Another Beginning, Of Sorts

Will Tomorrow Come?

 Bo Young swung aside the glass doors as she walked into the main building of JTBC, trailed by Minki. She’s meeting with PD-nim Lee and Scriptwriter-nim Kim Seo Yun for a meet and greet prior to the scheduled script reading with the whole cast next week. She had been surprised to receive a call from PD Lee after her contract was processed.

“It will be a quick meeting, Bo Young-sshi,” Pd Lee had said over the phone, “Writer Kim wanted to go over plot points.”

“Yes, of course,” she said, “but are we not having the first reading next week?”

“We are, but this is just with the lead actors and not the full cast. Thank you, she’ll be pleased know you’ll be there. We’ll see you there at 3pm next Thursday then.”

This alone is unusual; typically the actors would only have a very basic idea of the script and character development an episode or two ahead and are often left in the dark as to the details of the story line. However, the PD and scriptwriter felt both actors would benefit from this full disclosure seeing that they will have to show progression of the emotional content and intents of the characters they’ll be playing.

She had come across the script earlier this year, even before her other drama went into production. She accepted it after just reading the outline of the script. She learned they only approached her for the role and no once else. Writer Kim told her she wrote the drama with her in mind. So, PD Lee went on to adjust production time to accommodate her schedule. The casting was kept under wraps so it would not impinge on the contract requirements of the other drama she was tied to at that moment. That was why multiple actors were rumored to be involved even when she had already verbally signed on.

.

She arrived with a few minutes to spare. Just before she walked into the room, Minki told Bo Young, "I'll be in the coffee shop downstairs. Just let me know when you're done." 

She stood before the door, slight apprehension coloring her features. She knew he will be here too. They have not seen each other since after Song Song wedding years ago. One would have thought it an impossible feat considering there had been plenty of opportunities. Afterall, they were nominated for several awards multiple times. But somehow their paths never crossed, planned or otherwise. Admittedly, Bo Young herself had relied on her busy schedule whenever the possibility of Hyung Sik being around presented itself, thus using work as her ready excuse. She supposed he had done the same, because when she did manage to attend any award function, he would be the one missing then. Fortunately, I guess, she sighed. Maybe I’m just projecting. Maybe I’m the only one doing the avoiding. Besides, it's not like he had a choice; he had to be away for his mandatory service too. 

The small meeting room is cozy. Writer Kim met her inside and is effusive in her greetings, “Annyeong haseyo, Bo Young-sshi." Ms. Kim said, "Come in, come in. I’m glad you can make it. Just waiting on PD Lee and Hyung Sik-sshi. How are you? You are looking well.”

She ushered her into one of the chairs that surround the rectangular table set in the middle of the room. The table has been set with blue folders and a pen, with the 2 seats facing each other across the table.

"Kamsahamnida, Ms. Kim," Bo Young said, bowing to the lady. "I hope I'm not too early." She walked to the seat Ms. Kim indicated, one of the seats facing the doorway. As she sat, the door opened once more with Pd Lee walking in carrying tray of snacks. He was in the middle of a conversation. "...it was a great play, wasn't it? i can't believe Spain did not make that score." 

"Yes, but Costa Rica had great offense all day. They were killing it. That side scissor kick by their right midfielder was daebak!" said a familiar deep voice. She looked up to see him walk in, arms loaded with coffees and water bottles. She schooled her features to normal, expressions baring nothing. 

"Here, set it down at the end of the table, Hyung Sik-sshi. Thank you for helping carry these." PD Lee said. 

"My pleasure. Annyeong haseyo," he said, giving everybody a quick bow around the table. "Ms. Kim, Ms. Park."

"Oh why so formal, Hyung Sik-sshi," writer-nim said, "I believe you two knew each other well from previous dramas."

"That was a long time ago," he said. Turning to her, "I hope you've been well, Bo Young-sshi," as he took the seat across from her.

"Yes, thank you. I hope you are well yourself," she said. Her voice calm, her face neutral. She gave herself a mental pat in the back for matching his formality. For now she decided to ignore the under currents of their exchange.

"Everybody knows everyone here, so let's get started, shall we?" Pd Lee said, taking the seat on Hyung Sik's left. 

Ms. Kim opened her folder to take out the script. "You both are familiar with the premise of the story. Does anyone have any question before I go over the details?" Ms. Kim added, "this meeting is informal, so please, speak up if you have anything to add or ask. Thank you for being here and indulging my whim. I wanted to give you both an outline of the progression of the story and the motivations of each character."

Ms. Kim went on to speak at length. “It helps that each of you can have chemistry with anybody you work with very easily. You’ve worked really well together before, back in your younger years,” Ms. Kim said, “so I’m counting on you both to have excellent chemistry again with each other.” She went on to add, “I will leave it to both of you how to manage your rehearsals and how you decide to work together, but not until we’re a few episodes in. I wanted some natural aloofness in the beginning of the filming.”

Occasionally, Hyung Sik would ask for clarity and Ms. Kim would go more in depth about the details. Bo Young had to use everything in her power to focus and found she could do so if she doesn't look at him. So she kept her eyes trained on her script, listening to the voices, and occasionally adding her own input. 

"Mi Yeung may seem helpless but she isn't weak, " Ms. Kim went on, speaking about Bo Young's character. "She's very practical; she had to be to survive the war and her subsequent losses." She pointed to Hyung Sik, "Jung Hwa is a typical military man- he's quiet, broody, but he is tender-hearted. He takes his responsibility very seriously." She went on about the relationship between the two. "They are husband and wife, so there are skinships to be expected." She peered at each one significantly. "Please be prepared. You both are adults. It will be done tastefully obviously, but I wanted you both to know this ahead of time."

Hyung Sik is silent, so Bo Young cleared and said, "It's fine. I'm sure we are professionals and mature enough to handle this."

"Yes, of course," was his response. He could not help but glance at her after hearing what Ms. Kim said. Nor did he miss the slight pinking of her cheeks. But she wouldn't meet his eyes. 

Neither voiced the questions they had in their own minds. Exactly what is the extent of skinships writer-nim is referring to and how are they to going to survive through them this time around.