Chapter 03

Second Chance

Jang Mi sat down on the edge of her bed, the watch still in her hands. “Okay. Calm down. There has to be a logical explanation. I just need to find out what it is.” After staring at the watch for five minutes as if it would suddenly start talking and explain everything to her, she got up and quickly pulled on some clothes. She quickly ran a brush through her hair, struggling with the long strands. Once she had finally tamed her hair, she grabbed the watch and threw it into her bag, determined to get to the bottom of what had happened.

 

She pulled up the address of the shop she had bought the watch from, determined to get some answers from the shopkeeper. She impatiently followed the directions, a million questions flowing through her mind. When she turned the final corner before the store, she stopped dead. She looked down at her phone again, “This is definitely the right address.” She muttered as she looked up at where the shop should be, but instead of the old looking store, it was a small salon, the large window at the front giving her a clear view of the people inside. “But how? That shop looked like it had been there for years.” She muttered as she approached the shop. She looked in the window and one of the ahjummas waved at her. She shyly smiled and waved back before hurrying away from the window.

 

She searched online for the name of the shop but her search came up with nothing. There were no shops with that name. She bit her lip. “This is crazy.” She muttered as she made her way out of the maze of side streets before finally finding a main road. She walked down the street in a daze, her mind still unable to process what was happening to her. She bumped into someone, which brought her back to her senses. “Oh my… I’m so sorry.” She said, bowing to the person who just grumbled at her to be careful before continuing on their way. She shook her head, trying to clear her mind. She looked around, trying to get her bearings and her eyes landed on a small bakery.

 

“Oh my god!” she quickly crossed the street and rushed into the bakery. She ran up to the counter, startling the pretty girl behind the counter. “When did you reopen?” Jang Mi asked excitedly. The girl gave her a confused look. “I’m not sure what you mean… do you mean what time did we open this morning?” she asked. Jang Mi shook her head. “No, I mean this place closed down like six months ago! I didn’t know you reopened!” she said. The girl smiled weakly, trying to hide her confusion. “I think you must be mistaken, our bakery never shut down.”

 

Jang Mi froze. “Ah… sorry. I must have gotten mixed up. Sorry.” She said before rushing outside. She stood outside and looked back at the bakery. “This place definitely closed down. I was so sad when it shut down.” She muttered to herself. She was brought out of her musings by the sound of her phone ringing. She pulled out her phone, Hoseok's face flashing up on the screen. “Jang Mi! Are you excited for tonight?” he asked excitedly as soon as she answered. “Tonight? What are you talking about?” she asked as she started walking towards her apartment.

 

“The Halloween party of course! You know Jimin always throws the best parties at Halloween!” he said. She frowned, “What are you talking about? The party was last night.” She said as she approached a crossroads, waiting for the lights to change. “What are you talking about?” Hoseok asked before he gasped loudly. “Did you go out and party last night without telling your best friend in the whole entire world?” he asked dramatically. “Hobi, what are you talking about? The party was last night? Don’t you remember? You were a policeman and I was the white rabbit?” she asked as she crossed the road.

 

“A policeman? Jang Mi, are you hungover or something?” Hoseok asked with a chuckle. “I told you I’m going to be Darth Vader! Although, a police officer is a good idea. I think I'd be a really handsome policeman, what do you think?” Jang Mi shook her head. “Hobi, what date is it today?” she asked. “It’s Halloween, October thirty-first.” He replied, sounding confused. “Okay… but… don’t think this is weird… but what year?” she asked. “Jang Mi… is everything alright??” he asked worriedly. “Yeah, just humour me, please?” she begged. “It’s 2016… are you sure you're okay?” he asked.

 

She stopped dead in the middle of the street. “Did you just say 2016?” she asked shakily. “Yeah.” She took a deep breath. “Okay, so what’s the plan for tonight? I completely forgot.” She asked, trying to distract Hoseok from her unusual questions. “We’re meeting a Jimin's at eight. But are you sure you're up for it? You sound a little… off.” He asked. She forced a smile onto her face, hoping he could hear it in her voice. “Yeah, I’m fine. I didn’t sleep too well last night and I’m just all confused.” she said with a laugh. “Are you sure you didn’t sneak out and party without me?” he asked. “I’m sure.” She replied, forcing a laugh out.

 

He chuckled. “Okay, but if you decide you're not up for going out later just let me know. We can sit in with movies and junk food if you want instead.” He offered. She genuinely laughed this time, “Even if I want to watch horror movies?” she asked. She could hear the panic in his voice. “Why would you want to watch horror movies? Ugh.” She laughed again as she started walking. “I’ll be fine. I just need to give myself a shake and I’ll be fine. I’ll see you tonight.”

 

“Okay. See you tonight.” She hung up and put her phone back into her bag as she made her way back to her apartment. She unlocked the door and kicked off her shoes. “Okay, so I've gone back in time.” she said with a shrug of her shoulders. “No big deal. No need to freak out. Nope. Everything is cool.” She said as she flopped down onto the couch. She sat for a few seconds before jumping off of the couch and pacing the length of her living room, biting her nails as she went. “Who am I kidding? This is mental! Am I the only one that knows we’ve gone back in time? Hoseok seems to have no idea!” she winced as she bumped into her coffee table. “Wait… if its Halloween last year then that means… I never got together with Do-Jung…” her pacing quickened as she tried to remember the events from the last year.

 

“That’s right! It was at this party that he asked for my number! Oh my god, that means I need to see him tonight.” The speed of her pacing increased as her panic increased. “So, all I need to do is not give him my number and then we’ll never get together and I won't need to deal with him being a complete douche in a years’ time!” she laughed at her realisation. “Does that mean my memories will change? Will I forget everything that happened? Or will I still remember what happened?” she wondered. She shook her head. “It doesn’t matter. This is my chance to change things. It doesn’t matter if I remember what happened or not, and no matter what happens from me rejecting him tonight, it can’t be worse that what happened in the future.”

 

She checked the time with a smile. “Perfect. I’ve got plenty of time to get ready.” She said as she wandered into the kitchen to make herself something to eat. Her stomach was rumbling from not eating before she went out to find the shop that she bought the watch from. She some music as she started cooking, singing and dancing along with the music with a smile on her face.

 

 

 

That night she turned up at Jimin's party a little later than planned. She had taken extra time to get ready, wanting to look her best. Jimin pulled her into a bone crushing hug when he opened the door, his cheeks already tinted pink from the amount of alcohol he had undoubtedly consumed. “Finally! We were starting to think you got lost!” he joked. She laughed back. “Sorry, but I’m here now!” she said as her friend Hwasa appeared and handed her a drink. “You're late!” she shouted over the music, “It’s a double, you need to get caught up!” she said with a laugh and a wink before she disappeared back into the crowd of people. Jang Mi laughed as she took a sip of the strong drink, spotting Hoseok standing with a few of their other friends. She chuckled as Namjoon approached them, his dinosaur tail knocking over several drinks and almost tripping Kihyun up.

 

She approached them, all of them cheering at her arrival. “Finally!” Hoseok said as he hugged her. “Sorry, sorry!” she said, a genuine smile on her face. Jungkook pushed a plastic cup into her hand. “Your punishment for being late!” he said with a cheeky grin. “Yah! I’m still dealing with Hwasa’s punishment!” she protested as she held up the two cups. Jungkook only shrugged at her, a grin on his face. “Your fault for being late.” He teased with a grin. She huffed and downed both cups, earning her a round of applause. “Thank you, thank you.” She said, curtseying to them all. Hoseok's hand landed on her arm as he leant in closer to her. “Hey, you feeling okay?” he asked, his eyes shining with worry. “You sounded kinda off earlier.”

 

She gave him a reassuring smile. “Yeah, I’m fine. In fact, better than fine. I was just a little out of it this morning, but I feel great. Sorry for worrying you.” He nodded, seemingly satisfied with her answer. “Good. Because there's a doubles beer pong competition coming up and I need you in my corner.” He said, his normal enthusiasm creeping back into his voice. She grinned, remembering the outcome of the games. “Have I ever let you down before?” she asked. “Never.” He said as they high-fived.