- Payback Time

Because You're YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

*trigger warning - mention of

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Jiyong said about his mother being the only child, actually he was partially telling the truth.

 

His grandmother, Yisoo, was at a young age by a neighbor that was given the trust to keep an eye on her while her parents went for kinda like a business trip. That bastard left the district without caring to apologize or take the blame for his wrong doings, and Yisoo was left with her dignity and ity ripped away from her just like that.

 

Lost, ashamed.. Hurt, and hopeless.. The shine in her eyes faded as time went by, with her stomach getting bigger day by day. Her bestfriend, Kwon Haneul, was the one who stayed through her miseries and the one who insisted that the baby deserves to live. Love found its way into the two people's hearts, and marriage happened.

 

When the baby was born, it was a cute baby boy, Jaesang.. Yisoo had never treated the boy like her own, for he was the reminder of that useless excuse of a man who destroyed her life. And it became more obviously painful to the illegitimate child when Jiyong's mother was born. Always being compared to, and receiving poor treatment were an everyday's food to Jaesang -- but gladfully, he had never held any grudges towards his sister, instead he loves her very much like his own blood and flesh. 

 

Which was why he with no qualms, took Jiyong and Dami into his care after they were evicted from home by their own grandmother, his mother.. Jaesang was undeniably a rich guy, still is, and Youngbae had looked up to him for the man's independence when Youngbae was still living in the same neighborhood with the wealthy Kwons. As he grew up and eventually moved away to Seoul, Jiyong had told him via the mail what Jaesang truly does for a living -- because he's mysteriously wealthy at a young age although Jiyong's grandmother hated him, so there's no way she'll let him get any nearer to the family's fortunes..

 

Jaesang's a professional hacker, he hacks bank systems and transfers the money into his accounts. Sly like a fox, he never once got caught and his identity remained secret as the unknown most wanted criminal in most districts in South Korea. However life is like a wheel, you'll never be on top forever.. The police was finally able to trace Jaesang because of his carelessness. He had to move away to China and stay low for awhile until the coasts are clear, hence the siblings' sudden move to Seoul.

 

Jaesang had did his best to make sure that they'll be okay without him, buying the house they're currently living in, hacking the mall's system to get a decent position for Dami and 'securing' a place for Jiyong in Shindong High. He had made it clear that if there's anything they might need, money especially, just give him a call and it's settled. So after the fainting-at-the-cafeteria incident, Dami had called their uncle to help them cover the extra expenses because she, never in her life, will ever let Jiyong work again. It was initially Jiyong's request to not ask for their uncle's help, but unfortunately they no longer have any other choice.

 

It's not that he dislikes Jaesang.. Jiyong loves his uncle, and he truly did appreciate his kindness and care towards them. But, he clearly doesn't approve of his uncle's career and the source of money he provided their life with. It wasn't just because of the illegal earnings that caused his adoration for his uncle to decrease, but also because Jiyong preferred to live the life he earned by himself, by his own hardwork. He believed that you can't get what you want in an easy way.. Work for it, then only you deserve to own it..

 

 He's an independent person, and therefore he preferred to not talk much about his family background and his uncle, not because he was ashamed by Jaesang's status as an illegitimate child, no.. But because his uncle's a criminal who never showed any sign of regrets. 

 

Maybe you'd think Jiyong's making a big deal about the whole thing, but Youngbae understands him, and he respected his friend for his principles. Although.. There's one thing that Youngbae was actually trying to conclude..

 

Now that Jaesang had helped to supply the extra expenses to cover Dami's just-enough earnings, and Jiyong not being allowed to work anymore -- you should've been there when Dami scolded his ears off for doing injustice towards his own body.. Youngbae was there, and he enjoyed each second watching his bestfriend getting reprimanded by his sister who seldoms shows her fierce side. Youngbae had wished he had popcorns with him..

 

So, back to what he was saying, Jiyong's not working anymore, so there's no way that the younger might feel exhausted or sleepy at this moment. Which was strange, because since this morning and until this minute -- there's only a period and a half before they'll be able to go home -- Jiyong was uncharacteristically quiet. Too quiet.. Creepingly quiet -- it gave Youngbae the creeps..

 

Every attempt of Youngbae's to steal Jiyong's attention was either ignored or replied with a half-hearted 'Hm..?', even though Youngbae had jokingly threatened to burn Jiyong's precious gucci bag that the younger had bought using his first pay -- okay maybe Youngbae'll do it for real if his bestfriend still insists on ignoring him.

 

Jiyong was currently scribbling on his book, one would think that he was diligently taking notes. Well, the truth was far from that, because Youngbae knew that Jiyong's focus was ultimately somewhere else but here. "Ji.."

 

"Hm.." 

Youngbae rolled his eyes as he pinched Jiyong's slim waist, making the younger flinch to his side. "Aack..! Yah, Bae!!"

 

"Only now you're noticing me, huh?" Youngbae only got a sad expression as a reply. There must be something that's troubling this fluffy bestfriend of his.. "Let me guess, Dami burnt your new clothes..?"

 

Jiyong shook his head, sighing heavily, "I lost my necklace,"

 

Youngbae's eyes widened as realisation dawned into him. If Youngbae had really heard correctly, it was the necklace, which Jiyong's mother had passed down to her son on Jiyong's twelfth birthday.. The accessory was the only thing that could serve as a memory of their parents for Jiyong and his sister after they were ordered to leave their grandmother's house. And Youngbae was sure that Jiyong had never spent a day without wearing the necklace, and losing it means Jiyong would be missing his memories with his parents too.

 

'Poor Jiyong..' Youngbae sadly thought as he reassuringly patted his bestfriend's hunched shoulder. As a good friend, he asked the younger if he knew the last place he put it, which was replied with "Of course I do, that's why I have no idea where to look for it!!".. Youngbae noted the sarcasm and mentally smacked his head.. 

 

Thinking for awhile, suddenly a light bulb flashed on Youngbae's head, "Hey, perhaps you left it in the library..? You went there to search for books last weekend, right..?"

 

Jiyong pursed his lips in deep thoughts, did he really leave it there..? It couldn't be, because he could vividly remember the swaying motion of the necklace as he stepped away from the library, running, leaving Seunghyun in utter confusion..

 

Maybe it fell into the puddle of muddy water at the playground..? Jiyong didn't think so.. He remembered the cold feeling of the metal of the pendant against the skin of his neck when he fell onto the muddy ground, as the cold wind blew onto his cheeks and his exposed neck, shivering him to the bones. It was there on his neck, safe and cold under his wet sweater.

 

Jiyong could also remember the only cold feeling on his neck as his body gradually turned warmer when Seungri suddenly pulled Jiyong to his body, protecting him from the falling rain, sharing his body heat with Jiyong. And his necklace also loses its chill slowly, regaining the warmth radiating from Jiyong's blushing skin as Seungri led him to his car.

 

Wait.. Car..?

 

Suddenly a flashback was replayed in his mind, there was him, taking off his neclace to wipe it with some tissues, drying the accessory before placing it on his lap and then stuffed some tissues into his nostrils to start the process of blocking the mucus flow.. Well..

He did wear it back, didn't he..?

He didn't leave it in Seungri's car, or did he..?

 

"Bae.." Jiyong slowly glanced at Youngbae who was raising his eyebrows questionably. "I think I need to.. Uhh.. Go to the-- toilet..?"

 

Still not sure what's with the sudden behavior, Youngbae only nodded and patted Jiyong's shoulder, whispering "Don't knock into walls on your way there," which was replied with a small chuckle by Jiyong.

 

Standing outside the class after getting the teacher's permission to go the 'toilet', Jiyong took a deep breath before turning to his right and started walking. The basketball team must be having practices at this hour, so Seungri must be there...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Seungri, I'm free!!"

Seungri's eyes darted towards the boy - Park Jimin, the boy was near the hoop, unguarded. Kwangsoo, their tallest player suddenly towered in front of Seungri,  guarding him so that he won't be able to pass the ball. However, Seungri's not the best player for nothing, as he swiftly slided to his side, escaping the tall player's guard, and threw the ball to Jimin who later went straight for the shot. Another point for his team, oh -- correction, another easy point for them..

 

Seungri smirked as he went to the bench to grab his water bottle when the coach announced for a five-minutes break. They were having a match between them, with the same number of new players and the experienced ones in each team.  His group consisted of him, Daesung, Ilwoo, Jongin and that Jimin. Of course it'll be easy for them, because even though Jongin and Jimin were new, Seungri --he'll never admit this out loud-- could see that they have the potential to become greater than others.

 

Daesung suddenly plopped his beside him, snatching Seungri's bottle from the younger's hands and uncaringly chugged the water down his dried throat. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter