Darkchild.

Darkchild.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lee 'Joon' Changsun takes off from Barborosa Island in search of adventure!

Rookie pilot shocks old-timers in the famous 'Darkchild'!

'Joon' in search of reliable mechanic after sabotage attempt!

There we go. Nothing new then. 

I sighed, placing the three papers back on the employees shared dining table, downing my coffee in one fell swoop. I rubbed my tired eyes, only serving to smear more dark grease across them. 

I had pulled an all-nighter the night previous, in order to complete my latest project. The repairs had come with a reasonable sum of money, and even a little sub heading in the local paper. However small, I appreciated publicity. During this mess of a war, it's so much more difficult to gain useful clients. 

And so, a scant month ago, I had signed up for a paid mechanics program at the military base, and since then I had achieved a steady clientele. I grinned into my empty cup. 

Things were finally looking up for Bang Cheolyong. 

---

A few weeks later in the blustery cool autumn air, the drone of engines could be heard in the distance. I looked up from the axel I was working on to turn my eyes skyward, easily spotting the plane in the distance. I tucked my wrench into my belt and moved to stand with the man I shared my working space with. 

"Can you pick it, G.O.?" He squinted his eyes, and placed a hand over them, staring out through the heavy doors towards the nearing plane. 

"From this distance I'd say it'd have to be a Focke-Wulf 190. And by the colouring-"

"It's the Darkchild!"

"Quick! Come look- it's Joon!"

"You mean the Lee Changsun?"

"The Darkchild!"

I looked around at our neighboring mechanics and rolled my eyes. This fanfare was ridiculous. We're in the middle of a war and these men were busy squealing like they were at a concert. 

"C'mon, Mir! You have to at least admit he's a great pilot! Have you read the reports? I mean- Wow look!"

I looked where he pointed and saw the Darkchild pivoting and twisting gracefully through the skies. 

"So what if he's talented? We're in a war and he's playing backseat hero!"

"Cheolyong, you know that he fought for our country! And if you read those articles for once, you'd know that he still does!"

I just scoff, wiping my hands off on an oily rag. 

"Come on, Byunghee, they'll want us to go salute him and give the plane a once-over."

His eyes lit up. The Darkchild was the latest German technology, and even I had to admit Id do almost anything to get a look at it. 

We walked out across the runway, taking our customary places beside the head-mechanics. The plane hit the tarmac and rolled over to us, 'Joon' adjusted his landing pattern so he could make the Darkchild's wing skim just above our heads before it came to a rest. Although I didn't want to admit it, I was curious to see what this air ace looked like, and how he conducted himself. 

The cockpit clicked and he flung it open, gesturing to ground crew that he was good solo. He slammed his hands on the edge of the pit, pulling himself out and flipping onto the wing. Any idiot could tell this man was at home in the sky. He strolled leisurely along the wing until he sat above us, legs swinging in the head mechanics face, causing us to laugh. He pulled his helmet off and tossed his hair, his scarf pulling free of his brown leather jacket to flap in the wind. 

My breath caught in my throat. 

"At ease, my friends!"

We lowered our salutes. 

"And how are we all today?"

There were shouts of 'good' and 'ah the usual', but i didn't have it in me to respond. My eyes were glued on his face; his every reaction. He smiled around at everyone, and laughed a hearty laugh, his eyes curving into attractive crescents. I felt a small grin take my lips. 

A paper boy tore across the runway with a cup of tea, eyes glued on the Darkchild in obvious admiration. We could all see what was about to happen before it did. The poor lad's shoe caught on the bitumen and he fell, tea splashing away and running between the cracks. Before anyone else had a chance to respond, Changsun leapt from the plane's wing, landing in a crouch before rushing to the boys side and taking him into his arms. 

"Christ-Arthur! Are you okay?" He looked at the young boy with concerned eyes; dark, chocolate eyes that caused my humble heart to melt. 

The boy sniffled. 

"Yes, sir! I'll go get you another tea now!"

"No bother, my boy! I'll fetch it myself later. Go and take a look inside!" The boy's face crinkled up in confusion until he realized that Changsun meant the Darkchild. The boy scrambled away to the aircraft. 

I watched him as he straightened. His eyes sparkled brightly as his hands came to rest on his hips. He was broad-shouldered with beautiful coffee skin and chocolate hair. He had a very prominent jaw and cheekbones, and very, very soft looking lips. 

"Sir, if I may, i'd like to introduce you to our crew." 

Changsun nodded and the commander went through name by name. And then, all of a sudden, those big chocolate eyes were fixed on me. 

"This is Cheolyong. We'd like to entrust him to the repairs of the Darkchild."

"It's a pleasure." He said in his deep voice, eyes never leaving mine. He took my hand and shook it, leaving me reeling from the spark we had shared. For the rest of the introductions, his gaze scarcely left me. 

And you know what? I loved it. 

---

The sun was setting as I packed up my tool kit and locked up the hanger. I yawned into the back of my hand, thoroughly tired out from the exciting day. I strolled slowly across the tarmac until I stood before the Darkchild. I looked up at her, running my hand along her side

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter