ㅤㅤ[PROLOGUE] EPISODE ONE

ㅤㅤ"AND WHAT WOULD YOUR PARENTS SAY ?" / MISSION START !
main
prologue
episode one
ryeojun has been here more often than not.

it starts with "special trips" with his grandma: her striding forward with the drive of a steam engine as he wraps himself up in the folds of her skirt. she tells him that he doesn't have to go every time, but he insists. part of him wants a slice of adventure in his life (even if that adventure is merely a five minute errand run) and part of him hates to sit too long in the empty house by himself. he seeks refuge in her skirt and only leaves the comfort of the cotton when they're safely inside.

it continues when she is too tired to get up in the morning and her eyes slowly blink open when he knocks on her door. she points toward her bedside table and he gingerly snatches the worn out prescription. it is soft between his fingers, like the folds of a skirt. he rubs it between his palms as he makes the five minute pilgrimage. the familiar jingle of the bell at the threshold feels like a hearty "welcome home". he holds up the prescription with a sloppy smile and leans on the counter to see if he can spot him.

ryeojun is magnetized to the place like a moth to a flame. the antiseptic almost begins to smell fragrant.

today he finds himself with a bloody nose and a massive welt on his forehead. his head is tilted back to help staunch the blood, tissue pressed up against his nostrils. from this angle, he can see the boy rifling through the freezer. even from a couple feet away he can see the irritation blooming along the boy's brow and the telltale frown tugging down his lips. 

"what's wrong with you. seriously." the boy says, eyes rolling before his fingers are even done moving.

ryeojun offers him a shrug and a cheeky grin in response. the boy rolls his eyes for the umpteenth time, tossing his cellular to ryeojun without a word.

"explain" the screen reads. 

"i just wanted to look into that house!!! u know the creepy one? and i thought i heard someone coming so i tried to make a run for it but i ran into a pole instead."

the boy's face contorts into an exaggerated expression of disgruntlement. he throws his hands up in the air, moving toward ryeojun with a hostility that ryeojun barely flinches away from. he s the phone into ryeojun's face. 

"stupid" says the screen.

"i love you, joowon <3" ryeojun responds.

joowon scoffs, giving ryeojun's forehead a flick in retaliation. ryeojun whines, but doesn't counterattack. he sits with the tissue stuck up his nose and allows joowon to place the ice pack onto the welt. 

the pack is wrapped in cotton towels, soft against his forehead like the folds of a skirt.