Chapter Five

Urban Romance



The week had come and gone, going slow in all the wrong places and fast in the right ones.

Sumi stood at the edge of a work station in a chemistry lab besides a second year as she marked his write-up.

"And done." She murmured as her red pen its last tick on the paper before she handed it back to him. His bag was already packed to leave; he merely stuffed the paper inbetween his books and took off. "Have a great weekend." She called after him. Friday pracs were the worst, even she got that.

"Sumi, you done?" Chanyeol called from the other end of the room.

"Yeah, think that was the last guy."

They and two other prac assistants went about cleaning up the lab for 10 minutes before Chanyeol called it quits and began locking up.

"Sumi, wait up." The tall youth closed the door with a loud clack before moving her way. As he did, he fished out a huge stack of papers, which she recognized by the yellow color of the front page. Chanyeol smiled down at her triumphantly. "Took me less than a week; are you impressed?"

Though nervous, she chuckled. "Depends wholly on your report."

"I sent it to you via email, but Sumi." He awarded her with an intensely proud expression as he held up her thesis project. "This. It's amazing. I think I need to have you look over my work instead of the other way around."

Sumi frowned in disbelief. "Wait, are you serious?"

"Uhh, yeah." He deadpanned. "It's well planned, well written, the facts and research is there. You literally just need to work through the tests and experiments and summarize your findings. But this isn't just a thesis, there's some really great ideas in here."

Wordless, Sumi found herself beaming in pure happiness. She'd given the project her all since day one of choosing her thesis topic, and to have someone recognize it felt amazing. "I don't know what to say. Thank you!"

"You don't have to thank me; this is all you." He grinned in response to her own reaction. "Actually, I was wondering if you'd let me send this off to another university."

"Really? Why?" She asked in surprise, nearly losing her footing as they took the steps out of the Chemistry building. It was afternoon, and the sun was beginning its descent into early evening.

"I have a friend there," Chanyeol elaborated, "Siool Uni takes waste management and reusable resources very seriously. I'm pretty sure they'd love to read this."

Comically scratching her head, Sumi shrugged her agreement. "Uhm, sure I guess? If you think its worth it."

"Oh, it is."

They had reached the crossroads between the Science and Social Studies departments, and as they began to cross the path, a bunch of rowdy students ran past, their howls and cheers laced with alcohol. Gone were their usual clothes; each person was donned in funny costumes.

"Hey, Chanyeol." She spoke, though her eyes were still on the group. "Did you go to your Fresher's Bash?"

"Oh, is that what that is?" He laughed as he watched the group disappear into the distance. "Yeah, I did. Good times. I met a few good friends there. How was yours?"

His question was met with annoyed silence.

"Really, Sumi?" He muttered, to which she rolled her eyes.

"There wasn't a grade for partygoing, so I didn't go. I didn't even know about it until this week."

"Fresher's Bash is like a university tradition." Chanyeol insisted cheerfully. "You should go at least once."

"Well, I planned to get some studying in tonight, so."

"Of course you did." He retorted without skipping a beat. It was well-known that Sumi was driven in her studies and not much else. "Anyhow, my car's this way. You want a lift back to your dorm?"

"No, thanks. I like walking."

"Of course you do. Be safe, Sumi"

"You too. See ya."

It wasn't a lie - Sumi did like the walk back to her dorm. It took about thirty minutes, and the path was a mixture of buildings and pretty foliage here and there, and if the area was less-populated, you'd be lucky enough to see a cat or two.

Sumi used the time to think, her mind going from the positive feedback on her thesis to nearly everyone's concern on her lack of otherwise enjoyment. She wasn't going do anything about it - because her studies was enjoyable- but it was a little annoying, nonetheless. Lips set in a pout, Sumi wondered if she had missed out. Even if she had, though, she knew it was a sacrifice she'd make again and again. Her studies had always come first.

The sky was turning pink by the time she reached the dorms, and the sun set the horizon ablaze. Smiling at the picture, she entered the dorm building and moved towards her room. Before opening the door, she could already hear Yoonmi's excited chatter. The door swung open, and she was met with fish nets and leather and  even some fur. And a lot of skin.

"What are you two supposed to be?" She asked in greeting as she walked inside.

"Isn't it obvious?" Jisu asked, pins in as she fixed her hair in the small mirror against the wall.

"y is not a costume."

"I like that answer." Jisu wiggled her behind to her words. She reached for the purple pointed hat on Yoonmi's bed and placed it at an angle on her head. "I am a witch."

"Ask her where her mole is." Yoonmi prodded. 

"Where's your mole?"

"You gotta look for it." Jisu answered with a wink.

"Oh my." Was all she managed to say as she moved to place her things down  on her desk before sittinf on her bed while watching them get ready. "And you, Yoonmi?"

"Oh, I'm a mix of catlady and nurse." Yoonmi pointed at her fluffy white tail and cat-ears while twirling in the soft-pink and very short nurse's dress.

"She couldn't decide."

"Well, if the point is to show off your legs, then your costume is doing its job."

"Aww, you always know what to say." Yoonmi threw herself against Sumi in a hug, and they both went tumbling onto the bed. "Are you sure you don't wanna come with?"

Sumi managed a muffled "yeah" from beneath her friend.

"I have a spare costume on my bed. It doesn't agree with my thighs, but I'm sure you can pull it off."

To this, Sumi laughed as she fought her way out of Yoonmi's embrace. "I think I'll pass. I've got my own exciting evening planned."

"Yeah?"

"Study date."

"With who?" Jisu asked in shock.

"Uhh.." Sumi stuttered, and eventually sighed in defeat. "I didn't realise that meant I have to have someone with me. I'm just going to study."

She was met with rolling eyes.

An hour later, the group left the dormroom, all suited up and ready for the long night ahead. At the dorm entrance, Jongdae was standing in wait, and his appearance called for one reaction, and one reaction only. All three girls burst into laughter.

"You laugh, this thing was ing expensive." He somehow managed to brag and whine at the same time. Only his face was visible, the rest of his body enveloped by a green and black bulky dinosaur costume. 

"Good thing you're loaded then." Jisu commented as she walked up to him, ready to poke at the thick leather of his costume with her plastic witch'es wand.

"Which should be an indicator of its price, if I'm still complaining about it."

"Of all costumes." Sumi laughingly partook in the light banter while Yoonmi joined Jisu in inspecting the guy's outfit.

"Well, it sure beats being the hundredth Tony Stark or Edward Cullen. This is original." And if he could look more ridiculous, he gave his yellow belly a smack with his small dinosaur hands. "And what are you supposed to be?"

Sumi looked down at her usual clothes and  bag of books. "A student on her way to the library?"

Jongdae's jovial mood evaporated, now replaced with a confused scowl. "Now?"

"Yeah?"

A full fledged frown lining his features, Jongdae waddled over towards her while the two girls seemed to be arguing over something on Jisu's phone. His little arms were moving hilariously as he spoke, making it hard to take him seriously.

"How long do you stay there?"

"Depends on how much I get done. Usually a few hours, though. Why does that matter?"

"Sumi, campus is going to be especially rowdy tonight," Jongdae warned, "meaning anything could happen. Are you at least meeting someone there?"

"No. Look, I'll be fine."

Jongdae stared at her, with the same look he gave Yoonmi whenever she mistakenly mentioned Baekhyun during their conversations. He was looking at her with disappointment.

"Wait here." He mumbled with a sigh before waddling back over to the others. After exchanging a few words, he waddled back her way. A small arm waved ahead of her.

"Jongin's meeting them at the bash, so.. Let's go."

Sumi stood in place, but her eyebrow skyrocketed at his words. Without missing a beat, he repeated the action.

"Let's go."

She opened to defend herself again. She was a big girl. But something about the way his usually upturned lips were set in a scowl sent weird shivers down her spine.

She wasn't particularly scared. It was merely baffling, because Jongdae was genuinely upset. He really wanted to go to the bash. 

But he wasn't.

Did Jongdae care? About her?

So without another word - because he really looked like he was about to lose his temper-  she the heel of her boots and began her way towards the campus library, green dinosaur waddling behind.

 

 


A/N: ^^' Sorry I know this chapter has minimal Jongdae interaction, but the next will xD

As always, thanks for reading~~~