Third Year (Part 8)

Playing God (Hogwarts AU)

At first Momo thought yesterday had been a perfect day. She had gotten to practice in front of a fresh pair of eyes, won her quidditch match and attended her first party. She never joined the famous all inclusive House party previously because she never felt like she had a reason— Jisoo wasn’t the type to go out for dancing and Momo didn’t really have other friends— until yesterday. 

 

When the night came however, it was something a bit less than perfect. Momo was having fun being careless, drinking and dancing unabashedly with Sana until Sana suddenly disappeared. Of course somewhere deep inside her mind was a voice telling her she should have expected Sana to ditch her. After all, what did Momo expect in playing with a snake? 

 

The image of the Slytherin leaving the Room of Requirement kept replaying in Momo’s mind. Although Momo figured that perhaps Sana didn’t really ditch her after she promised she’d be back, maybe there was some sort of emergency. She didn’t want to take it personally, she never wanted to be the one who was overreacting. But all of her previous opinions on Sana changed when she was told the truth by a girl of the name Im Nayeon. 

 

Momo had recognized Nayeon from around the castle— she was always accompanied by many friends including Sana. Nayeon had explained how Sana told her she had more important things to do than “dance with a Mudblood”, a vulgar term Momo never realized Sana used. She assumed Sana was different than the other Slytherin’s but perhaps Sana never really appreciated this short friendship as much as Momo did. Finally on the one night Momo didn’t feel like an outsider, a muggle-born, a friendless outcast… things just went wrong in a way she didn’t expect. 

 

Nayeon then began to explain further how she just felt compelled to talk to Momo, feeling as if she couldn’t possibly leave her alone without anyone to dance with. 

 

How thoughtful of Nayeon. 

 

“You came home late last night,” Jisoo mumbled through her spoonful of cornflakes as she shifted in the seat next to her. The Hufflepuff dining table was emptier than usual but that wasn’t a surprise. whenever there was a party the Hufflepuff house was known for getting stoned off their asses. Most of them now were probably still sleeping off their high. “You’re not usually like that.” Momo nodded and took a bite out of a banana muffin, her glance shifting over to the Slytherin table two rows over. 

 

“I know. I got distracted in a long conversation is all.” Momo answered casually, noticing Nayeon at the table rows ahead sipping from a grey teacup. Sana was sitting with them, her back facing Momo’s gaze. 

 

“With who?” Jisoo asked. Momo shrugged, her focus shifting back on the muffin, taking another bit. 

 

“Not sure if you know her. Her name’s Nayeon. Im Nayeon.”

 

Jisoo choked instantly on her cereal, milk dripping quickly down her chin and onto her yellow tie. Momo was startled by her dramatic reaction.

 

“You’re lying!” Jisoo gasped, gripping the edge of the table to tightly her knuckles turned white. Momo shook her head while Jisoo’s eyes glazed over and her jaw dropped to the ground. She hunched over to whisper into Momo’s ear about the girl as if she was talking about Voldemort himself. “I hear she’s the devil incarnate. Lisa told me Nayeon can speak parseltongue.”

 

Mom smiled tiredly and shook her head again. 

 

“Don’t believe everything you hear. She’s intense sure, but we ended up having a good conversation,” she explained, looking back towards where Nayeon was supposed to be sitting but she wasn’t there anymore. “I don’t think she is as bad as everyone thinks she is.”

 

“Who’s not as bad?” said a high voice behind Momo that made her spine tingle. By only the petrified expression on Jisoo’s face Momo could guess who it was. Momo turned to face girl’s intimidating standing figure.

 

The devil herself.

 

“Nayeon.”