The storm.

The Silver Tree [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3. The storm.

 

Mi-young went around in circles outside the King’s quarters, waiting for the doctors to exit and give them some kind of news. She was terrified because she couldn’t wait and embrace her husband once again, once he had recovered the color on his face. He was so pale when he fell from his horse, almost like a ghost. When she was able to go through the multitude surrounding him after the fall, he had blood on his head and his pulse was so weak she waited the worse. Luckily, her brave Tae Hyung took the initiative and rode towards the palace holding his father tightly in his arms. Everyone had complained, because the protocol said the King mustn’t be without protection. But it was the fastest way to reach the Palace and the doctors and Mi-young couldn’t stand the idea of losing her beloved Seung-hyun.

 

"We should not have moved him so promptly." Fourth Prince Yeon Jun, who was also waiting outside with the rest of the family, said. "Besides, why is only the First Prince allowed to be inside? He should not be there." 

 

"YEON JUN!" the Crown Prince yelled. He was the one who brought father here and saved his life. I do not think is time for your reprimands, again." 

 

"If you have just listened to me… I was right." 

 

"YES! You are so clever you never make mistakes. We got it, now, could we please support each other for a while?" 

 

Yeon Jun sat next to one of the pillars in the porch and started to read a book. It was raining, so he had nowhere else to go to avoid his family. Ever since the next legitimate prince was born, Yeon Jun hadn’t been able to control his jealousy. Not only he was degraded from Second Prince to Fourth (also, not so long after that, his uncle Daesung got married and had a son, Third Prince Jimin), but he also had to witness how the First Prince Tae Hyung excelled. Before, people at Court used to say that Crown Prince Jeongwan had the heart, but that Prince Yeon Jun had the intellectual competences to rule the nation. When Tae Hyung arrived, things changed. He couldn’t understand how his sister, Fourth Princess Ha Yi, had accepted to be replaced. Maybe it was because Chaeyoung was a beautiful angel whose only sin was to be the daughter of Queen Mi-young, the Chinese princess, and she didn't see her as a threat.

 

At first, Yeon Jun thought the Queen truly tried to be kind and loving towards them, but books and logic told him it was not possible for a mother to love equally both her biological and adopted children. Books never lied.

 

"Sorry, brother."

 

After a few more minutes waiting, the First Prince Tae Hyung got out of the chambers to tell the news to his family. He had to wait inside the palace for a while to calm himself down a little, because he had to face the rest with all the tranquility he could.

 

"And?" 

 

"He is alive, brother."

 

Everyone sighed in relieve, and the Queen and the Crown Prince Jeongwan hugged each other, to celebrate that the bad moment had gone.

 

"But the Great Doctor and father would like to speak to you, mother."

 

Mi-young ended the embrace and looked at Jeongwan, scared. The Crown Prince let her go and waited with his other two siblings outside. She knew that once she entered the room, Jeongwan and Yeon Jun would hammer Tae Hyun with a bunch of questions.

 

She walked through the King’s residence until she reached his chambers, inside, only the King and the Great Doctor were waiting for her. She felt relieved, because, with so few people in the room, she could express her emotions freely. In fact, she didn’t think it twice before fling herself into Seung-hyun’s arms. Mi-young had been so scared to lose her husband that it almost her frightened, of how unconditionally she could love him, even after twenty-one years of marriage.

 

"My Queen." he whispered, making Mi-young panick, because his voice was so weak and his face so unnaturally pale.

 

"The King is steady, from now, your highness." the doctor assured.

 

"But?"

 

"He has a fearfully high blood pressure, your highness." 

 

"Which means?"

 

Seung-hyun didn’t want to tell her what was happening, because he felt like he wasn’t ready to face the truth. Luckily, the doctors spoke for him.

 

"It means he is not allowed to go out of his chambers for a while, until we figure out how to fix it. At first, we thought he was just tired… but with acupuncture his majesty should have improved. But he does not…

 

"So, bed and rest. Am I wrong?" 

 

"Well, your highness… if we cannot decrease his blood pressure, his majesty will keep fainting and losing consciousness." 

 

"I do not understand… what are the consequences?"

 

Mi-young fixated her eyesight on her husband’s face. He was trying to stay calm, but she understood all his facial expressions, and that one was telling her that he was a bundle of nerves on the inside. But she let him explain.

 

"We are not sure yet, but the attacks might increase their intensity… They can be anytime and anywhere."

 

A loud lighting startled Mi-young enough seconds to let Seung-hyun wipe his own tears without letting his wife notice he was scared. Because, although he knew that death was inevitable, he feared he hadn’t had enough time to settle everything so his wife and children would not have to struggle with a chaotic kingdom. He was terrified because he needed more time. Big raindrops and strong wind echoed through the Palace words, but, Mi-young was able to calm a little and hold her husband’s hand tightly, waiting for an answer.

 

"And?" she needed to know all the consequences.

 

"One day, I might not wake up again, my Queen." 

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

Chaeyoung felt so pissed at the lack of information she was getting from her maids, not even promising she would wake up soon every morning without hesitation and gift them with all the presents seemed to work, because they remained silent.

 

"You should do like my father, lord Park Houng-Jun, and threat everyone to decrease their rations of food, princess. It works, most of the time. Until they get angry and put laxatives into my father’s food… That is so funny!"

 

"I am not going to do that, it is mean, lady Jisoo!"

 

"Maybe, but you do not know how funny it is to see father not being able to leave his private chambers for a few days… so funny."

 

"Lady Jisoo, you should not be disrespectful with your father." the Black Pearl, lady Yuri intervened.

 

Both ladies paled at the view of lady Kwon Yuri. She was the Queen’s and the princess’ Security Chief and the best swordfighter in all Joseon, so strong not even men were able to defeat her. Long before she became a permanent member of the Court, she used to be a pirate of the legendary Silver Dragons, a group controlled by her brother, lord Kwon Jiyong. And, after she got her Royal Pardon, she decided to stay at Court, protecting the Royal Family.

 

Her other two brothers decided to leave, the youngest one, Lord Seung-hyun, was the Korean ambassador at the Forbidden City, and the oldest, Kwon Jiyong disappeared twenty years ago when her dearest princess Taeyeon suddenly died. Nobody knew if he was still alive. Back then, Lady Kwon Yuri was known as the Black Pearl, and even the leaders of the Japanese pirates feared her, because rumors said she could kill a hundred men alone. So, of course Jisoo wasn’t going to discuss anything with her: it might cost her life.

 

"Alright, Lady Yuri."

 

A few minutes later, the Second Prince, Choi Daesung, asked for an audience with the First Princess, who, eager for good news, ran towards the door and opened it so fast it startled the lord.

 

"For Heavens' sake, First Princess! I got scared."

 

"Forgive me, uncle. But, please, I would like to know how my father is.

 

"Would you mind if I sit before? I am exhausted."

 

Chaeyoung tried to be a good hostess and also offered to her uncle some warm green tea. Winter hadn’t yet come, but that autumn was being especially cold.

 

"That would not be necessary, I will leave soon. But thank you, my niece." 

 

"Any news?"

 

Jisoo hold tightly one the princess’ hands, to give her strength in case things were going bad.

 

"The King is alive."

 

Chaeyoung couldn’t help it but stood up and hugged her uncle so tightly that he almost couldn’t breathe.

 

"First Princess!" he complained.

 

"Sorry, uncle." and she moved.

 

"I know you are happy, but do not kill your uncle too soon. I have lots of things to do yet." 

 

"Sorry!" 

 

"Do not apologize for everything, Chaeyoung, I was just joking."

 

Chaeyoung hugged her uncle once again and Daesung gave it back with a wide smile. One of the best things her uncle had (from the princess point of view) was his big smile, it could warm even the coldest heart. They were interrupted by one of the eunuchs, who was asking for permission from the outside.

 

"The Left State Councilor is here, Second Prince Daesung."

 

"Tell him I will be with him at the Royal Bureau in a few minutes." 

 

"I am afraid he insists, milord."

 

Daesung rolled his eyes and gave Chaeyoung and Jisoo a warning finger.

 

"If the Left State Councilor is insisting it’s because something wrong has happened, so, nothing leaves this room, alright?" Both ladies nodded. "If the information leaks, I will know it was you and I will ask lady Yuri to scold you, am I clear?" 

 

"Crystal clear, uncle." Chaeyoung gulped because she was just too scared of lady Yuri.

 

They sat around the table at the center of the room, waiting for the Left State Councilor entrance. His name was Kim HeeChul, former lord of spies (he used to be in charge of the Royal Investigation Bureau, what mainly meant he was in charge of knowing what happened in every corner of the Kingdom). He was also Crown Princess Seung-wan’s father and guardian of three remarkable young men: Koo Jun Hoe (current lord of spies), Byun Baekhyun and lord Park Chanyeol.

 

One of the most trustworthy friends of the Queen and the First Palace Lady, lady Chaerin. When she was younger, Chaeyoung feared him because he had a missing hand and it was quite scary, but, after knowing how many sacrifices he had made for her family, the princess learned to truly respect him. If she had to choose a role-model, it would be lord Kim HeeChul.

 

"Forgive me, First Princess, but I have urgent matters to talk with the Chief State Councilor, Prince Daesung." 

 

"You are always welcomed, Left State Councilor." 

 

"Tell me what’s happening…" Daesung insisted. 

 

"As you know, we tried to keep the King’s condition as secret as possible, to avoid unnecessary chaos." 

 

"Yes, those were mine’s and the Queen’s direct orders." 

 

"Well, I have been informed by my ward, the lord of spies, that the Chinese ambassador knows about our King’s current state and has sent a messenger to the Emperor." 

 

"WHAT?!" Daesung yelled. "NOT EVEN THE ROYAL CHILDREN KNOW ABOUT THAT?! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE?!"

 

Chaeyoung felt betrayed with the last words of his uncle and the rage she felt for his lies made her stop breathing. “So, he has come to my chambers and lied to me… how dared him?! I deserve to know the truth. King Seng-hyun is my father.” Jisoo, knowing that she might lose her temper in front of his uncle after such a careless confession, hold her hand tightly, trying to get some of the bad energy that was consuming her friend. Chaeyoung started to breathe as usual once more.

 

"We are not sure yet, but I fear one of the Royal Physicians works for the Chinese ambassador. Koo Jun Hoe, lord Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun are already investigating them." 

 

"Very well… I will speak immediately to the Queen to change the King’s physicians just for precaution. And… put extra vigilance to the Chinese ambassador’s movements to avoid any more leaks." 

 

"I will ask the Thai ambassador for help. They live in the same area so he can monitor him closer than us."

 

"What can we promise him, lord HeeChul?" 

 

"He wants to get better trade conditions with ceramics and rice, your majesty." 

 

"Well then, tell him the State Council and the Crown Prince will receive him tomorrow morning for further discussion. Also, tell the lord of spies to do whatever it takes to find the messenger before he informs the emperor. Good luck, my friend."

 

Lord HeeChul nodded and before leaving the room approached the princess, so close that he could sense how she was trembling and trying to control her anger.

 

"Do not blame your uncle for the direct orders of the king, First Princess. He did not wish to scare you."

 

Then, he left, and Daesung got ready for his niece’s reprimands. Usually, neither Seung-hyun nor Mi-young could understand how they had been able to raise a princess as sweet as Chaeyoung… Mi-young thought she took her deceased mother’s personality and nothing from her and Seung-hyun thought she was the first one in his family to show such sweetness… but, when she was angry…

 

"HOW DID YOU DARE TO LIE TO ME, UNCLE?! ARE YOU INSANE?! WHAT DID I DO TO YOU, SACK OF WINE?! DO.NOT.EVER.TALK.TO.ME.AGAIN…" she paused for a second. "EVERYONE EXCEPT LADY JISOO… TAKE A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT PIER AND LEAVE THIS ROOM. NOOOOOWWW!" 

 

Yes, it was in moments like those when Chaeyoung showed how alike she was to her father.

 

 

 

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

 

 

 

His Empress had been a blessing to reinforce his power in the Empire, and, since she had already fulfilled her destiny as the mother of six sons (the only male heirs he had, not a single concubine had given birth to a male heir) and two healthy daughters (as the oracles had promised), the Gods had decided to take her with them. The Emperor was going to miss her, but he was glad her family had lost influence in the Forbidden City after her death. The last members of the Ming Clan were almost gone, and, finally, after almost fifty years of struggle, his dynasty seemed to be in absolute control.

 

"His Imperial Majesty, the Imperial Children are here."

 

The King stood up from his throne and started to descend to greet his eight children properly. They entered according to the Imperial Throne according to their age, being Yixing the first one he saw. His heir, the Imperial Crown Prince who united, at last, the Ming and the Qing, bringing for once peace to the Empire. He was a handsome looking prince, as strong and intelligent as his deceased wife. He was far less temperamental than him, which would be positive once he became the Emperor. If he was also able to avoid his empathy to control him.

 

"My children… I am delighted to see you all, healthy. Please, take a seat and enjoy this meal with your father."

 

"You are so kind, your Imperial Majesty." Cheng Xiao said while she helped Tzuyu to sit properly.

 

"Could I sit near his Imperial Highness?" Tzuyu asked. "I have not seen father in days and I am sad." 

 

"Tzuyu! You must call him the Emperor!" Yi En scolded her. "Do you remember what your governess says?" 

 

"Yes… but I miss father-Emperor very much since mother went to sleep." 

 

"Ha, ha, ha, ha!" the Emperor laughed. "I am sorry, Second Imperial Princess. Come near your father if you wish." 

 

"Take my seat, little Tzuyu." Yixing offered her.

 

The little princess smiled and ran towards the Emperor, bowing as politely as she could to balance her previous lack of manners.

 

"Very well, princess. Now, shall we eat?" 

 

"Of course, your Imperial Highness-father."

 

She smiled with one of those big smiles of hers, showing how her missing baby teeth in the process and Yixing knew Yi En’s and Cheng Xiao’s plan was successfully working. He was impressed by Tzuyu’s acting skills, honestly: only five years old and she already knew how to manipulate the Emperor of the Qing Dynasty, that little monster.

 

"I am glad you have forgotten the protocols a little, your Imperial Highness." Jia Er mentioned. "Little Tzuyu and little Cheng Xiao have been really sad ever since mother died. I am happy to see them laugh thanks to your consideration. They had hardly been able to focus on their education for the past few weeks because of their constant tears."

 

It was true that everyone was sad and that their tutors had been quite comprehensive and less demanding, to give them time to heal their wounds. But… well, according to Yixing, Jia Er words' were intentionally exaggerated. Both Cheng Xiao and Tzuyu were stronger than people thought.

 

"Why have not been informed of my own daughter’s conditions, Third Imperial Prince Jia Er?" 

 

"Because Emperor-father is always busy and I didn’t want to worry him…" Tzuyu answered. "Sorry." 

 

"I need to be informed of these things, little princess. Especially if they affect the health of the Imperial Children." 

 

"Of course your Imperial Majesty." Yixing added, following his brother's plan. "Since I am the eldest I should have informed you as soon as I knew about the princesses’ condition. But like little Tzuyu, I did not want to disturb you from your responsibilities." he bowed a little on the table, showing his respect. "Forgive your son, because he has failed you, your Imperial Highness."

 

But if Tzuyu was starting to learn how to manipulate the Emperor, Yixing had mastered that art long before her. The Emperor wasn’t an attentive and devoted father, he had never been. The Empress used to say it was because of his obsession with power and wishes to consolidate his Dynasty, mixed with a quite strict upbringing. But Yixing also knew how proud he was of his grown-up sons, and knew how to use that information for his own benefit.

 

"There is nothing to forgive unless you repeat the same mistake again, Crown Prince." 

 

"It will not happen again, I swear, father."

 

And he also knew that although protocols did not consider appropriate for the Imperial Children to address the Emperor as “father”, Yixing knew that, sometimes, he liked it. It made the Emperor feel closer to his family.

 

"The Emperor is right, elder brother." Chen intervened, to support his siblings in their process to manipulate the Emperor. Apparently, Yi En had had time to inform all his siblings about his plans for that night. "Our priority right now is to find a solution to cure our younger sisters’ sadness." 

 

"Indeed, it is our priority." Yixing added. "What would you suggest? With the permission of his Imperial Majesty." 

 

The Emperor, glad to see how his sons collaborated with each other said nothing. Also one of his biggest fears was that because of power, the struggle to establish the Qing Dynasty would be useless if his sons fought against each other to get the throne. As for that moment, it seemed they had

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter