Chapter 13

Second Chance

The next day, Jang Mi woke up feeling more tired than she had the night before. She had tossed and turned the whole night, unable to sleep for more than an hour before she woke up in a panic. Jimin had checked on her several times throughout the night, she was thankful for his kindness, but she felt guilty for disturbing him. When she finally emerged from his bedroom, he offered to make her something to eat, but the thought of eating made her stomach churn. Neither of them had classes that day for which Jang Mi couldn’t have been more grateful for.

 

After spending the morning together, watching movies and acting like everything was okay, Jimin took her home in the afternoon, after insisting to her that he didn’t mind if she wanted to stay with him for longer. He had only agreed to let her go home after making her promise to call him at any time of the day or night if she needed him. Once Jimin had left, she headed straight for the bathroom, she ran herself a bath, making sure the water was as hot as she could handle it. She scrubbed every inch of her skin, making sure any trace of Do-Jung was gone. Only once the water had finally started to turn cold did she get out. She wrapped her bathrobe around her still damp body as she sat on the edge of her bed, her fingers pulling up Hoseok's number once again.

 

Her call was once again forwarded to voicemail and she felt disappointment and frustration flow through her. If she had had any more energy she would have thrown on some clothes and stormed over to his apartment and demand to know why he wasn’t returning her calls. But the warm bath had made her sleepy. She lay down, her hand reaching out for the watch which was still tucked away in her bedside drawer. She carefully removed it from its velvet pouch, turning the cold piece of metal over in her hands. “I used this once to run away from my problems and look where I ended up.” she said to herself with a sigh. “I won't run away from my problems like that again. I need to stand on my own two feet and deal with what happened. I won't let Do-Jung or anyone else have such an effect on me ever again.” she promised, her voice firm. She rolled onto her side, intending on having a quick nap to make up for the sleep she had lost on the night before. She fell asleep seconds after her head touched her pillow.

 

 

 

Hoseok had woken up late into the morning, his head pounding and his stomach churning. He groaned as he rubbed his stiff neck. He looked around, momentarily confused about why he was waking up in his living room instead of his bedroom. It was only a matter of seconds before his mind ripped him out of his blissful moment is ignorance and forced him to remember what he had witnessed the night before. He glared at the empty soju bottles in front of him as his stomach lurched. He groaned as he rushed to the bathroom, throwing up the meagre contents of his stomach.

 

Once he had finally emptied his stomach, he half-heartedly brushed his teeth to get rid of the horrible taste from his mouth before he shuffled into his bedroom, flopping down on top of his bed. He groaned as the room span around him, his pounding headache a reminder of his terrible idea to drink on an empty stomach. He slowly drifted off into an uneasy sleep, happy to spend his day off regretting his choices which had led him to feel so miserable.

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, Jimin called Jang Mi first thing in the morning to see how she was doing. She told him that after sleeping and eating that she was feeling a lot better and that she was going to do her classes. He had protested at first, worried that she was pushing herself too hard. “Don’t worry Jimin. I’ll be okay.” she promised. “I’m not going to let that jerk mess up my life. I spent a day moping over it but now I’m ready to just get back to normal.” She said, a part of her truly believing her own words. She had already spent far too much time caring about Do-Jung both before she had went back in time, and after. She wasn’t about to make the same mistake twice. She had woken up early after sleeping so early the day before. She had made herself a generous breakfast before showering and pulling on some comfortable clothes. She checked out her appearance and smiled back at her reflection. “You’ve got this, Jang Mi.” she said to herself before she headed towards the studio.

 

She only had two classes that day, the first one starting at eleven. Jimin was there before her. She waved at him through the window of his studio, holding up a plastic bag of food for him to see. He gave her a grin and a thumbs up, glad to see that not only had she brought food, but that she looked like her old self.

 

She made her way to the break room and put the bag onto the coffee table. She spotted a familiar black bag in the corner of the room. She approached it with a frown. “Isn’t this Hobi's?” she asked herself. She peered inside the bag and noticed that his phone was sitting on the top. “That’s strange. It’s not like Hobi to forget his phone.” she mused. She had become quite worried that she couldn’t contact her best friend.

 

She shrugged, figuring that he would be at the studio later. His first class didn’t start until after hers so she knew that he wouldn’t arrive until later. She checked the time, almost panicking when she noticed that she was almost late. She quickly threw her bag into her locker after grabbing her mp3 player and rushed around to her studio, a smile on her face as she greeted her students.

 

 

Hoseok made his way into the studio, feeling only marginally better than he had the day before. He had slept most of the day, desperate to not suffer his hangover any more than he had to. He had attempted to eat at night, but his stomach had violently protested. He had woken up early that morning and showered which had helped him feel somewhat human. He had managed a small breakfast, which he had successfully managed to keep down. He made his way to the studio, determined to bury his feelings for Jang Mi and congratulate her on her relationship with Do-Jung. He was happy when he arrived after her class had started. Although he wanted to be able to congratulate her on her relationship with Do-Jung, a part of him was still hurting.

 

He went into the locker room, finding his phone exactly where he had left it. He rummaged through his bag to find a charger, his phone battery completely dead from being sitting for so long. He plugged it in and flopped down onto the couch, casting an eye towards the food in front of him. He looked up when he heard the door open, revealing Jimin. He smiled at his younger friend. “Hey, Jimin.” He said. Jimin stormed up beside him. “Where the hell have you been?” Jimin ground out. Hoseok was startled at Jimin's tone. He wasn’t one to get angry easily. “I was at home, I just got here.” He said, unaware of the cause of Jimin's anger. “Did I miss a class or something?” he asked, worried that he had forgotten that a class time had been changed.

 

“Jang Mi was calling you all day yesterday but you didn’t answer.” Jimin said, still standing in the doorway. “Oh, I left my phone here the other night.” He said, pointing towards the charging device. Jimin glared at him. “Do you have any idea what happened?” Jimin growled out, his hands curling into fists. Hoseok frowned at Jimin's outright hostility. “What are you talking about?” he asked. Jimin stalked across the room, dropping down into the couch across from Hoseok. “The other night, with Jang Mi and Do-Jung.” Jimin started. Hoseok clenched his teeth together, a muscle in his jaw twitching at the sound of Do-Jung's name. “Oh, I saw them together…” he said his hands clenching into fists.

 

Jimin's fist slammed down on his thigh, startling the older man. “You saw them but you didn’t understand!” he shouted. “He attacked her.” he said bluntly. Hoseok froze at Jimin's words. Jimin shook his head. “That night after they finished their class, she fell and he tried to catch her but landed on top of her. He told her to stop playing games with him. He thought she was just trying to play hard to get.” Hoseok's nails were biting into his palms at Jimin's words, anger and guilt sweeping through his body.

 

“She tried to push him off, but she wasn’t strong enough. He tried to force himself onto her then you walked in. She tried to call for you to help her but you ran off. I can only guess what you assumed when you walked in there and saw them like that.” Jimin said as he pushed his hair away from his face in frustration. “When you took off she took the chance to fight back. She managed to get away from him. She grabbed the fire extinguisher and basically threatened to smash his head in with it. Luckily for her, he left, telling her that all he had wanted from her was a good .” Hoseok visibly flinched from Jimin's vulgar words as guilt ran through him. “I don’t think she told me everything, but I don’t think he actually managed to do anything more than kiss her.” Jimin said, once again pushing his hair away from his face as he flopped back against the couch, his fists slowly uncurling.

 

“She tried to call you but obviously you couldn’t answer. She eventually called me and I ran over here. You should have seen her. She had tears streaming down her face, her entire body was shaking as she clutched onto that extinguisher like she would die if she were to let it go for even a second.”

 

“Stop.” Hoseok whispered, his voice raw with emotion as his head fell into his hands, his fingers grasping at his hair. Jimin slid forward on the couch, reaching out and placing his hand on Hoseok's shoulder. “When she was in desperate need, you were the one she wanted, the one she needed. Go tell her how you feel.” Jimin urged. Hoseok looked up at him in horror. “Confess? How can I confess to her after this? I left her. I abandoned her. I ran off and left her to that creep’s mercy.” He rasped out, his head falling forward, his hands in his hair. “She doesn’t blame you.” Jimin promised quietly. Hoseok shook his head, “I need to apologise.” He said as he looked at the clock on the wall. “I need to apologise and beg for her forgiveness.” He said as he rushed from the room.

 

He ran through the small crowd of students that were leaving Jang Mi's studio. He ran into the room, the sound of the door slamming open startling her. She turned to Hoseok, a small smile of relief making its way onto her face. “Hey.” She said quietly. Hoseok froze just inside the doorway. He quickly looked her over for injuries, satisfied to see that she didn’t look hurt. He then raised his gaze to her eyes, expecting to see blame there, but instead there was just warmth. “Jang Mi…” he said as he took a step closer to her. She smiled at him and before she could say another word, he closed the distance between them and pulled her into a bone crushing hug.

 

“I am so sorry. If I had known… if I hadn’t been so blind! So stupid!” he said as tears of guilt began to build up behind his eyes. “I can’t believe I didn’t realise what was going on! I was just so focused on finally confessing to you that I wasn’t thinking right! I can’t believe I left you like that! I’m the most horrible person on the planet! I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness, but I have to apologise, even though I know that an apology will never be enough to make up for what I did to you.”

 

He pulled away from her, just far enough that he could see her expression, his hands moving to gently cup her face. “Can you ever forgive me? If you can’t, I’ll walk out that door right now if that’s what you want. I’ll leave and you’ll never see me again if you don’t want to.” He said, his voice desperate. He knew that if she said that she didn’t want to see him again, that she could never forgive him, that it would kill him to never see her again, but if that’s what she wanted, what she needed from him, then he would do it.

 

“Hobi…” she said gently. “I don’t blame you for what happened.” She said. Hoseok held his breath as she continued, her hands raising to gently grasp his wrists. “You didn’t do anything wrong, so please… stop beating yourself up about it, okay?” she said, hoping that her smile would encourage him to smile as well. “Are you sure? You don’t need to be polite just because we’re friends. Do you want to hit me? Would that help?” he asked as he stuck his cheek out towards her, inviting her to slap him. She almost chuckled but she held it back as she raised up slightly on her tiptoes and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

 

His eyes flew open in shock from the fleeting feeling of her lips on his cheeks. “Wha-? I don’t… what?” he asked, this time succeeding in making her chuckle. “Didn’t you just say that you had been planning on confessing to me?” she said making him burn up in embarrassment as realisation that he had just inadvertently confessed to her dawned on him. “Oh my god. This isn’t how this was supposed to go!” he all but yelled, his embarrassment getting the better of him as he stepped away from her. Jang Mi chuckled as she took his hands into her own. “I like you too, Hoseok.” She said, giving him a warm smile. “Really? This isn’t a joke or a dream?” he asked, barely daring to believe what was happening.

 

She gave his arm a playful pinch to show him that he wasn’t dreaming. A grin slowly spread across his face before he swept her up into his arms, spinning her around in a circle, both of them laughing loudly as she wrapped her arms around his neck. “I like you, Jang Mi.” he said as he put her back down, his arms still wrapped around her. “I like you. I've liked you for the longest time but I've never had to courage to tell you.” He admitted as he gazed into her warm eyes. She smiled up at him. “I like you too.” She admitted again. “I don’t know when it started either, but all I know is, I like you.”

 

Hoseok chuckled. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by loud cheering. Both of them started and turned around to the doorway where Jimin and a large group of their students were standing, all of them clapping, cheering and whistling at the pair. “Finally!” Jimin shouted, a grin on his handsome face. “It’s about time!” one of their students yelled. “Kiss her!” shouted another, which cause a chain reaction, all of the spectators chanting at Hoseok to kiss her.

 

He glanced at her, a nervous smile on his face. She grinned up at him and wrapped her hand around the back of his neck, pulling him down into a kiss, causing their spectators to cheer twice as loud. Hoseok smiled into their kiss as he pulled her tightly against him, wanting to savour the feeling of her against him and the taste of her on his lips. When they pulled apart he grinned down at her, his eyes were shining with love and adoration.