the boy by the river

take my heart

" would everyone look to the front of the classroom?  “ mr. kim spoke to the students, who had all been previously engaged in conversation; whether it had been jokes between friends, talk of homework, or an argument. whatever it was, all faces turned to the teacher as soon as his speech sounded through the room. “ we have a new student with us this year, an exchange student from china. “

“ hello! “ the students heard, turning their attention to a boy standing by mr. kim. “ i’m luhan, your new classmate. i hope we can get along well! ” everyone kept eyes on the boy, for he was really quite stunning, with dyed blonde hair falling softly against his face and charismatic brown eyes shining as he smiled at the class.

“ i believe you’re staying with baekhyun, correct? “ mr. kim asked. luhan simply nodded in response, still brandishing a smile. “ you may sit beside him, in the back!” again, all the chinese student answered with was a nod, before quickly walking around the edge of the room the sit beside his housemate. as he made his way around the classroom, he caught a certain student looking at him. they made eye contact for a few seconds and luhan smiled at him, before the boy blushed and turned away.

luhan sat beside the younger boy and put his supplies on the desk. “ hey baek! “ he said, turning to face his already friend.

" you seem pretty happy, i actually didn’t know it was physically possible for someone to smile this much at school. “ baekhyun giggled.

“ i like school. “ luhan chuckled, “ i like to learn. ”

“ you’re weird, hyung. baekhyun shook his head, smiling.

 

𝄗𝄗𝄗𝄗𝄗

 

as luhan was walking out of school, his eyes scanned the courtyard. a few kids sat on the rock wall joking, a few under a tree, and many walking around. in particular, however, luhan noticed a boy holding a piece of paper in his palm and attempting to write a message on it with a stubby pencil; clearly something he had borrowed from his classroom.

a smile spread across the boy’s face and he shoved the pencil in his pocket. guess he wasn’t just borrowing that. i bet he’s done writing. luhan thought to himself. the boy quickly folded the paper into an airplane and tossed it in front of him. huh? the paper airplane hit a girl standing a few feet ahead of him right in the back. a surprised sound escaped her lips as she turned and saw the airplane. the boy immediately began to blush.

she bent down and picked up the airplane, unfolding it and reading what it said. her cheeks quickly turned a similar reddish pink to the boy’s. the two of them made eye contact as the girl brushed a bit of hair behind her ear and smiled back at him.

" a confession? “ luhan grinned. “ that’s adorable. “ just then he felt a buzz in his pocket, and pulled out his phone to see a message from baekhyun.

staying in the courtyard w/ my bf. find somewhere to hang out, make some friends- just wait for me to leave with you! don’t get lost!

" hm. whatever you say. “ luhan chuckled. he walked towards the rock wall, smiling at some of the people he had met throughout the day. once he reached the wall, he simply climbed over it and to the other side. on the other side of the wall, there was a very small hanok, and beyond that was a hill. luhan walked around the hanok and admired its beauty- it looked a bit similar to the siheyuan back in china. luhan began walking down the hill, where there was another rock wall, about five feet back from a river. on the wall sat a boy.

luhan walked towards him, and sat by his side. he noticed the boy writing in a journal with an ink pen. “ what’re you writing? “ he asked.

" a letter. “

" who’s it to? “ luhan spoke his next question, quite surprised the boy had answered him at all.

" my mom. “ the stranger answered again, still not looking up.

" is she out of the country? “

" she died when i was 10, “ the boy started, “ but i like to think god tells her what i’m saying. this is my 11th letter book. i write to her everyday. the weird thing is, i was never outwardly sad. i knew mom wouldn’t want that… so i write instead. it kind of controls my emotions. “

without saying a thing, luhan put his arm around the boy slowly. he leaned his head against his shoulder. again, he was surprised to not be pushed away.

" i’m sehun. what’s your name? “

" luhan. “

the boy turned and look at luhan, and immediately looked familiar-

“ hey, i say you in class earlier. you were looking at me. “ luhan smiled.

" oh, hehe… yeah… “ the other chuckled.

" you know, you’re being really strong. “ luhan said quietly, splitting himself from sehun.

" huh? “

" when i was 12 my grandmother died. i don’t mean to be odd, but she was more like a parent to me than my mother ever was. i shut myself off from everyone after that. my friends, my parents, but worst was my grandfather. when he needed me most… i left his side. i would stay out late and be irresponsible. it was the opposite of what my grandmother would have wanted me to do, but i didn’t care at that point. i hardly talk to anyone, and when people attempted to communicate with me, i pushed them away. my grandfather was sad. he had lost the only two people who spent time with him. he needed me to be there for him and i wasn’t. i hate myself for that. “ luhan suddenly spoke, telling a story he had never told anyone else.

" don’t hate yourself. “ sehun said, beginning to write again. luhan felt his phone buzz again and he saw another text from baekhyun.

hey- ready to go home if you are. where are you though?

" you know sehun, “ luhan smiled, “ my grandmother always said that strangers are the best friends. “

sehun simply smiled at him.

" i have to go now. “ luhan got up and began walking up the hill. he couldn't see it, but sehun was waving to him. once he reached the top of the hill and climbed over the wall, he spotted baekhyun quickly. “ hey! ”

 oh- there you are! ” baekhyun said. the two walked towards one another. “ ready to leave? “

" yep! “

" make any friends? “ baekhyun questioned the older male.

" yeah. “ luhan smiled, anticipating the next day when he would be able to see sehun again.

~~~~~~~~~

what did you guys think of the first chapter ?! tbh, this is one of my first times writing fluff. ever. hgjkhsrbjgksh. don't forget to upvote and subscribe! tell me in the comments if i should write more or not! i have stuff planned out, but idk if people will actually be interested! all illustrations featured are pen drawn by me. follow my tumblr @04iu! happy autumn~