Five

Like Clockwork

Myungsoo stands in front of a mirror for five minutes. He look his figure in every angle. When he was satisfied with what he saw, he only starts to pick those clothes he tried to fit before scattered in his bed.

He can't believed to his self while looking those other clothes. He actually changed wardrobe five times.

What was happening to him? Before he only tried two clothes before deciding what to wear. What was with Nam Woohyun that made him so special? Were he wanted to notice all the good angle he had. It was an odd thought, trying to be perfect for a stranger. He was crazy.

He chose an ocean blue polo shirt, a slim blue jean, and paired with a sneakers, he only bought that shoes two nights ago. That ocean blue polo shirt he had kept that in his closet, it was a birthday present from Yeol. He can still remember how his face look likes when he saw the color. It's not that he doesn't like it, the color doesn't suit him he thinks. Everything he own was all black. But not literally black at all, he had some other colors too. But black was everything to him.

Who would have thought he would be wearing it many months from then? He intentionally kept from Yeol what he and Woohyun had talked.  If he did, for sure Yeol would be teasing him or worst he will represent his self as his chaperone.

He take a look on his wrist watch. Its already five in the afternoon. But Woohyun still not around. Did he forgot? He wondered if it was right for him to behave the way he was behaving. He yawn, then he smile.

He woke up early this morning the reason why he still feels sleepy. He was up at six, something he didn't normally do during Saturdays. Before, he only sleeps his Saturday day. He was like a bear always in a hibernate process. But something kept his listless last night. The last time he felt like this is when the day before he went to a zoo. It was his first school field trip and he was so excited he could barely sleep.

When he was done putting back his clothes to his closet. He stands in front of the mirror again, he was in that state when his phone ring.

"Hello?"

"Sir, good afternoon. You have a visitor." the receptionist of the condominium inform him.

"Who?"

"Sir, he said he was your boyfriend."

He feels nervous. Boyfriend? Is it Minseok again?

"What— what's his name? Ask for his name." He felt stupid asking that question. What would be the receptionists thinks of him? "What kind of man he is, and he doesn't even know his boyfriend name? Or he's a "play boy" and he had a lot of boyfriend and he doesn't know who come.

"Sir, your name?" He heard the receptionist asking. "Hello, Sir, he said his name is Woohyun."

"Okay, let him up." He smilingly said.

He ended the call and he got his wallet. Then it only hit him again the thought what was Woohyun doing that night in front his door unit. He have given a lot of chance to ask him, but he forgot every times.

Who was Nam Woohyun? And how real was he?

He have thought the routine call that the receptionist have done. It only means that the outsiders can't easily come and go into this building without the permission of the unit owners. It means, Woohyun knew someone in this building. Could it be a relative? A friend? But Minseok, he can easily come and go in this building if he wants to, even the guards were afraid of him.

Minseok wielded his father's influence. Is Woohyun same with him? But that's impossible.

The doorbell rings. He took a peek first on the peep hole, when he was sure it was Woohyun, he opens the door.

"Hi, how are you?" He greeted him.

"I'm fine. Just fine, come in." When Woohyun was already in, he notice a bouquet of flowers and a box of chocolates in his hand.

Woohyun catches him looking, "Oh! This is for you." Woohyun handed it to him.

"For me? Thanks." He smile.

"You look lovely." Woohyun compliments him.

"Thanks." He couldn't help but to smile wider.

"Nice, really, even the shoes."

"And where did you learn that?" He jokingly asks. It was the first time someone had complimented his footwear, not that it actually mattered what he was wearing.

Very few people noticed shoes, well no one can easily notices that, because it was on the lower part of the body. It took someone's full attention to notice them. And in truth, a lot of people would go through all the troubles looking for the perfect shoes. So complimenting it only meant the guy was acknowledging all the efforts involved, and however he looked at it, it seemed right thing to say. He once told his self if someone ever courted him, he would test whether he would pay any compliments on his footwear. And it didn't cross his mind that it will be happening this day.

"Honestly?"

"Yes, honestly." He have waited for his answer.

"I've learn it from me." He smilingly said. "Actually, I'm starving. I haven't eat my lunch."

They both laugh. "Let's go."

 

"What was the stunt you pulled at the receptionist?" Myungsoo asks Woohyun while they were in an elevator.

"What stunt?"

"You said, that you were my boyfriend."

"I am. I am your boyfriend, right?"

"When did that happened?"

"Since the first time we met. You said yes, right? If I wasn't who I was saying I was, then you shouldn't say yes before." He said while smiling.

Then he recalled the incidents that night.

"That was different."

"How different? It's you and me before. And it's still you and me now. As far as I can recall, no one push you to say yes before.

He have thought, "So, you were really my boyfriend?"

"I have already told it before, and you said it too. I'll stick to it."

He couldn't help his self but to smile. Myungsoo knows for sure his face turning into red now.

"Baby, who was that guy in your room when I came?" Woohyun asks instead.

"Some jerk who wanted me for himself." He answers.

"I didn't ask you to describe me. What I've been asking for is—" he was cut off when he notice Myungsoo was laughing.

"Do you do this to every guy you meet?" He asks.

"What? To asks him a dinner with me and came to his place to pick him up and brought some flowers and chocolates? Of course not."

"Good then."

"Only to girls I meet." He continue.

"Shut up!" He jokes.

The elevator door opens.

"So, Myungsoo, what do you do for living?" Woohyun asks him while they were walking at the lobby.

"You first."

"I was the one who asks you first."

"Let's broke up." He challenge.

"I said, me first. Actually, I'm self-employed."

"Self-employed?"

"I'm a businessman. I own a little business."

He look over him. What business Woohyun owns? A small business he said. First look, no one will said that Woohyun is struggling for living. The way he dress up, the perfume he used. It's pretty expensive he assumes. Someone who lived and owns a small business for a living, and pampered himself with designers clothes and original perfume. What kind of business he had?

"You were really a businessman?"

"Uh-huh! You?"

"I'm a teacher." He proudly say.

"Where? In preschool?"

"Nope. I'm a college professor."

"Really? Looking at you, my first impression, you do well with kids. You look like someone who had a lot of patience."

"Do you love kids?"

"Yes, I loved kids. I used to visits orphanage before. I need to watch over my business lately." A pause and "Which reminds me, I'll visit them one of this days. Wanna go?"

"Hmm. Let me think first." He simply answer.

"You'll love it there. Besides, there's something I wanna show you around."

"Seems you just want to kidnap me."

"If I ever did that, I have done it before when someone had pick me up here."

"You were with someone now?" He recall that day, he saw Woohyun rode in a car. 

"No. That wasn't my car. It's one my neighbors car."

"So, you commute?"

"No, I bring my car with me." He assures him.

"Where do you gonna take me for dinner?" He momentarily asks when the ground floor door opens.

"Come, let's go in first." Myungsoo was surprise when Woohyun take him inside the convenience store of his building.

They went over to the counter.

"Myungsoo, I'd like you to meet my cousin Sungjung." Woohyun introduces the guy behind the cash register.

"You?" the two said in unison.

Woohyun was more surprised. Did Myungsoo and Sungjung knew each other? How?