Chapter 08

Second Chance

Hoseok bounced into their dance studio just before lunch. He made his way to Jang Mi's studio, knowing that she was due to finish her class. He looked through the small window in the door, smiling at her as she guided her students through their dance. He waved at her through the window, effectively catching her attention. He held up the bag in his hands and she gave him a thumbs up before turning back to her students. He grinned to himself as he made his way to their break room. He carefully laid out the food that he had bought, knowing that she was probably starving.

 

The door opened a few minutes later and Jimin dropped down on a seat opposite him. “Woah, what’s the occasion?” he asked as he took in the sight of all the food Hoseok had bought. “Jang Mi and I went clubbing last night. We’re both a little tender today.” Hoseok said as he handed the handsome man a set of chopsticks. “Thanks. But seriously, if this is how you guys eat after drinking I may need to encourage you to get drunk more often.” He said with a chuckle as he started eating.

 

Jang Mi appeared a few minutes later, all but falling onto the couch beside Hoseok, her head landing on his shoulder. “The next time I suggest clubbing when I have a morning class the next day I want you to remind me of today.” She mumbled, making the two males laugh at her. “Scale from one to ten?” Jimin asked, a smirk on his face. “At least a twelve.” She replied making them both laugh again. Hoseok reached down and grabbed a to-go cup, handing it to her. “Your coffee.” She inhaled the scent of the coffee and sighed, cupping her hands around the cup. “How did you know that this is exactly what I needed?” she asked as she pried off the lid, gently blowing on the scalding liquid to cool it down.

 

Hoseok chuckled, “You’ve always been the same. You never drink coffee unless you have a hangover. You’ve been like this since high school.” He said as he grabbed some food and fed her. Jimin watched the two of them, a smile on his face. “Will you two just start dating already?” he teased, startling the two of them. Jang Mi sat upright, “What? What are you talking about?” she asked, avoiding looking at Hoseok. Jimin shook his head, putting his chopsticks down and crossing his arms over his chest. “Come on, you’ve known each other for years. You practically know everything about each other. I swear my parents don’t even know as much about each other as you two know about each other. You like practically all the same things, you look great together. Just date, please?” he begged, looking between his two flustered friends.

 

Jang Mi and Hoseok exchanged a look, both of them blushing. “Shut up and eat.” Jang Mi said as she grabbed her own, unused chopsticks and started eating. Jimin chuckled at their embarrassment but didn’t say anymore as they continued to eat. Hoseok stole glances of Jang Mi as they continued to eat, the conversation returning to safer, less embarrassing topics.

 

 

 

Over the next few days, the slightly awkward atmosphere caused by Jimin's words completely melted away, both of them happy that things had returned to normal between them. Jang Mi laughed as she watched Hoseok goofing off with his kids class. She had finished her classes earlier than him, hanging back at the studio so that they could hang out afterwards. Hoseok saw her by the doorway and shouted to her. “Help! I’m being attacked!” he shouted dramatically as two of the smallest kids in the class wrapped themselves around his legs.

 

Jang Mi could only laugh at their antics, knowing that Hoseok was most likely having more fun than the kids were. A loud buzzer sounded through the speakers and the kids all groaned. “Okay monsters, break time’s over!” Hoseok called cheerfully as he freed himself. “You all ready to practice?” the kids all nodded and Hoseok pouted. “Yah, what kind of response is that? I said: are you ready to practice?” he shouted, the kids all shouting back twice as loudly. Hoseok pretended to be blown away by the force of their voices, making them all giggle at him. “Wow, I guess you guys are ready!” he said, smiling at them and winking in Jang Mi's direction as he grabbed the remote and started the music. “Okay guys, let’s do this! Let’s show Jang Mi how much you’ve improved!” he said as he hit play, the kids all falling into their starting positions.

 

Jang Mi slipped into the classroom, sitting at the back so that she wouldn’t distract anyone, her eyes never leaving Hoseok as he weaved in and out of the students, guiding them with their movements. Hoseok could often be impatient, but never with kids. He had infinite patience for the kids that he worked with and they all adored him. He was the right balance of playful and strict that helped encourage and foster their love of dance, helping them want to try their best. The smile never left her face as she watched him for the rest of his class. If he noticed her staring, he never mentioned it.

 

 

When the class neared its end, Hoseok suggested that they tried to perform for Jang Mi. The kids all enthusiastically agreed, eager to show off the results of their hard work. She moved to the front of the class, playfully warning them that she wouldn’t miss any mistakes. They happily accepted the challenge, ready to perform. Hoseok stood by her side as he pressed play, a proud smile on his face as he watched them giving it their all.

 

When the song ended, Jang Mi clapped enthusiastically, cheering loudly and praising each and every one of them. “Yah, have you guys been sneaking in here to practice or something? How did you all get this good? And when did you all get this tall?” she said with a laugh, noticing that some of the kids were close to being the same height as her. “Don’t worry unni, you're the perfect height for Hoseok oppa!” one of the girls from the back of the class shouted, making all of the kids laugh and agree. Hoseok and Jang Mi shared an embarrassed smile. “You two look perfect together!” another kid shouted.

 

“Are you dating?” another one shouted, the laughing intensifying. “Yah, yah, yah!” Hoseok yelled, chasing the kid around the studio, the others all whooping and cheering. “Alright you monsters, get out of here. Don’t forget to practice at home. I’ll see you next week!” he said as he ruffled the hair of the first girl that had shouted out as she left the studio. Jang Mi watched the kids go, a smile on her face. Once they had all left, Hoseok turned back to her. “We still on for hanging out?” he asked. She nodded, “Yeah.” He grinned at her, “Awesome. I’m just gonna have a quick shower, give me like fifteen minutes?” she nodded. “Sure, I’ll be in the break room.” He grinned at her again before rushing off to their small shower room.

 

Jang Mi went to their break room, wasting time on her phone while she waited for Hoseok. She ended up looking through her camera gallery, a smile appearing on her face every time a photo of Hoseok appeared. She lost track of time as she waited, more than content to spend her time gazing at photos of her and her best friend. He appeared in the break room, his hair still slightly damp from his shower. “Sorry I took so long, Jimin was in there for forever.” He said as he wrapped his scarf around his neck. “It’s okay. You good to go?” she asked as she stood up, slipping her phone into her pocket. He smiled, “Yup, let’s go.”

 

They made their way to the shopping mall close to their studio, Hoseok complaining that he needed new trainers, his old ones had started to fall apart from using them to practice every day. There was a huge crowd outside of the entrance, hundreds of people all clamouring to see someone standing at a stage located just in front of the entrance. “What’s going on?” Jang Mi asked, not able to see over the crowd. Hoseok stood up on his tiptoes to see the signs that surrounded the stage. “Looks like there's a shop having some kind of event for their first anniversary or something. The crowd goes right up to the entrance of the mall.” He said with a frown.

 

“Okay, if we get separated in the crowd, just meet at the shoe shop?” she suggested, knowing that she wouldn’t be able to push her way through the crowd. “I have a better idea.” Hoseok said as he linked his hand with hers, his hand was warm from being in his pockets. “Aish, why don’t you wear gloves?” he complained as he started weaving his way through the crowd, making sure to hold onto her hand tightly. She followed along behind him, sticking close behind him.

 

His hand felt so warm and strong in hers. She had held his hand before. When she had decided that walking along a wall at the beach was a good idea and nearly fell so he grabbed her hand to help her balance. When they went to a carnival and they got separated three times before he got fed up spending more time looking for her than being with her so he held her hand so they wouldn’t get separated again. Even though he had held her hand a million times before, it had never made her heart flutter before.

 

She looked up at him, catching a glimpse of his side profile. She had always known that he was good looking, anyone with eyes could see that. He was so caring towards everyone around him, he was endlessly positive and always encouraged people to try their best and to try new things. It was him that had introduced dancing to her back when they were in high school. He was the friend you definitely wanted in your corner. He was fiercely loyal and honest to a fault.

 

She shook her head and tried to put those thoughts out of her head as she followed him through the crowd, not noticing that she wasn’t the only one that had been stealing glances.