Heartbeat

Code Blue

"We can do this - as a team."

The group dispersed into three - just as told. The ambulance finally arrived. Gong Jun rushed towards the entrance with Rui Chang, Chen Yi and two interns. The paramedics rushed in panic as they read the status of the patient to the attending physician. One by one, the casualties flooded the ER but the team of experts handled it calmly.

"Doc!"An intern rushed towards Yun Ru who was still checking on a man who was spraying blood all over the isolation room.His skull seemed cracked and multiple fractures all over his body.Yun Ru turned to look at the intern - eyes calm but with a hint of frustration.

"What is it, intern?"The intern - male with black hair, bowed before speaking frantically.

"A-A pregnant woman is unconscious and her BP is dropping. The fetus is 28 weeks old." Yun Ru halted at the information. She hesitated for a while before handing the forceps in her hand to the intern assigned to her.

"Clean and stitch the wound first. I've suppressed the bleeding for now so send him for an X-ray and MRI. Call for Dr. Alan Yu, he's a neurosurgeon." She stated hastily before following the anxious intern - who she found out his name was Yugyeom. Yun Ru had immediately checked if the woman's water broke and sighed in relief once she confirmed it negative. She checked the patient's pupils before moving to her bump.

"Doc, what shall we do?" The female doctor could only take deep breaths before turning to look at the intern.

"Get me the portable X-ray and call for Dr. Andy Chen."

 

 

Yang Yang felt his patient's pulse - a young schoolgirl who was tragically involved in the accident. A glass shard had pierced her jugular and he had just managed to stop bleeding - for now. The girl's mother was sobbing near her bed as a nurse tended to her injuries. Cheng Jie was still checking on her BP to determine whether the girl was in the condition to enter surgery.

"Let's get her to MRI first. I need to know if there might be free air in her lungs and abdomen." Cheng Jie sighed as he ripped off the latex gloves and threw them into a tray nearby. Yang Yang nodded in agreement as his eyes trained on Deng Lun who was coaxing a crying girl while stitching the gash on her right arm.

"Nurse, please rush this patient to MRI. We need the scans as soon as possible." Two nurses and an intern bowed and attended the young girl immediately. Cheng Jie and Yang Yang exchanged glances before rushing to other patients. Rui Chang called for Cheng Jie for consultation while Yang Yang aided a man who broke an arm from being cramped in his car at the car accident. 

 

 

Gong Jun took deep breaths - partly due to how disorganized the ER is. The nurses were working based on divided schedule and the interns were still fresh and out of place. He had resisted the urge to scream at the interns who assist him. Gong Jun was about to resume his duty when he felt a tug on his left sleeve. Surprised, he turned around and was greeted by a pair of baby blue eyes that looked lost and terrified. She was clearly caucasian. The doctor squatted down and offered a gentle smile.

"Hi there. What are you doing here all alone?"Gong Jun asked softly as he scanned the girl for injuries. There were minor scratches on her arms and legs but that was all she sustained - much to his relief. The little angel did not answer and looked down as her fingers toyed with the ruffles on her dress. Gently, Gong Jun dusted the black ashes that dirtied the girl's face with his thumb. His attention was robbed as he heard the sirens of the ambulance again.The doctor picked up the girl and brought her to the nurse's desk and sat her comfortably on one of the chairs there.

"Can you stay here for a bit? I promise I'll be back soon and help you find your parents okay?" He ran his fingers through her blonde hair before reaching into a shelf and grabbed a blanket and a bottle of water for her. After tucking her in nicely, he flashed her another warm smile before jogging towards the emergency entrance where more patients were rushed in.

 

 

Meng Long hissed under his breath. He had just diagnosed a trauma patient and was about to go for surgery when an intern rushed to him and told him that there was a critical trauma patient with a possible cracked skull. He could feel a mild headache crawling up his temples.

"Cracked skull? That's a very serious diagnosis. Who said so?" It was usual for him to hear 'fracture' more than 'crack' when it came to skulls. The intern - flustered and all, answered timidly at the doctor's hard gaze.

"D-Dr. Anes Liu. She told me to call for you, doctor." Meng Long's brows furrowed.

"Had an MRI been taken?"The intern gave a negative reply. The neurosurgeon cursed under his breath. If Yun Ru had made such a diagnosis without an X-ray or MRI, it must be severe. He turned back to his intern - Hoseok.

"Send this patient to radiology first for a CT scan. Call me immediately when the scan is out." The intern nodded frantically before pushing the patient towards the elevator with the help of a nurse. Meng Long followed the former intern who led him to Yun Ru's patient. Blood soaked the patient's bed although he was informed that they had stitched the opening. He checked for pupil dilation before looking at the crack. The opening seemed narrow but even with his eyes, he knew it was far too deep. The diagnosis might be right by the hemorrhaging at the back of the head.

"Get him to MRI and CT scan first. If Dr. Liu's diagnosis is correct, we need to move him to surgery immediately." Meng Long took a step back and hissed when his headache hit him hard. The interns panicked.

"D-Doctor!" The neurosurgeon shook his head and signaled for them to continue. The intern bit his lower lip and bowed before pushing the patient off to radiology. The doctor rubbed his temple as he strode over to the nurse's desk. He needed a few minutes to suppress the pain. Suddenly, he felt a hand on his arm. He stared at the hand - recognizing it almost immediately.

"Did you take your meds?" Yun Ru asked softly as she squeezed Meng Long's arm comfortingly. The male shook his head as he turned to look at her - eyes layered with pain as he took deep breaths through his mouth instead. Yun Ru knew him too well. He would never rest at a condition like this. She sighed as she reached for her bag behind the nurse's desk and took out a bottle of painkillers. She took two tablets and handed it to Meng Long who accepted it and swallowed the medication accompanied by a few gulps of water.

"You still need to wait for the scans. Meanwhile, just rest first. I need to consult Chen Yi about a patient. I'll check on you again in a little while." Yun Ru stated sternly before walking off. Meng Long could not help but comply. He leaned himself against the nurse's desk and stared helplessly at the busy ER.

 

"It's gonna be a goddamn day."