Never The End, Only Another Beginning

Will Tomorrow Come?

 

They filmed the cafeteria scene with plenty of volunteer extras, all excited and clamoring for the chance to talk and flirt with Hyung Sik. Practically all his scenes were done wearing military garb and as such, adding to his irresistable good looks. It was hardly a stretch for these women, young and old alike, to look smitten around him. Poor guy felt the realness of the flirting and his awkwardness was hardly much of an act. Used as he may be from fawning females all his life, it was still uncomfortable to be the subject of such focused admiration and lust. Hyung Sik's ears have been red through out from his embarrassment.

After a short break, they filmed their kiss scene by the stairwell. It was Bo Young's turn to be embarrassed. The set still had a few extras hanging around, so Pd Lee decided it would be a great idea to film the scene in a real stairwell of the studio building. Thus decided, he grabbed a few key people with him for the needed shot.

The stairwell was cramped, even with just a handful of the crew. Bo Young murmured to Hyung Sik that they should get the filming done quickly because the enclosed stairwell meant people were crowding more into their personal space. She felt like she was in a fishbowl, the eyes of everyone all around peering closely at them. Hyung Sik felt the same claustrophobic effect; and he didn't like the way the men seem to ogle at her when she is looking vulnerable in their intimate scenes.

So when Hyung Sik's Jung Hwa kissed her, albeit distractedly, his arms were caging her once more, covering her yet again as he leaned over her by the door, Pd had yelled cut. He asked Hyung Sik to "ease up" a bit, since the camera could hardly see any part of Bo Young. The retaken scene was done, though the two were still self conscious, it still came across passionate because it was them kissing and their chemistry cannot be denied.

Ever since their reconciliation, though they have become more comfortable with their skinships on screen, it has actually been tinged more with shyness because of them feeling that others are getting a glimpse now of their private relationship. Before, everything was all tension filled, weighted by their love not yet realized, and all that underlying emotional angst translated itself into the screen as passion so restrained, so repressed that their love scenes became all the more scorching.

After the shoot, Pd Lee talked to both privately, and though he made a point of not asking outright the state of their relationship, asked them both to try to re-immerse themselves in their role. He mentioned how they both seem to be holding back slightly which is now quite incongruent to the relationship they should be projecting: Mi Yeung and Jung Hwa have become much more comfortable expressing their love for each other having moved forward in their physical relationship. He appeased them by saying they have one last intimate scene left to shoot and try to talk with each other to make it a memorable scene, an iconic one to be remembered in the drama.

They had returned to the privacy of the stairwell and to talk amongst themselves. Bo Young felt chagrined; she has never been in this situation before and felt embarrassed to have her personal life intrude in her acting. Hyung Sik was quick to soothe her.

"It's ok, Bo Young-ie. I'm kind of glad because it means it's always just been you and me."

"But still, I’m supposed to be professional about this!" she wailed, a look of consternation settling on her face.

Hyung Sik kissed her forehead, "I'm at fault too; I don't like others seeing you look the way you do when I kiss you. You get this soft look in your eyes, your lips all tender and trembly; and when you blush i can see traces of your freckles faintly." His voice dropped to a whisper as his hand slowly caressed her lips.

"Shikkie, people will walk in on us," she said halfheartedly but unable to stop returning his light fluttery kisses. "C'mon, concentrate. We'll have to do well on this scene. But try not to be too enthusiastic, okay?"

"You know you distract me so easily. You're driving me crazy right now."

"Fine, just one kiss for now and we'll need to go back to the set. Aishh, you'll be getting enough kisses when we film."

"Hmm."

.

They continued to be so good at the sweet lovey-dovey scenes, particularly the moment when Jung Hwa asked Mi Yeung to marry him again. The bed scene in the script prior to that was shortened and was hinted at only, so they can focus more on the proposal. This in turn segued into the breakfast scene that contained more of their skinship, the last intimate scene Pd referred to previously.

“I didn’t realize you were such a romantic,” Mi Yeung said, after Jung Hwa replied in no uncertain terms, this was for them to renew their vows and not merely for show. He backed her into the counter, his lips not once leaving hers as he kissed her deeply, showing his increasing passion as he grasp her closer to him. He lifted her up onto the counter, wrapping her limbs around him as his hands travelled the length of her thighs to settle on her waist. Their position put her a head higher than him, and it was her arms that clutched around his shoulders tightly as she leaned further into him to deepen the kiss. The camera moved to capture a panoramic shot of them, of Jung Hwa’s back, her limbs entwined keeping him in place, and the slow fade out of the scene. They were both exceedingly flushed after and waited anxiously for Pd Lee’s opinion during playback. And when he only took a couple of retakes, of different camera angles, they both breathed a sigh of relief.

That evening after dinner, Hyung Sik cornered her in her kitchen. And the scene they reenacted that night would have garnered quite a severe mature content rating than any cable channels could provide.

.

She was anxious, wearing her beautiful white gown in front of him. Her makeup artist was busy pinning her flowered headpiece on. Her dress was simple as called for by the script, but she felt so conspicuously overdressed. It recalled to her mind in a flashback their last drama, when she too wore a beautiful gown for their wedding scene. That time so many years ago, she had been severely emotional, as she and Hyung Sik had spent the night before talking of their future. He did not realize she was fast nearing the time of her decision that would impact their lives in the next years. She had given herself a deadline to fix the issues that faced her then. And when those problems remained incontrovertible, she had known her future with him had to be surrendered. He had thought her emotional response had been because of their wedding scene, because of his declaration of wanting to get married as soon as possible. And even if he had any inkling then of her predicament, of the dilemma that haunted her, he made no demands for her answer, and instead had only continued to express his love. That time the bts camera had captured her teariness, how she could not keep her eyes off of him, and how he too seemed to sense some underlying heaviness from her. He was extra attentive in keeping her close to him, keeping her within his sights, holding onto her hands at all times; and all these were caught unerringly by the cameras as they filmed their scenes with everybody in front of the altar.

Now, armed with this intruding memories of the past, she could not help the anxiety that once more bloomed in her chest, making her appear emotional once again. Hyung Sik walked over to where she stood, and asked her attendants for some time alone with her. He saw her eyes, luminous with unshed tears, and discerned immediately that thoughts of their past were running in her mind. He took her hands and brought it to his lips, uncaring that others may drop by and see them in such a loving fashion.

“My love, that was then, this is now; we are in much different circumstances,” he murmured. “You and I are in a better situation now: older, I hope wiser, and certainly a whole lot braver.”

“I know. I just felt overwhelmed by those memories and the consequences that occurred after,” her voice quavering, as she looked at him. “I don’t intend to lose you again, Shikkie.”

“And I don’t intend to let you go.” And he gathered her in his arms, his heart full of love for this woman who completed him, the one who held his heart all these years in the palms of her hands, and he vowed to her nothing will ever separate them anymore.

.

.

.

Epilogue:

 

The campfire burned brightly in the dark, both their families have gathered around to indulge in its warmth. Small children, their nieces and nephews, were playing raucously amongst the adults sitting on various beach chairs and blankets. Her young sister is busy toasting marshmallows; his brother showing his own youngest daughter how to build a sand castle. On one side their moms have not stop chattering since their arrival as if they were long lost friends who finally reunited. This is their family get away, to celebrate Bo Young’s birthday and to the success of their recent drama. It has been rendered more precious when everyone was able to come and take time off from their own busy personal lives to spend this vacation together. They had cooked outdoors, swam in the ocean, played game in the beach; now in the evening everyone is relaxing in front of the sizzling, roaring campfire. Her brother in law started strumming his guitar, prompting everyone to pick up a tune and sing along old familiar trot songs to each other. His dad bowed to his mom and took her hand for a slow dance, much to the delight of everyone.

Hyung Sik whisked her away to walk along the beach, the full moon overhead giving them enough bright light to illuminate their path. They walked hand in hand along the sandy shore, stopping further aways to look out towards the dark waters, while sound of faint laughter and singing waft over them to blend with the soothing crashing waves of the sea. It was a lovely night. The stars were out in all its splendor, looking much like a child has carelessly strewn about glitter in the darkening skies.

“Thank you for this birthday, Shikkie,” she said turning to him and giving him a quick kiss. “I’m so happy everybody is here.”

“I’m glad they were all able to come. I’ve certainly hounded them for weeks on end.” He wrapped arms around her as they both leaned on each other.

“Ms. E released a statement yesterday. I think it should quiet down a bit by the time we get back to the city.” his voice muffled in her hair.

“I hope so. I don’t relish the idea of additional paparazzi dogging our every move. You’d think it was still the 15th century, the way they reacted scandalously seeing us leave the airport together. But I feel bad she had to tackle them by herself.”

“She’s perfectly capable. In fact, she told me she was glad we aren’t around when she breaks the news. It will afford her better control.”

“I suppose we can expect photographs to surface now? There’s hardly anything new. The few I’ve seen were taken way back after our first drama.” They had continued walking along the beach; she occasionally to pick up pretty looking shells.

“Don’t worry, she’ll take care of it.” He paused briefly. “ I told her to make the other announcement too.”

“What other announcement?” she asked, wiping the sand off her hands as she skipped away from the cool waters of the rushing tide.

“This.” She stopped and looked over and saw him holding up a ring with his fingers, the dainty diamond winking at her even in the fading light.

Her breath caught and her eyes met his. He walked the short distance separating them. “Tell me I wasn’t being presumptuous, that you will have me.”

His eyes searched her face, as if worried her answer would be anything else but a resounding yes. She bit her lips and held her hand to him, for him to slip the ring on. The slim band fit perfectly on her finger, looking as if it has always belonged there on her hand.

“Be with me; stay with me, Bo Young-ie,” he asked, recalling to mind the night of their reconciliation.

She moved to wrap her arms around him, her heart filled to bursting as their love for each other finally reaching this culmination. Their lives have always been entwined and now they face this new beginning.

“I will. Always. Forever.”

.

.

.

.

 

.

.

.

.

Thank you all for following the story with me.

Much love -m.