V - Wavesound

Yongguk Storyventure

Here another short scenario written for Yongguk's birthday^^

 


 

            The sea. I watch the waves as they roll up towards the shore and crash against the rocks, carved out of the sand by the tide over what’s probably thousands of years. Listening to the water and watching its movements has always calmed me down, so I inhale the salty breeze and let it out after holding it in for a few seconds. The wind keeps blowing my hair into my face, but I don’t mind. Usually I’d have gotten annoyed, but not here. This is my special place. You could say I trust this place to take care of me, to treat me well, and to give me whatever safety I need. Really, it sounds weird now that I think about it, but if this place was a person, I think it would be a mother, gently but tightly holding her child, protecting it from whatever evil the world may throw at it. But today, something is different. As I arrive at the usual place, a cliff that’s probably two or three meters above the sea-level, covered in sand and dry grasses, I find a person, standing not far from me – to be more precise, a man. He is wearing a light black coat, reaching all the way down to his ankles, and jeans rolled up until a good inch below his knee. His hair too keeps blowing into his face, and just like me, he doesn’t do anything about it. He just keeps staring – staring far far away, if at the ocean or sky or where both of them meet I cannot tell. I decide to walk over to him, suddenly getting curious to know what he’s watching so intently.

            “Ah… I didn’t realize there was somebody else here…” he says, slowly and in a deep, calm voice. I look over to him.

            “I only just got here” I reply. “I wanted to know what you were looking at, so I thought I’d walk a little closer to you.” He raises his eyebrows.

            “I wasn’t looking at anything in particular. Just the sea.”

            “So it was the sea!” I exclaim. We keep looking at it for a while together.

            “Don’t you like how the waves form and crash again?” I ask. “It’s like they’re preparing to meet the land, but then just before reaching their goal they fall apart and have to accept that they will never reach farther than that.” He lets me hear a thoughtful, deep hum.

            “You’re right. I’ve never looked at it like that” he agrees. “But now that you mention it…” He takes out a small notebook and scribbles something down to it. “Do you come here often?” I nod.

            “Yeah… lately I’ve been coming here more than I want to though…”

            “Really? Why is that?” he pries. “It’s so beautiful here after all.”

            “It’s…” I hesitate to go on for a moment. I’ve never actually talked about this place with anyone. Telling a stranger about my reasons now seems a little…

            “Oh, you don’t have to talk if you don’t want to. I was just nosy” he brushes it off. “I haven’t come here in a while actually. It must’ve been years since I last saw this place.”

            “You came here regularly too?” I ask.

            “Not that regularly… but I’ve been here a few times” he explains, taking a deep breath and showing an adorable smile. I feel myself being caught in that expression for a few moments, until it slowly fades. “I have my special places I get inspiration from” he states.

            “Inspiration?” I repeat. “Are you an artist?”

            “Kind of. I make music” he says, turning his head and looking me directly in the eyes. In his dark pupils I see a light shining, that I have so far only seen on very few people. I can tell how much music means to this man.

            “What kind of music?” I ask.

            “Meaningful music, I hope” he answers, another faint smile appearing on his face. “Though sometimes you just want to write a song that’s fun. But not this time. Or else I’d have gotten my inspiration elsewhere.”

            “Yeah, this really isn’t a very uh… fun place” I laugh. “But writing a song about the sea sounds cool too.”

            “It won’t be about the sea” he corrects me. “I just want it to convey a similar atmosphere as this place. But… I think I found something better instead.”

            “Which is?” He winks at me, but doesn’t give me an answer. Instead, he keeps looking at the tide in front of us.

            “Say… what’s your name by the way?” he asks. “I’m Bang Yongguk.” I give him my name. “Y/N…” he uses it right away to address me. “I assume you know this place very well?”

            “I guess I do.”

            “Then… may I ask you to show me around a bit?”

            “Sure…” I agree, even though there isn’t exactly much to see in this area, except for the sea. “Then follow me.” I guide him down the cliff to a dusty path, walking into the direction of the faraway town, but then turning left, getting closer to the water again. There, between the two cliffs is a small space we pass through, leading to a tiny bay you can see well from the cliffs, but nobody really ever goes there.

            “I like this place…” I say, receiving an agreeing nod.

            “I can see why… It’s beautiful down here” he comments. “Even though the sea seems so far away from up there, you can actually get really close to it here.” He seems to be thinking for a while, then again he takes out his notebook and writes something down.

            “Are you taking notes for a new song?” I dare to ask.

            “Yeah…” He nods. “I just thought of some lyrics. Thanks to you.” He shoots me an unexpected smile, showing his teeth and gums. I can’t but return that bright expression.

            “I didn’t do anything much though…” I say, but he insists.

            “No, you did. I think meeting you here today was fate.” I have to chuckle at how cheesy that sounds. However, he continues with his talk, “I think to me you are something like a muse. This place alone brought me inspiration, but you are the one who made it blossom.”

            “That” I say. “Write that down. That just sounded super-poetic.” He stares at me in confusion for a while, then breaks out in laughter.

            “See?” he then says, after being able to talk again. “This is what you do to me.”