Final

Let's make it for(ever)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Baekhyun arrived to the doctor's office one cold December morning to tend his constant nausea and irritating headaches, he didn't expect to walk out of there with no solution, but with a very tiny addition to his life instead; a small smile curling up his lips and his hands splayed over his flat stomach.

Chanyeol had insisted on coming with him that day, but Baekhyun, being the stubborn being he is, convinced him that it wasn't necessary and that he was going to be okay. Two more days and his husband would be out of work for winter break, giving Baekhyun enough time to ask to be spoiled over elaborated breakfasts and afternoon cuddles on their couch to tend to his sickness. Chanyeol, being the perfect husband he claims to be, had chuckled and dropped him off at the doctor's office with just a kiss goodbye, a promise to see him later and bring the sweet bread Baekhyun likes to eat with his coffee. Chanyeol is not a big fan of sweets, but more often than not, he finds himself pinching crumbs of the bread whenever Baekhyun is not looking. It was impossible not to after a while of seeing Baekhyun doing it.

Now, Baekhyun was glad he did, he thinks as he carefully ties the mint green ribbon on top of the white gift box, skillfully twisting and pulling at the silky fabric into the perfect bow. He sits back on the bed and smiles at his work; it's just a plain box, white and squared, but it holds a meaning to Baekhyun that makes him clench his fists and take a deep, shaky breath, he can't help but feel all warm and giddy inside; but also nervous and anxious. That plain box it's going to change their lives in the most beautiful of ways and he can't wait to see his husband's face later tonight. It's their turn to host the annual Christmas dinner with their friends, Baekhyun can't think of a better moment to give the news.

Starting a family has always being an important and serious topic of conversation between them, even before getting married. Now, only six months after having tied the knot, it's happening. It had also been convenient, if you ask Baekhyun, because after weeks of figuratively smashing his head against the walls thinking about what to give Chanyeol as a Christmas gift, he realized that yes, nothing could top this.

Everything is almost ready. A soft cinnamon scent waves through the air inside their house; the Christmas tree is up, shimmering with the silver fairy lights and colorful ornaments, gift boxes already below the branches waiting to be given away later tonight; the table is cladded with an elegant white and red table cloth and a set of three candles in the center, their finest china ─a wedding gift from their moms─ already on place.

Through the window, Baekhyun can see the reflection of the Christmas lights decorating their neighbors' houses and the Song's huge inflatable snowman brightening up the already illuminated street. It's not snowing yet, but he can feel the cold seeping through the windowsills; it's perfect, Baekhyun loves the cold.

"Do I really have to wear a tie?" Chanyeol asks as he steps into the kitchen, uncomfortably pulling on the piece of clothing hanging from his neck, it's not even properly tied yet and he already feels like drowning in his own shirt.

Baekhyun is busy with last minute details on the food. "No if you don't want to." He comments distractedly, taking a spoon to dip in the corn cream to taste it.

"But I thought you said─” He stops himself when Baekhyun turns around and waiting to be scolded, he crooks an awkward smile.

"You look handsome either way." Baekhyun winks before going back to the final testing.

Chanyeol's awkward smile turns into a smirk, his fingers fastening over the silk to finally remove it so he can be able to breathe properly.

"You really outdid yourself this year, Baek." Chanyeol says, his hand resting on his husband's lower back as they stand outside the kitchen where they can have a whole view of the dining table and the living room.

"Wait to see the present I have for you." Baekhyun answers, a teasing smile dancing in his lips, eyes glinting up at the taller.

"Wha─" The doorbell rings in that moment. Chanyeol narrows his eyes suspiciously at his husband and then at the door when it rings again three consecutive times.

"Can you get that, please?" Baekhyun asks, already making his way back to the kitchen.

Chanyeol puffs his cheek on a childish way and lazily walks towards the front door. He doesn't need to ask who it is because he already has an idea. There's only one person he knows that can ring a bell that obnoxiously and get away with it.

"Hi, Luhan." Chanyeol says, doing his best to smile at his brother in law. It's not that he doesn't like Luhan, it's just that he has a very special personality: he's loud, he cries a lot and he can be a little bit of a sometimes; plus the fact that he doesn't know what personal space is. You don't mess with Luhan or the ones he loves. Ever.

"Chanyeol!" Luhan exclaims, opening his arms for Chanyeol to make the first move. Sighing, Chanyeol takes a step forward and what he planned to be a fast hug, turned out to be a bone-crushing lock of arms around his body. "How are you?"

"I'm─"

"Where is my baby brother?"

"He's─"

"Baekhyun!"

"Right." Chanyeol mumbles. Luhan is making his way inside, heading to the kitchen. "Hi, Min." He then says to the other man standing outside.

"Hi, Yeol." Minseok smiles. "Can I come in?" He asks.

"Of course." Chanyeol steps aside to let the other inside and as he watches Minseok's back disappear from behind the wall dividing the living room and the drawing room, he wonders how's that someone like Minseok ended up with someone like Luhan. They're complete opposites; while Minseok is polite and has manners, Luhan is kind of rude and careless; Minseok is quiet and he rarely indulges in conversations that are not directed to him; unlike Luhan, who likes to stick his nose on everything.

But although Luhan is all that and maybe more, he's a great brother. He's always there for Baekhyun. He always has been, Chanyeol can't really deny that.

When Chanyeol walks back into the living room, Luhan has Baekhyun trapped in his arms, mumbling something along the lines of , it's been months since the last time we saw each other and why didn't you call me? Baekhyun looks uncomfortable crushed in his brother's arms; he turns his head around to give him a pleading look, but Chanyeol knows better than to meddle with Luhan's affairs.

"Want something to drink, Min?" He asks instead, directing his eyes to the other male sitting on the couch. Baekhyun narrows his eyes giving him a betrayed look.

"Yeah, sure. Thanks." Minseok nods his head and stands up to follow Chanyeol into the kitchen.

"And tell me, little bro. How's the married life treating you?" Luhan asks with a teasing tone as they both sit down.

"Great, actually I─"

"How many times a week do you do it?"

Baekhyun frowns and blinks, confused for a second until he understands what his brother is talking about. "Lu!"

"What? I've always thought that the key for a good marriage is communication and good ." He shrugs. "So, how many times?"

"I'm not going to─" He's interrupted by the doorbell ringing again. Chanyeol peeks his head from the kitchen door, but Baekhyun it's already getting up. "I'll go!" He exclaims, more as an excuse to escape from his brother's prying questions.

"Thank you!" Baekhyun says as soon as he opens the door, releasing a long breath.

His friends quirk a curious eyebrow at him. "What did we miss?"

"Luhan is here." Baekhyun answers. They both purse their lips on a perfectly shaped o, understanding the situation. "Come on in." He urges them. "Guys! Kyungsoo and Jongin are here!" Baekhyun exclaims, the front door still open.

Chanyeol is the first one to come out of the kitchen with his arms open, receiving them both with a hug. Jongin and he have been best friends since their first day in kindergarten and he sort of has a love story with Kyungsoo, before meeting Baekhyun. They managed to remain as friends thanks to Jongin and because Baekhyun assured them it didn't bother him at all. And it doesn't, Baekhyun knows that whatever they had in high school, they are both over it and now, Kyungsoo is marrying Jongin in a few months, not wanting to be the only unmarried couple remaining in their group of friends.

"I missed you guys!" Chanyeol says as he envelopes them with his long arms at the same time.

"I still don't know how you never get jealous whenever Kyungsoo is around." Luhan mumbles next to him.

Baekhyun just rolls his eyes and pats his brother's shoulder before heading off to the kitchen for more drinks.

"It's Junmyeon and Jongdae here?" Kyungsoo asks, sitting down with the glass of wine Baekhyun just offered him.

"Not yet."

Kyungsoo hums with the lid of his glass pressed against his lips. "They called me earlier and told me they were on their way." He says after taking a sip of his drink. “And that was two hours ago.”

"They should be here soon." Chanyeol says as he plops down on the couch next to his husband, draping an arm over his shoulder. "Junmyeon probably got lost again." He takes a sip of his wine, his eyes darting down, eyebrows curiously furrowing at Baekhyun's empty hands. "You're not drinking?"

"Uh?" Baekhyun looks at him, confused for a moment. "Oh. No, I don't really feel like─"

"But is Christmas." Chanyeol smiles, swinging his glass in front of Baekhyun's eyes.

"I don't─" He's interrupted by the shrilling sound of the doorbell. Sighing in relief, Baekhyun gets on his feet. "I'll get it." Chanyeol nods, not thinking much about the older's behavior.

"I told you to turn right!" It's what greets Baekhyun the moment he opens the door. "But no! You always have to not listen to me and do whatever you want! That's why we always get lost!" Baekhyun stands there, unfazed, patiently waiting for his friends to stop arguing─ more like for Jongdae to stop yelling at his husband.

Junmyeon looks unbothered. He smiles at Baekhyun and shrugs. Sometimes Baekhyun wonders how do they managed. Junmyeon gets easily distracted and Jongdae is kind of a control freak.

"Hey, Baek." Jongdae says once he has stopped his blabbering and steps in to give him a hug; then Junmyeon does the same, quietly apologizing for being late and for his husband's outburst.

"You got lost, right?" Chanyeol asks the moment he sees them walking in the living room.

"Because he never listens to me!" Jongdae exclaims, pointing an accusatory finger at Junmyeon.

"Ha!" Chanyeol jumps to his feet, sounding victorious. "Pay up, ." He extends his hand towards Jongin and grumbling, his friend pulls out of his wallet a bill and slams it in Chanyeol's hand.

"They always get lost, I don't know why you keep betting on them." Kyungsoo mumbles near Jongin's ear. They can hear Chanyeol's loud laughter booming through the walls.

"Well, since everyone's here already, we should go to the table. Food is ready."

Baekhyun doesn't need to say anything else. Seven hungry men make their way to the dining area, loudly and messily. The food is all set, ready to be devoured. And so they do.

"This is amazing." Luhan speaks with his mouth full of steak, nodding his head approvingly.

"Thank you." Chanyeol replies, proudly.

"I highly doubt you had anything to do with all this." Kyungsoo scoffs, waving his hand around the dishes presented all over the table. "If I remember correctly, you couldn't even boil water without burning your mom's kitchen curtains."

“He still can’t.” Baekhyun announces. A chorus of laughter ripples through the table. Chanyeol looks down at his plate, pouting. Kyungsoo isn't wrong. "He did help, though." Baekhyun adds, patting his thigh from under the table.

Dinner goes smoothly among loud chatter, laughter and sharing stories about what they've been up to this past few months they haven't seen each other. Jongdae tells them about the last patient he helped give birth to, going into gory details as only Jongdae knows; Luhan tells them about Minseok’s promotion at work and Kyungsoo and Jongin how they're planning on moving in together before the wedding. Baekhyun smiles throughout the whole conversation, gripping tightly and proudly his husband's hand when he tells them how he is now Head of the music department at the Faculty he works in.

"How about you, Baek?" Kyungsoo asks, cutting a bite of blueberry pie with his fork. "You've been really quiet."

"Me? Well, I─"

"Tell them, babe." Chanyeol encourages him.

"I've been offered a new─ higher position at the hospital."

"Really? That's awesome!" Luhan exclaims.

"But I'm not sure if I'm going to take the offer." Baekhyun says sheepishly, dropping his eyes to the plate so he can pick a berry.

"What?" Chanyeol frowns, turning to look at him surprised. "Why? You were really excited when you told me last week."

"I changed my mind. I just don't think it's the best moment to do it." Baekhyun shrugs.

"Why not? I mean, it's a great opportunity. We both agreed that if an opportunity like this presented to us we were going to take it."

An awkward silence fills the room. "I know, it's just─" Baekhyun sighs. "Can we open the presents now?" He asks, looking around the table.

The rest of his friends nod quickly, getting on their feet and rushing off to the living room to give the couple a moment alone.

"We’re talking about our future here, Baek, and all you can think about are the presents?" Chanyeol quirks an eyebrow.

Baekhyun frowns and stares at Chanyeol for a moment, confused by his husband's sudden odd behavior. He opens his mouth to say something, only to close it again when he realizes he doesn't really have anything to say; Baekhyun didn't expect at all for Chanyeol to react this way. Yes, they had made plans long ago, including taking better jobs to save money and have no problems in case a baby happened. They wanted it and it was in their life plans, but none of them thought it would be this soon.

Chanyeol doesn't know yet, Baekhyun can't blame him for his reaction and still, he can't shake off the intense urge to cry. A wave of insecurities suddenly crashes against him, making his chest tighten. What if Chanyeol doesn't want this? What if it's too soon? What if instead of making their lives happier he just ruins them? What if his marriage crumbles after this?

Baekhyun shakes his head, that can't be. Chanyeol loves him, he wouldn't leave him... right?

"Baekhyun." Chanyeol calls him and Baekhyun regains his focus on the taller, noticing his slightly heavy breathing. A sign that he has been talking non-stop, but Baekhyun hadn't heard a word, too lost in his negative thoughts. "Are you even listening to me?"

Baekhyun blinks and without saying a word, he turns around and leaves for their bedroom. Chanyeol watches with his mouth agape as his husband's back disappears in the dark hallway; a minute later he's back, holding in his hands a small white box with a mint green bow on top.

"Here, your present." Baekhyun says flatly, avoiding Chanyeol's eyes.

Chanyeol takes the box, looks down at it and then up at his husband. Then again, he tries to say something, but before he can even utter a word, Baekhyun is walking away again, back to their bedroom. Still confused about the box, Chanyeol moves to the living room. His friends' chatter instantly dies the moment they see him walking in.

"Where is Baekhyun?" Luhan asks, his expression turning into a frown. "What is that?"

"I─ he's─ uh... I think I screwed up?" Chanyeol mumbles.

"You think?" Kyungsoo scoffs.

Chanyeol ignores his friend’s words while he slowly pulls at the ribbon and the bow disentangles, falling onto the floor. Carefully, he lifts the box's lid and removes the silky white cloth; Chanyeol frowns as he takes the two pieces of photography paper, handling them carefully with his fingers. He feels his heart beating in his ears, breath hitching and his blood rushing down to his feet, making him feel dizzy. Baekhyun is─

"Oh my god." Jongdae says, covering his mouth with both of his hands.

"He's─"

"Pregnant?" Jongin peeks over Chanyeol's shoulder. "He's pregnant." He confirms. "You're an idiot." Jongin adds, whacking Chanyeol on the back of his head.

"What the─" Chanyeol glares, but he quickly forgets about that, the matter on his hands right now being more important. "He's pregnant." Chanyeol says to himself. "And I─ I yelled at him."

"I think you should go and talk to him." Minseok says, getting nods of approval from the rest.

"I'm really sorry guys. I─”

"It’s okay.” Minseok shakes his head. “Lu." He calls. "I think we should go too and give them some privacy."

"Where to? I don't think we'll find anything at this hour today of all days." Luhan crosses his arms against his chest.

“Lu─”

"You can stay with us." Junmyeon offers. "We have an extra room."

"Yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you." Minseok smiles.

"But─"

"Babe, let's go." Minseok takes his husband by the arm and drags him to the door, followed by Junmyeon and Jongdae.

"Good luck." Kyungsoo pats Chanyeol's shoulder.

"You're an idiot." Jongin repeats, shaking his head, chuckling in disappointment as he walks past him.

Once alone, Chanyeol doesn't waste any more time. He clutches the sonograms against his chest and rushes to their bedroom. To his relief, the lights are still on; Baekhyun is sitting on his side of the bed, crossed-leg and a pillow over his lap. He doesn't lift his head even when he hears the door opening, if anything, it only makes him more anxious. Baekhyun bites his lower lip and fidgets with his fingers, pulling on the skin around his nails until it stings; he doesn't dare to look at Chanyeol, still scared of what he's got to say.

Baekhyun had thought that today would be the best day of their lives. Chanyeol was supposed to be crying of happiness, they were supposed to be celebrating with their friends, drinking hot chocolate while opening the rest of the presents and yet... why is he feeling like an iron anvil is crushing his chest? Making it hard for him to breathe.

"Baek─"

"You don't want it, do you?" Baekhyun asks, wanting a quick answer so they can be done with this as fast as possible.

"What?"

"I should have told you as soon as I found out. I shouldn't have waited, I just thought─"

"Hey." Chanyeol moves fast across the room, climbing on the bed to sit in front of his trembling husband. "Stop that." He says, taking Baekhyun's hand and enveloping them with his own to stop him from keep scratching his fingers. "I'm sorry I yelled at you, and in front of our friends. That was insensitive of me." Baekhyun's still not looking at him. "Baek, baby, you didn't even give me time to react properly─"

"Are you... blaming me?"

"No! No, of course not." Chanyeol answers quickly. "What I mean is, you should have stayed. I─ I can't believe you're─ oh my god, I mean─ we're going to be parents." He mumbles.

Baekhyun slowly looks up, eyes wide and mouth slightly opened. "So you... you're not mad?"

"Why would I be mad? You just gave me the best gift I could ever wish for." Chanyeol says, bringing Baekhyun's hands up to his mouth and kissing his knuckles over and over.

"You're not just saying this to make me feel better, right?"

"No! God no." He laughs. "You have no idea of how much I am holding myself back. I really, really want to kiss you right now."

"Kiss me, then." Baekhyun asks him with low tone, moving his hand up to craddle the younger's cheek.

Chanyeol doesn't need to be asked twice. He leans in, pressing their lips together for a second before he starts moving. He does it slow, still tasting a little of the blueberry pie on his husband's mouth; there's no rush and he wants Baekhyun to feel everything he's feeling in the moment, because Chanyeol is sure there are no words to describe the way his heart is beating or how his stomach is doing somersault after somersault. Baekhyun then wraps his hands around his neck and tilts his head to the side, opening his mouth to allow Chanyeol in. Baekhyun moans into his husband's mouth and that is enough to set his body on fire, but he's still conscious of the situation and before things can escalate higher, he pulls away. Baekhyun whines as a complaint and attempts to pull him back in.

"Wait, wait." Chanyeol removes himself from Baekhyun's body and kneels next to him. "Baek... you're pregnant." Baekhyun smiles widely and nods. "We're gonna have a baby. A tiny you─"

"─or you─"

"With your eyes─"

Baekhyun shakes his head and takes his husband's hands to drag him down again. "I want them to have your eyes."

"And your nose." Chanyeol presses their foreheads together. "And your lips and he's going to be so tiny─"

"He?"

"Or she. I don't really care." Chanyeol grins. He slides down and slowly lifts Baekhyun's sweater, revealing his flat stomach. He shivers at the feeling of the cold air in the room on his warm skin. "Hi baby." He says, resting his hands over the older's ribs.

"Yeol." Baekhyun gasps at the freezing hands. "I─I doubt it can hear you─ yet."

"It's alright." He smiles down at his stomach. "I just want to say that we can't wait to have you in our arms." Chanyeol starts and at that, a warm smiles spreads on Baekhyun's lips. He moves his hands up to place them over the one's of Chanyeol, locking their fingers together. "You're going to have the best of the best, baby. We're gonna make sure of that." Then he presses a small kiss right above Baekhyun's navel.

Baekhyun can't help it, his heart is racing and he can feel the warm spreading in his chest at the sight; Chanyeol is looking at his stomach with such tenderness it makes him feel like a complete fool for even doubting his husband. How could he even think that Chanyeol would not want a baby─ their baby when he has this huge heart? Sometimes Baekhyun thinks it's impossible for someone to be so kind and sweet, but Chanyeol proves him wrong again and again.

"Yeol." Baekhyun mumbles, poking the younger’s head.

"Hmm?" Chanyeol lifts his head, he's still smiling.

"Can we get some hot chocolate?"

"Oh... yes. Yes, of course." Chanyeol says, too eager to comply. He jumps off the bed and rushes out of the bedroom, but not even five seconds later, he's back, peeking his head over the door. "Marshmallows?"

"Yes, please." Baekhyun answers with a sheepish tone.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter