Chapter 3

Lovesick Fools

 

Wear your leather pants.

 

Wendy laughs when she reads the first thing on Nayoung’s to-do list, but she still obediently drives the two of them to Nayoung’s apartment. She keeps the car running while Nayoung goes in to change and grab a few other things that are on her list from SinB. While she waits, Wendy absently looks over her own list.

 

  1. Wear that really soft blue sweater you have.

  2. Buy a chocolate cake for dessert.

  3. Make sure Nayoung doesn’t eat the cake before you get here.

  4. When you walk in, say hi to Joy first!!

  5. Be extra cute and clingy (AKA yourself) :)

  6. Oh also be super chivalrous– Joy gets crazy heart eyes when you are

 

Folding the list and tucking it into her pocket, Wendy can only smile and shake her head. SinB is such a cute kid for trying so hard for them. While Wendy is fairly sure she will not magically end up as Joy’s girlfriend at the end of the night, she appreciates the effort.

 

The car door opens. Nayoung slips in, and Wendy can’t help but say, “Changing was a good call.” Nayoung has always had a body that Wendy envies, and she’s reminded of this as she takes in Nayoung’s long legs, emphasized by skintight leather.

 

Nayoung blushes cutely and laughs awkwardly. Then like the good kid she is, she puts her seat belt back on. “I’m just doing this, so SinB won’t yell at me later,” Nayoung says, but Wendy knows a tiny part of her is hoping for a miracle tonight just like her.

 

After stopping by her own place to change, Wendy stops by the store and picks up the cake. She ends up having to scold Nayoung, just as SinB predicted, when the younger girl tries to steal some icing off the cake. She chuckles to herself while Nayoung pouts on their way to SinB’s apartment. When they get there, Nayoung sighs deeply, and Wendy places her hand on her shoulder consolingly.

 

“It can’t turn out too badly, right?” Nayoung asks.

 

Wendy tries not to grimace as she lies, “Right.”

 

With another sigh from Nayoung, they get out of the car and walk up to SinB’s apartment with the mood surrounding them spelling out death. While Wendy doesn’t want to be too negative, this almost felt like some sort of cruel, futile hope.

 

Since Wendy is holding the cake, Nayoung rings the doorbell. When SinB opens the door, she takes one look at them and says, “Please tell me you’re breathing.”

 

“No, we’re actually upright corpses,” Nayoung sasses.

 

Wendy snorts, and SinB smiles.

 

“It’s going to be fine,” SinB tells them, stressing the last word and raising her eyebrows at them. “Trust me, okay?” SinB opens the door wider to let them in.

 

As Wendy walks in, she feels the need to point out, “The last time you told any of us to trust you, Sejeong ended up in a fountain inebriated.”

 

“I looked away from her for two seconds!” SinB protests. “Besides, Sejeong-duty is technically Nayoung’s job.”

 

Nayoung rolls her eyes but says nothing. She immediately goes to where Sejeong is sitting in an armchair, and Wendy bites her lip to try not to smile when Nayoung wraps her arms around Sejeong and rests her head against hers. Sejeong looks annoyed at the sudden contact, but her face immediately softens when she realizes it’s Nayoung. Wendy understands now what SinB means when she says Sejeong and Nayoung look at each other like there’s no one else in the world.

 

“Are you okay?” Sejeong asks quietly, letting Nayoung slump against her with her arms still around her and Nayoung’s face half-buried in her neck. “Nayoung?”

 

“I’m tired,” Nayoung murmurs, and it occurs to Wendy this might be something from Nayoung’s to-do list. She absently wonders what Nayoung’s list looks like in comparison to hers.

 

Tearing her gaze away from the cuddling couple, Wendy goes to fulfill her own list. She wanders into the kitchen with the cake where SinB has been put to work cutting peppers while Yerin and Joy fuss over the pork. Wendy quietly puts the cake in the fridge before walking up to Joy and poking her in the cheek.

 

Joy blinks in surprise before a gorgeous smile blossoms on her face. “Hey, you. How was it hanging out with the devil and the puppy?”

 

“I better be the puppy,” SinB playfully snarks, and Joy laughingly retorts, “As if Kim Nayoung will ever be the devil.”

 

“It was fun,” Wendy answers honestly, catching a flash of surprise on SinB’s face. For some reason, SinB still finds it surprising that Wendy and Nayoung actually enjoy her company. Shrugging internally, Wendy asks, “How was hanging out with the beagles?”

 

Joy rolls her eyes and says, “Exhausting.”

 

Yerin gasps in mock outrage while SinB chortles at her girlfriend’s expense. Meanwhile, Wendy just smiles and gives Joy a quick hug. Joy’s eyes widen in surprise, but she smiles again and Wendy feels her cheeks heat up.

 

Clearing and stepping away from Joy, Wendy asks, “Anything I can help with?”

 

“Will you and Joy bring the plates and utensils to the living room?” Yerin asks with a charming eye smile.

 

Wendy nods and grabs some plates from the cabinet, thanking her lucky stars that Joy doesn’t have an eye smile like Yerin or Sejeong. If she did, Wendy’s not sure she would survive. It’s okay though. Joy manages to kill Wendy with her looks without the need of an eye smile.

 

When Wendy walks into the living room, she stops right at the entrance, making Joy bump into her and curse.

 

“Why’d you stop?” Joy asks, annoyed, but Wendy is too busy awing over the sight before her.

 

Sejeong and Nayoung had moved to the couch, and now they are lying together with Nayoung in Sejeong’s arm. Nayoung’s fluffy cheek is all squished up against Sejeong’s chest while Sejeong hums softly with her eyes closed and runs her fingers through Nayoung’s hair.

 

Wendy hands Joy the plates, ignoring the panic that spreads over Joy’s face as she tries to balance the plates, bowls, and utensils. Wendy takes out her phone and snaps a picture of the adorableness in front of her. She tries not to wince though when her camera makes a loud snap as it takes the picture.

 

Sejeong opens her eyes blearily in confusion while Nayoung snoozes on. Wendy quickly shoves her phone away before Sejeong can process what happened. That’s when she notices the corner of Nayoung’s lips curve upwards ever so slightly. So she is faking it, the little sneak. Wendy doesn’t give her enough credit apparently.

 

“Sorry,” Wendy remembers to say. She quickly turns around and takes the plates back from Joy who is looking thoroughly amused. Wendy laughs under her breath before going to set the plates down on the table. “We’re about to eat, so you might want to wake up Nayoung,” Wendy adds as Joy helps her set the table.

 

Sejeong hums her acknowledgement before calling softly, “Nayoung.”

 

Wendy has to bite her lip to stop from laughing when she hears Nayoung fake a sleepy “Hmm?” Shaking her head, Wendy finishes setting up the table and follows Joy back to the kitchen.

 

“I don’t know what you put on Nayoung’s list,” Wendy whispers to SinB as she walks into the kitchen, “but this really just might work.”

 

“List?” Joy repeats curiously.

 

Wendy grins and promises, “I’ll tell you later.”

 

“I’m holding you to that,” Joy replies with a quirked eyebrow.

 

The food is finished and plated beautifully, and Wendy compliments Yerin, knowing SinB most likely snuck bites of the food instead of arranging it. The four of them carry all of the food to the living room where Sejeong and Nayoung dragged themselves from the couch to the sitting in front of the table. Nayoung does the sleepy act really well, still cuddled into Sejeong’s side with her head resting on her shoulder.

 

“How was your lab, Sejeong?” SinB asks innocently after everyone starts eating.

 

Sejeong chokes on the wrap she just put in , causing Nayoung to look at her curiously. Sejeong forces herself to swallow the wrap after a few bites and glares at SinB as she answers stiffly, “It was fine.”

 

“You didn’t get in trouble for being late, did you?” SinB adds, and Wendy watches in amusement that if looks could kill Sejeong would have SinB six feet under.

 

“You were late?” Nayoung asks, but Wendy knows she’s just asking to confirm what SinB told them earlier.

 

“Just a few minutes,” Sejeong reassures her, but the tips of her ears are bright red and there’s a tremor in her voice that speaks of her nerves. “As long as I’m not late again, I’m fine.”

 

“How were you late? You said your class was near the coffee shop,” Nayoung says.

 

Wendy mentally applauds the girl for cornering Sejeong about her lie and was intrigued to see where this would go. Beside her, Joy looks just as intrigued, and the two of them share a secret smile of mutual amusement.

 

Sejeong stares down at her plate like her perilla leaf can give her the answer. After a pause that’s a beat too long, Sejeong plasters on her cutest, most heart-warming smile and says, “I got distracted by you, actually.” Just like that, the tables turn, and Nayoung is the one with a pretty blush. “I was wondering if it would be chilly this afternoon and debated if I should go back and give you my jacket to wear. I guess my thoughts got away from me.” Sejeong smiles again, and Wendy can see Nayoung visibly melt.

 

“Idiot,” Nayoung murmurs affectionately, “I would never fit your clothes.”

 

Wendy catches SinB looking ridiculously satisfied and shakes her head. It looks like everyone was ready to just admit their feelings tonight… Well, almost everyone. Wendy glances at Joy who, embarrassingly enough, catches her.

 

“Did you manage to study for your test next Wednesday?” Joy asks as she reaches out and seemingly absent-mindedly tucks Wendy’s hair behind her ear.

 

Wendy is now the one melting. Not only had Joy remembered when her test is, but the physical touch has Wendy feeling warm all over. She then remembers SinB’s list. Be super chivalrous.

 

“Yeah, SinB and Nayoung both have tests to study for too, so we actually got work done for a while,” Wendy answers. She smiles to reassure her before reaching out and getting Joy the bowl of peppers she’d been eying. “Here, I know you like them.” Wendy realizes SinB is more observant than she gives her credit for because Joy looks at her with soft eyes and say thanks.

 

After that, Wendy tries to be one step ahead of Joy and grab things for her before she can even ask. Each and every time, Joy smiles at her, and Wendy doesn’t remember ever feeling this giddy before. Maybe that one time Joy had fallen asleep cuddled next to her when they were watching a movie, but besides that, Wendy can’t recall. Joy isn’t the time to smile freely, so for her to smile at Wendy so often, Wendy feels like the luckiest person in the world.

 

Maybe Joy is just in a good mood… Joy certainly isn’t flirting with her like Sejeong and Nayoung are doing, judging by the looks they are throwing each other. Wendy wrinkles her nose when she sees Nayoung wink at Sejeong, a dirty smirk on her lips. They need to get a room. SinB and Yerin aren’t even that bad.

 

“How much you want to bet they’ll be together by the end of the night?”

 

Wendy jumps and turns, only to blink in surprise as her cheeks pink up. Without Wendy noticing, Joy has gotten very close, face just a few inches from her own. It takes Wendy a moment to process what Joy said, and when she does, Wendy chuckles.

 

“I’ve already seen too much and we’re only halfway through dinner,” Wendy whispers back. “We’ll be lucky if they make it to the end of the night.”

 

Joy giggles and leans her head on Wendy’s shoulder.

 

“What are you two giggling about?” Nayoung calls out, eyes narrowed like she knows they are talking about her.

 

Joy smiles at her, probably going for innocent but instead coming off as mischievous. “Don’t worry about it.”

 

“Aish, it’s never good when you say that,” Yerin sighs. “I remember the last time you told me that. The next day I found out you’d handed out flyers with my picture and name on them, trying to find me a boyfriend.”

 

SinB snorts into her drink, pulling it away so she doesn’t joke. Yerin rolls her eyes and bats SinB in the shoulder.

 

“This time you really don’t have to worry,” Joy promises, but she’s still unable to hide her glee.

 

Nayoung still looks suspicious when she excused herself to use the restroom. Both Wendy and SinB take great amusement in the fact that Sejeong watches her leave, eyes glued to Nayoung’s . The leather pants really had been a great call.

 

As soon as the restroom door clicks shut, SinB leans forward and asks Sejeong quietly, “Laying it on a little thick, don’t you think?”

 

Sejeong scoffs, but she blushes nonetheless. “Stop acting like you know how to get a girl,” Sejeong tells her.

 

“Hello,” SinB rolls her eyes as she reaches out and pinches one of Yerin’s cheek. Yerin, for her part, just looks exasperated and fond all at the same time and lets SinB. SinB wiggles Yerin’s cheek a little and says, “I do know how to get a girl, or have you suddenly forgotten my girlfriend, Yerin?”

 

Sejeong scowls and is about to say something when Wendy realizes… “Wait, so you’re trying to ask Nayoung out?”

 

Apparently Wendy is the only one who doesn’t know this because Sejeong blinks out her dumbly while SinB, Yerin, and Joy all avoid eye contact.

 

“Seriously?” Wendy pouts.

 

“Aw, don’t be like that,” Joy coos, wrapping her in a hug that almost has them forgiven. Almost. Sensing Wendy’s mood, Joy goes even further to lift her mood. “Seungwan,” Joy hums into Wendy’s ear, “I’ll make it up to you.”

 

Joy’s husky voice has Wendy go bright red, and Wendy just knows SinB is gonna pry it out of her later what Joy said to her. Is Wendy imagining it, or is there some innuendo in her voice? Ugh, Joy always sounds hot. It is impossible to tell if she’s being flirty.

 

“Alright, I’m over it,” Wendy squeaks, wrenching herself out of Joy’s embrace when she’d felt Joy’s hand brush a little too low down her back. She’s sure she looks like a tomato, but what is undoubtedly a joke on SinB’s lips is put to a stop as Nayoung comes back in.

 

Nayoung notices Wendy’s flush and quirks an eyebrow but blessedly says nothing.

 

Dinner passes quickly after that, but Wendy has a feeling that the night is just beginning.


A/N: I actually have no semblance of an actual plot for this story, so if there's anything you want to see or a way you want your ship to end up together, feel free to drop a comment and let me know.