Chapter 6

Lovesick Fools

 

“Do you want coffee or anything?”

 

Sejeong smiles nervously and gives a quick nod. “Sure, I’ll take a tea.”

 

Nayoung says nothing as she moves to set a kettle on the stove and grabs the tea from her pantry. Her heart aches a little as she grabs a packet green tea for herself and the medicinal herbal tea she keeps specifically for Sejeong. Sighing to herself, Nayoung busies herself with grabbing to mugs and putting the tea bags in each. None of this can make Nayoung forget that she has Sejeong in her kitchen. Sejeong, who she’d practically confessed to a few nights ago while she’d been drunk and angry.

 

Noticing the odd silence, Nayoung turns around and startles when she realizes Sejeong is right behind her, barely a foot away.

 

“Sorry,” Sejeong says. “I tried calling your name twice, but you didn’t react.”

 

“It’s fine,” Nayoung replies curtly as she runs a hand through her hair.

 

Sejeong frowns and reaches out, but Nayoung flinches away. This only makes Sejeong’s frown become an ashamed grimace. Sejeong backs off, stepping away a few steps. She sighs and looks at Nayoung with solemn eyes. “We need to talk,” Sejeong says.

 

“I guess we should,” Nayoung agrees dully.

 

Sejeong bites back a growl of frustration and snaps, “Can you at least act like you care?”

 

“I’m tired of caring,” Nayoung retorts sharply, the anger in her voice is the first real emotion Sejeong has seen from her today aside from the surprise at her visit. “I’ve cared for over two years, Sejeong.”

 

“It’s that bad being my friend?” Sejeong can’t stop the hurt in her words as she stares at Nayoung in disbelief. She knows she can be a pain sometimes, but she never thought it bothered Nayoung this much.

 

“Of course it is!” Nayoung shouts, ignoring the tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. “It’s the worst thing loving your best friend who will never you love you back!”

 

Sejeong freezes at the words, staring incredulously at Nayoung. She quickly closes the gap between them, cupping Nayoung’s face with her hands. “What did you say?” Sejeong asks breathlessly. “You… you love me?”

 

“See, you didn’t even know,” Nayoung says bitterly. “I was always just your friend, utterly unattractive and always platonic.”

 

“You must be kidding me,” Sejeong says without thinking.

 

Nayoung pushes her away angrily and says, “What, it’s so pathetic for me to think I could have you?”

 

“W-what?” Sejeong sputters. “No, no, no. Of course not!”

 

Nayoung frowns at her, eyebrows furrowing. “Then what are you talking about?”

 

“We’re idiots,” Sejeong tells her firmly, and Nayoung just stares at her in outrage and confusion, unable to gather her thoughts properly to say something. “We’re idiots because we’ve been in love with each other all this time.”

 

The words send a shock through Nayoung’s system and she has to shake her head as if to clear her head to make sure she was hearing properly. “We?” Nayoung repeats, dumbfounded. “As in?”

 

“As in I’m love with you, Kim Nayoung,” Sejeong says.

 

“You’re in love with me,” Nayoung says like she can’t believe what’s happening. She blinks rapidly, fighting back tears, as she gently places her hands on Sejeong’s waist. “For how long?” Nayoung asks softly, embarrassed by how her voice cracks ever so slightly.

 

“I’m not really sure,” Sejeong admits, brushing back Nayoung’s hair. “It wasn’t long after we met. I just– I looked at you one day, and I realized I never wanted to be without you.” She smiles shyly up at Nayoung and asks, “And you? When did you know?”

 

“Mine’s way more embarrassing,” Nayoung tells her but grins nonetheless. “I’m pretty sure I fell in love the moment we met, but that might’ve just been the hot coffee you spilled on me.”

 

Sejeong tilts her head back and lets out a loud laugh that has Nayoung smiling like a fool and tightening her hold on her. When Sejeong finishes laughing, she’s struck by how close she is to Nayoung. She her lips and watches as Nayoung’s eyes are drawn to the movement. Sejeong takes a shuddering breath and leans in. She feels Nayoung moves to meet her, but just as their lips are about to meet, the kettle whistles.

 

Sejeong jumps away at the unexpected, high-pitched noise. She blinks dazedly as Nayoung sighs and goes to move turn the stove off. Sejeong watches as Nayoung finishes making the tea that she had completely forgotten about. When Nayoung turns back around with two mugs in her hands, she’s wearing this little smirk.

 

“Tea?” Nayoung offers teasingly.

 

Sejeong chuckles a little and shakes her head. She walks back toward her and moves the mugs back to the counter.

 

“I think the tea can wait,” Sejeong tells her. She wraps her arms around Nayoung’s neck and pulls her down into a kiss. Sejeong can’t help but moan a little into the kiss. She’d be lying if she said she hasn’t been fantasizing about this for almost two years. She tugs Nayoung closer, melting at the way Nayoung’s lips feel against her own.

 

Just as Nayoung’s hands slip under Sejeong’s shirt, the doorbell rings. For the second time in ten minutes, Sejeong startles away from Nayoung, much to Nayoung’s frustration. While Sejeong tries to fix her flustered appearance, tugging at her shirt and running a hand through her hair, Nayoung goes to answer the door.

 

However, when Nayoung opens the door, most of her annoyance fades away when she realizes it’s SinB and Wendy, carrying pizza and ice cream and wine.

 

SinB stares at her with furrowed brows before remarking slowly, “You look different.”

 

“Good different,” Wendy amends, sending SinB a quick glare.

 

“Yeah, uhhh,” Nayoung stammers, not sure what to say, but then she sees SinB and Wendy’s eyes go wide. She glances over her shoulder to see Sejeong hovering awkwardly a few feet away, still looking flushed and recently kissed. Nayoung looks back to SinB and Wendy, whose eyes are rapidly flicking back and forth between Nayoung and Sejeong.

 

“Are we… interrupting something?” Wendy asks carefully, somewhere between hopeful and worried.

 

Nayoung opens then closes it. She pressed her lips together as she tries to figure out what to say. After a moment, Nayoung tells them, “I don’t need SinB’s help anymore.”

 

While Sejeong radiates confusion at the words, Nayoung sees the way the two other women understand the vague sentence immediately.

 

“Are you serious?” SinB cheers. She launches herself at Nayoung, hugging her tightly, and Wendy soon joins with excited squealing. “You finally pulled your head out of your , Kim Nayoung!” SinB hollers, jumping up and down as she hugs her. Nayoung wants to be annoyed at the dramatics, but she’s touched by just how happy SinB and Wendy are for her, so she laughs and hugs them back.

 

Eventually, they let go of her, both beaming up at her. Wendy looks over Nayoung’s shoulder again and asks, “Should we go?”

 

“No,” Nayoung says firmly. “I’ve ignored you all weekend. The least I can do is let you me for a few hours.”

 

Wendy blushes at the words, but SinB laughs herself breathless. Nayoung looks to where Sejeong still hovers, but she no longer looks awkward and instead is smiling warmly at her.

 

“You should invite Joy and Yerin,” Sejeong says, joining in the conversation as Wendy and SinB walk in. “They’re not doing anything.”

 

“Aye aye, captain,” SinB says, giving her a mocking salute. She slips her phone out of her back pocket and sends off a quick text while Wendy goes the more personal route of giving Joy a call. SinB rolls her eyes at the dopey smile on Wendy’s face as she talks and slings an arm around Sejeong’s shoulder. The two of them walk away, Sejeong laughing loudly at whatever SinB is saying.

 

Meanwhile, Nayoung waits for Wendy to get off the phone and when does, Nayoung teasingly points out, “You’re the only one without a girlfriend now.”

 

Wendy, predictably, blushes and retorts, “I’m perfectly fine with being single.”

 

“That stupid grin on your face says otherwise,” Nayoung laughs.

 

SinB pokes her head out from the living room and yells, “Wendy, Nayoung, get your butts in here! Sejeong won’t let me start a movie until you get here.”

 

Wendy takes the chance to escape the conversation and hurries over to the living room. Nayoung knows better than to push her, so she lets her go. As she walks into her living room, SinB is being crushed under the combined weights of both Sejeong and Wendy.

 

“I was gone for like two seconds,” Nayoung says incredulously.

 

“Just teaching the youngest some respect,” Sejeong explains smugly.

 

SinB wriggles and whines, “This isn’t respect! This is bullying!”

 

Suddenly, Sejeong jumps off SinB, and Nayoung snorts when she realizes SinB’s phone is ringing in her back pocket with the vibration obviously catching Sejeong off guard. SinB laughs and taunts Sejeong, making Sejeong grab a pillow and whack her in the face.

 

Nayoung watches as Wendy tries to play mediator between the two, smiling at the three doofs. She makes a mental note to call the jellyfishes later to let them know about her very eventful weekend. Then Nayoung smirks as she looks to Wendy, hoping to have even more news to tell them by the end of the night.

 


A/N: A Najeong heavy chapter, but it's hard to write all the ships in one chapter, especially when they aren't all together. The next chapter will be more focused on Wenjoy with some Najeong and Sinrin mixed in. Thanks for reading!