Chapter One

Urban Romance

Noisy.

So noisy.

Sumi had always assumed there was a reason she avoided dance clubs, but having never entered one, she could only assume. Now, it was quite evident what it was that she disliked.

Everything.

The blaring noise of club music, the purple lights floating about the high-domed ceiling sending short waves of pain through her eyes, the smell of vodka and sweat, the inability to hear oneself think, the horribly tight black dress she'd been forced to wear or the full face of make-up so thick it felt like a mask.

Everything.

But what was pissing her off the most was the guy opposite her, drink in one hand and dancing on the spot. She wasn't sure what was more irking, the fact that he didn't recognize her, or the fact that he didn't care that she'd been sending him black vibes the whole two hours they'd been in each other's presence.

She picked up her black purse, dark high ponytail flying as she tried to pinpoint the exit. Looking towards her two friends, she found the taller busy with her current boyfriend, and the other playing with the straw of her drink while chattingly engaging 'him.' Well, Jongdae. As much as she wanted to, Sumi had been unable to forget his name. That's what you get when your brain is on permanent study mode, even while drinking during school break.

Placing a hand on her friend's arm, Sumi shouted over the music.

"Yoonmi, I'm gonna head out. I'll get a cab, so don't worry."

"What?" Yoonmi's eyebrows raised in surprise. "Oh, come on Sumi! I know this isn't your scene, but don't go yet. We haven't even gotten to dancing yet. Jisu, tell her!"

"Sumi, you're not leaving!" Said girl spoke up, though her eyes didn't leave her boyfriend's for another few seconds. "I didn't spend all that time on your make up and forcing you into that dress just so you could leave before messing it up either dancing or making out with someone. This is our last night to go wild before our last year of studies. Tonight, we party!"

Rolling light-brown eyes, she pointedly took a swig of the beer in front of her. Jisu laughingly shook her head at her friend's stubbornness.

"C'mon!" The woman backstepped into the crowd towards the dancefloor, pulling the taller guy with her, who happily obliged.

"You wanna dance, Sumi?" Yoonmi asked, her tone light-hearted, but she had obviously picked up on the tense situation between Sumi and Jongdae, who, it seemed couldn't hear over the music and continued dancing in the spot.

"No thanks. You two can go, though."

"Haha, that'd be weird." Yoonmi chuckled, tucking a few strands of golden behind her ear as her dark eyes darted between the two. "Uhm, I dunno if you heard me introduce Jongdae earlier-"

"I heard."

"Er..."

This time, he did turn around, his lips set in a patronizing smirk. "Hey. What's up? Did I pronounce your name wrong when we met? You're ruining the vibe."

Sumi's mouth fell open, and anger rolled out with her words. "I'm sorry, I guess? Think maybe you're the one ruining my vibe?"

"Oh, sure." He replied with all the calm and chill in the world. "You've made it pretty clear this kind of place is beneath you. Uppety, aren't we? You want a Vodka Tonic with that attitude?"

"What the hell?" Her voice raised, offense clearly taken. "Look, you clearly know about me."

"Uhm, I'm gonna get another round of drinks." Yoonmi piped in a small voice as she floated away from the face-off, and had they been paying attention, they would have heard her whispered add-on. "And hopefully a guy who can get me away from you two."

"So?" Jongdae pointedly spoke up after Yoonmi disappeared. "Wanna clear the air as to why you've been giving me the cold shoulder all night? I'm just trying to enjoy the night like everyone else. What exactly did I do to offend you?"

Seething, Sumi took another swallow of her drink, as if pointing out that yes - she drank beer, not high end drinks. Finally, hitting the empty bottle down on the table with a thud, she looked his way, mouthing each syllable of her sentence with intense eloquence.

"You left halfway through our date?"

Jongdae blinked, confusion belying his face for five, four, three, two...

"Oh my ing face, that was you??" He literally screeched, eyes widening in realization as he tried to take in her appearance again, like he was seeing her for the first time. Then he laughed, to her fury. "Wait, yeah! You're dressed differently, and maybe that's a bit more make-up than you need, but yeah. Definitely you! How's that boring thesis working out for you?"

"Really?" She aimed narrow eyes his way, her blood practically boiling now that she'd opened the lid to her anger that she'd been holding onto since their blind date three months before. "You're not even gonna apologize?"

"Oh, come on!" He laughed. "You probably don't go on a lot of dates if you think a thesis project is a conversation starter. Especially one about.. What was it, Tupperware?"

"Plastic!"

"Oh my god, that's even worse." He ended up laughing even more, tears forming at the corners of his eyes.

Her face was red with fury at that point.

 "You're a jerk." She seethed, after finding no other comeback.

She couldn't decide what was more infuriating, the fact that he wouldn't apologize or the fact that he didn't even seem phased by what he'd done.

Noticing that she wasn't calming down, he reached out to pat her on the arm. "Come on, that happened like, months ago. Are you going to hold a grudge?"

She jerked away from his touch, narrowing her eyes at him. "You made a bootycall right in front of me before leaving."

He blinked, a sheepish grin belying his sharp features. "Oh, you knew... Ok, I'll apologize for that. That was a move."

"The whole thing was a move!"

"Ok, ok." He merely laughed further, eyes crinkling in mirth, like a spoilt brat who knew he was doing wrong but couldn't care. "But honestly, whether I apologize or not, you've decided I'm a lost cause already, haven't you?"

"Obvious, isn't it?" She muttered sarcastically, cradling a new bottle against her face to cool down from her anger outburst.

"Well, then." He turned towards the dancefloor. "There's no point in me standing here. Maybe when you're drunk enough, you'll join me?"

"Pfft." Was her only answer, but he'd already disappeared to the center of the club.

Chest still heaving slightly at her outburst, Sumi felt her mood had turned completely sour. True, this wasn't her scene, but like her friends had promised, she had hoped to have a little fun tonight. In the end, it had just ruined clubs for her in general.

Then again, that wasn't a bad thing entirely. Now she had the experience and could move on freely with no regrets.

"Sumi? Why aren't you dancing?" Jisu returned, disbelief on her face, which was bright with sweat and exhilaration. She reached out for Sumi's hand and pulled her friend towards the dancefloor.

"I..." Then again, if she wasn't going to come back ever, maybe some dancing wouldn't be too bad. Holding back against the pull of her friend for just long enough, Sumi finished her beer in one go, then she let herself be led onto the floor, brushing up against bodies in the crowded area. Jisu led her further in, already beginning to move to the music, and Sumi followed her lead.

"Sumi!" Yoonmi's voice reached her ear, and a slender hand wrapped around her waist. "You made it!"

"What the hell, right?" She shouted back as she raised her arms above her head, letting the music take over.

No regrets.

 


A/N: Hello, hello ^^ welcome to this story. I hope you'll enjoy our cat and dog Jongdae and Sumi banter haha. There was another part to this chapter, but I decided to break the chapters into smaller parts. That way, I update faster since this story should be finished before the deadline. So yeah! Wish me luck?

Thanks for reading~~