 

Nayoung and Wendy end up in one cab with SinB while the other three go in the other.

 

“Here’s what will happen at the bar,” SinB says, squished between Nayoung and Wendy. “The two of you will either consume enough alcohol that you’ll confess, or enough people will hit on Sejeong and Joy for you to confess.”

 

“You’re horrible at this,” Nayoung tells her.

 

SinB grins and replies, “No, I’m not. I got Sejeong checking out your , and it’s not even nine.”

 

“She what?” Nayoung sputters, blushing as her hands subconsciously wrap around her hips.

 

“I saw her too,” Wendy confirms with an amused nod. “I thought I’d have to get her a bucket for all that drool.” She high-fives a cackling SinB while Nayoung turns an even darker shade of red. She reaches over SinB to hold Nayoung’s hand and says, “This is a good thing, remember? At least now you know she thinks you’re hot.”

 

“Thinking someone’s hot and wanting to date them are two different things,” Nayoung points out, but she squeezes Wendy’s hand with a small smile nonetheless. “By the way, what did Joy say to you to convince you to go?”

 

“Ahh,” Wendy stalled, feeling her own cheeks turn red. She pulls her hand away, so she can awkwardly fiddle with her shirt. “It was nothing.”

 

“Nothing?” SinB repeats, tone making it clear she did not believe that in the least. “Nothing doesn’t make you look like your face is a tomato.”

 

Nayoung chuckles while Wendy pinches SinB’s thigh, making the younger girl squeak.

 

“Don’t worry about it,” Wendy tells them sternly, trying to put as much authority as she could into her tone. She was older than them, and while she was never one to really put much stock into the whole age thing, she wasn’t above using it for her own good. “What we should be talking about instead is how we’re going to get Sejeong into paying for all of our drinks.”

 

“I knew we were friends for a reason,” SinB grins. “Even under all the goody-two shoes attitude, there is a devil inside you, Son.”

 

On the other hand, Nayoung frowns and asks, “Why Sejeong?”

 

“While I would say you two are the easiest to get to pay,” SinB says, earning herself twin slaps on either side of her, “tricking either of you two makes a person feel too guilty. That leaves Sejeong. I’d admit I can be easy too, but Sejeong really just leaves herself wide open for it.”

 

“She’s not dumb,” Nayoung feels the need to say.

 

“No one said Sejeong is dumb,” SinB rolls her eyes. “She’s annoyingly smart, and we all know it, but she’s also got a softie heart like Seungwan here, but she’s enough of a little to make a person not feel guilty for using it against her.”

 

“Don’t call me Seungwan!” Wendy protests but nonetheless agrees with SinB’s explanation.

 

“How exactly do you trick Sejeong into paying for all of our drinks?” Nayoung asks as the cab pulls up to the bar.

 

SinB smirks, eyes lighting up with mischief. “Watch me.”

 

Nayoung doesn’t watch her because she’s talking to Joy about a TV show, but she sees out of the corner of her eyes SinB saying something into Sejeong’s ear that has the older girl rapidly nodding and handing over her card to the bartender. While genuinely curious, Nayoung figures she’s better off not knowing what goes on in SinB’s devious mind.

 

“Don’t worry, Yerin’s got SinB on a tight leash.”

 

Nayoung blinks in surprise, looking back to Joy who is laughing slightly. She flushes in embarrassment and quickly says, “What? I know SinB wouldn’t do anything with Sejeong, and even if she did, why would I care if it’s with Sejeong?”

 

“Why would you care?” Joy fires back, a coy smirk pulling at the corner of her lips. She turns around and grabs two beer bottles. She hands one to Nayoung while taking a drink out of her own. “I’m gonna go find Wendy. Go talk to your girlfriend.”

 

Joy walks away and as she does, Nayoung calls out, “She’s not my girlfriend!”

 

“Who’s not your girlfriend?”

 

Nayoung jumps and spins around. She expects it to be SinB or Sejeong, even Yerin, but instead of any of them, there’s a stranger instead. She’s an inch or two shorter than Nayoung with a confident smile and warm eyes.

 

“I don’t have a girlfriend,” Nayoung says, unsure of what else to say, then drinks half of her beer in one go out of nervousness.

 

The stranger laughs and says, “Well, this makes hitting on you a lot less awkward then.” She leans in close, and Nayoung stiffens as hot air hits her cheek when the strangers whispers, “I’m Bona.”

 

“Nayoung.”

 

Bona smiles again, and Nayoung suddenly realizes how attractive the other woman is.

 

“So, who are you here with tonight, Nayoung?” Bona asks, leaning just enough so she’s in Nayoung’s space but not uncomfortably so.

 

“Some friends,” Nayoung replies, glancing around to see where said friends are. Joy and Yerin are now out on the dance floor causing a scene while SinB and Wendy pretend they don’t know them from a booth they’re sitting at. Strangely, as much as Nayoung looks around, she can’t find Sejeong. Sejeong, the person Nayoung is supposed to be confessing to, but also the person who’s only ever treated Nayoung as a friend over the years. Maybe it's time to pass the time with something other than pining.

 

Draining the rest of her beer, Nayoung turns back to Bona and teases, “But I don’t think that’s the question you really wanted to ask me.”

 

Bona chuckles and takes a sip from a fancy-looking cocktail. She tilts her head and smirks. “You’re right,” Bona admits freely, “that wasn’t what I wanted to ask you. I’m much more interested in you than your friends.”

 

Nayoung grins at her words, cheeks pinking up at the implicit compliment. She knows she isn't too shabby in the looks department, but it's rare for someone to notice her. She accepts the shot of vodka Bona slides over to her, and the two cheers before downing them with pinched faces.

 

“What do you want to know?” Nayoung asks, purposely making her voice huskier than normal. She's feeling warm and buzzed, confident from the alcohol. “Or rather, what should I tell you?”

 

“Tell me you’ll kiss me tonight,” Bona says boldly, and Nayoung widens her eyes in surprise, not expecting that at all. Bona giggles at Nayoung’s expression and reassures, “I don’t want you to feel like you have to kiss me now, but I certainly won’t be opposed.”

 

Nayoung grins and lets Bona buy her a two more shots. They take them with thirty minutes in between, minutes filled with flirting and laughter.

 

“To be honest,” Bona says, words slurred, “my friends bet me free drinks the next time we go out if I could get you to kiss me by the end of the night.”

 

Immediately, Nayoung deflates and tries to not sound offended as she says, “Oh, I get it. The bet was to try to get the loser to kiss you, right?”

 

“What? No!” Bona exclaims. She quickly grabs Nayoung’s hand and says, “They didn’t think I’d be able to get someone as hot as you to kiss me. I’m kind of bad at flirting, but they’re trying to get me to be better.”

 

“Bad at flirting?” Nayoung laughs incredulously. “You could’ve fooled me. You certainly had me.”

 

“Oh really?” Bona asks, eyes lighting up. “Do I still have you?”

 

One kiss can’t hurt, right? It’s been so long since Nayoung’s been hit on by someone who isn’t sleazy or desperate or drunk or Sejeong when she’s in the mood, and this time it’s a gorgeous woman who isn’t even looking for anything serious. She finds Nayoung attractive, hot enough to potentially turn her down. Nayoung can’t remember the last time someone not her friends told her she’s hot. Before she can think her way, Nayoung cups Bona’s face and kisses her.

 

It isn’t dirty, but it certainly isn’t chaste. Nayoung kisses Bona soft then harder, smiling when the other woman melts against her. She pulls away before it can go further and laughs when Bona whines.

 

“For your free drinks,” Nayoung tells her with a smirk.

 

Bona laughs breathlessly and asks, “Can I interest you in one of those free drinks?”

 

“Not tonight,” Nayoung shakes her head. Maybe another time, if she ever manages to get over her impossible crush on Sejeong. “Thanks for this though. It was fun.”

 

“Oooo, this is definitely you saying good-bye,” Bona teases. “Here,” she grabs Nayoung’s hand and pulls a pens out of her purse, “I’ll write my number if you ever change your mind.” She scribbles a string of numbers before pressing one last kiss to Nayoung’s cheek. She waves bye and walks back to a huge group of girls who are all hollering excitedly.

 

Nayoung laughs at the sight and turns back to the bar, looking for the bartender to see if she could get another beer. As she waits for her turn, she feels someone come stand next to her. Nayoung turns, unsure of who to expect after Bona, but this time it’s someone she knows well.

 

“Hi,” Nayoung says to Sejeong brightly. “How’s your night going?”

 

Sejeong stares her with a slight frown that borders on a glare. She doesn’t say anything for a long moment, but once Nayoung shifts uncomfortably, Sejeong says, “It’s fine, not going as well as yours is.”

 

“What do you mean?” Nayoung asks.

 

“What do I mean?” Sejeong scoffs, and Nayoung is taken aback by how angry she sounds. Sejeong reaches out and grabs Nayoung’s hand. She waves it in Nayoung’s face, saying, “I’m talking about that woman who draped herself all over you.”

 

Nayoung takes back her hand, moving so fast that it's like Sejeong is a fire that burned her. She looks at Sejeong, confused and hurt and overall just overwhelmed. “She didn’t drape herself over me,” Nayoung snaps, “but even if she did? What’s wrong with that?”

 

“Oh come on, Nayoung,” Sejeong says patronizingly, “we both know she was only interested in one thing and of all the people, she chose you.”

 

“Is that how you see me?” Nayoung aks. She turns away from Sejeong as she fiddles with her empty beer bottle. She keeps her voice low, but she can’t help the fury that seeps into her words. This is dealing with insecurities Nayoung has had for years, and to hear it coming from Sejeong of all people hurts more than she cares to admit.  “Not even attractive enough for just a quick ?”

 

“I didn’t say that,” Sejeong snaps, “but we both know you aren’t interested in casual .”

 

“How would you know?” Nayoung counters. “Maybe I am! Just because you’d rather choke on nails than sleep with me doesn’t mean other people feel that way!”

 

“What?” Sejeong chokes out, looking like she’s just been slapped. “I– why do you think that?”

 

Realizing what she just said, Nayoung quickly shakes her head and pushes away from the bar with shaky legs and trembling fingers. “Forget it,” Nayoung mumbles. She didn’t think alcohol could’ve loosened her lips enough to spill a secret she’s had for so long, but here she is. Basically confessing her jealousy to Sejeong.

 

“No,” Sejeong says, grabbing Nayoung by the arms.

 

“Sejeong, just let me go!” Nayoung yells.

 

There’s a pause, and then Nayoung realizes the entire bar is in silence. Nayoung squeezes her eyes shut in embarrassment and clenches her hands into white-knuckled fists. When she opens her eyes, Sejeong is looking like Nayoung just broke her heart, and it makes Nayoung want to laugh. She isn’t sure if she’s finally snapped or if it’s the alcohol lowering her inhibitions, but Nayoung feels it’s only right for Sejeong to feel the way Nayoung has for years.

 

Nayoung blinks hazily, and suddenly SinB and Wendy are on either side of her, holding her up. She isn’t sure when they got there, but they are both looking at her with such pity that Nayoung suddenly feels her eyes well up with tears. She’s always been an emotional, volatile drunk.

 

“Come on,” SinB says softly, “let’s get you home.”

 

Head hung low, Nayoung lets the two of them lead her out of the bar, barely sparing another glance at Sejeong.

 


A/N: I'm so sorry it's been so long since I've updated! I honestly tried to write over break, but I had no idea where to go with this story. Then school started and I've been overwhelmed since. Again, I apologize, but I will try to update more regularly now. 

This chapter was very Najeong heavy, sorry to my sinrin and wenjoy shippers, but this is just what happened. I will include the other two ships more in the next chapters. Also, I didn't intend for this to be angsty, but it's Najeong, and if there's anything I've learned, Najeong is angsty af. 

Thanks for being so patient and reading! Follow me on twitter @lostgirl_23 if you'd like. I sometimes post polls about stories on there and tweet when I update.